Best Shiraz under $15

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
NeilHK

Best Shiraz under $15

Post by NeilHK »

Calling for opinions on great value shiraz.

Last year I asked this question before heading home and the winner was Hardy's Oomoo Shiraz by a canter. I'm enjoying it immensely here in HK where it is now widely available for about $20AUD.

I'd like to hear about your current favourites at around $15.

John #11

Post by John #11 »

It's not straight Shiraz, but I really find the 2006 Rawson's Retreat Shiraz Cabernet sensational value, often on special for $6 or $7 a bottle.

Halliday rated it at 89 points :shock:

Partagas

Post by Partagas »

Juniper Estate "Crossing" Shiraz is exceptional (I think $15 bottle)

Alkoomi shiraz viognier is also very good (around 15-20)

Hunter Man

Post by Hunter Man »

Bin 28 when it's on a rediculous special. I've picked it up for around 15-16 bucks before. Great value at those prices.

Grant

Post by Grant »

Try the Longhop Shiraz 2006. $15. Good wine.

Cheers

steeley

Post by steeley »

The 2004 Jim Barry Lodge Hill Shiraz is a steal at $12.50 from cellar door

jester

Post by jester »

Peter Lehmann Cab or Shiraz

Leasingham Bastion Shiraz Cab

Mildara Cabernet

Post by 707 »

Grant wrote:Try the Longhop Shiraz 2006. $15. Good wine. Cheers

Grant, I tried this last night, exceptional wine for the price, real concentration and class way above it's price point. Can Dominic Torzi do no wrong? So impressed was I that I immediately ordered two cases.

Torzi Schist Rock is yet another stunner around this mark and the 2006 Rolf Binder Shiraz completes a recent bargain trio to grace my cellar.

Wines of this class at this price must soon disappear as the grape shortage bites so buy up, we've never had it so good and may never again.
Cheers - Steve
If you can see through it, it's not worth drinking!

KMP

Post by KMP »

steeley wrote:The 2004 Jim Barry Lodge Hill Shiraz is a steal at $12.50 from cellar door

I’d also vote for the Lodge Hill, although I haven’t tried the 2004. I bought a 6-pack of the 2002 to see how a cheap 15+% alcohol Shiraz might age. I opened one last weekend. Its developed a very appealing herbal/savory nose and although its not as well structured as it was early in its life, its still quite drinkable and that 15+% alcohol was not a problem at all.

Mike

TORB

Post by TORB »

Agree on the Longhop.
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

GrahamB

Post by GrahamB »

steeley wrote:The 2004 Jim Barry Lodge Hill Shiraz is a steal at $12.50 from cellar door

Is $12.50 correct? Seems to be around $17.
Chardonnay: A drink you have when there is no RED wine, the beer hasn't arrived and the water may be polluted

steeley

Post by steeley »

GrahamB wrote:Is $12.50 correct? Seems to be around $17.

Yeah if you get a dozen its only $150 an absolute steal considering the 2005 just won a gold medal at the Decanter Wine Awards

rednut

Post by rednut »

Was in Newcastle this week and tried a 2002 Yalumba Barossa Shiraz. Was sensational and only $10.90 a bottle on special at BWS. :wink:

Hers the link to the wine.

http://www.yalumba.com/vintage.asp?p=154&l=43&v=796

Lovely drop to my surprise... 8)
"A woman drove me to drink, and I'll be a son of a gun but I never even wrote to thank her" WC Fields

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

rednut wrote:Was in Newcastle this week and tried a 2002 Yalumba Barossa Shiraz. Was sensational and only $10.90 a bottle on special at BWS. :wink:

Yalumba cab shiraz 2002 is a very nice wine and the barn's current catalogue advertises the varietal shiraz for $12.99 - but they didn't get any stock which seems to happen a bit too often. I may have to check out a BWS store.

Can you elaborate on "sensational"?

Cheers

daz

aj_syrah

Post by aj_syrah »

Buller 'caspia' shiraz - $9, not bad for an el cheapo wine. The previous vintage Oomoo (04) was very good for the price, but the current one is industrial plonk, with hints of polyethylene and Styrofoam. Another good one is the 03 mount pleasant phillip.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

- Mc William's Mount Pleasant Philip 03
- Mc William's Barwang 01
- Rosemount Hill of Gold 04

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

Grant wrote:Try the Longhop Shiraz 2006. $15. Good wine.

Cheers

Had this over the weekend with the Auswine panel.

Its a beauty! If you like flavoursome Shiraz wines, you'd be hard pressed to beat this!

Big wine though.

If you want a Cabernet and some great quality but subtlety, 2005 Mike Press Cabernet!
regards

Gavin Trott

aj_syrah

Post by aj_syrah »

Try the Longhop Shiraz 2006

Where would one go about finding this wine, in melbourne?

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

aj_syrah wrote:
Try the Longhop Shiraz 2006

Where would one go about finding this wine, in melbourne?

Try here:

http://www.auswine.com.au/search.asp?Ac ... ds=longhop

or try here:

http://www.oldplains.com/Wines.htm

Don't know about Melbourne. I mostly buy from internet retailers or from cellar door via the internet these days and generally only get day-to-day wines from local retailers.

Cheers

daz

aj_syrah

Post by aj_syrah »

Thanks Daz.

rednut

Post by rednut »

Daryl Douglas wrote:
rednut wrote:Was in Newcastle this week and tried a 2002 Yalumba Barossa Shiraz. Was sensational and only $10.90 a bottle on special at BWS. :wink:

Yalumba cab shiraz 2002 is a very nice wine and the barn's current catalogue advertises the varietal shiraz for $12.99 - but they didn't get any stock which seems to happen a bit too often. I may have to check out a BWS store.

Can you elaborate on "sensational"?

Cheers

daz

My mistake after further checking of bankcard slips it was the Yalumba
2002 Y Series Shiraz I had.... :?

Heres the link for that wine..sorry for the confusion.

http://www.yalumba.com/vintage.asp?p=15 ... =238&v=744

By sensational I meant smooth, lots of plum and berries, a little cracked pepper and a long lingering taste... :wink:
"A woman drove me to drink, and I'll be a son of a gun but I never even wrote to thank her" WC Fields

fred

Post by fred »

If you try the Seppelts Victorian Premium shiraz 2004 I think you will be VERY pleasantly surprised (unless you are looking for a fruit bomb).

Preferably taste from Riedel vinum shiraz or similar so that you gert a considerably better nose: hints of pepper & spice which are lost from lesser glasses.

IMHO it blows away the competition at the stated pricepoint - and you get change on specials!

Shiraz Man

Best Shiraz under $15

Post by Shiraz Man »

Water Wheel Shiraz 2005 is sensational, choc full of flavour, and can be purchased for under $15.00 if you shop around.

This wine year in year out continues to be one of the best red wine bargains in Australia.

Michael McNally

Re: Best Shiraz under $15

Post by Michael McNally »

Shiraz Man wrote:Water Wheel Shiraz 2005 is sensational, choc full of flavour, and can be purchased for under $15.00 if you shop around.

This wine year in year out continues to be one of the best red wine bargains in Australia.

Concur, though can't comment on the 2005 (yet). The 2004 was exceptional VFM. One of the best under $25 shiraz on the market last year, let alone under $15!
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

Scoobth

Post by Scoobth »

My first real recommendation for this forum.

Richmond Grove Barossa Shiraz 2002
Can be purchased from dan murphies for about $15 a bottle per 6 pack, and it is drinking great right now! Definatly a winner

Vintage cellars have some great tasting notes on it as well.

rwatkins

Bin 28

Post by rwatkins »

I've said it before and I will say it again, we get screwed over the Penfolds here in Canada. All the Bin wines are the same price. Bin 389, 407, 28 128 are all $35.00 Canadian. There are so many other wines cheaper, or made in smaller quantities that interest me more I almost never buy Pennies any more except in the great vintages. St Henri for $45 on the other hand is a must buy almost every vintage. Currant one is 2002 which I've heard is great. Thanks - Rick
Red Wine is the Blood of Life

Scoobth

Re: Bin 28

Post by Scoobth »

rwatkins wrote: St Henri for $45 on the other hand is a must buy almost every vintage. Currant one is 2002 which I've heard is great. Thanks - Rick

so with $15 the O.P. might be able to get a glass and a half? :D

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

Scoobth wrote:My first real recommendation for this forum.

Richmond Grove Barossa Shiraz 2002
Can be purchased from dan murphies for about $15 a bottle per 6 pack, and it is drinking great right now! Definatly a winner

Vintage cellars have some great tasting notes on it as well.

Scoobth, in case you hadn't realised, this forum is provided by a wine e-tailer, we try not to mention his competitior's deals too much here, although Gavin is pretty tolerant, especially where it's a wine he doesn't stock.
Cheers
Brian
Life's too short to drink white wine and red wine is better for you too! :-)

Scoobth

Post by Scoobth »

I wont insult him with drawing attention to those horrible retailers again :P My appologies!

NeilHK

Post by NeilHK »

Thanks everyone!

Ordered a dozen Long Hop Shiraz and my old mum reports it arrived safe and sound.

In four weeks I'll be trying it.

Very efficient service from Aus Wine Centre too.

Thanks for your input people.

Neil