Victorian cellar door recommendations

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
albus

Victorian cellar door recommendations

Post by albus »

The punchy dot points

I am looking for recommendations for:
- primarily cellar doors
- but also restaurants
- and possibly accommodation
along the route Beechworth, Goulburn, Heathcote, Pyranees, Grampians

feel free to skip what follows

The rambling version

Next week Ms Albus and I are driving from Canberra to Adelaide. Rather than take the usual exciting route across the Hay Plains, we are going to travel through some of Victoria’s wine regions to discover some of the stuff that Adelaide raised me has been ignorant of for years - and buy a bit for the cellar.

We plan to spend about 3 days in Victoria on the way over (possibly including a day of exploring the Grampians) and will spend 3 or 4 days on the way back (although probably incorporating a bit of Great Ocean Road action). We will have our nearly 3 month old son with us so don’t fancy too many really long stretches in the car. Rutherglen will be saved for a dedicated trip.

I would be very appreciative if anyone had any recommendations for cellar doors. We are probably going to limit it to less than ten. I had tentatively made up a list of Giaconda, Mitchellton, Tahbilk, Jasper Hill, Dalwhinnie, Redbank, Best’s, Mt Langi Ghiran – but suspect that I might have, in those, selected the bigger names which might come with bigger prices that will cause my wife to eventually put an end to my spending. Happy to book and/or pay for tasting.

I would also be interested if anyone had any strong recommendations for restaurants (nice not super-flash – what we have planned for adelaide is going to blow the restaurant budget) or accommodation (of less interest & does not really have to be that nice unless we are going to stay a couple of nights, we will probably look for roadside motels in the main – but close proximity to a desired cellar door or restaurant is good).

I apologise if this issue has been discussed previously - from my searches of the forum I have found recommendations for:
Pyrenees - Summerfield, Berry Bridge, Warrenmang
Heathcote - RedEdge, Wild Duck Creek, Whistling Eagle, Sanquine, McIvor
and the Emou Inn in Heathcote

Thanks in advance if anyone has any comment.

Sharkey

Post by Sharkey »

Albus

I have done a Victorian wine trip each summer for the last few years. I have not managed to get over to the Pyrenees or Grampians but have wine toured through Beechworth, Rutherglen, King Valley, Goulburn Valley, Heathcote, and Bendigo etc and raise the following suggestions.

Tahbilk is compulsory. Anybody who loves wine should visit at least once in their life. It is well worth the trek.

Rutherglen is also a must. The wines are good but the muscats and tokays are the wine bargain of the world. There is nowhere else I know where you can buy a Robert Parker 95 point wine for $31 for a 2 litre flagon!! (Chambers liqueur muscat)

The King valley is my current favourite wine region to visit. WWII Italian migrants who grow a variety of grapes in one of the most spectacular regions I have visited. Try Chrismont, Dal Zotto, Pizzini and Symphonia in the King Valley proper as well as Gapsted back up towards Beechworth for wines such as Saperavi, Marzemino, Prosecco, Petit Manseng as well as other, more common exotics such as Barbera, Sangiovese and Nebiollo and the usual Shiraz, Cabernet, Chardonnay etc. The last time I stayed at a B & B called Casa Luna Gourmet Accommodation and loved it. They only have two guest rooms and you may have the place to yourself (and the owners who do the gourmet catering of course). This place is very isolated, with no phone reception at all and a very nice dining room.

Heathcote I was disappointed with. I love Heathcote wines but most of the wineries are not open to the public or by appointment only, so I would recommend phoning ahead for any that you really want to visit.

Bendigo is worth a visit and does some exceptional wines.

Of course when you head home, after the Great Ocean Road you have to go via Coonawarra, but you probably already had that planned.

Enjoy your trip.
Sharkey

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

albus

Post by albus »

thanks Sharkey - very much appreciated

still planning but Tahbilk will definately be included & I have spoken to the people at Casa Luna and that sounds great so it looks like we will give King Valley a go too.

Murray

Post by Murray »

Hey bus,

If you're doing the Ocean Road then Pettavel, just south of Geelong, is a great way to start. it's a wonderful long lunch, so don't plan on getting too far afterward, you could get as far as Lorne though.

If your're doing the Grampians then Seppelt and Best at Great Western are musts for the wine and the sights, and also Langi for the wine. They don't do food or accomodation, however when I head that way we stay at Magdala in Stawell. Good motel accomodation and there are some nice eateries in Stawell.

The Pyrenees is better served with the 'vintage village' at Warenmang providing great accom and a good restaurant. The cabins at Summerfield are good motel style, but head to Warrenmang for the food. I've heard that Redbank do a pretty decent lunch but haven't tried it myself.

Note that Great Western and the Pyrenees are less than an hour apart across the Pyrenees ranges; useful for planning that trip west.

Agree on Tahbilk, there's also nice things said about the food at Mitchelton and Kirwin's Bridge in the Nagambie area.

You could do a lot worse than

Melb - Geelong (pettavel) - Ocean Road to Warrnambool - up over the Grampians to Stawell (Magdala) - Great Western - Pyrenees (Warrenmang) - Castlemaine (no wine but the Gold Rush history is worth stopping for a cuppa) - Nagambie - Melbourne.

(or if you're heading to Adelaide do Tahbilk/Mitchelton on a day trip and then do the Ocean Road thing above but after the Pyrenees head`SW to Coonawarra on the way to Adelaide).

3-5 days spent very nicely.
Murray Almond

albus

Post by albus »

thanks for that too Murray

a lot of very useful information there - again very much appreciated