Sunday morning weekly reports due please...

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
MartinC

Post by MartinC »

<b>Shadowfax Pink Cliff 2001</b> - Med-to full, dry,fine grainny tannins, balanced but find it a puritan for $60bucks - Good

<b>Shadowfax One Eye 2001</b> - Fuller & richer, better depth of flavours, mocha, spices, complex and more intense - V.Good

<b>WDC Springflat 2000</b> - Full trottle nose, excellent palate weight, gobs of ripe fruits, liquer cherries, structured n finishes long - Excellent!

Shadowfax wines - very interesting dreadnought btl/wax capsule but for $60, way overpriced. Without the power of the Heathcote's icons ie.Jasper, RedEdge or WDC. More like Micheton Print/ Seppelt St.Peter style. Wine for wine, the Prints & St.Peter give me more pleasure.

Rgds,
MC

<i>"If our life on earth is so short, why not live every day as if it were our last. This is the path to happiness and spiritual enlightenment"
Omar Khayyam 1048 -1122</b>

Adair

Post by Adair »

MartinC wrote:"The virtues of wine, women and song - if our life on earth is so short, why not live every day as if it were our last. This is the path to happiness and spiritual enlightenment"
Omar Khayyam 1048 -1122

... and a life with bloody massive headaches, STDs and given my voice, no friends!!! :D

In jest,
Adair

Phil Shorten

Weekend consumption....

Post by Phil Shorten »

Friday night

2001 Veritas Shiraz Grenache (Barossa Valley, Australia)

Nice ripe and savoury, soft tannins, blueberry, dark cherry and mocha. Drinking well now.

Saturday night....with Beef Curry

2001 Cave de Vignerons, Turckheim Gewurtztraminer (Alsace, France)

Nice full varietally correct Gewurtz, little bit of residual sugar. Good acidity.

2000 Ravenswood Amador County Zinfandel (Sonoma, California)

Very nicely fruited medium+ bodied Zinfandel. One of the few reds I've tried that can successfully stand up to Indian food. Excellent value.

Sunday...with Roast Haunch of Venison

2002 Donhoff QbA Riesling (Nahe, Germany)

Made from declassified fruit of near Spatlese oechsle level. Nice floral apple blossom aromatics. Initially shows a bit of residual sugar (which strangely faded in the glass). Quite full in spite of its 9.5% alcohol. Green apples and minerals, with nice steely acidity. Top stuff.

1993 Volnay 1er Cru Close de la Bousse d'Or, La Pousse d'Or (Burgundy, France)

Drinking well, dry and savoury, silky mouthfeel, quite high acidity and very fine grained tannins. Classy stuff that has the structure to age for 5 years+. Excellent

1998 Tantara Winery, Laetitia Vineyard Pinot Noir, Arroyo Grand Valley (California)

Slightly worrying smoky bacon/tomato ketchup nose, but very good on the palate. Quite similar to the Volnay in structure, the only difference being the fruit sweetness (not unpleasant in any way though) from physiologically very ripe grapes and perhaps reflecting the warmer climate. 14.5% alcohol is barely discernible. Excellent

2001 Galpin Peak Pinot Noir, Bouchard Finlayson (Walker Bay, South Africa)

Another very high quality pinot noir. Still youthful and slightly closed. Very elegant wine - silky mouthfeel - dances on the tongue - a winner for me - there's good wine coming out of Walker Bay. Excellent

2002 Mount Edward Pinot Noir (Central Otago, New Zealand)

Barely out of its nappies, very good wine. Like all of the other wines, beautiful silky mouthful, ripe fruit; most importantly, this wine is varietally correct (unlike some other Kiwis I've had - I find the Wither Hills to be more like a Syrah than a Pinot), fine grained tannins, balanced alcohol (unlike the 2002 Mt Difficulty which I think is excessively alcoholic to the point it is out of balance). Excellent

Four top line Pinot Noirs. The New World wines were every bit as good as their Burgundian cousin, though I have little doubt that they were made to emulate Burgundy. The one area where the Burgundy does hold sway is ageability. It will hold for 5-10 years comfortably, and develop interesting tertiary characters. The Californian was at its peak and would hold for perhaps 18 months. The South African and Kiwi will both develop and improve for 5 years, but I can't see either of them being 10+ years wines - though they are still very good indeed.

Cheers
Phil

Popov

Post by Popov »

Hi All,

For me it was a quiet one with just two wines:
Firstly a 2001 Kays Shiraz: a good wine that got better as the bottle went on.
Secondly, a 2001 Tahbilk Marsanne: it has been said before but this is such a good QPR drink it is almost unbelievable!

Almost forgot, I tried the new Domain Phillip Jones Pinot Noir at a tasting on the weekend and met the maker himself. A really nice guy. This wine makes me want to try a few of the highly regarded Bass Phillips Pinots!

Cheers
Popov

Post by Guest »

simm wrote:
michel wrote:Wynns Black Label Cabernet 1996
toooo young and closed and tight opened up over two hours but the best is yet to come
my last six will not be touched for 5 years

Hi Michel,

I really keep an eye on any TN's about this wine as I only have two bottles left. By all accounts I am going to have them for some time as it goes on and on with its slow rise to the peak.....

much appreciated and regards,

P.S. Howdy AJ

Still have not opened my case as yet. Probably another few years before I try one.
MM.

Andy

Post by Andy »

Over the last week or so hightlights have inluded:

Russet Ridge Cab-Shiraz-Merlot 1998 - Thoroughly enjoyable quaffer that has great balance and fruit quality. Such good value at around $14. I hear the 99' is pretty handy too.

West Cape Howe Shiraz 2002 - Not as good as the 01' for me but still has great intensity of fruit and a lifted nose from the 7% viogner. They seem to do this style well.

Rosemount Traditional 2001 - Everything you've heard is true. I loved this wine but regret not decanting as it developed and changed in the glass over a couple of hours. Nose was closed but there was some really interesting mushroom characteristics coming through. Structure that will reward aging.

O'Leary Walker Clare/McLaren Vale Shiraz 2002 - I bought this after reading all the feedback on this site. The nose was so very Clare - subtle and refined for mine. Really good drop for the price, just not my style.

but the highlight of late ......

Afternoon in the gardens with the better half, perfect spring sun and a bottle of Charles Melton Rose of Virginia 2002. How can a wine under $20 deliver so much pleasure?

Recent regrets: 2001 Evans & Tate Gnracha - I have never liked this label. Thin, a touch green and unpleasant.

NV Pommery Champagne - can't believe what they charge for this.

1994 Blue Pyrenees Red Blend - The most corked wine I have ever come accross. :cry: So sad as I was really looking forward to it after years of tender cellaring.

Happy drinking.

Cheers

Andy

michaelw

Post by michaelw »

Andy wrote:Russet Ridge Cab-Shiraz-Merlot 1998 - Thoroughly enjoyable quaffer that has great balance and fruit quality. Such good value at around $14. I hear the 99' is pretty handy too.

Andy,

Did you have any of the 1997? I had a few of these and they were excellent. For a lesser year this was a wine that was always pleasing.

I haven't tried the 1998 yet, but when we finish unpacking from our move on the weekend I'll be sure to get one out and give it a go.
Ciao,

michaelw

You know it makes sense!

Adam

Post by Adam »

markg wrote:Whoops, forgot my trip to Noons Cellar Door yesterday - Doh...

Standouts from tasting the entire line up (except the house reds which had all sold out) was the 2002 Eclipse (Seemed to be better balanced than the 2001), the Solaire (Yum, can't wait to crack a bottle with some Special Reserve Black Chedar) and the wonderful, decadant Vintage Port (Only got 2 bottles out of 6 I ordered - Rats !!).

Did you try the 2002 reserve cabernet??

I picked up 6 bottles from a NZ wine store for $50 each....not a bad buy?

GrahamB

Post by GrahamB »

Andy wrote:Over the last week or so hightlights have inluded:

Russet Ridge Cab-Shiraz-Merlot 1998 - Thoroughly enjoyable quaffer that has great balance and fruit quality. Such good value at around $14. I hear the 99' is pretty handy too.

Agree totally on the Russet Ridge - Great quaffer

West Cape Howe Shiraz 2002 - Not as good as the 01' for me but still has great intensity of fruit and a lifted nose from the 7% viogner. They seem to do this style well.

I tried this wine (2001) about 12 - 14 months ago and was blown away with the absolute quality. Tried the 2002 about 4 weeks ago and was disappointed. Bought some more to try again in a month or two.

Rosemount Traditional 2001 - Everything you've heard is true. I loved this wine but regret not decanting as it developed and changed in the glass over a couple of hours. Nose was closed but there was some really interesting mushroom characteristics coming through. Structure that will reward aging.

Decant and live the sensations.

O'Leary Walker Clare/McLaren Vale Shiraz 2002 - I bought this after reading all the feedback on this site. The nose was so very Clare - subtle and refined for mine. Really good drop for the price, just not my style.

but the highlight of late ......

Afternoon in the gardens with the better half, perfect spring sun and a bottle of Charles Melton Rose of Virginia 2002. How can a wine under $20 deliver so much pleasure?

Recent regrets: 2001 Evans & Tate Gnracha - I have never liked this label. Thin, a touch green and unpleasant.

NV Pommery Champagne - can't believe what they charge for this.

1994 Blue Pyrenees Red Blend - The most corked wine I have ever come accross. :cry: So sad as I was really looking forward to it after years of tender cellaring.

Happy drinking.

Cheers

Andy

Tonight Wednesday, a 99 Saltram No 1, and a 98 Metala Black label.

Can life mid week get better than this :lol:

Graham
Chardonnay: A drink you have when there is no RED wine, the beer hasn't arrived and the water may be polluted

simm

Post by simm »

GrahamB wrote:
Andy wrote:Over the last week or so hightlights have inluded:

Agree totally on the Russet Ridge - Great quaffer

Decant and live the sensations.

Happy drinking.

Cheers

Andy

Tonight Wednesday, a 99 Saltram No 1, and a 98 Metala Black label.

Can life mid week get better than this :lol:

Graham

I never really took to the Russet Ridge, but The Traditional was great when I didn't decant it. Ahh...Friday night is looming...

Looking forward to a TN for those Graham :!:

Best to you all
simm.

"I ain't drunk! I' still drinkin' !!"

Andy

Post by Andy »

michaelw wrote:
Andy wrote:[b]Andy,

Did you have any of the 1997? I had a few of these and they were excellent. For a lesser year this was a wine that was always pleasing.

I haven't tried the 1998 yet, but when we finish unpacking from our move on the weekend I'll be sure to get one out and give it a go.

Michael,

98' was the first time I discovered Russet Ridge - partly because it was still around in shops earlier this year whereas other quaffers from that vintage were gone years ago (oh, how I enjoyed the 98' Wynns Shiraz and regret not buying more at $10 :( ). Obviously a reliable wine over the past three released vintages.

Good luck with the move and we'll be interested to know your thoughts on the 98'.

By the way, has anyone got a TV on the 94' Blue Pyrenees Red to let me know what I missed out on?

Cheers

Andy

markg

Post by markg »

Adam wrote:
markg wrote:Whoops, forgot my trip to Noons Cellar Door yesterday - Doh...

Standouts from tasting the entire line up (except the house reds which had all sold out) was the 2002 Eclipse (Seemed to be better balanced than the 2001), the Solaire (Yum, can't wait to crack a bottle with some Special Reserve Black Chedar) and the wonderful, decadant Vintage Port (Only got 2 bottles out of 6 I ordered - Rats !!).

Did you try the 2002 reserve cabernet??

I picked up 6 bottles from a NZ wine store for $50 each....not a bad buy?

Pretty good retail price. The Res Cab has fetched up to $150+ at Langtons and Oddbins over the past year, although it seems that the 1999 and 2000 can be had for $60+ at auctions recently.
Cheers
-Mark Wickman

WICKMAN'S FINE WINE AUCTIONS
FREE membership, LOWEST auction commissions in Australia.
Now accepting wine for our next auction.
http://www.wickman.net.au

Twitter: @WickWine
YouTube: WickWineAuction

GraemeG

Post by GraemeG »

[quote="Andy]
By the way, has anyone got a TV on the 94' Blue Pyrenees Red to let me know what I missed out on?
Andy[/quote]

Well, I bought 3 bottles of this back in 96 and carefully held them. The first one I opened in, oh 2001 probably, and it showed nothing at all - not faulty, but no obvious fruit, really nothing at all. In late 2002 I opened a second bottle, which was horribly corked. So the 3rd bottle bit the dust straight away, and although not faulty, again also had nothing much to say. I was really puzzled! Whatever fruit the wine had just disappeared, tannins softened away, acid faded - it's a very strange experience to taste a wine like this! I've not bought any more, although BP did send me a couple of bottles of the 99 reserve red as compensation for the corked bottle.

Only once since have I had this experience - a 1989 Mt Langi something (forget the exact cuvee) that was a pale brick colour, but could have been a glass of water for all the flavour & structure it had. No nose, no palate, nothing! Makes you think you're neurological system has gone entirely on the blink ("Ah, I've lost my sense of small and taste") until you move to the next glass and everything's fine. Hard to write a tasting note that jut reads - "water with food colouring..."

cheers,
Graeme