CD visit - pick of the Yarra?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
GraemeG

CD visit - pick of the Yarra?

Post by GraemeG »

On a family mission to Melbourne this weekend, there's nevertheless a day to fit in a Yarra visit. So who should it be? Tastings and lunch. I gather De Bortoli have a good restaurant. Anyone else? And who to visit? I wasn't planning on a pre-arranged appointment unless someone transcendent was likely to co-operate (Yeringberg, YY, MM, Wantirna etc) but the only one of those I have a long 'relationship' with is MM, and I don't think they encourage visitors especially....

Any tips or suggestions based on recent experiences and the current vintage?

cheers,
Graeme

Sean

Post by Sean »

deleted
Last edited by Sean on Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ratcatcher

Post by Ratcatcher »

I wonder if you are planning on going to this YV winery?

http://torbwine.com/pa/2006/openmouth.shtml

http://www.camwheeler.com/wine/2006/tel ... t-illegal/

It'd be interesting to hear about a CD experience.

Wine Girl

Post by Wine Girl »

I went to Yering Station recently and was quite disappointed. Poor cellar door service (staff more interested in each other than us), and the wines themselves were not worth sacrificing a visit to another winery for.

Also went to Coldstream Hills, which was excellent and will certainly make a return visit in the future. The service was unpretentious, friendly, courteous...and the wines were as good as usual.

Ratcatcher

Post by Ratcatcher »

if you are going to a big one go to De Bortoli. Reward them because they seem to be doing the right thing lately according to all the press reports.

ie: Working on improving quality in the vineyard and in the bottle and the QPR offered by their low and mid range wines is exceptional.

We need to support the producers doing the right thing by us and I think especially a big producer who isn't solely focussed on maximising profits to the detriment of short term and long term quality.

millhouse

Post by millhouse »

Ratcatcher wrote:I wonder if you are planning on going to this YV winery?

I drove past the place in question a couple of times recently, and it did occur to me that a CD visit could be interesting. Unfortunately I didn't have time to stop, but I'll try in the next couple of weeks. Wierdly, the review actually made me want to try the wine, if only for 'research purposes'.

As far as other places in the Yarra Valley go, Oakridge has a nice CD although the wines can be a bit hit and miss

Adair

Post by Adair »

Sean wrote:Graeme,

De Bortoli and Yering Station have excellent restaurants. The one at Balgownie (in the same part of Yarra Valley as De Bortoli) looks good, but I haven't tried it yet.

The cellar doors that you could try are Coldstream Hills, Balgownie (for their Bendigo range as well) and Chandon (for the sparkling wines).

One or two of the many small wineries could be fun and you might find a wine you like. But there's a lot of mediocrity I have to say...

If you go to De Bortoli or Yering Station and want to try the wines, ring first and try to arrange something. My experience of their cds lately has been pretty average.

Sean,

I have never visited the Chandon cellar door due my belief that you can't taste the wines but need to buy whole glasses of each. Please confirm or deny this if possible.

Thanks,
Adair
Wine is bottled poetry.

Baby Chickpea

Post by Baby Chickpea »

Chandon CD is worth a visit with a very good restuarant overlooking the vineyards....you can order a sampler of 6-8 sparklers too to go with your meal!
Danny

The voyage of discovery lies not in finding new landscapes but in having new eyes. We must never be afraid to go too far, for success lies just beyond - Marcel Proust

GraemeG

Post by GraemeG »

Ratcatcher wrote:I wonder if you are planning on going to this YV winery?

I just revisited Cam's site to see if there was any follow-up. Nothing much that I could find, but he's still posting so presumably hasn't been dragged off to Guantanamo Bay for his sins...
Perhaps the 04 Rosé is a winner?
Don't think I'll have to to find out. :)
cheers,
Graeme

Adair

Post by Adair »

Baby Chickpea wrote:Chandon CD is worth a visit with a very good restuarant overlooking the vineyards....you can order a sampler of 6-8 sparklers too to go with your meal!

Can you order the sampler of 6-8 sparklers without a meal... if they don't allow you to taste?
Wine is bottled poetry.

Nayan

Post by Nayan »

Dominique Portet does pretty smart food.

roughred

Post by roughred »

I thoroughly endorse Coldstream Hills.

Great spot, great view, great service and a pretty smart line up of wines, especially when viewed in isolation. From memory they had a couple of Back Vintage wines on offer as well.

Chandon also well worth the visit - they do what they do very well.

LL

groovaman

Post by groovaman »

Something different that the usaual suspects.

For an intimate experience with a small boutique winery try Wonga Estate. They sit you down, provide new glasses for each variety (they have three), it's a great setting and they have lovely wine. It's only open by appointment, we visited recently and were there for over an hour having a great chat with the owners.

Seville Estate is also good to visit.

The Jackal

Post by The Jackal »

This is a timely subject. I'm about to head over to the Yarra Valley and Mornington Peninsular and was going to post re the cellar doors I should visit.

Being from Adelaide I've been happy to have a bias to Shiraz and Cabernet, but am looking to broaden my horizons a little in Vic by trying some different varieties, particularly Pinot Noir if you can recommend any.

So far in the Yarra Valley I should visit Coldstream Hills, Chandon, Balgownie and Wonga Est. and I should dine at De Bortoli and Yering Station. Any others you'd recommend?

Also any suggestions for the Mornington Peninsular?

Cheers,

M

The Jackal

Post by The Jackal »

This is a timely subject. I'm about to head over to the Yarra Valley and Mornington Peninsular and was going to post re the cellar doors I should visit.

Being from Adelaide I've been happy to have a bias to Shiraz and Cabernet, but am looking to broaden my horizons a little in Vic by trying some different varieties, particularly Pinot Noir if you can recommend any.

So far in the Yarra Valley I should visit Coldstream Hills, Chandon, Balgownie and Wonga Est. and I should dine at De Bortoli and Yering Station. Any others you'd recommend?

Also any suggestions for the Mornington Peninsular?

Cheers,

M

Sean

Post by Sean »

deleted
Last edited by Sean on Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Adair

Post by Adair »

Sean wrote:Adair,

I am more familiar with the idea of having a food platter and trying a selection of their sparkling wines.

It is done in a fabulous setting and honestly it's a hmmm... civilized way to try the wines. When you go there (and you must) you will see what I mean.

But since they have begun the Greens Pt table wines, I think you are able to do a tasting as well. Not sure, because I haven't been there for a while.

I will have to remedy that and head over there in the next week or two and find out. Maybe get some of that Chandon Blanc de Blanc...

(Oh Graeme, you might like to drop into Rochford as well.)

Sean,

I understand your point, and it would be relevant if I was tasting with my family, but I typically visit the wine regions around Melbourne on my own and with a strict time limit, and I attempt to taste as many great wines as my palate and the police allow.

That Blanc de Blanc can be a great wine, as the 2002 was and is. I have not tried the 2003 yet.

Adair
Wine is bottled poetry.

Shiraz_Freak

Post by Shiraz_Freak »

if i remember right u can have a tasting at chandon then go in for some nibbles and have a glass or 2 of what u liked.

Sean

Post by Sean »

deleted
Last edited by Sean on Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sean

Post by Sean »

deleted
Last edited by Sean on Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

davidg

Post by davidg »

Sean wrote:But since they have begun the Green Pt table wines, I think you are able to do a tasting as well. Not sure, because I haven't been there for a while.

Last time I was there you could do tastings. That was probably 6 months ago.
David G

"I'm going to die with a twinkle in my eye cause I sung songs, spun stories, loved, laughed and drank wine"

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

Not sure whrther it's worth a major detour, but I found Ken King of "Kings of Kangaroo ground" a very interesting character and the set-up is interesting in itself.

IIRC he started as an amateur winemaker about 20 years ago. Where he is now seems to be a direct extension of that hobby - still small scale, still hands on. It's a good opportunity to see (and taste) winemaking in action without having to tour 5 different warehouses! I mentioned the set-up: A few years back the local post office was due to close and he objected to it, thought about it and offered to house it within his winery - which is exactly where it is now. Thus you have a typical rural post office with a tremendous sense of community and a small-scale winery operating out of the same building.

The wines - probably too hot in his little tasting area to comment too much on the wines, but the pinots seemed decent.

No connections, I just enjoyed seeing the other end of the scale to the big wineries.

regards

Ian

tex0403

Post by tex0403 »

For something completely different try the Wine Hub at the Yarra Valley dairy they have some interesting stuff. Try some of the Luke Lambert wines.

For some hard to get wines go to the Barrique wine store main street, Healseville.

For appointment only, I had a great expirience at Hillcrest recently. Great wines and david and tanya were great hosts.

Also dont mind Wedgetail but its a little bit off the beaten track.

The Jackal

Post by The Jackal »

Thanks everyone. Some great suggestions. :D

Cheers,

M

Rob

Post by Rob »

Tarrawarra for some nice Pinot. Smart restaurant and tasting area
Cheers
Rob
"The red liquid circulating in my body is actually red wine, not blood."