Help on rating some xmas gifts

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
wine bloke

Help on rating some xmas gifts

Post by wine bloke »

For christmas my father sent me three bottles of wine.

Normally I would say so what. It would probably include some no name badly made wine.

However, in this case it included

1986 Wolf Blass Black Label
1971 Penfolds St Henri
1968 Kaiser Stuhl "Medal winning " Shiraz

All levlels are excllent, cork integratity fine and claritry through he neck of the bottle dense.

Can someone help me out? I want to know the value of them.
The rating of each individual vintage.
Should I drink them now?

If I do drink then now, I would like to appreciate them with fellow like minded soles in Adelaide, in the new year.
Maybe a small event, where entry is a fantastic bottle of booze, aged, unique, obscure or unbelievable.

Would love your help!!!!

Cheers,
Wine Bloke
wine woman & song all night long! If it get's too much give up the singing!

Mark S

Post by Mark S »

Hi Wine Bloke - 1986 and 1971 were superb vintages in SA and the Wolfie BL is around $80, the St Henri $130+, both could be magnificent, with the usual provisos.

Not sure about the Kaiser, they put out a lot of labels thru the 60's & 70's.

Best use may be as your contribution to an offline that some lucky Adelaide forumites might organize soon! :)

Kieran

Post by Kieran »

The St Henri, which seems to be in good condition from your description, is probably better than most vintages of Grange. (In those days, St Henri and Grange were sort of regarded as equals). It's most likely drinking well, but it won't get any better. Drink up with people you love.

The Wolf Blass, also a good wine is probably at the end of its drinking window also.

The Kaiser Stuhl is a crapshoot - it's probably vinegar, but some old Kaiser Stuhls have surprised people before.

Kieran
"In the wine of life, some of us are destined to be cork sniffers." - Dilbert