What's, or who's, hot

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Gavin Trott

What's, or who's, hot

Post by Gavin Trott »

JUst a general question for you wine lovers.

Who are the new 'hot' wineries right now.

Who do you think is making 'must not miss' wines?

Let me know your thoughts, and perhaps some reasons why?

Should make for interesting reading, and an interesting list?

Also, what about 'hot regions'

and

the new 'star' winemakers

Hey, some of you ITB or so, what do you think?

Campbell, Gary et al?
regards

Gavin Trott

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

New Hot Winery: Puriri Hills, Clevedon NZ. As soon as their new 04+05 releases hit the market they will be the new nz cult red. You heard it here first. I have never spent so much $$ on a single visit to a winery!! :?
Follow me on Vivino for tasting notes Craig Thomson

Serge Birbrair

Post by Serge Birbrair »

New Hot Winery:
Le Cadeau, Oregon.

When Tom Mortimer was buying this property 7 years ago, he was warned-
it could be too high and too cold for grape growing.

Little did anybody know that the climate trends towards warming will put Tom and his winery in the winning position.

I don't know about the reviews from the rags, but amateurs seem to love his wines:
http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=286904

Sean

Post by Sean »

deleted
Last edited by Sean on Tue May 15, 2007 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

(For me) This is the year of Cabernet, 2004/2005 from Coonawarra and Margaret River especially, time to stock up after some pretty poor cabernet vintages in recent years.
Cheers
Brian
Life's too short to drink white wine and red wine is better for you too! :-)

Partagas

Post by Partagas »

Agree red.

Majella in Coonawarra, Woodlands and Cullen in Margs have been consistently great in the last few years in my opinion. Especially 04 vintages which are truly outstanding.

winetastic

Post by winetastic »

Meerea Park tops my list right now after a series of good vintages up in the hunter. Really solid range, both red and c-thru, for drinking young and aging long term.

Torzi Matthew's wines impress and if the 2005 Vinrock reds are any indication, they are one to keep an eye on, especially at the current prices.

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

Red Bigot wrote:(For me) This is the year of Cabernet, 2004/2005 from Coonawarra and Margaret River especially, time to stock up after some pretty poor cabernet vintages in recent years.

I agree 2004 Coonawarra's pretty hot at the moment, especially when you factor in QPR.

It's a small window of opportunity when there's some high quality Cabernet at very, very cheap prices - the following two vintages in comparison are leaner pickings, and we've all heard about what the frost damage has done for 2007. I wouldn't expect much from 2008 either while the majority of the vines are still recovering from that damage.

Cheers,
Ian

Ps. I think Wine Girl's sounds pretty hot too! :wink:
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.

griff

Post by griff »

Agree with most of above.

Just want to add Schild Estate in the Barossa (making great value wine in the lower range)

Have been impressed by a little known winery called Wordsworth Estate near Harvey in WA. Great Liqueur Zinfandel and a semi-sweet aged chenin blanc.

I am also pretty hot for cool-climate cabernet again (esp. Adelaide Hills - Setanta, Longview etc.).

Can't think of anything else on the c-thru side of things except perhaps that the public is more tolerant of sweeter styles again e.g. moscato, Gewurz, late harvest riesling and heavier style pinot gris.

Oh and I think that Rose has almost hit saturation point! :)

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

John #11

Post by John #11 »

Stonier's 2005 Pinots (including the Reserve, the KBS and the Windmill) will forever change the way we Aussies feel about our pinots.

We have now come of age. These beauties will cellar 10-20 years with ease.

The Eldridge Estate 2005 Pinot Noir (Single Clone MV6) is looking pretty damn hot too! I will post a pre-release review soon.

Adair

Post by Adair »

John #11 wrote:Stonier's 2005 Pinots (including the Reserve, the KBS and the Windmill) will forever change the way we Aussies feel about our pinots.
Wow! Big call. I will try based on your recommendation and report.

Epis is my big hot winery at the moment.

Meerea Park too.

Wendouree has been hot for a few vintages for me now.

Adair
Wine is bottled poetry.

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

John #11 wrote:Stonier's 2005 Pinots (including the Reserve, the KBS and the Windmill) will forever change the way we Aussies feel about our pinots.

I have had 05 Stonier and 05 Stonier Reserve. Good. Nice. But Not Hot IMO...

Manzanilla is what is hot - San Leon, La Gitana, La Goya etc. .. as long as you get it very fresh. Not the tired old shit I bought from Camperdown Cellars yesterday...

GW

Adair

Post by Adair »

Gary W wrote:

Manzanilla is what is hot - San Leon, La Gitana, La Goya etc. .. as long as you get it very fresh. Not the tired old shit I bought from Camperdown Cellars yesterday...

GW

No wonder people call you dry! hahahaha. Sorry.

Adair
Wine is bottled poetry.

John #11

Post by John #11 »

Gary W wrote:

GW

Your Pinot palate is different from quite a few of us.
I am more aligned with Adair and his love of Epis, and Campbell and his liking of the 2005 De Bortoli.

Stick to the SB reviews :)
Last edited by John #11 on Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shiraz Man

What's, or who's, hot

Post by Shiraz Man »

I think Water Wheel Shiraz. I think the last 3-4 vintages of this wine are brilliant, particularly for the money. The Cabernet hasn't been too bad in recent times either.

monghead

Post by monghead »

i'm liking alot of the things from these guys recently...

wantirna estate
woodlands
castagna
gralyn

Red Bigot

Re: What's, or who's, hot

Post by Red Bigot »

Shiraz Man wrote:I think Water Wheel Shiraz. I think the last 3-4 vintages of this wine are brilliant, particularly for the money. The Cabernet hasn't been too bad in recent times either.

Water Wheel was hot from about 86 to 96, it still offers great value and good consistency across vintages, the price of the shiraz hasn't changed much in 10 years, but volumes have increased a lot with newish plantings, it's not really on my buy list any more.
Cheers
Brian

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

The Eldridge Estate 2005 Pinot Noir (Single Clone MV6) is looking pretty damn hot too! I will post a pre-release review soon.

I didnt think the single clone Eldridge wines were being released except in the limited tasting pack, has David changed his mind? IMO the MV6 was in the bottom two of the six clones.

In general I agree, Australian Pinot seems to be going through a bit of a renaissance, with a lot of very good 04 and 05's about.

Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Wizz wrote:

I didnt think the single clone Eldridge wines were being released except in the limited tasting pack, has David changed his mind? IMO the MV6 was in the bottom two of the six clones.

In general I agree, Australian Pinot seems to be going through a bit of a renaissance, with a lot of very good 04 and 05's about.

I think David releases a multi-clone blend and the MV6 as "normal" pinots. The funky clonal stuff is only in the clonal pack.

Brucer

Post by Brucer »

Two Hands in Barossa.
I am currently drinking the 02s, and everybody who tries them, loves them. These are Samanthas Barossa Shiraz, Bad Impersonator Single Vinyard Barossa Shiraz, and Lilys Mclaren Vale Shiraz.
Their 04s are pretty good too.
Bruce
When not drinking a fine red, I'm a cardboard claret man!

John #11

Post by John #11 »

David was kind enough to send me a pre-release bottle of his 2005 Pinot. Lincoln was correct, of course. The "normal" Pinot is 100% MV6.

I understand the release date is in June, according to his web site. (if my memory serves me correct).

KMP

Post by KMP »

"Argentinian malbec and Italian prosecco (hot) to both red and white Burgundies and most any wine from New Zealand (not)."

Hey, don't look at me! That was said by this guy. :roll:

Mike

darby

What's Hot

Post by darby »

A couple of standouts for me have been

Di Lusso Vermentino, and their Sangiovese Rose

Vigna Bottin's Barbera, and Pizzini have released a Brachetto.

Arneis is creeping up on us, it may do a Pinot grigio over the next 5 years.

Hot regions, well really the cool regions of NSW - Orange, Hilltops etc

Cheers

Red Bigot

Re: What's Hot

Post by Red Bigot »

darby wrote:Arneis is creeping up on us, it may do a Pinot grigio over the next 5 years.

Not on me it isn't, or at least no more than Pinot Gris/Grigio did, which is not at all. ;-)

At least no one mentioned "riesling revival".

I think sangiovese and nebbiolo could be hot soon, if they can produce some good ones without needing to flog them at $40+ prices.
Cheers
Brian

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

For me it's any wine made by Domenic Torzi. He certainly has a talent for making exceptional, well priced red and white.

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

Santa wrote:For me it's any wine made by Domenic Torzi. He certainly has a talent for making exceptional, well priced red and white.

Yeah, he's definitely on a roll at present. Some other small makers could also learn the lesson that dropping the price a bit on a good vintage will boost sales rather than "devalue the brand".

Early indications are that the small 2007 crop from Adelaide Plains is showing exceptionally good fruit.
Cheers
Brian

Glen

Post by Glen »

The Clare Valleys' Jenneret range is providing some very well priced fruit driven reds currently in the $18-20 range. Yet with enough structure and balance to also offer some medium term cellaring potential. Nice little cellar door too!

Logans in Mudgee are doing probably the best Rosé I have had all summer (fruit from Orange). Very dry and a Rosé that demands some thought. Whoops why's the bottle empty? Another great cellar door too, albeit at the other end of the spectrum to the one above.