Oh no! Am I a Label Whore?!

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Ollie

Oh no! Am I a Label Whore?!

Post by Ollie »

All,

Sorry for the use of the word, but as I was sitting here searching the web for news of the latest vintage of 'Dead Arm' it suddenly struck me that I'm turning into what could be classed as a Label Whore.
I find myself attracted to expensive and sought after wines and I'm influenced by Halliday, Oliver and dare I say it Parker(I thought 'He who must not be named' was an evil wizard in the Harry Potter books, but in some circles its Robert Parker Jr.)
My girlfriend has noticied that sometimes in wine shops I seem to be in a haze and mumble things like 'look they've got Meschach and look here they've also got Platinum Label' and my wallet seems to almost levitate out of my pocket as if some magical force is drawing it towards my hand.
I find myself staring at pictures of labels of things like Amon Ra and Astralis and keep having to talk myslef out of rushing out and buying them, although I will be purchasing some 2005 Amon Ra once I can get some. Damn! succumbed again!
Do others suffer from this or am I alone and you all think I'm mad and should be struck off the forum?
Is there a cure? Maybe a course of Yellowtail and Rawson's Retreat?
Or should I embrace my feelings, pour myself a glass of duck muck(My, how I would like some of that in the cellar) stand up and shout 'I'm a Label Whore and proud of it!!'

Cheers!

Ollie :wink:

TORB

Re: Oh no! Am I a Label Whore?!

Post by TORB »

What you need to do is to take the next step; its like the next degree in the Masonic Lodge; the secrets are only handed to those you have reached a certain stage and are ready for the next step.

What you have to do is forget about the "known labels" and find the wines that are just as good, much less expensive and have not reached the stage of being "discovered" by the scribes and then "hyped" by the masses who are chasing trophies. :)
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

Ollie
I think one of the best solutions to this is to get to the large tastings run every now and again in London (e.g. Australia Life run by Wine & Spirit magazine or decanters equivalent). It gets you into the swing of making judgements on wine you taste. They can be a bit of a scrum (watch for visiting Kiwi's rucking their way through :wink: )

FWIW a little label worship isn't so bad, in some respects you're respecting the name and tradition (e.g. Bests, Wendouree, even Penfolds). Also, as long as you're still sampling, then a bottle based on a critics (or someone here) review is fair enough. If you then make your own call having tasted it, then I see no issue.

I do the same as you in wine shops - it's healthy to recognise well regarded wines when looking for the next thing to try. Quite sensible IMO.

Where it's good to draw the line, is to avoid buying a full case just because someone gave it lots of points. If you were to do this you'd have a cellar the size of, well .... a very large cellar. You might not like it either!

I've certainly got plenty more than the odd bottle of stuff I've never tried. Much of my cellar is for dabbling (with some old faves holding their own). I like variety so I'm happy to do this. I do have a half dozen of Penfolds RWT 1999 which I've never tasted though. I bought it because I was getting a bit label/review focused as well. It might be to my tastes (I liked the aim of a more european style than the other £££'y Penfolds wines), but I don't know yet. I hope I'll do less of that in the future, but I'll still have no qualms about buying 1,2 or even 3 bottles of something without tasting it.

So from my perspective, it's ok, but just keep it under control and let your tastebuds as well as your eyes have a say in your winebuying.

and if you need some therapy, try this (from Big Train comedy show)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGATTQkiQPA

regards

Ian

Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Ian, no need to worry about the 1999 RWT... it is a fantastic wine. Tried a bottle in March and found it to be a superbly balanced Barossa Shiraz.

Ollie, if you enjoy drinking label wines and don't mind the cost that comes with it, who cares! As long as you enjoy what you are drinking that should really be the bottom line when it comes to wine. :D
Premierships and great wine... that is what life is all about

smithy

Post by smithy »

8) I'm with Torb.
Going the hi profile known labels just costs money for no real benifit.

In McLaren Vale try the 04 Foggo Reserve Shiraz, Awesome gear at $30.

Cheers
Smithy
home of the mega-red

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

Can't agree

Choose a great wine retailer - modesty forbids :oops: :oops: :oops:

and believe everything I, oh I mean they, say.

:lol:
regards

Gavin Trott

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

smithy wrote:8) I'm with Torb.

Cheers
Smithy

The Black Myriah Sparkling Shiraz is good stuff too, same price. When are you going to make a sparkling Shiraz or Durif smithy? :-) :?:
Cheers
Brian
Life's too short to drink white wine and red wine is better for you too! :-)

smithy

Post by smithy »

8) Sparkling?
Bit of a sore point really as I've promised to do one for ages.

Actually made a S/D sparkling a few years ago, but didn't like it so we tossed it out.

Tossing out wine not up to scratch is great..(There should be more of it!)

Cheers
Smithy
home of the mega-red

Davo

Re: Oh no! Am I a Label Whore?!

Post by Davo »

TORB wrote:What you need to do is to take the next step; its like the next degree in the Masonic Lodge; the secrets are only handed to those you have reached a certain stage and are ready for the next step.

What you have to do is forget about the "known labels" and find the wines that are just as good, much less expensive and have not reached the stage of being "discovered" by the scribes and then "hyped" by the masses who are chasing trophies. :)

As the Meatloaf song goes, "You took the words right out of my mouth".

Which is why I do at least one research trip east every year. There is some very good juice out there coming from producers whose names you never hear mentioned on these boards, and due to this research more and more "names" are dropping off my annual purchase list.

Mind you this is also made easier by the producers of these labels as they push their prices higher and higher, some to ridiculous heights.

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

smithy wrote:8) I'm with Torb.

Cheers
Smithy

Great fruit shame about the very ordinary oak treatment (for my tastes).
GW

ChrisH

Post by ChrisH »

Ollie

TORB and Ian speak a lot of sense ....if you are being serious about the subject that is.

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

Having a few favourite labels which you buy often is not an issue. Labels are often labels for a reason

its when you need every label, every next best thing, every well rated, every trophy winner.....

that is the sick addiction of the wine geek
Follow me on Vivino for tasting notes Craig Thomson

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

Craig(NZ) wrote:Having a few favourite labels which you buy often is not an issue. Labels are often labels for a reason

its when you need every label, every next best thing, every well rated, every trophy winner.....

that is the sick addiction of the wine geek

and the road to recovery is noting just how many recommendations, bargains and great wines out there. Even if we all combined our resources, we still couldn't afford to get every recommended or sought after wine.

There's always another great wine around the corner (and sometimes it's such a surprise when it appears).

Serge Birbrair

Post by Serge Birbrair »

Not to be argumentative, but there are certain compforts "the labels" provide, the price being one of them.

Yes, you pay MORE for them than for the "unknowns", but....you know exactly what you are getting, while research may set you back a few dollars.

I was 'researching Burgundy and only liked 1 out of the first 10 bottles, which all together costed me more than 1 bottle of DRC.

I found few producers I like and I stick with them for major purchases.

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

Serge wrote:Not to be argumentative, but there are certain compforts "the labels" provide, the price being one of them.

Yes, you pay MORE for them than for the "unknowns", but....you know exactly what you are getting, while research may set you back a few dollars.

I was 'researching Burgundy and only liked 1 out of the first 10 bottles, which all together costed me more than 1 bottle of DRC.

I found few producers I like and I stick with them for major purchases.

Fair comment - you found what works for you. Burgundy has a reputation for being more miss than hit. My research there is slower and I'm looking to buy more mature bottles, which should give me a better idea of whether to pursue the region or just try the odd bottle now and again as I do currently.

The other factor you get out of the established labels is a track record of cellaring - and you can have a pretty good idea of how the wine will turn out. With the new stars there will be plenty of +ve and -ve surprises as they develop in the cellar.

Perhaps it's better to be a label whore than a points whore?

regards

Ian

Davo

Post by Davo »

Serge wrote:

Yes, you pay MORE for them than for the "unknowns", but....you know exactly what you are getting,

Ummm, NO YOU DON'T. To be argumentative :lol:

Wine changes from year to year from many factors, changes in weather over vintage to changes in winemaker etc and I know quite a few folk, myself included, who have got stuck with a box of crap because they bought the "label" without trying beforehand, relying instead on reputation or past experience.

Serge Birbrair

Post by Serge Birbrair »

Ian S wrote:
Serge wrote:
Perhaps it's better to be a label whore than a points whore?

regards

Ian

No arguments from me. I find points vary from one critic to another, as points are subjective. I read notes and notes are much closer to each other than points. If critic A says - "smoke" and critic B says "toasty oak", I know I have to avoid the wine REGARDLESS of points.
I passed on more than few "high points" '05 Bordeaux just for thsi reason alone.

Serge Birbrair

Post by Serge Birbrair »

Davo wrote:
Serge wrote:

Yes, you pay MORE for them than for the "unknowns", but....you know exactly what you are getting,

Ummm, NO YOU DON'T. To be argumentative :lol:

Wine changes from year to year from many factors, changes in weather over vintage to changes in winemaker etc and I know quite a few folk, myself included, who have got stuck with a box of crap because they bought the "label" without trying beforehand, relying instead on reputation or past experience.

Davo, what you said is true, wine does changes from year to year, but what is the constant is a WINEMAKER's hand and philosophy.
You know what to expect from winemaker A, even in the tougher year, than from unknown winemaker B.
1998 was a tough year in Burgundy, and I was rather pleased with the results some of my favorite producers demonstrated in that tough year.

In the GOOD year the task is easier, as it's much easier to come up with better wine in good year than in the bad year, but LESSER vintages is what separates men from the boys.

Ollie

Post by Ollie »

Thanks for the therapy guys it really helped, so much so that I placed an order today for some Dead Arm 04, Godolphin '05, Amon Ra '05 and Bonesetter '02, I must be cured! :wink:

I think part of my problem is that I'm a big fan of Aussie Wine, from a learning perspective its far easier to understand than say French or Italian, but being so far from Oz means I not going to experience the smaller, less well known producers who export little or no wine.

I'm sure the Uk based forumites like Ian S will correct me on this but its only the big players(Hardy's, Southcorp) or 'Labels' or Producers / Wines that score well with the critics that make it to these shores.
The 'up and coming' or 'undiscovered' probably won't be over here until they become recognised outside of Oz and turn into the 'Labels'

Cheers

Ollie

cranky

Post by cranky »

If you get up to London town, call in at Philglas & Swiggot, near Clapham Junction. Expat aussies who bring in a range of hard-to-find gear (big label or not ;)).
Some wines are at virtually the same price as here, but some are considerably more expensive. :?

PS: I just checked their website, and they have opened up a couple more outlets.

Ollie

Post by Ollie »

Thanks Cranky,

Yes I'm aware of Philglas & Swiggot, they have a good range of Aussie wine although as you said the pricing is very up and down, I mean 99 Dollars for Joseph Sparkling Red is a little expensive!

I use another london based outfit called 'Oz Wines' they have very competitive pricing and always have an interesting and ever changing list. Friendly, helpful guys!

Hope Gavin doesn't mind me mentioning them? Although, its not really direct competition being as they are on a different continent :wink:

Cheers

Ollie

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

Ollie
Some more to add with good aussie selections

- Vin Du Van in Kent has a very good selection, though I was a little disappointed with the pricing (one of those instances where maybe you're paying for the wide selection and the effort / risk that goes with that). The guy who runs it appears to be a complete basket case if the wine list is anything to go by and it's not got a web presence. Would be a great source for experimental purchases.

- Noel Young whose runs a shop out of Cambridge and also occasionally posts here. Noel is a very good source for hard to source aussie wines and is very much on the ball wrt the latest big thing. He's not always the cheapest for a wine, but over a few purchases I've found that he has a good nose for interesting wines and overall I reckon I've got very good value for money. Bargains aren't all about red stickers with reduced on them!

- Oddbins are pretty variable these day, but still worth keeping an eye on. The Preston Circus branch in Brighton played a major part in my interest in wine, by running a wine tasting at my works social club, then setting up one of the first Oddbins tasting clubs, with the 1st event having Grange, Bin 389 and Bin 707 alongside others. Check to see if they still have such a club.

- Majestic seem to be slipping wrt Australia at the moment, but they do tend to wax and wane as their turnover of lines seems high.

- Some interesting wines at Luvians in Scotland (mail order possible, but web site still awaiting completion!). Ditto Raeburns (Zubhair Mohammed) in Edinburgh, which I find is another merchant with a great nose for good wine.

- Plenty of other good ones around and Butlers wine cellar in Brighton might be worth a look (IMO there's some grossly opportunistic pricing, but the bin-ends are apparently worth keeping an eye out for).

- There's an interesting web presence from Hailsham Cellars, with as well as their shop, an attempt to break into web sales via "Wine Direct" website. Prices are fair and the offers can be very attractive.

p.s. Fully agree that Aussie wine is easier to break into. In part the wines are fairly easy to understand, ditto the labels. In addition though, I think the quality of wine writing in Oz is high and the three big annual wine books (Halliday, Penguin, Oliver) with drinking windows & tasting notes included, make it easier to choose bottles to try.

regards

Ian