Newbie: Thoughts on Hunter W/E

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Anonymous

Newbie: Thoughts on Hunter W/E

Post by Anonymous »

Just got back from the Hunter Valley. I am a newb to this forum, and to wine (well, at least appreciating it to a greater degree, so be gentle!). Be interested to hear comments from those with more experienced palates and knowledge of Hunter wineries.

The stand outs for me were:
Capercaillie 2000 Semillon
Meerea Park 2006 Hell Hole Semillon
Meerea Park 2004 Alexander Munro Shiraz
Tyrells 1997 Vat 1 Semillon
Chatto 2001 Semillon
First Creek 2001 Cab Sav
Brokenwood 2004 Mistress Block Shiraz

Other notables were:
Hungerford Hill 2004 Coonawarra Cab Sav
Hungerford Hill 2003 Tumbarumba Chardonnay
Hungerford Hill Late Harvest Semillon
Allendale 2005 Chardonnay
Allendale 2005 Anna Late Harvest Semillon
Meerea Park Epoch Semillon
Meerea Park Terracotta Shiraz
Aristea Shiraz
Brokenwood 2004 Wade Block 2 Shiraz
Tulloch 2004 Julia Semillon
McLeish 2005 Jessica Botrytis Semillon

I mostly tried Semillon and Shiraz, with a few others here and there. I will be going to SA in 2 weeks where I will focus on Cabernets and Shiraz.
Stand out wineries in Hunter were:
Meerea Park
Brokenwood
First Creek/Chatto
Capercaillie

Other notables:
Tyrells
Allendale
Hungerford Hill (though most of their best were not Hunter wines!)

*edits: I can't spell!

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

Carp
A good spread of wines and you've hit some of the best producers (IMO). There's little choice over here for Hunter Semillon, which is a shame as I believe the wines to be fine and unique, with great ageing potential. They're also good at winning over francophiles to Aussie wines, as they really challenge the image some have (overblown chardonnay, overblown shiraz).

Anyway, more importantly, welcome to the board and make yourself at home.

regards

Ian

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

For someone new you have hit a lot of bullseyes. Nice work.
The Aristea would be 2003 vintage.
GW

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

Any particular reason this poster got banned Mods? - it looked like a pretty genuine post for a first effort. :?

Same with this one: http://forum.auswine.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=6067

Cheers,
Ian
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

Dunno, Gavin does all the User management stuff.
Cheers
Brian
Life's too short to drink white wine and red wine is better for you too! :-)

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Yeah, why cant I login?
Cant get rid of me that easily! :P

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Gary W wrote:For someone new you have hit a lot of bullseyes. Nice work.
GW

I am more internet geek than wine expert. I just did a fair bit of web surfing to find the recommended wineries and wanted to taste what others rated. Those just represent the ones I like. There were a few wineries that I thought were duds, yet highly regarded in some circles.

Thanks for the info re Aristea. I was too busy oohing and ahhing about the Meerea Park reds and deciding which to buy to pay attention to the cellar door guy at the time he mentioned the Aristea.

Sooo to all those who snub Hunter reds, I will be in SA in 2 weeks. Will be heading to Adelaide Hills, Barossa and McLaren Vale. Unfortunately, time does not permit Coonawarra, which is a shame as I have a liking to Cab Sav.
Please offer suggestions on my rather long short list to add/cull:
ADELAIDE HILLS
Penfolds
Petaluma
Shaw & Smith
Bird in Hand

BAROSSA
Two Hands
Grant Burge
Charles Melton
Rockford
St Hallets
Glaetzer
Peter Lehmann
Greenock Creek
Wolf Blass
Henschke

MCLAREN VALE
Hardys Tintara
d'Arenberg
Kay Bros
Coriole
Wirra Wirra
Fox Creek

I have noted down other Barossa cellar doors, but I dont think I can visit them all!

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

ADELAIDE HILLS
Add Nepenthe, right across the road from Shaw and Smith

BAROSSA
Must Add: Turkey Flat, Kaesler.
Greenock Creek may not have much stock
Wolf Blass cant really be that worthwhile surely

MCLAREN VALE
Also consider Pertaringa, and I think Primo Estate would be a must (although I havent visited since they moved their CD from Adelaide Plains)

cheers

Andrew

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

Carp2 wrote:Yeah, why cant I login?
Cant get rid of me that easily! :P

Carp
Stick with us! We've had some bad spamming problems recently and the new software which seems to have sorted it out might have got carried away with itself.
I'm sure Gav will sort it out
regards
Ian

Alex F

Post by Alex F »

Carp2 wrote:
Gary W wrote:For someone new you have hit a lot of bullseyes. Nice work.
GW

I am more internet geek than wine expert. I just did a fair bit of web surfing to find the recommended wineries and wanted to taste what others rated. Those just represent the ones I like. There were a few wineries that I thought were duds, yet highly regarded in some circles.

Out of curiousity what were the duds? Welcome to the forum as well... :)

Post by 707 »

In the Barossa forget Wolf Blass, just commercial crap and Greenock Creek is not open, that deletes two. Put Kaesler at the top of your list, making wine as good as anyone in the Barossa and the cellar door staff are lovely people.

In McLaren Vale add Samuels Gorge up near Chapel Hill, they're doing great things apparently.

If you're in the Adelaide Hills on the weekend add Ashton Hills.

Did you want restaurant suggestions too?
Cheers - Steve
If you can see through it, it's not worth drinking!

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

Anon

In McLaren Vale I second the support for Pertaringa, and in the same area as Wirra Wirra and Fox Creek. Penny's Hill/Mr Riggs is there too. I also recommend Paxton.

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

griff

Post by griff »

Barossa
I would drop wolf blass, greenock ck and maybe even glaetzer if pressed for time and definitely pick up kaesler and maybe burge family. Not sure if you can get to Rusden but Christian is a great guy.

Adelaide Hills
I second Ashton Hills and since you a cabernet man I would pick up Setanta and Longview. (cool-climate cabernet is so hot right now :wink: )

McLaren Vale
Don't know as much about this region so I defer to higher authorities on this board :)

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

mattECN

Post by mattECN »

Adelaide Hills

I’d suggest Longview as well – good variety of wines and wine styles, nice location too

Barossa

As someone suggested – Kaesler, making some really good wines

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

Anonymous wrote:Sooo to all those who snub Hunter reds, I will be in SA in 2 weeks. Will be heading to Adelaide Hills, Barossa and McLaren Vale. Unfortunately, time does not permit Coonawarra, which is a shame as I have a liking to Cab Sav.
Please offer suggestions on my rather long short list to add/cull:
ADELAIDE HILLS
Penfolds
Petaluma
Shaw & Smith
Bird in Hand

BAROSSA
Two Hands
Grant Burge
Charles Melton
Rockford
St Hallets
Glaetzer
Peter Lehmann
Greenock Creek
Wolf Blass
Henschke

MCLAREN VALE
Hardys Tintara
d'Arenberg
Kay Bros
Coriole
Wirra Wirra
Fox Creek

I have noted down other Barossa cellar doors, but I dont think I can visit them all!

All up it's a pretty good list there:

ADELAIDE HILLS:
Ashton Hills is a must if you time it right. Nepenthe isn't bad, and Longview is worth going to if you're prepared to go a bit out of the way (they're out at Macclesfield). Penfolds Magill Estate is on Adelaide's doorstep, so if you have the good part of a spare day when you fly in/out you may be able to do it outside of the Adelaide Hills journey - the tour is worth doing too if you've got a free hour.

BAROSSA:
I agree with 707 in putting Kaesler firmly on the list, and add Turkey Flat too. Kabminye is next door to Charlie Melton and are doing some very interesting things, and the food is fantastic if you want a big lunch. I'd give Wolf Blass a miss, and the last time I was there Peter Lehmann was a bit patchy for my liking.

MCLAREN VALE:
I haven't ever been a fan of Fox Creek. Hardys Tintara isn't quite as good as it used to be, and is a definite miss if you don't visit on a weekend (the premiums aren't open during the week). Foggo Wines is definitely worth a call, and I've heard Samuels Gorge is worth searching for (and believe me when you haven't been there, it's difficult to find). I also recently heard Gemtree has set up in the Salopian Inn, and it's worth hunting down too.

A final note - most of the CDs have very extensive ranges on tasting (around ten or so each, and I swear the last time I was at d'Arenberg they must have had at least twenty :shock:). Plan well in advance where you want to go, what you want to try, and keep an eye on the clock.

You're probably aware of TORB's website, and his 2006 tour diaries would be quite useful information for this trip. Now we're just waiting for chapter six... http://www.torbwine.com

Cheers,
Ian
Last edited by n4sir on Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tpang

Post by tpang »

[/quote]

BAROSSA
Two Hands
Grant Burge
Charles Melton
Rockford
St Hallets
Glaetzer
Peter Lehmann
Greenock Creek
Wolf Blass
Henschke

[/quote]

I'd personally drop Wolf Blass, Lehmann, you're probably out of luck with Greenock Creek for this time, Henschke is on the other end of the BV so u might want to consider it for another time, add Torbreck which is down the road from Two Hands, someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think Two Hands charges a fee for their tastings still, don't forget Seppelt's too which is up the road and around the bend from Two Hands.

Wine Girl

Post by Wine Girl »

I agree with whoever said drop Fox Creek. Not only was my cellar-door experience there downright unpleasant, the wines get much more attention than they deserve.

I would drop Bird in Hand too. Again, wines no good, although I understand the 2006 ones might be a vast improvement.

Otherwise, well done on your selection. I am green with envy!

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

OK, Carp under a different name. I keep getting kicked out. Hopefully updating the profile on first login does the trick.

Thanks for the help people!

The only reason Wolf Blass is in the list is for the premium labels. Since I cant afford them, they will be removed!

We will be eating at Bridgewater Mill, hence, cuts up the Saturday I plan to visit Adelaide Hills and Barossa, so little time. Found out Henschke is only open Sat 9-12, so they are out (and a bit out of the way).

Longview and Setanta are a bit out of the way.

Dropped Peter Lehmann and Greenock.

Updated list is:
ADELAIDE HILLS
Penfolds
Ashton Hills
Shaw & Smith
Nepenthe
Petaluma
Bird in Hand - curious about the Winestate award for 2005 Shiraz

BAROSSA
Burge Family
Kaesler
Turkey Flat
Glaetzer
St Hallets
Rockford
Charles Melton
Grant Burge
Two Hands
Torbreck

MCLAREN VALE
Coriole
Kay Bros
Hardys Tintara
Wirra Wirra
Pertaringa
Fox Creek
d'Arenberg

I know time will be an issue, hopefully I can squeeze it all in. Cabernets & Shiraz will be the order of the day, with a few whites thrown in.

Oh, and the wines I didnt quite agree with from the Hunter:
Tower Estate - not my style. Very leathery.
Draytons - err... pass!
De Iullis - dont understand why the Semillon is so highly rated
Tried the Mt Pleasant Semillons of repute - Elizabeth & Lovedale, preferred the Tyrells equivalents, however, the best of the lot, 97 Vat 1 was a bit too pricey for me (and felt the 99 wasnt worth the extra bucks over the Reserve Stevens). Bought my Semillon from Capercaillie, Meerea Park Hell Hole, Chatto. Very impressed with First Creek/Chatto. Friendly, helpful, didnt care if we bought or not, and wines were very impressive.

GraemeG

Post by GraemeG »

LuckyFish3 wrote: ...preferred the Tyrells equivalents, however, the best of the lot, 97 Vat 1 was a bit too pricey for me (and felt the 99 wasnt worth the extra bucks over the Reserve Stevens). Bought my Semillon from Capercaillie, Meerea Park Hell Hole, Chatto. Very impressed with First Creek/Chatto. Friendly, helpful, didnt care if we bought or not, and wines were very impressive.

Best to join Tyrrell's Private Bin list. Then you buy the Vat semillons (1,4,18 ) upon release, when they're cheap. In late '98, the 97 Vat 1 was selling for $19 to their list. Four months ago, the 2006 Vat 1 was sold for the princely sum of $23...
cheers,
Graeme
Last edited by GraemeG on Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

LuckyFish3 wrote:OK, Carp under a different name. I keep getting kicked out. Hopefully updating the profile on first login does the trick.

A possible reason for getting deleted is if you don't respond to a confirmation email from Gavin. Did you use a real email address and check that your spam filter hasn't blocked mail from Auswine?
Cheers
Brian
Life's too short to drink white wine and red wine is better for you too! :-)

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

Wine Girl wrote:I agree with whoever said drop Fox Creek. Not only was my cellar-door experience there downright unpleasant, the wines get much more attention than they deserve.

She's back... the girl with the samurai-sword-sharp tongue and wit! Where have you been Wine Girl? :wink: :D

The service I've experienced at Fox Creek CD hasn't been too bad (apart from being made to wait around while they finished up with a big group of American tourisits once), it's just the wines don't really grab me. While admittedly I was impressed with the 2004 Reserve Shiraz last year, I still think there are far better McLaren Vale options for that sort of money - nothing else of theirs has come close to registering on my radar.

Cheers,
Ian

Post by 707 »

Ian, I know we rarely agree on wine but I've found the Vixen sparkling red is often highly rated amongst Blacktongues and the Short Row Shiraz has been very good and excellent QPR in a number of vintages.
Cheers - Steve
If you can see through it, it's not worth drinking!

Wine Girl

Post by Wine Girl »

Oh n4sir, you make me blush with such high praise - I wish I did have a samurai-sword wit. By the way, I prefer your old picture.

Just found the cellardoor staff at Fox Creek unwelcoming and there is nothing more uncomforable than utter silence and being stared at while you are tasting wine. Couldn't wait for it to end. I agree with whoever said there is simply better wine around to try. Can't understand why they get all the publicity they do - especially that darn dog.

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

Anonymous wrote:OK, Carp under a different name. I keep getting kicked out. Hopefully updating the profile on first login does the trick.

Sorry

Its the username you choose.

I get so many phoney registrations with made up names (anything from 5-25 a day) that I delete all that don't seem like genuine names.

Carp was just one of those.

Sorry, register again using your real name, guaranteed safe, or just let me know and contact me directly.
regards

Gavin Trott

Nick

Post by Nick »

Just drove past Glaetzer this morning & they still have a large "Cellar Door Closed" sign at the gate.

On the upside, went to St Hallett instead and had a great time - 04 Blackwell & 03 Old Block outstanding. They also have a good selection of back vintage magnums (however the credit card didn't stretch that far!).

Cheers
Nick

silkwood

Post by silkwood »

Got to agree with Foggo. Whilst you're in McLaren Vale you'll just have to go past the visitor centre, so drop in and visit the Shingleback CD. Worth the while and you can make use of the centre.

Cheers,

Mark

Hunter Man

Re: Newbie: Thoughts on Hunter W/E

Post by Hunter Man »

Anonymous wrote:Stand out wineries in Hunter were:
Meerea Park
Brokenwood
First Creek/Chatto
Capercaillie

Other notables:
Tyrells
Allendale
Hungerford Hill (though most of their best were not Hunter wines!)

*edits: I can't spell!

I love Tyrrells and Capercaillie, Tyrrells make great old school hunter shiraz, others making old school if thats what you like, try Alanmere, Ivanhoe, Mount Pleasant (McWilliams) and Di Iullis (spelling?).

Hunter is a great region that for the last decade or so it seems cool to not like it because it's gone so commercial, but the HV is still making great wine (though Lindemans has slid down hill).

Drink up.