Weekly Drinking Reports Due.....

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
TORB

Weekly Drinking Reports Due.....

Post by TORB »

Hi Good Peoples,

Its that time of the week again. Time to tell us all what you have been drinking; TN's, vibes or lists all welcome.

Last night I opened a Yalumba 2002 Hand Picked MGS. What a delightful wine. Dusty tannins still need time to resolve but the fruit is still youthful. Incredible complexity; it's a big wine but deceptively gentle and disappears quickly. Musk, spice, raspberry and all sorts of other goodies, there is no hurry to drink them and its rated as Highly Recommended and should go to Excellent as it matures.

Now what have you been drinking?
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

Prompted by a half dozen of them coming up for auction next week, opened our single bottle of 1979 Marchesi di Barolo Riserva della Castellana Gia Opera Pia.

Whilst enjoyable, with in particular some subtle licorice notes that appealed to me, it perhaps lacked the depth or complexity (and perhaps a little more balance) that you look for in the best bottles.

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

A stack of good wines for a bucks show (mine). Very civilised.

Wolf Blass Platinum Label Shiraz 2001
Spicy, fragrant, long. Traces of herbal, nutty characters and a tad meaty to boot. Quite medium bodied. Superb.

Penfolds Bin 389 2002
Quality. Opened far too young although fantastic delivery, quite clean style compared with some of the imports (below) with balance of oak, plummy fruit and heavy mesh tannins still to the fore. Cabernet element very obvious. Leave for at least another couple of years to re-examine.

Saltram Mamre Brook Shiraz 2002
Classic rounded Barossa characters, soft rounded tannins with plenty of good primary fruit still and some tobacco notes. Very impressive.

Saltram Mamre Brook Cabernet 2004
Young, as ever. Very vibrant and structured and as previously experienced, needed time to unfold. Heavy handed would be a good description currently and will develop into a treat.

Dutschke Oscar Semmler Shiraz 2004
Warm, very rounded tannins, soft approachable style. Great persistence and length, perhaps a touch simplistic but eminently drinkable and even though it came at the tail end, it's quality was appreciably noticed.

D'Arrys Original Shiraz Grenache 2004
Classic style, fragrant, perfumed wine with meaty notes and enough savoury qualities to balance out the berry and plums. Always a good wine.

Clos Clare Shiraz 2004
Very chocolatey, slightly sweet and simple but a nice wintry wine. Attractive. Terrible label though!

Paracombe Adelaide Hills Shiraz 2005
A touch acid with herbal qualities. A bit of greenness. Don't remember a whole lot more about this one.

Henschke Giles Pinot Noir 2005
Big, spicy style of pinot. Quite robust with a fair whack of complexity - five spice, mushrooms and plums. Good length.

And a pair of 2000 Brunello di Montalcinos and a 2000 Barbaresco, none of which I can recall names of however all three were drinking well (and provided a good counterpoint to the gamut of bigger Aussie styles).

And then there was some grappa and more beers and then....[/b]
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

Wayno wrote:A stack of good wines for a bucks show (mine). Very civilised.

And then there was some grappa and more beers and then....

- a stripper or two,
- handcuffed to a light pole,
- sleeping it off in a police cell,
- all of the above.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

I tried the Schild Estate range at an instore yesterday - the good news is that success hasn't gone to their heads, and their wines (with the exception of the flagship) are all still terrific quality for very reasonable money. No TNs, so just these brief impressions:

2006 Riesling - tropical/banana characters and a little lime & mineral, very ripe and still showing a little sulphur. Needs time to settle down.

2006 Semillon Sauvignon Blanc - good mix of lemony Semillon & yeasty/capsicum SB; decent little quaffer, but nothing special.

2005 Sparkling Shiraz - not quite as rich/decadent as the '04, but still very good with plenty of chocolate/spice & ripe fruit. As always great value.

2006 GMS - tight and smoky, less pepper than previous vintages; they think this one may be their best, so it probably needs more time to show it.

2005 Merlot - They're getting better every vintage, and this one's the real deal; rich/sweet cherry/plum fruit with touches of briar/green, and a hint of fish sauce, the oak more reserved/better integrated. It's still very Barossa, but I simply can't think of a better merlot for less than $17.

2005 Estate Shiraz - toasty oak and spicy/ripe blackberry fruit; like the SS it's not as quite rich as the outstanding '04, but still a great follow up.

2004 Ben Schild Reserve Shiraz - this was the richest/most opulent of the lot, spicy blackberry/black cherry fruit with cinnamon/fruitcake characters, soft, approachable and yet still very young. This was the wine of the tasting and all the remaining stock disappeared very quickly; the extra year has done wonders, or it just looks a lot better away from that freaky '04 Estate Shiraz!

2005 Ben Schild Reserve Shiraz - this was a lot younger than the '04 with almost no oak influence in comparison; tighter, scrubbed blackberry fruit, with a long, chalky/sweet cordial-like finish. I'm guessing like the other '05s it will always be less voluptuous than the previous vintage, but will fill out with another year or so in the bottle. One to watch.

2003 Moorooroo Shiraz - very soft/approachable, plush leathery/chocolaty with smoke/spice and excellent length, better than the '02; the vines for this are 160 years old, but $85/bottle is still too pricey for me, especially since I don't think it has the legs of the Ben Schild which was just $33.

Cheers,
Ian
Last edited by n4sir on Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.

GrahamB

Post by GrahamB »

2004 St John Road Blood & Courage Shiraz

This wine opened quite dirty and funky. While not an expert, I would think maybe a touch of Brett. I have another and will try it again soon to compare. At the end of the night it did get finished but not by me.

2000 Grant Burge Filsell Shiraz

This was the second wine when I found the St John not to my liking. Maybe not the best vintage but it has come together nicely and was my WON.

Swan Valley

While in WA last month, I did a day trip around some small wineries in the Swan Valley. It is probably ten years since I did this as Margaret River seems to call more loudly.

One of the wineries I visited was Talijancich. They have some very interesting wines but one which made me sit up was the Graciano. Usually in a blend with Tempranillo and Grenache but this was single varietal and I loved it.

Has anyone else from WA or elsewhere tried this wine and what are your opinions.

cheers
Graham
Chardonnay: A drink you have when there is no RED wine, the beer hasn't arrived and the water may be polluted

Adair

Post by Adair »

Loving my Champagne and sparkling whites at the moment. Sydney in summer can do that!

NV Piper Heidsieck - Quite impressed. This label has really stepped up. Depth with aged characters and excellent, soft and long structure. This label is now a worthy combatant in the value NV class at around $50. 18/20, 93/100.

NV Catier - Great structure but lacking fruit/flavour. Maybe a year or two on cork will help. Alright at $40 but I would rather pay another $10 and get a Lanson Black or Piper. 17/20. 90/100.

1998 Dom Perignon - Sensational balance. Excellent winemaker added complexities. A complete wine although not the focus or intensity of the greater years. Nonetheless, worth its price. 18.8/20, 95/100.

1996 Cristal (Louis Roederer) - Not a touch on Neval Blanc's bottles served in early 2006 that I rated 97/100, or maybe 98/100. This bottle was full of vanilla oak... with similiarities to the 2005 Seppelt Drumborg Chardonnay I had on Friday night actually. Great depth and excellent mouthfeel though. 17.5/20, 92/100.

2001 Arras - Easy, sheer pleasure in a bottle. Beautiful creamy acid balance. Ripe and flavoursome. Not great presence but great enjoyment. 17.7/20, 92/100.

As alluded to above, I had the 2005 Seppelt Drumborg Chardonnay. Great French oak with fruit that just backs it up. Excellent mineral characters trying to poke their head out. I think more what it could have been than what it is. 17/20, 90/100. I look forward to the 2006.

2005 Rolf Binder "Barossa Valley" Shiraz - Ripe and long. Quite impressive structure, especially considering the ripeness, but still a hint too jammy for my palate. 17/20, 90/100.

I am drinking a 2005 De Bortoli "Yarra Valley" Chardonnay as I write. Honeydew melon, citrus, french oak vanilla, a hint of peach with a serious mineral acid backbone that is quite prominent but soft and refreshing. Sounds good? Yes it is. Control and restaint with racy excitement with the added benefit of New World fruit. It lives up to its reputation. 18/20, 93/100 and maybe more with time.

I also bought and opened bottles of the 2006 Chardonnay and the three Rieslings (Dry, Riesling, and Auslese) of Bellarmine from Pemberton (WA). Very impressed, particularly considering the prices of $15 per bottle. I bothered to write notes on pieces of paper so I will find them and post separately.

Kind regards,
Adair

P.S. 7 out of 8 wine tasting vibes are see-throughs and a references to another 4 see-throughs... maybe I will be banned! :)
Wine is bottled poetry.

GRB

Post by GRB »

Adair wrote:
P.S. 7 out of 8 wine tasting vibes are see-throughs and a references to another 4 see-throughs... maybe I will be banned! :)

You probably sneaked through cause there is a bunch of frog bubbles. Don't push your luck though or the bigot boys will be onto you :wink: :lol:

Glen
Winner of the inaugural RB cork-count competition
Runner up RB-NTDIR competition
Runner up TORB TN competition
Leave of absence second RB c-c competition

GRB

Post by GRB »

Water Wheel Bendigo Shiraz 2005
Excellent qpr followed the sensational 96 Tatachilla foundation and still managed to impress. Lovely fruit some oak and good balance.

Tatachilla Foundation 96
Have had a few bottles of this in recent time but this was the biz. Complex long and lovely the bottle was way to small. Shared with a very good old friend that I hadn't seen in a while. One of the most enjoyable wines I have had in ages.

Glen

Will get around to finishing the Mount Langi notes later in the week 8)
Winner of the inaugural RB cork-count competition
Runner up RB-NTDIR competition
Runner up TORB TN competition
Leave of absence second RB c-c competition

Roddy

Post by Roddy »

Stonier Pinot Noir 2005

Just the $25 one. Nice pinosity, easy quaffer with red berries and cream, but not at all complex, prefer Paringa for the same money. Decent.

Water Wheel Shiraz 2004

As above post, excellent qpr, lovely cool climate style, blackfruits, soft spicy oak and some grip. Nice.

Penfolds Thomas Hyland Cabernet Sauvignon 2004

Hmm, one dimensional, oaky. Quite average.

Jordan

Post by Jordan »

2005 John Duval Entity Shiraz - deep fruited raspberry, plums and some dark berry flavours. Lashings of chocolate and vanilla with toasty cedar. Fine tannins and a silky mouthfeel. Very good Barossa shiraz which shows off ripe fruit without losing balance.

2004 Grant Burge Filsell Shiraz - confected raspberry and stewed plums with a little licorice and dark chocolate. There was an underlying element of green tannins which irked me while drinking this. There are better Shiraz around at the dame price point.

2005 Pikes 'The Merle' Riesling - excellent Riesling with piercing focus and great length. Zesty acid, yet balanced by a great depth of fruit. Fantastic with the food at Ky Chow.

2002 Aldgate Ridge Pinot Noir - strawberry, stewed rhubarb, dark cherries. Sweet fruit balanced by a little bit of stalk character and leaf matter. Good, but ready to drink IMO.
Last edited by Jordan on Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Premierships and great wine... that is what life is all about

Dave Dewhurst

Post by Dave Dewhurst »

GrahamB wrote:
Swan Valley

While in WA last month, I did a day trip around some small wineries in the Swan Valley. It is probably ten years since I did this as Margaret River seems to call more loudly.

One of the wineries I visited was Talijancich. They have some very interesting wines but one which made me sit up was the Graciano. Usually in a blend with Tempranillo and Grenache but this was single varietal and I loved it.

Has anyone else from WA or elsewhere tried this wine and what are your opinions.

cheers
Graham

Yep, had this a couple of times and have been very impressed fine fruit and structure here and quite a surprise. Sticking with the Spanish line of thought, I just had a tour down south myself and West Cape Howe 06 Tempranillo is also a right little ripper!

Cheers

Dave

Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Wayno wrote:
Wolf Blass Platinum Label Shiraz 2001
Spicy, fragrant, long. Traces of herbal, nutty characters and a tad meaty to boot. Quite medium bodied. Superb.
[/b]

This is a great wine. I had a bottle last year at a dinner where we also drank a bottle of 1996 Pichon Lalande. It matched the Pichon easily in quality stakes. A super premium wine that justifies its price IMO.
Premierships and great wine... that is what life is all about

BA

Post by BA »

1996 Greenock Creeck "Creek Block" shiraz

Old father time came and gave me a good working over so it was time to open something special.

Hit the decanter singing - my first thought was you could smell the power just on the perfume of this one. Bizzare but true. Perfumed and incredibly alluring. I just don't know the descriptors and they kept changing anyway. Even a hint of rose petal ala great pinot. Not overpowering but enticing. Invasive even.

The palate was a magnificent continuation of the theme. Smooth, complex. Promising in abundance and delivering in spades. I didn't feel like swallowing this but there was no way I would spit it out. Just let it absorb through the palate. Marinate the tongue and die happy. A finish that would not let go.

This is Barossa shiraz as we would all like to know it - strong but gentle. Powerful. Ethereal. Stunning. Like watching Makybe Diva at her best. It has reduced everything I have drunk this year to a different level. If you need points = 99. Will keep another 20 years and only get better.

The greatest wine I have tasted.

Paullie

Post by Paullie »

1986 Marc Bredif Vouvray (France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Vouvray)

I was first introduced to this at the last Perth offline, and enjoyed it so much I ended up snapping three for the cellar. This went very very well with a mid afternoon lunch with friends. Fresh honey, toast, pear and apple flavors. A delicious nectar, sweet and balanced. 12.5% alcohol, cork, $43. 91 pts.

2004 Michel Tête Juliénas Tradition (France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Juliénas)

For my friends and I this was a very different style we are used to, 100% Gamay. Light weight and simple, yet balanced the sensors. Light red colour, delicate fruit characteristics. Cork, $29.99. 86 pts.

When I try wine, I often rate it based on my willingness to buy it again. Would I buy the Tête again, no. Would I buy the Bredif again, damn straight, I'm going to buy the 2005 as well. Perhaps my taste isn't ready for the Tête.

(Also created as forum posts)

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

Lots of Two Hands "The Lucky Country" Cab 04 while I wait for a case of Mike Press Shiraz 05 to arrive.

winetastic

Post by winetastic »

Although I didn't take any notes since we were in a restaraunt, Brokenwood Mistress Block Shiraz 2004 was a real treat. Red and dark fruits, bit of chocolate and of course hunter earthyness, super long and silky smooth. Pity the RRP of $50 places it firmly in the special occassion category.

DJ

Post by DJ »

2001 Fairview Shiraz
Made by Rhys Eather. A good Hunter that briary Hunter character on the nose. Second day palate filled out with some good richness.

2001 Noon Eclipse
I almost forgot this one. One of the more disappointing Eclipses I have had to date. The nose was the sweet grenache I'd expect. The palate was far more mature than I would expect, little fruit where I would expect over the top rich ripeness. I'll have to try some other vintages and see if it was the bottle, the vintage or whether my liking for these is changing

1998 Summerfield Reserve Shiraz
As a result of Rid Bigot's questioning the soundness of this wine I thought I'd open my only bottle. This should have been great the core of fruit underneath is really good but yes I think this is brett prone. Opened disjointed and smelly. With some air cleaned up and drank nicely but it was a bit of how good could it have been.

Piper Heidsieck NV
What Adair said. The better half and I had this with BBQ prawns and fish fillets. Did very well. The challenge with Sparkling white for me is what to have with it when the mains are done. Fortunately we had some strawberries in the house. What a great match - really showed the strawberry character in the wine too.

2004 McLaren Wines Linchpin Shiraz
I'm glad I didn't have to pick the region on this - it showed the minty Shiraz character I associate with Clare. Quite a big rich style, chocolate dark berry fruits. I wouldn't having a few more of these to try over time.
David J

Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake 1Ti 5:23

Mike_A

Post by Mike_A »

Gramps Shiraz 2002
Showed great slabs of fruit on the nose, but had a waft of corkiness. And there was a hint of hashness on the palate.
It showed some of it could have been, but it wasn't. 88/100

O'Leary Walker 2003 Clare and McLearen Vale Shiraz
This wine need quite a bit of time to breath, say around an hour. Its lost a lot of that "puppy fat fruit" it had on previous tastings.

I think the blending works well, and it shows quite a bit of elegance on the palate. Not bad for $16 or so. 91/100

mike

Santa

Post by Santa »

2004 Vasse Felix Theatre Red

What a surprise! I expected a rather simple quaffing wine. Red/purple in colour, with aromas of plum, cherries and blackberries (fresh and perky). A very drinkable wine with complexity and length. The finely structured tannins are supported by subtle oak. Enjoyable right now, or (as I will) lay down for 1-3 years. Screwcap. 15% alcohol.

I purchased a case of mixed red & white for $150; so excellent value for money.

My friend drank a bottle of the 2006 Vasse Felix Theatre Chardonnay and refused to comment at all....he claims he knows nothing of wine, just likes to drink it. Fair enough :)
"I have made an important discovery... that alcohol, taken in sufficient quantities, produces all the effects of intoxication".

Oscar Wilde 1854-1900

Iconic Wines Distribution

John #11

Post by John #11 »

1999 Lindemans Steven Vineyard (HV) Bin 9825 Shiraz
Opened up slowly to reveal lashings of wild cherries, raspberries, redcurrants, and raw meat. Lovely sweet fruit, silky smooth, elegant long lasting savouriness. A delight to drink. Need more of this :) Hell, nearly as good as Barossa Shiraz.

and then we followed up with ...

1999 Mount Langi Cabernet Merlot
Aromas of cherries and dark chocolate, cassis, plums, blackberries, and more cherries. Unfortunately was fading after an hour.
Medium to full bodied, cherries, chocolate, licorice, lovely french oak, chalky tannins, lovely long savoury finish. Elegant, just lovely.

griff

Post by griff »

GrahamB wrote:Swan Valley

cheers
Graham

Can't remember it too well but it got the thumbs up at the Perth Feast day a couple of weekends ago. Was very impressed with their aged Verdelho as well. The only thing that stopped me buying was it being under cork (I suspect that they would have a similar level of problems as a hunter semillon).

Sorry that I can't help any more

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

griff

Post by griff »

Teusner Avatar 2004 GMS

Quite a pale red wine which was slightly cloudy. Lovely fragrant juice with a lick of oak there somewhere. Hint of chocolate telling you it was from the Barossa. Lovely stuff and much better than the two bottles of Joshua I had recently.

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

J

Post by J »

Went to a Bordeaux tasting last week. If only I could afford to buy them but at least I got to taste them

2003 Les Ormes de Pez
Quite approachable fruit forward Bordeaux with brambly fruit, ink with a bit of bit mint. Oak a little prominent at this stage with firm tannin and good length. Good
2003 Grand Puy Lacoste
Softer, cassis, cedar, pencil shavings and red fruit nose follows onto the palate with great balance and length. V Good
2003 Chateau Talbot
Bigger brash and dark with deep rich fruit. Slightly aggressive tannins but well balanced. Goog length V Good
2003 Rauzan-Segla
Picked up a bit of Brett but in a good way, herbal more mineral style. Softer fruit nicely balanace with good length. Good
2000 Calon-Segur
Casis, mint, herb, brambly fruit on the nose. The wine dances across my palate with great balance and intensity. Nice chewy tannins and excellent length. A powerhouse which will last along time. Excellent
1996 Calon-Segur
Some nice secondary earth and wood coming through, a touch of green and soy all come across to the palate of a lovely elegant wine just starting to show its best. Balanced and finishing with powdery tannins and excellent length. Excellent
2001 Cos D'Estournel
Tightly wound cassis, pencil shaving, dark cherry nose follows onto the palate with some nice charry oak and chewy tannins and good length.
V Good
1996 Cos D'Estournel
Again beginning to show some nice secondary earth and cigar box but still a piercing intensity of black fruit and soy. Chewy tannins and excellent length.
Excellent
2000 Pontet-Canet
Black olive, menthol on a nose a little closed but plenty of big dark fruit on the palate. Powerful, Balanced Elegant and VLong
Excellent
1995 Pontet-Canet
Cassis, Black Olive with some nice 2nd bits showy thorough fllows onto the palate with earth, cedar all well intergrated. VG Length. Lovely wine.
Excellent
1999 Leoville Barton
Cassis, minerally, lead pencil nose follow onto a palate of briary fruit with a lovely creamy finish. Well balanced with good length.
VGood
1995 Leoville Barton
Cassis, Cedar pencil shaving lead onto the palate. Grippy tannins and OK length
Good
The next two wines were served blind as an option game so no notes but just AWESOME
1993 Mouton Rothschild
1996 Cheval Blanc
Finished with a 2003 Chateau Suduiraut which was an first class end to an incredible night. :D :D :D

GrahamB

Post by GrahamB »

griff wrote:
GrahamB wrote:Swan Valley

cheers
Graham

Can't remember it too well but it got the thumbs up at the Perth Feast day a couple of weekends ago. Was very impressed with their aged Verdelho as well. The only thing that stopped me buying was it being under cork (I suspect that they would have a similar level of problems as a hunter semillon).

Sorry that I can't help any more

cheers

Carl
Thanks Carl, I had tasted a lot of wine over the four weeks I travelled but needed to be convinced I got this one right.
I'm also interested in the West Cape Howe Tempranillo.

cheers
Graham
Chardonnay: A drink you have when there is no RED wine, the beer hasn't arrived and the water may be polluted

John #11

Post by John #11 »

Tasted a beauty today....

'05 Dalwhinnie Moonambel Shiraz
Intense and layered red and dark fruits, pepper and spice, fine oak, and dusty tannins. One hell of a long finish, nearly rivals the length of Grange (nearly!). Will be sublime in 5 years, a lovely alternative to Barossa and cool climate SA shiraz. :wink: