A question for Tyson and other cellar rats

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
TORB

A question for Tyson and other cellar rats

Post by TORB »

Hi Guys,

A mate of mine (Tom who own the local pub) wants to air condition his home cellar using a split system unit. The biggest problem is cold in winter rather than heat in summer and the unit is being put to take the chill off the cellar.

Here is the problem, the split system has a minimum low setting of 16-18 degrees depending on the unit he buys. Is there any way a time clock can be used or the thermostat tricked so that the unit either only runs for a few hours a day or runs at a lower temperature?

Any other ideas for you experts? Thanks in advance. (There must be something wrong with my spelling software, I just checked this post and it showed everything was spelt correctly. :roll: )
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

Tyson

Thermostats

Post by Tyson »

Hi Ric,

Greetings - I hope you're well.

Wow, a cellar that's too cold. Sometimes I wish I had that problem!

Using a domestic air conditioner for a cellar is a good solution. Rex has demonstrated that this can be done with resounding success.

In the case of a standard small unit, replacing the thermostat is the best approach. As far as a split-system is concerned I'm not sure of how this would be achieved in the light of the fancy remote control digital temperature settings that they have these days.

If the main purpose is for heating in winter, a split-system air conditioning system would seem to be overkill. A fan heater hooked up to the thermostat that I refer to in "Cellaring Wine" would be just as effective, and could be achieved for under $100.

Cheers Ric,
Tyson.

TORB

Post by TORB »

Hi Tyson,

Some of us have more money than sense :D and I shouldn't talk as I have just installed a split system but my problem is more of a traditional heat problem in summer.

Never-the-less, like most of us, Tom does have a bit of a heat problem in summer too but the biggest problem in winter. Possibly the solution is both. :cry: :(

I do believe a number of years ago I did mention something about possibly helping to create a monster, looks like it happened! :lol:
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

Irregular

Post by Irregular »

Ric, not sure I fully understood either your or Tyson's posts, probably because I've been tuned in to 'The Fat', so I’ve been distracted, compulsory viewing incidentally. Anyway, to your point, I know nothing about air-cons, but being from the cooler parts of the continent we do have heating requirements for several months of the year. We have a heat extraction fan (draws warm air from a combustion heater) wired up to a thermostat. Basically, when the air from our heating unit reaches a set temp, the fan is triggered. It runs on a simple ‘oven’ thermostat switch, manually controlled i.e. a dial. Works well. So, it can be done. Hope this helps??

Ian

Peter H

Wine cellar

Post by Peter H »

Hi Ric,

A split system should have a thermostat somewhere within its case that can be replaced. The precision thermostat from RS (stock no 250 6061) that Tyson found is able to switch something on when it is to hot and simultaneously switch something off at the same time (ie switch something over) which may do the job for a split system.

I am just in the process of modifying a conventional cooling only air conditioner at the moment, which is going to be reasonably easy as the existing thermostat within the unit has push on spade type connectors that are accessible.

One word of caution, the thermostat is not rated to a very high current so get a professional to have a look at the installation and advise.

Peter.

P.S. Thanks Tyson for the book and inspiration.

Paullie

Post by Paullie »

"Using a domestic air conditioner for a cellar is a good solution. Rex has demonstrated that this can be done with resounding success. "

I'm looking at addint a domestic split in my cellar Tyson, and I'd sure like to know how to achieve the best results.

If I may contribute to this thread. I recently spoke to an air con mechanic in Perth who has been installing splits in cellars for 13 years. He is able to modify the feedback loop by means or a resistor in series, which tricks the thermostat in believing it is a few degrees warmer than reality.

I can get the guys details if anybody needs it.