Brisbane Wine Club - The Darra Dump?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
beef

Brisbane Wine Club - The Darra Dump?

Post by beef »

Hi all,

It's about time I organised (and attended) one of these again.

The Brisbane Wine Club hasn't been to a Chinese restaurant yet, and that should be remedied.

My vote goes to Kim Khanh, located on the former site of the municipal garbage dump in Darra :) I know it's far from town, but I reckon it has the best Chinese food in Brisbane (I also like The Vietnamese Restaurant in Fortitude Valley, but don't think it's as good).

Other suggestions are of course welcome.

I nominate Friday the 13th of July.

IMO, these dinners work best with a variety of wines. So the theme should be: bring something good.

One bottle per person.

Expect the food to be cheap, and the glassware to be crap.

So, who's coming?

Stuart

Santa

Post by Santa »

I am not actually a member of the Brisbane Wine Club, but would love to come along, if there are not too many objections. :oops:

Please :D

Cheers,
Maria

PS. Friday the 13th is a devilishly good date :twisted:
"I have made an important discovery... that alcohol, taken in sufficient quantities, produces all the effects of intoxication".

Oscar Wilde 1854-1900

Iconic Wines Distribution

beef

Post by beef »

Santa wrote:I am not actually a member of the Brisbane Wine Club, but would love to come along, if there are not too many objections. :oops:

Please :D

Cheers,
Maria

PS. Friday the 13th is a devilishly good date :twisted:

** Come one, come all.

It's not a club with formal membership, per se. In the past, it's consisted of basically the same people who attended the Giardinetto offline.

You organised that one, did you not?

Looking forward to seeing new faces.

Stuart

Santa

Post by Santa »

Thanks Stuart. Yes, I did organize the last one.

Please put me down, plus my friend Kim. Last time I took her daughter Zoe along.

Let me know if I can assist in any way.

Maria
"I have made an important discovery... that alcohol, taken in sufficient quantities, produces all the effects of intoxication".

Oscar Wilde 1854-1900

GrahamB

Post by GrahamB »

Stuart

I have been eating there for many years. It was originally a soup kitchen.

You may need to start early as they don't like to stay open late.

I love there 'Salt n Pepper Squid' and 'Pork Spare Ribs in BBQ Sauce'

Might have to check my calendar and ask for an invite.

Graham
Chardonnay: A drink you have when there is no RED wine, the beer hasn't arrived and the water may be polluted

chillwrx

Re: Brisbane Wine Club - The Darra Dump?

Post by chillwrx »

beef wrote:Hi all,

It's about time I organised (and attended) one of these again.

The Brisbane Wine Club hasn't been to a Chinese restaurant yet, and that should be remedied.

My vote goes to Kim Khanh, located on the former site of the municipal garbage dump in Darra :) I know it's far from town, but I reckon it has the best Chinese food in Brisbane (I also like The Vietnamese Restaurant in Fortitude Valley, but don't think it's as good).

Other suggestions are of course welcome.

I nominate Friday the 13th of July.

IMO, these dinners work best with a variety of wines. So the theme should be: bring something good.

One bottle per person.

Expect the food to be cheap, and the glassware to be crap.

So, who's coming?

Stuart

What's with the one bottle per person? I only break out the good stuff on occasions like this.

I would love to go but a babysitter will be an issue on that night at this stage but I am working on it.

And I may bring a pinot. 8)

beef

Post by beef »

chillwrx wrote:What's with the one bottle per person? I only break out the good stuff on occasions like this.

** How many bottles of wine do you like to consume in a single evening? Personally, I'm completely sauced after a single bottle.

Feel free to bring more though (even if it is Pinot) :-)

We may have to bump it by a week anyway. I think 2 weeks from the first post was a bit ambitious.

Also, everyone should feel free to nominate what they'll be bringing. Mine will be a Morris CD Reserve Tokay, and maybe a Peter Lehmann 2002 Shiraz Muscadelle if I bring a friend.

Stuart

chillwrx

Post by chillwrx »

beef wrote:
chillwrx wrote:What's with the one bottle per person? I only break out the good stuff on occasions like this.

** How many bottles of wine do you like to consume in a single evening? Personally, I'm completely sauced after a single bottle.

Feel free to bring more though (even if it is Pinot) :-)

We may have to bump it by a week anyway. I think 2 weeks from the first post was a bit ambitious.

Also, everyone should feel free to nominate what they'll be bringing. Mine will be a Morris CD Reserve Tokay, and maybe a Peter Lehmann 2002 Shiraz Muscadelle if I bring a friend.

Stuart

I think the minimum consumed at any offline I have been to has been at least 1.5 bottles consumed per diner - the other place has a good calculation. I like one white and one red which works out to one per person if a couple is going anyway.

A tokay would be at least two bottles I would have thought in terms of ability to knock you over!

A bit later in the month would be good for us.

redstuff

Post by redstuff »

sounds good.
will have to check dates.

redstuff

Post by redstuff »

dont forget the one wine event not to miss - The RNA wine show, on Saturday the 14th (+3000 bottles)- this is NOT the brisbane wine festival.

GrahamB

Post by GrahamB »

redstuff wrote:dont forget the one wine event not to miss - The RNA wine show, on Saturday the 14th (+3000 bottles)- this is NOT the brisbane wine festival.

Judging starts this Sunday 8th. I have been invited to steward again and am looking forward to it. I understand we are using Riedels this year. The RNA had to purchase new glasses and glass washers to fit the new bigger glasses.

Trophies are presented on Thursday night 12th, trade tasting Friday 13th from 7.30am to 11am and public tasting on Saturday 14th.

Graham
Chardonnay: A drink you have when there is no RED wine, the beer hasn't arrived and the water may be polluted

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I am new to the forum, live in Brisbane and would like to be counted in (2 people) for this wine dinner, thanks, glen

beef

Post by beef »

Anyone mind if this gets bumped by a week to July 21? Enough people have availability problems on the 14th to justify this, IMO

Also, getting spastic on the 14th might diminish peoples' appreciation of the RNA show the next day :)

Finally, I think we should make it The Vietnamese Restaurant in Fortitude Valley. It's more central, and they stay open later and the food's pretty darn good.

Thanks,

Stuart

Santa

Post by Santa »

I am in agreement with changes. Looking forward to it.

Cheers,
Maria

Oscar Wilde 1854-1900

chillwrx

Post by chillwrx »

beef wrote:Anyone mind if this gets bumped by a week to July 21? Enough people have availability problems on the 14th to justify this, IMO

Also, getting spastic on the 14th might diminish peoples' appreciation of the RNA show the next day :)

Finally, I think we should make it The Vietnamese Restaurant in Fortitude Valley. It's more central, and they stay open later and the food's pretty darn good.

Thanks,

Stuart

Why suggest the chinese in Darra then :shock: :wink:

We are out for the 21st unfortunately - in Melbourne.

Santa

Post by Santa »

Bugger Craig....I was saving a Pinot for you, that a winemaker gave me at the Brisbane Fine Wine Festival on the weekend.

Will just have to hold on to it for next time. :(

Have fun in Melbourne.

Cheers,
Maria

Oscar Wilde 1854-1900

Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Apologies - can't make either.
Cheers Mark

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

Rudy wrote:Apologies - can't make either.
Cheers Mark

Ditto from me and Yasmin, I'm afraid.
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

beef

Post by beef »

Balls. Well, there's no point in having an off-line if nobody can attend :)

How's the 27th for everyone?

beef

Post by beef »

*bump*

Who's up for the 27th (or any other date, for that matter)?

Thanks,

Stuart

Santa

Post by Santa »

Yep, me :)

Maria

Oscar Wilde 1854-1900

chillwrx

Post by chillwrx »

Santa wrote:Yep, me :)

Maria

The week after would be great for us - in Melbourne the 27th.

redstuff

Post by redstuff »

so whats the plan?