wine wives tales

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
graham

wine wives tales

Post by graham »

Just curious if there are any other goodies.
Told a friend I had a few wines in the cellar and his response was to ask if I turned them regularly :shock:
As far as i know, you don't touch em :!:
Any other gems :?: :?:
Nothing is so effective in keeping one young and full of lust as a discriminating palate thoroughly satisfied at least once a day.

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

not sure about wives tales but im beginning to think there are some wine axoms that are held way way too important.

cellar temperature/ ambiant cellar (ok i live in nz so it might be more important in aussie). my ambiant cellar seems to perform as well as my wine fridge

bottle shock, letting a wine rest for a month after carrying from the cellar to the table will be next on the agenda!!
Follow me on Vivino for tasting notes Craig Thomson

James Scarcebrook

Post by James Scarcebrook »

I work in a Cellar Door in the Yarra Valley, so I get plenty of questions regarding wives tales which I try to demystify. Some good ones have been;
Spoons left in open bottles/glasses of Sparkling wine to keep the bubbles? (I work at Chandon)? :roll:
Correct serving temperatures? (i.e. white at room temperature, pinot chilled, all personal really!)
Types of glasses to serve wine in? (has anyone noticed in American movies from the 90s and before they serve it in ice cream bowl glasses, not flutes?!? :shock: )
Two 'wives tales' which I know are true are the fact that Methode Traditionelle sparkling wine is better for the hangover, because I discovered it on Boxing Day last year, after I'd drunk mostly bubbles the day before. The bottle shock thing is true, which I discovered when the winery released it's '06 Sav Blanc. The first few weeks it tasted very dull and metallic, but then it opened up suddenly and was lovely. I'm sure I'll think of more odd questions I've had another time (there's lots!).

Partagas

Post by Partagas »

Agree that the “bottle shock” thing actually does happen. I have stopped buying expensive/premium bottles of wine straight from a retailer when I am drinking straight away (going to restaurant etc). Always now from own collection. 90% of the time I would buy a make and vintage that I know is great, but it would always seem to be strangely mixed up on the nose and palette. If I do however keep it in my storage conditions for around week or so, then bang back to normal. This experience is from different retailers, although the shops that do have professional like storage conditions unfortunately tend to be way over priced.
Last edited by Partagas on Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chillwrx

Post by chillwrx »

The Hunter Valley is a serious wine region ? :twisted:

Bracing myself :lol:

Hunter semillon is definitely growing on me I am almost ashamed to say.
Last edited by chillwrx on Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

The bottle shock thing is true, which I discovered when the winery released it's '06 Sav Blanc. The first few weeks it tasted very dull and metallic, but then it opened up suddenly and was lovely. I'm sure I'll think of more odd questions I've had another time (there's lots!).

agree, weird things happen just after bottling

i was meaning shock from transporting from a-b

Hunter Man

Post by Hunter Man »

chillwrx wrote:The Hunter Valley is a serious wine region ? :twisted:

Bracing myself :lol:

Chillwrx is a serious person :twisted: :evil:

danclarke

Post by danclarke »

James Scarcebrook wrote: (has anyone noticed in American movies from the 90s and before they serve it in ice cream bowl glasses, not flutes?!? :shock: )

It's called a coupe. Flutes are so yesterday

James Scarcebrook

Post by James Scarcebrook »

Craig(NZ) wrote:
The bottle shock thing is true, which I discovered when the winery released it's '06 Sav Blanc. The first few weeks it tasted very dull and metallic, but then it opened up suddenly and was lovely. I'm sure I'll think of more odd questions I've had another time (there's lots!).

Not yet experienced THAT phenomenon, how often is this supposed to happen? Anyone know what causes it? It scares me! :shock:

griff

Post by griff »

James Scarcebrook wrote:
Craig(NZ) wrote:

Not yet experienced THAT phenomenon, how often is this supposed to happen? Anyone know what causes it? It scares me! :shock:

See this thread

http://forum.auswine.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=6833

For what it is worth I DO experience this phenomenon but with mostly young reds. Sometimes I just can't wait and open the day or two after delivery. Examples that spring to mind are Noon's Eclipse and cleanskin, Mike Press 05 Shiraz and Cabernet and 06 Shiraz, Rockford's Moppa Springs 02 I think as well as a 2002 Leasingham Classic Clare Shiraz. Some of those wines had just been in bottle perhaps but I am certain that the Rockford and the Leasingham were in the bottle for a year at least prior to transport! These same wines changed markedly a month or so down the track. I think the marked change from closed and muted nose and flavours to a lovely wine in such a short space of time is unlikely to be bottle development.

But if you don't experience it or you use NZ transportation services then you don't have to worry about it! :twisted:

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

Craig and Brian are mates.

:P

Muscat Mike

Post by Muscat Mike »

Transport bottle shock is a bit of an old wives tale I reckon. Many times I have travelled with wine and consumed a day later and been fine.
One example flew to NZ with '86 JR et al. The JR was consumed, along with some magnificent NZ lamb, in the home of Craig the friendly, and quite tame, Kiwi.
I feel Craig will back me when I say it was quite drinkable.
As yet I have not had a problem with transporting wine.
Mike.

Scanlon

Post by Scanlon »

I thought this thread was all about wine widows... :lol:

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

Aussie (or New World) wines don't age

One some may not be aware of: Store bottles with the label upright. No, it's not about how it ages, but that when pouring a bottle that has been stored on it's side, the pourer can avoid overly disturbing any sediment, by knowing which side the sediment is on (i.e. keeping the label uppermost). The only catch I can see is you have to bring the bottle upright to open it!

Yes, would agree that there's plenty of unsubstantiated truths spoken about wine storage and I recall one retailer in Amsterdam saying a particular wine "would keep well for 8-10 years at 13C, or about a year at 18C" The only catch was his shop was around 20C at the time!

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Transport bottle shock is a bit of an old wives tale I reckon. Many times I have travelled with wine and consumed a day later and been fine.
One example flew to NZ with '86 JR et al. The JR was consumed, along with some magnificent NZ lamb, in the home of Craig the friendly, and quite tame, Kiwi.
I feel Craig will back me when I say it was quite drinkable.
As yet I have not had a problem with transporting wine.
Mike.

A bloody sensational wine Mike which is still talked about by us and the Aussie Cousins! Quote from Mels Aussie Cousin from a recent E Mail:

"Craig, you will be pleased to note that Anthony is telling everyone how much he enjoyed the wine he drank at the dinner party - hopefully he now has a new appreciation for good wines!"

They dont seem to be complaining about transport shock! Mind you i doubt helen clark naked could shock a 86 JR