A poll for all Lurkers

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter

As a lurker, why don't you post more to this forum and join in the discussions

Poll ended at Thu Dec 25, 2003 11:11 am

Too busy
17%
Not confident enough to share my opinions
28%
Too confident, I don't want to share my knowledge with you losers
7%
Too professional, I don't want to be seen in a bad light
No votes
I don't want to be abused for my opinions
17%
None of the topics usually interest me enough to post
No votes
Are you kidding, do you realise what "they" are doing with the info you post here !
No votes
I'am embaresed - My eengleesh aint no good
3%
This place is too cliquey and I feel I don't get whats going on
10%
Other - Please explain
17%

Total votes: 29

markg

A poll for all Lurkers

Post by markg »

Encouraged by another thread in this forum, I asked what would make people post more to the forum - Perhaps we should first ask, "As a lurker, why don't you post more to this forum and join in the discussions" ! Knowing that, we might better be able to offer ideas to encourage more people to post.
Cheers
-Mark Wickman

WICKMAN'S FINE WINE AUCTIONS
FREE membership, LOWEST auction commissions in Australia.
Now accepting wine for our next auction.
http://www.wickman.net.au

Twitter: @WickWine
YouTube: WickWineAuction

GraemeG

Post by GraemeG »

Hours gone by, and barely any response. But then, that's got to be the case, by definition....! Once you post, you ain't a lurker any more?

I should be responding to the quiz about why you post so much...cause I just like to share my ignorance with as many people as possible! :D

cheers,
Graeme

Adam

Post by Adam »

In some forums only registered users can vote in polls, is this the case here??

Cheers, Adam

markg

Post by markg »

Yikes - 72 views and only 4 votes (one of them mine).

Perhaps another option for the poll -> Indifferent indecision ?
Cheers
-Mark Wickman

Post by Guest »

Adam wrote:In some forums only registered users can vote in polls, is this the case here??

Cheers, Adam

Ahhh.. Adam, I think you have hit the hammer on the nail ! I logged out and now cannot vote !!

MarkG

TORB

Post by TORB »

I'am embaresed - My eengleesh aint no good

Mark,

You put that option in for me diddnt you? :oops: But then I am not a lurker..... :wink:
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

markg

Post by markg »

Anonymous wrote:
Adam wrote:In some forums only registered users can vote in polls, is this the case here??

Cheers, Adam

Ahhh.. Adam, I think you have hit the hammer on the nail ! I logged out and now cannot vote !!

MarkG

Hmmm. Cancel that - I logged back in and still cannot vote, so it may be that I have a cookie on me that won't let me vote twice. I shall explore.
Cheers
-Mark Wickman

Post by Guest »

Can't vote as guest.

Davo

Post by Davo »

Anonymous wrote:

Cheers, Adam

MarkG

FORA FOR DUMMIES 101

Read the can and cannots in the bottom right corner of your "page" and you will see what it is possible to do if logged in or out.

Simple really :shock: :lol:

markg

Post by markg »

Davo wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

Cheers, Adam

MarkG

FORA FOR DUMMIES 101

Read the can and cannots in the bottom right corner of your "page" and you will see what it is possible to do if logged in or out.

Simple really :shock: :lol:

:oops: :oops: Me being a computer programmer and all :oops: :oops:
Cheers
-Mark Wickman

DJ

Post by DJ »

How many posts do you have to have to stop being a lurker? :?
I'm sure I'm not the only one who checks out the forum daily during the working week but a week with more than one or two bottles of any interest to comment on is sadly rare. :(

Anthony Basilone

Post by Anthony Basilone »

I've been lurking for 11 months now. I love reading all the messages and TNs but dont feel confident enough to post any TNs myself. I will make the effort though in future as I agree that the forum is only as strong as its contributors (witness winepros) I'll post some tn's on the recent spate of dud aged rieslings i've encountered and the fantastic '96 Maglieiri shiraz (what a bargain at about $12 pb)

regards Buzz

Kieran

Post by Kieran »

Often, I just don't know enough about a topic to post. Although sometimes that doesn't stop me.

Kieran

simm

Post by simm »

GraemeG wrote:Hours gone by, and barely any response. But then, that's got to be the case, by definition....! Once you post, you ain't a lurker any more?

I should be responding to the quiz about why you post so much...cause I just like to share my ignorance with as many people as possible! :D

cheers,
Graeme

Then how do we know there are any? Oooooh Scary!!! :lol:
simm.

"I ain't drunk! I' still drinkin' !!"

simm

Post by simm »

Anthony Basilone wrote:I've been lurking for 11 months now. I love reading all the messages and TNs but dont feel confident enough to post any TNs myself. I will make the effort though in future as I agree that the forum is only as strong as its contributors (witness winepros) I'll post some tn's on the recent spate of dud aged rieslings i've encountered and the fantastic '96 Maglieiri shiraz (what a bargain at about $12 pb)

regards Buzz

Very keen to hear more from you and Kieran!! But do you know or have you heard from any lurkers around here :?: :lol: :lol:
simm.

"I ain't drunk! I' still drinkin' !!"

Bob Sherwood

Post by Bob Sherwood »

As mostly a "lurker", I am here to learn more about a region's wines I've been buying and enjoying more and more. Any post I've made has been a question; when I feel "up-to-the-conversation" possibly I'll have more to say. All that just fwiw.

Also, as someone reading from the U.S.A. I'm fearful of really misunderstanding your assorted colloquialisms; I'd hate to say something and inadvertently end-up "cursing somebody out" !

Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

Also, as someone reading from the U.S.A. I'm fearful of really misunderstanding your assorted colloquialisms; I'd hate to say something and inadvertently end-up "cursing somebody out" ![/quote][quote]

Gee Bob "fair suck of the old sausage" i would have thought you guys weren't fearful of anybody least of all a "put another Prawn on the barbie mate" Aussie wine drinker!

Geoffrey

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

Kieran wrote:Often, I just don't know enough about a topic to post. Although sometimes that doesn't stop me.

Kieran

Kieran

That's never stopped me, don't let it stop you. :roll:
regards

Gavin Trott

Bob Sherwood

Post by Bob Sherwood »

"fair suck of the old sausage"

Somebody - please - send me a dictionary ! If I said that to someone here, I'd be a dead man. O.K. maybe not if I was in a gay bar.

Dig

Post by Dig »

I voted 'other' as I have a sense of loyalty to another forum. I still enjoy reading here but I kind of feel that it's inappropriate to post.

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

Dig wrote:I voted 'other' as I have a sense of loyalty to another forum. I still enjoy reading here but I kind of feel that it's inappropriate to post.

Dig

Why? Surely you can be involved and post on both? I know you're a regular of WineStar but do not see why that would stop you being a regular here too, I have no problem with that and doubt Bert would?

Its a big internet and I have no problem with Winestar or winestar regulars and or panel members posting here.
regards

Gavin Trott

Post by Guest »

Bob Sherwood wrote:Also, as someone reading from the U.S.A. I'm fearful of really misunderstanding your assorted colloquialisms; I'd hate to say something and inadvertently end-up "cursing somebody out" !

No wuckers Bob. Strewth mate, only a bloke with a few roos short in the top paddock would get aggro at a yank who can't speak the lingo. (That's Strine to you). :wink:

ChrisH

Post by ChrisH »

I voted 'other' as I have a sense of loyalty to another forum. I still enjoy reading here but I kind of feel that it's inappropriate to post.

Pity, I detect some polarisation these days, which I see as a negative for both forums.

Trouble is it all becomes a bit insular and cliquey if you restict yourself Dig - just 7 people account for over half the posts on that other forum.

You can maybe choose your forum of choice for tasting notes so they don't duplicate and become boring for readers of both Oz forums, but surely it helps the variety and spice if you comment on issues on both (particularly as the issues on each forum are often different anyway) ?

regards
Chris

Luca - Guest

Post by Luca - Guest »

I think the polarisation is all one way traffic. I frequent both forums as an observer and rarely post, but the bitching and whinging is confined only to this board. Some who spend time telling others to lighten up should really start to practice what they preach.

Mark K

Interesting

Post by Mark K »

ChrisH wrote:
Dig wrote:I voted 'other' as I have a sense of loyalty to another forum. I still enjoy reading here but I kind of feel that it's inappropriate to post.

Pity, I detect some polarisation these days, which I see as a negative for both forums.
Trouble is it all becomes a bit insular and cliquey if you restict yourself Dig - just 7 people account for over half the posts on StarForum (ed).
You can maybe choose your forum of choice for tasting notes so they don't duplicate and become boring for readers of both Oz forums, but surely it helps the variety and spice if you comment on issues on both (particularly as the issues on each forum are often different anyway) ?
Chris,

Couldn't agree more on the tasting notes, it gets a little mundane to read the same notes on both forums. With the correct referencing notation we should be able to cross post anyway. :wink: Just got to get mine proof read by a QC first.....

I wouldn't read too much into the stats from Starforum, or here. I think you just get waves of the same people posting for a period of time and this then changes. We've seen it on the old forum here, the new one, StarForum, Winepros and even the old JamesHalliday.com forum.

I think both forums are ace and I will continue to post across both, most of my tasting notes will go on StarForum, but I love contributing here as well. I think Bert and Gavin are extremely generous to put up some bandwidth for these fora and would encourage everyone to take advantage of that. Even though I am a member of the StaPanel, I have no qualms posting here. I see nothing productive in isolating myself to a particular forum (or wine), it would be as damaging as cellar palate. I agree too, the discussions on StarForum and here are often quite different. I continue to learn from both.

Cheers,

Mark K

ChrisH

Post by ChrisH »

Mark K said:
you just get waves of the same people posting for a period of time and this then changes.

Good point 99, when I think back in time.... :wink:

Oh, and with the tasting notes, a simple Barrister would do..... :roll:

Luca said :

I frequent both forums as an observer and rarely post, but the bitching and whinging is confined only to this board

You must be a sensitive little soul - I can't think of too much of this happening myself - not that I really worry about it - all comments are useful to add life to the board surely ? Maybe you could help counteract it if you think there is, by posting something postive yourself ? :wink:

regards
Chris

Raisin

Post by Raisin »

I find the discussions on this board quite informative. I certainly don't detect much animosity here. On the contrary, there seems to be a friendly,casual relationship between posters.

I probably share the sentiments of many others out there when I cite time (or lack thereof) as being a major reason for confining our activities to lurking. It takes me forever to put down notes that make sense. Hell, it's taking me forever just to write this simple note. But when I grow up, I want to be able to post just like Torb and other regulars.

A quick suggestion. I think the previous forum format stimulated more discussion and encouraged lurkers to participate more. The WLDG forum format is one that comes to my mind as a great model to encourage more participation. Nevertheless, I love your board and congratulate all that contribute.

Cheers,

Francois[/code]

Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

I don't post as often because I don't feel part of auswine any more. Most of the people I started with, Campbell, 389, Tyson, Gerard Connors, and most importantly PLCB, don't post any more: it's just a bunch of strangers for the most part, and people I've realised that I will never agree with no matter how much a topic is debated.

Wycroft

Post by Wycroft »

I seldom post, mainly because I don't think I have a great deal to say, and I guess nerves come into it given the sheer amount of great wine consumed by some of the regulars, and their great tasting notes. But, if I could make one observation, in my opinion there is a great deal less animosity than the forum where I used to lurk:Winepros. Perhaps that's the reason this forum has so much more business! I'd like to thank pretty much everyone who posts here for being so cordial and lighthearted in their posts. Long may it continue. And perhaps I'll find the confidence to become less of a lurker next year.

Merry Christmas

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

Wycroft wrote:I seldom post, mainly because I don't think I have a great deal to say, and I guess nerves come into it given the sheer amount of great wine consumed by some of the regulars, and their great tasting notes. But, if I could make one observation, in my opinion there is a great deal less animosity than the forum where I used to lurk:Winepros. Perhaps that's the reason this forum has so much more business! I'd like to thank pretty much everyone who posts here for being so cordial and lighthearted in their posts. Long may it continue. And perhaps I'll find the confidence to become less of a lurker next year.

Merry Christmas

Wycroft
Very much agree with your views on winepro's vs. both sites.
Ian