Stanton and Killeen Vintage Port 2000

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Lincoln

Stanton and Killeen Vintage Port 2000

Post by Lincoln »

I drank a bottle of this over a period of about a week. Initially it was bursting from the bottle with enthusiasm of 6 year old on the Christmas bicycle, painfully primary, red leather and spices and such concentrated fruits that I just couldn’t stomach more than a glass. So back goes the cork and it’s in the fridge. After a couple of days, it had settled, with sweaty leather, sweet liquorice, cardamom, brown spices, blackcurrants, sarsaparilla, aniseed and gallano, sweet orange peel and also a savoury dryness. But for all the richness and diversity of the palate, the finish was a bit disappointing, with some bitterness and a strange greenness. A bad bottle or just too young or not up to scratch? I am not sure. 85 Points

michel

Post by michel »

hmm - I dont know.
I think it is a style thing.
8)
International Chambertin Day 16th May

Cheyne

Post by Cheyne »

I've always felt that the S&K ports deserve a decent period in the cellar, at least a decade. The last one i drank was the 1988 from a magnum and it was amazing, and could easily live for another 10+ years!!

Maybe the 2000 is just too young?