2007 worse vintage ever???

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Gary W

Post by Gary W »

Mark G wrote:
True Blue wrote:Just wondering who the first winemaker will be that will call this year, "vintage of the decade'". At least this year we will know they really are bullshitting!

It may well be in Margaret River ...

and the Hunter Valley (reds).
GW

darby

Post by darby »

It seems that the generalisation "worst Vintage ever" is useful in stirring up opinions, but of course it is inaccurate.

My suggestion is most interesting vintage ever

Has anyone heard a grower/winemaker from Australia saying "2007 vintage will be just another year"

Cheers

wineguy

Post by wineguy »

Wizz wrote:207 will prove to be a shocker for a lot of growers and makers, thats for sure.

But calling something "worst vintage ever" is akin to scoring wines, ie no one will ever agree, and its the description that matter more.

Will it be worse than 1983 or 1974 (or 1989 even)? How will you compare?

I think saying it will be shocker needs clarification. Sure yields will be down, probably way down in some cases, but from what I've seen and heard from growers (I'm in the Barossa) many are pleased with the quality and there should be some great wines. This won't be the case for everyone but when is it ever. These topics really serve no purpose other than to create a negative image in peoples minds before they've tasted a drop. My two cents. :D
"Life's too short to drink bad wine."