NZ Wine Shops

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Anonymous

NZ Wine Shops

Post by Anonymous »

Hi All,
Does anyone have any recommendations for online wine retailers in NZ? Am currently based in Sydney, but am one of the few who will be heading back and would like to start a cellar in the meantime. Storage will be in a friends cellar in Auckland.
From New Zealand i'm mainly interested in Hawkes Bay reds, but also want to pick up some French (Bordeaux and Rhone) to tuck away.

Thanks in advance.

Bill

Post by Bill »

I've been looking into NZ wines shops myself as well recently, as I'm intending on going to NZ on holidays soon. The best ones I've found so far are:

Regional Wines & Spirits (which is in Wellington)
http://www.regionalwines.co.nz/

First Glass (Auckland)
http://first-glass.co.nz/storefront.asp

Scenic Cellars (Taupo)
http://www.sceniccellars.co.nz/
Scenic Cellars in particular seem to have a substantial amount of Bordeaux listed on their website.

If anyone else knows of any better ones, let me know.

ps. Apologies to Gavin if it’s inappropriate for me to mention other retailers on here, but I didn’t think any NZ retailers would be in competition with Gavin’s business. If this posting is inappropriate then you have my sincere apologies, and please delete this posting.

Bill
Last edited by Bill on Sat May 26, 2007 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Good suggestions; would echo FWDC in Auckland. Wait for CraigNZ and Sue to jump in with their comments. PMs sent.

Cheers,
Max
-----
Avant d’être bon, un vin doit être vrai

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

The Wellington and Taupo recco's are good ones. Worth a hop down to Taupo from Auckland, as the place has a nice feel to it and Scenic Cellars warrants a good ferret around downstairs.

Maybe mailing lists might be an option as well?

regards

Ian

SueNZ

Post by SueNZ »

Maximus wrote:Good suggestions; would echo FWDC in Auckland. Wait for CraigNZ and Sue to jump in with their comments. PMs sent.

Cheers,

I work for First Glass - but only in the capacity of writing their tasting notes from their Wednesday tastings - even though I am probably biased. But I do have to say they an excellent selection of wines, and if there is something someone wants that they don't have in stock, they will do their hardest to find some for you. You can order online - or send them an email - they will respond on Monday.

Hawkes Bay reds - just tasted the Craggy Range Gimblett Gravels Merlot 2005 - and it's a cracker. Craggy Range Sophia 2005 is good too, but on price comparison, it's hard to go past the CRGG Merlot. There's still some 2005 Coleraine around, so I would recommend grabbing some of that without too much delay. Some strikingly good Syrahs around as well but if you can get hold of the Vidal Soler Syrah 2004 - which was put on for tasting at the Hot Red Hawkes Bay event earlier in May so must be still available - this is astoundingly good, in fact better than any of the 2005 Syrahs I tasted that day, so if you see it - grab it.

Cheers,
Sue

Bill

Post by Bill »

Hi Sue,

So if the Vidal Soler Syrah '04 is so good, is the Vidal Reserve Syrah '04 even better?

Bill

SueNZ wrote:Some strikingly good Syrahs around as well but if you can get hold of the Vidal Soler Syrah 2004 - which was put on for tasting at the Hot Red Hawkes Bay event earlier in May so must be still available - this is astoundingly good, in fact better than any of the 2005 Syrahs I tasted that day, so if you see it - grab it.

Cheers,
Sue

SueNZ

Post by SueNZ »

Bill wrote:Hi Sue,

So if the Vidal Soler Syrah '04 is so good, is the Vidal Reserve Syrah '04 even better?

Bill

Tasted them side by side and while they are both gold medal / 5 star / 90-whatever-something point quality, the Soler really pushed my buttons to the extreme. So 'no' to your question. I rate the Soler higher. It really is an outstanding wine and I love the way it has developed over the last several months.

Cheers,
Sue

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Thanks all for the info, look's like the 05 Hawkes Bay reds will be a nice place to start!

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Hi Sue,

Bill

For once i will take a different view to Sue, my tastes are usually very close!!

i prefer the reserve, it seems a little more deep set and restrained to me which i enjoy. it reminds me of a seppelts st peters structurally.

the times ive tried the solar ive noticed a bit of spirit which destracts me, though it has countlss trophies which indicate many dont feel the same

C
Follow me on Vivino for tasting notes Craig Thomson

Bick

Post by Bick »

FWIW I ordered from First Glass for the first time only last week. The site's good, there's a decent choice and service was excellent, so I'd definately recommend them.

Matthew Moate

Post by Matthew Moate »

If I may, I would recommend my business partners wine website being http://squashedgrape.co.nz/tcontrol/welcome.php
Last edited by Matthew Moate on Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Duras

Post by Duras »

Great selection, great service, great prices. I've bought a few times on my occasional visits...