Xmas - what are people drinking?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Phil Shorten

Xmas - what are people drinking?

Post by Phil Shorten »

I know it's still a couple of weeks away, but I thought I'd ask at this early stage what people are drinking on Xmas Day.

I'll be enjoying traditional Xmas fare (smoked salmon, turkey and all the trimmings, Xmas pud, cheeses) with some Aussie mates here in London. Not going overboard on the wines, mostly good value stuff that will hopefully match with the food pretty well...

Starting with...

NV Fox Creek Dry Sparkling Shiraz-Cabernet Franc

I figure that we've got to pay homage to Australian tradition, and this is a good way to do it. I'm not a great fan of Fox Creek's wines, but I think this is very decent stuff at the price (£12).

To accompany the salmon...

2002 St Veran, Domaine des Deux Roches

Maconnais is THE part of Burgundy to go for good value Chardonnay that combines French restraint with a decent ripe fruit. Under £8.50 a bottle and better than many premium Aussie Chardonnays that get the full on MLF, wild yeast, lees stirring, French oak treatment.

1998 Lirac, Roc-Epine, Domaine Lafond

Southern Rhone is THE value region in the UK wine market - a five year old wine from a good producer from a great vintage at under £7.50 a bottle. Mostly Grenache, plus Syrah, Carignan and Cinsault.

1997 Quinta do Noval Late Bottled Vintage

£11 a bottle for very decent Port.

Cheers
Phil

Muscat Mike

Christmas wines.

Post by Muscat Mike »

We will be having sparkling Red, have not decided which one/ones. Selecting from 95 E&E, 90 Seppelt Show Reserve or 92 Leasingham CC. (Suggestions will be given due thought.)

Whites - Lindauer NV Reserve bubbly, very good QPR.
Giants Creek '01 Chard. a chard. I actually like.
Petaluma '98 Riesling.

With pud, and other assorted cheeses etc., some nice Port, Muscat and/or Tokay.

Plus a nice cold beer or two to cleanse the palate.

MM.

Davo

Post by Davo »

Phil,

She is gunna be 44c in Perth when the Christians have dinner. This heathen will be drinking beer, beer , and more beer, probably Stella and gobfulls of sparkly red which will be one or all of Peel Estate 94 "Baroque", Seppelt Show 93, Lehman "Black Queen" with ample back up of a box of Andrew Garrets "McLarens on the Lake".

I aim to get pissed early and hope the freeloaders have gone home by the time my senses return.

Post by Guest »

Grosset Watervale Riesling '01
Henschke Coralinga Sauvignon Blanc '03
Cullen Sauvignon Blanc Semillon '02
Coldstream Hills Chardonnay '02
Turkey Flat Shiraz '99
Penley Phoenix Cabernet Sauvignon '01
Plantagenet Mount Barker Cabernet Sauvignon 01
D'Arenberg Botrytis Riesling '98
Tahbilk Late Bottled Vintage Port '91 and/or Tahbilk Rutherglen Muscat
The Wine Society Pure Malt Scotch Whiskey (malt blend)

A self-catered gathering of a couple of clans at an NQ beachside hotel/motel with limited cooking facilities about 20 km from where I live but some attendees will be travelling up to 400+ km. Not sure quite what the food will be but there's bound to be seafood, cold meats, salads, stone fruits, nuts, rum balls, fruitcake, nibbles etc, etc, etc - all the usual fare. No wine buffs but me, so hope that some of the 10 or so imbibing adults will be well enough catered for by the diversity of the above list. I'm the self-appointed sommelier so I know I will be, even though the gathering's for 3-4 days. :wink:

This is NQ so there will also be beer - hope the nearby most-things-shop has plenty of ice.Well the pub should anyway. Will be obliged to drink some of the brother's home brew but I'll take something like Cascade Premium, Hahn Premium, maybe just Carlton Cold or Castlemaine's 3X anniversary brew, and some Irish or English beer.

Should be good.

Cheers

daz

Attila

Re: Christmas wines.

Post by Attila »

We will be having sparkling Red, have not decided which one/ones. Selecting from 95 E&E, 90 Seppelt Show Reserve or 92 Leasingham CC. (Suggestions will be given due thought.)

I've already selected the Leasingham 1992 Sparkling Shiraz as one of the christmas wines from my cellar, I'd love to read your tasting notes after christmas, Mike.
Cheers,
Attila

Craig(NZ)

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

2003 Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc which has come together now as it usually does by xmas

Montana Deutz Sparkles

easy.

Craig(NZ)

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

2003 Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc which has come together now as it usually does by xmas

Montana Deutz Sparkles

easy.

Rob

Post by Rob »

Chandon 1998
Bass Phillips Rose 1999
William Fevere 1er Cru Chablis 1999
Domaine de Courcel Pommard 1er Cru 1990
Leoville Barton 1986
Muscat de Beaumes de Venise 1999/2000

Paul T

Post by Paul T »

Christmas...crazy time in Byron...too many tourists..not pleasent generally but it does mean breakfast and lunch at Wategos beach (where half the town goes xmas day) for great food, company, grog and hopefully if Huey is kind a few waves.

Breakfast.
Kippers with a couple of bottles of Rockford Black (bought in 1999).A great tradition in our family now..and i eagerly look forward to it every year.

Lunch

Assorted seafood, duck, turkey etc dishes.
I have a few wines available..will take the day as it comes.

Possible starters include
Stoniers Reserve Pinot Noir 1997,1998(not so great year),1999,2000,2001.
Martinborough Vineyard Pinot Noirr 2000
Bass Phillip Estate 2001 Pinot Noir
No Regrets Pinot Noir 2001
Salitage Pinot Noir 2001
Cullen Pinot Noir 1997 (curiosity value..not expecting much..)
Rockford Basket Press 1996,1997,1998,1999,2000
Charles Melton Nine Popes 1999
Bullers Caliope Shiraz 1991,1992,1996
Binders Bulls Blood 1996

Morris Premium Muscat and Tokay for dessert wines.Truly amazing wines for the price.Also whats left of a bottle of Rockfords Vintage Port 1996..the best port i've had..but i'm quite inexperienced with ports.Expensive but i'm glad i bought it.
Not really sure what will get cracked..also have a couple of hundred bottles of nice homebrew my wife makes just in case we need some beer.

Merry Xmas and a happy and safe festive season to all.

Cheers

Paul

michaelw

Post by michaelw »

I'm hoping that we'll be spending the day with others that like a drink! Plans are yet to be finalised but it looks like we may be visiting the South Gippsland region and sharing the day with friends (since we recently left our families in Sydney!).

I've always wanted to do the Sparkling Red thing but there was never enough takers to give the occasion the oomph I reckon a decent Sparkling Red deserves on such a festive occasion.

So, with a bit of luck, it might include a 1995 Brown Bros Sparkling Shiraz and a selection of Rieslings from Tahbilk, Petaluma and Rockfords. And if I make the Xmas Ice Cream Pudding, I might even throw in aMorris Muscat or Baileys Tokay!
Ciao,

michaelw

You know it makes sense!

DJ

Post by DJ »

Pol Roger NV
Sparkling Shiraz
Muscat or Tokay
Beer
Not necessarily in that order :)

Mark K

Sp Red Fest

Post by Mark K »

Bubbly red fest again, looking forward to the manditory 12 or so different bottles of Sp Red at the family Christmas dinner.

Mark K

darren C

Xmas Booze

Post by darren C »

It is never to early to ask about this great event.

A couple of Rockford Blacks
1996 Trentham Estate Shiraz
A couple of 2002 Cella Rage Shiraz
'98 389
Finish with a Buller's Calliope Rare Old Tokay

sleep.

Brett Stevens

Post by Brett Stevens »

unsure what we are doing yet, no family in WA, however have friends will probably catch up with.

My wife has been eyeing off a case of Rockford Alicante Bouchet so i can see a few of those going and depending on Temp of day will depend on what to drink with Mains maybe Pinots this year for something different. or even a Rockfords Grenache or Nine Popes from the fridge, not totally chilled but down to 12 degrees or so.

I am also sure that a sticky will find its way into the fridge but i dont partake in these.

Brett