Any opinions on these wines/prices?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Marcus

Any opinions on these wines/prices?

Post by Marcus »

This is my first post on the Auswine forum, well any forum for that matter. I've started drink wine seriously in the last two years (mostly reds) and have started a cellar in the last year. I've got some real bargins and some real bombs and was wondering what peoples opinions on these wines/prices are? I would be very interested if anyone had any tasting notes too.

thanks Marcus

Brands Patron's Reserve Red 1998 ($60)

Crawford River Cabernet Sauvignon 1999 ($26)

Fox Creek Reserve Shiraz 2001 ($70)

Leasingham Classic Clare Cabernet Sauvignon 1996 ($31)

Penfolds St. Henri Shiraz (Magnum) 1996 ($96)

- Tried it, liked it, bought it, but how long could this last 20+ years?

Penfolds St. Henri Shiraz (Magnum) 1997 ($96)

- Not as good as the 1996 but is it worth considering?

Petaluma Coonawarra Cabernet Merlot 2001

- I love the 1998 and still have a couple of bottles and I have heard some good things about the 2001

R.L. Bullers Calliope Shiraz 1996 ($31)

- Had this one day at lunch, definetly HR**** IMO, but wasn't to keen on it for some reason. Thought it had a sugary taste? Josephine(Girlfriend) rated it as Excellent, I guess it comes down to personnal taste. I know Torb rated it as Excellent*** in Plonk 2000, but I haven't seen any recent comments on this wine.

Rosemount Balmoral Shiraz 1998 ($60)

- Closed closed closed, but I had to try it. Anyone else.

Rothbury Estate Brokenback Shiraz 1998 ($27)

Saltram Metala Black Label Shiraz 2000 ($31)

- Word on the grapevine is that some wineries in the Langhorne Creek area had quite a good year, I find this very suprising considering all the bad 2000's I've had, however I liked the 2000, any comments?

Saltram No.1 Shiraz 1998 ($50)
- Wow! This is a boot up the arse. For me I would rate this as Excellent, not sure about the cost though. I think the 1998 is better compared to the 1997 ($35) and the 1999 ($45).

Seppelt Great Western Reserve Shiraz 1998 ($38)

- Closed closed closed, but I had to try it, I think it would be five years before anything would show in this wine. Ten to fifteen years would be better. I loved the 1991 Seppelt Great Western Shiraz.

Kieran

Re: Any opinions on these wines/prices?

Post by Kieran »

Marcus wrote:This is my first post on the Auswine forum, well any forum for that matter. I've started drink wine seriously in the last two years (mostly reds) and have started a cellar in the last year. I've got some real bargins and some real bombs and was wondering what peoples opinions on these wines/prices are? I would be very interested if anyone had any tasting notes too.

thanks Marcus

Brands Patron's Reserve Red 1998 ($60)

Crawford River Cabernet Sauvignon 1999 ($26)

Great Wine, Great Price. I've never seen this priced this low.

Fox Creek Reserve Shiraz 2001 ($70)

Great wine, but I've seen it cheaper.

Leasingham Classic Clare Cabernet Sauvignon 1996 ($31)

Reasonable wine, fair price.

Penfolds St. Henri Shiraz (Magnum) 1996 ($96)

- Tried it, liked it, bought it, but how long could this last 20+ years?

Penfolds St. Henri Shiraz (Magnum) 1997 ($96)

- Not as good as the 1996 but is it worth considering?

Not compared with the 96.

Petaluma Coonawarra Cabernet Merlot 2001

- I love the 1998 and still have a couple of bottles and I have heard some good things about the 2001

R.L. Bullers Calliope Shiraz 1996 ($31)

- Had this one day at lunch, definetly HR**** IMO, but wasn't to keen on it for some reason. Thought it had a sugary taste? Josephine(Girlfriend) rated it as Excellent, I guess it comes down to personnal taste. I know Torb rated it as Excellent*** in Plonk 2000, but I haven't seen any recent comments on this wine.

Very good price for a hard-to-find wine.

Rosemount Balmoral Shiraz 1998 ($60)

- Closed closed closed, but I had to try it. Anyone else.

Rothbury Estate Brokenback Shiraz 1998 ($27)

Saltram Metala Black Label Shiraz 2000 ($31)

- Word on the grapevine is that some wineries in the Langhorne Creek area had quite a good year, I find this very suprising considering all the bad 2000's I've had, however I liked the 2000, any comments?

Saltram No.1 Shiraz 1998 ($50)
- Wow! This is a boot up the arse. For me I would rate this as Excellent, not sure about the cost though. I think the 1998 is better compared to the 1997 ($35) and the 1999 ($45).

Seppelt Great Western Reserve Shiraz 1998 ($38)

- Closed closed closed, but I had to try it, I think it would be five years before anything would show in this wine. Ten to fifteen years would be better. I loved the 1991 Seppelt Great Western Shiraz.

Good price for a fine ageing wine.

Kieran