2004 Clonakilla Ballinderry Cabernets - 14%

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Adair

2004 Clonakilla Ballinderry Cabernets - 14%

Post by Adair »

2004 Clonakilla Ballinderry Cabernets (45% CS, 43% CF, 12% M) – 14% - Canberra region

Beautiful nose, superb actually. A strong musk stick and floral layer on top of a dark and deep base of beautifully ripened Cabernet of ripe plums, dark cherries and blackberry with savoury, spicy, classy oak. Silky, powerful tannin structure on a medium body. Perfectly balanced. Easy yet serious drinking. Drink now to 2010. 93/100 (18/20). $28 CD.

If you are interested in my thoughts on Clonakilla's current range of white wines, go to: http://forum.auswine.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=5471

Adair
Wine is bottled poetry.

Cheyne

Post by Cheyne »

Hi Adair,

I had a bottle of the Ballinderry a week or so ago and really enjoyed it. I found it very similar to as you have described, particularly the floral tones, dark fruits and spicy oak.

I picked it up out of curiosity having only ever drunk the Hilltops Shiraz and Shiraz Viognier from Clonakilla before. For my money, it was delicious, but I'll be buying another to keep for a few years to see what it becomes as i felt it was probably a little too early for this one.

Cheers
Cheyne

PaulV

Post by PaulV »

I'm with you Adair. A really nice wine. Had it at the winery last week. For me, far better than the Hilltops Shiraz which while a nice wine was simple and lacked interest.

Cheers
Paul

ps I have no idea how you liked the viognier - way over the top for me. Just too oaky and too rich - would have liked to have seen more crunchy acid to tone down the richness.