Sunday and .......

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
TORB

Sunday and .......

Post by TORB »

Hi Good Peoples,

Watcha been drinking?

Last night I opened a Fox Creek 1998 Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon, the first from a six pack to see how it was progressing. The nose showed blackcurrant, vanilla and new shoe leather. Palate flavours of blackcurrant, mulberry, liquorice, vanilla, and menthol. Full-bodied with $hit loads of dusty tannins that still need to resolve, they still dominate and finish that is very dry but the tannins are incredibly long; the strong fruit is still very fresh and the wine has years to go. The question is will the tannins go harder before the fruit drops away or will the tannins drop out to leave a gorgeous wine? My bet is the former, by a short stave.

Now tell us what you have been drinking please.
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

Tonight, my very first bottle to undergo (unintentional) secondary fermentation in the bottle. The note from CT below (and if anyone has any comments and can confirm or correct my assessment based on the text, they'd be welcomed)

2000 Bodega Tacuil 33 de Davalos (Argentina)
This bottle had seemingly undergone secondary fermentation in the bottle (quite an achievement if the labelled 14.5% alc was correct) and there was a noticeable spritz to it as well as a sour bitter taste dominating the palate, with the tail end of the finish having a definite *yeasty flavour. Utterly undrinkable.

*I double checked on this, as I wondered if the first taste had been power of suggestion, but the second taste confirmed full-on brewers yeast type aroma.

Yesterday, a sound but pretty plain Bellei extra dry sparkler from Lambrusco country (Emilia-Romagna), but made by metodo tradizionale (i.e. as per champagne). Perhaps some cellaring would have helped as the structure was ok with fine persistant bubbles and nice firm acidity (and when they say extra dry, they do mean it!). The fruit however just couldn't fight through and the best I got was a bit of grapefruit and lemon, though I think these may have been more mental images of the austerity.

If I had another bottle I'd put it down for 3-4 years before trying again. I've no previous experience with this wine, but it had enough about it to suggest it had some development potential.

regards

Ian

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

As well as the T-Chow offline this week, I tried the Penley Estate range at an instore last Thursday night.

I found all of the 2004 reds extremely disappointing, the 14.5% alcohol across the board really showing through with stinky, heavily toasted oak leaving a Tequila like impression. The 2002 Reserve had better oak and some resemblance of blackcurrant fruit in the background, but it was still hot (still 14.5%) and by that stage I didn't care. Despite all the awards/accolades these wines have won, surely Coonawarra isn't supposed to be like this? :?

I dunno, maybe I was having one of those "root days"? :roll:
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.

griff

Post by griff »

Two warm wines for me, although it feels like spring in sydney

Rockford Cabernet Savignon 1997 (cork)
Good wine from a poor year, prefered this to the 1997 shiraz both on release and now. Brown/red colour, Chocolate and slightly spiritous nose with a palate demonstrating oxidative handling (basket press does this I suspect) quite savoury, cranberry fruit and somewhat herby but chocolate once again. Not finishing hot despite the nose. Reminded me of a wimpy VP :) Drink up

Noon Solaire 2001
(cork)
Interesting style and quite moreish so more wine than VP I guess. More Fruitcake than the above wine and less chocolate. Quite sweet and rich but not as dense as other years and quite light compared to other years (never thought I would call a 17.2% wine 'light').

And just because its feeling like spring:

Wolf Blass Gold Label Riesling 2004 (Screwcap)
Very nice wine. I wonder how much ascorbic acid they put in this, still spritzy and green-gold in colour. Lime and some toast on the nose already. Seamless, tight sour lime on the palate. Tight finish. Begs for something rich like smoked salomon or oysters.

Off to try the Balnaves sparkling red now...

cheers

Carl
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

Just quaffers.

Jip Jip Rocks Limestone Coast (Padthaway) Shiraz 04 Complete with a few gold medals on the label. They were all from the Wine Challenge and one was a Blue Gold this year. Yeah, who cares? Not really my style, too plummy. A bit simple but it has some interest, good acid, not too tannic and the oak's not overdone. Reasonable finish. Fans of Oomoo would like it. Don't often find o/d oak much these days, at least at the quaffer level. $12.95.

D'Arenberg Footbolt Shiraz 04 This is more to my liking. A bit more oak, some plummy fruit supported by red and dark berries. Some length on the finish. Nice $15.95 wine.

Taylors Cab 04 Not bad, with mixed red and dark berry fruit and a touch of cassis. Typical dusty cab tannins that add some length to the finish. $9.90 (should've been $11)

Taylors Shiraz 04 I like this wine, coolish climate shiraz. Enough toasty oak to notice on the palate (palette? :roll: ). Softish tannins, some plums with dark berry fruit, licorice and a medium finish. $12. Line-ball between this and the Footrot.

I tend to fluctuate back and forth from shiraz to cab with the occasional red blend. Taylors seem to have had a good year in 04.

Cheers

daz [/b]

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

Some recent notes/vibes in no particular order.

Rockford Cabernet Sauvignon 1998
Medium bodied wine, decanted early in the day after funny corky notes and a strangely citric finish on the palate. Mellowed out a few hours later - gentle but maybe a bit thin and simple? Very different from a bottle I tried a few months back that was a bit like old faded leather couches. I feel that this is probably drinking as well as it probably ever will.

Louis Jadot Bourgogne 2004?
Thin, savoury and unappealling.

Stoneleigh Pinot Noir 2004
Ticks all the boxes - a well made wine but without a great deal of character and interest.

Penfolds Pinot Noir 2004 Cellar Reserve
Like the last one I had, big and plummy and very much a Penfolds wine. Big, ripe and comfortable, steroidal pinot. Not blessed with subtlety.

Tatachilla Foundation Shiraz 2000
Don't understand this brand. I have never really enjoyed any of them much. Big and fuzzy (or was that my brain at the end of the night?), oak and balance. Again, seems to tick boxes but not particularly exciting.

Gramps Botrytis Semillon 2002
A nothing sticky, all sweet, formulaic and cloying. Light in colour, lacking any real complexity. Better in desserts perhaps!

Orlando Lawsons Shiraz 1999
Big, inky wine with obvious oak and eucalypt characters. Overriding impression of liquorice/aniseed. Tasted a bit musty for a while but seemed to freshen up after a while. A tight, impressively big wine with lots of fruit and some more time up it's sleeve. Now that's more like it!

Jacobs Creek Reserve Cabernet 2001
Subtle green characters, a bit flabby but with nice enough fruit and oak. OK.

Jim Barry Eden Valley Riesling 2005
Crisp, slightly sweet and full. Nice with pre-lunch snacks!

Morris Old Premium Muscat
Sensational, raisiny, caramelly. Viscous, dark brown and great length. Fantastic for this time of year!

Mumm NV Champagne
Simple, crisp, slightly lemony. Nothing amazing but quite good nonetheless.

Domaine Comte Senard 1999 Clos de Meix
Savoury, complex and slightly funky. Subtle bretty notes. Interesting - lots going on and evolved over time.

Kooyong Pinot Noir 2001
My last bottle of this. Plummy, driven fruit characters - very Aus pinot in style and quite elegant, good balance. Possibly a bit simple and straightforward (it was tasted against the Burg) but a very good and nicely structured wine. Bring on the 2003s now!

Golding Lenswood Chardonnay 2004
Full flavoured and attractive, only slightly oak-noted. Plenty on show now.
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

and a late addition

1998 Best's Cabernet Sauvignon (10% Merlot) Great Western Concongella Vineyard (Australia, Victoria)
Decanted briefly before drinking, which was a good move as there's a fair degree of sediment thrown.

The garnet colour is only slightly giving way to a touch of red and only showing a fraction of age at the edge. The nose is quite spicy and there's a touch of red fruit along with a little blackcurrant, as well as some smokiness/tobacco especially noticeable after a swirl. A classy start.

On the palate fruit is still very fresh (supported no doubt by the lively acidity). The spiciness is less prominant than on the nose. The acidity carries the fruit through the finish and there's still some fine-grained tannins sitting in the background. Not exceptionally complex, but what is there is nicely balanced.

Drinking very nicely now, but should be more room for further development without the immediate risk of losing the juiciness of the fruit. Definitely not a blockbuster wine, but really quite a classy one, maturing well. Should last 4-5 years at least and possibly a while beyond that, but for those that like a fair dose of primary fruit, it's fine to drink now.

That's more like it!

regards

Ian

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

1996 Lanson Gold Label Chamagne - this was distinctly sweeter than the past 4 or 5 bottles. Not as enjoyable as in the past

1996 Cullens Chardonnay - too tangy for my liking. Once again, not as enjoyable as past bottles.

1999 Voyager Estate Cabernet Merlot - this one lacked any hint of brett (thankfully). Rich, round fruit. Excellent stuff.

2001 Hares Chase Barossa Shiraz - something is wrong here. The fruit seemed to have dried out, yet all the other bottles I've had were still very primary.

1996 Mitchelton Print Shiraz - one of the best shiraz's I've had this year and still very young. Lots of sweet fruit with a tonne of dusty tannins. Really enjoyable stuff.

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

rooview wrote:1997 Fourrier Gevrey-Chambertin "Clos St. Jacques"
At it's peak now. Impcable balance and structure. Outstanding length. Speechless. Wine of the month.

1999 M. Chapoutier Les Bécasses, Côte-Rôtie
Inviting nose of bacon, olives, provencal herbs, coffee and red currants. Spicy, rich and unctuous initially but soon cut through with redeeming acidity and supportive tannins. Surprisingly full bodied. Really requires a good slab of meat for utmost enjoyment. Delicious now but will hold for 5+years.

Was going to bring these to the recent Adelaide offline, but decided to drink 'em instead on a nice Sunday lunch. A few more left so maybe next time!

Adrian

Just to make you envious

Every single Kracher, right up through to #10, and a couple of the new vintage also, with a sensational breakfast at Urban.

What an astounding range of wines these are!
regards

Gavin Trott

Adair

Post by Adair »

2005 Tyrrell’s 4 Acres Shiraz - 13.5% - Hunter Valley, NSW
Stunning wine. A lesson in complexity, harmony and balance. The wine evolved sensationally over the hour I drank the wine, every minute revealing another aspect. Raspberry, cranberry, tar, leather, ash, dried herbs, gravel, earth, dark minerals, wet stones. Light to medium body. Very fine tannins, Superbly integrated acidity. Excellent length. 93/100 (18/20).

2004 Occam’s Razor Shiraz - 15% - Heathcote, Vic
First night: Wonderful strong, ultra fine tannins are lost in jam and alcohol. A Shiraz for New World Mataro/Grenache drinkers. 85/100 (15.5/20)

Second night: The sweet raspberry liquorice fruit is now only background noise to an orchestra of powerful, superbly fine tannins that fill the mouth with graphite, slate and wet stone flavours in harmony with supporting pencil and dry spice characters from excellent oak and the Mataro-like fruit, which is now carried with grace and elegance to a long finish.

This wine is going to age superbly but my next bottle is going to be opened soon after 12 hours in a decanter. 94/100 (18.5/20)

2003 Kay Brothers Amery Hillside Shiraz – McLaren Vale, SA
After a little time in the decanter, this is a big, structured, powerful, serious and very enjoyable wine now. Excellent McLaren Vale Shiraz without any cloying or jaminess. 93/100 (18/20).

2003 Kay Brothers Amery Block 6 Shiraz – 15.5% - McLaren Vale, SA
I enjoyed the 2003 Hillside so much that I opened this wine on the same night. Bad idea! Even after time in the decanter, this beast was not ready to drink. Big, long and powerful, the fruit simply needs more time in the bottle to shine next to the wine’s wonderful structure. This wine will be a classic. 94/100 (18.5/20).

NV Kay's Liqueur Muscat – McLaren Vale
A rich Muscat but does not have the control or complexity of the Seppelt Grand. 87/100(16/20).

2004 Kay Brothers Amery Shiraz
Great wine, 93/100 (18/20), as discussed in full here: http://forum.auswine.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=5276

2003 Kay Brothers Amery Shiraz
Complex and enjoyable but with cooked characters and lacking freshness. An obvious product of a hot year. 85/100 (15.5/20)

2005 d’Arenberg ‘The Last Ditch’ Viognier
Excellent oak handling creates a smooth, generous wine of cream, vanilla with a hint of apricot. Drink now.

2005 d’Arenberg ‘The Hermit Crab’ Viognier/Marsanne
Broad, rich front palate of complexity and interest that is restrained well on the middle and back with fresh acidity and some phenols, which increase the balance of the wine but make the wine lose a little refinement. Nonetheless, excellent wine for $17. 88/100 (16.5/20)

Kind regards,
Adair
Last edited by Adair on Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wine is bottled poetry.

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

Adair wrote:2003 Kay Brothers Amery Hillside Shiraz – McLaren Vale, SA
After a little time in the decanter, this is a big, structured, powerful, serious and very enjoyable wine now. Excellent McLaren Vale Shiraz without any cloying or jaminess. 93/100 (18/20).
Adair

Adair
By chance we have one of these (a kind gift from some visiting Australian friends). It seems to give good enjoyment now - do you think it's a drink over the next year or two and won't improve prospect, or one worth putting down for 3-4 years (or longer?). I'd got it sort of pencilled in for anywhere over the next 4 years.

thanks for the note

regards

Ian

Adair

Post by Adair »

Ian S wrote:
Adair wrote:2003 Kay Brothers Amery Hillside Shiraz – McLaren Vale, SA
Adair

Adair
By chance we have one of these (a kind gift from some visiting Australian friends). It seems to give good enjoyment now - do you think it's a drink over the next year or two and won't improve prospect, or one worth putting down for 3-4 years (or longer?). I'd got it sort of pencilled in for anywhere over the next 4 years.
thanks for the note
regards
Ian

Hello Ian,

I am certain that this wine will provide enjoyment any time over the next 6 years, but it would be more pleasurebale to most people's palates if you wait another 2 years. I have found that I like structure and tightness more than most.

Adair
Wine is bottled poetry.

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

rooview wrote:OK, you win Gavin! I was planning to go along to it but couldn't face wine that early in the morning. :lol:

Come on, I was there at 9 am after the auswine offline.

Where's your dedication!!

:lol:
regards

Gavin Trott

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

Adair wrote:,

[u][b]2004 Kay Brothers Amery Shiraz

Great wine, 93/100 (18/20), as discussed in full here: http://forum.auswine.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=5276

Kind regards,
Adair

Just received samples of the 2004 Kays Amerys, along with an 'advanced look' at the 2004 Hillside and Block 6.

Should be some auswine tasting panel that one!!

:!: :P
regards

Gavin Trott

Partagas

Post by Partagas »

Petaluma Chardonnay 2001 (Piccadilly) - Great stuff. Golden yellow with a fairly full flavour of buttery melon with cashew undertone. Only problem is still a bit of acid up front which will hopefully mellow a bit more in time. Good drop.

Kieran

Post by Kieran »

Aside from the T-Chow outing

Stonier Reserve Chardonnay 01: Nice full-bodied chardonnay
Paringa Estate Shiraz 01: Good cool-climate shiraz
Grosset Polish Hill 97: Very nice wine.
some Versace Sangiovese 04: OK
Capricorn Hawkes Bay Merlot/Malbec 02: Very pleasant actually. Looked like a spruced up cleanskin.
Kaesler Stonehorse GSM 04: Easy drinking with Indian.
Hoddle's Creek Chardonnay 05: Very tight. Needs at least a couple of years.

Kieran
"In the wine of life, some of us are destined to be cork sniffers." - Dilbert

mattECN

Post by mattECN »

1998 Marandoo Run Cabernet Sauvignon (Langhorne Creek) - starting to tire, but nice smooth tannins, refined american oak flavours lingered.

2005 Villa Maria Private Bin Sauvignon Blanc (NZ) - tropical fruit flavours, dominated by gooseberry. Great mouthfeel with crisp finish. Perfect match with Atlantic Salmon with Asian Dressing.

2004 d'Arenberg Footbolt Shiraz - nice savoury fruit flavours, was expecting something a bit more in your face (i.e. big and bold), but thought it was well restrained. Whilst I enjoyed it, it would be better in 1-2 years.

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

Gavin Trott wrote:
Adair wrote:,

[u][b]2004 Kay Brothers Amery Shiraz

Kind regards,
Adair

Just received samples of the 2004 Kays Amerys, along with an 'advanced look' at the 2004 Hillside and Block 6.

Should be some auswine tasting panel that one!!

:!: :P

Me too. I'll race you if you like :)
GW

PS. Adair you flogger...the Occams is excellent.

GraemeG

Post by GraemeG »

Think Mr Oliver was very harsh with his write-up of the 2000 Piper's Brook Opimian Red blend (Tamar), my last bottle of which gave up its cork last night. It's herbal, certainly, but well within the spectrum of 'cabernet', I reckon. Tannin has softened out, and acid is unobtrusive. The flavours are rich olive greens with a dash of cassis & cedar, balance is lovely across the palate, and there's a lingering finish. Oak is subtle, wine is medium-bodied and although quite likely to go another 5 years I don't think there's much lost by drinking now. We'll see how the remaining half fares tonight...
cheers,
Graeme

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

[quote="Gary W"]

GW
quote]

From my memory of seeing you drink.

You'll win!
regards

Gavin Trott

Muscat Mike

Post by Muscat Mike »

Gavin Trott wrote:
Gary W wrote:
GW
quote]

From my memory of seeing you drink.

You'll win!

Maybe Gavin,
but will he enjoy them as much :?: :roll:
MM.

smithy

Post by smithy »

8) Ok For someone that doesn't do TN.

04 Marquis Philips 9 Shiraz

from Gavin for the steal price of $25

This is the bargain of the century!!!! Huge black fruits with chocholate liquorice and black plums. The oak is a bit out there (seems a combination of complex herbal and cheap and cheerful vanilla tones....(all American!)
The tannin structure is massive, showing ripe friuits, soft tannins and magnificent depth . This has mouthfeel to burn, though no alcohol burn in the mouth!
All is in glorious balance, wih a nice bit of acidity to give the wines some serious long term legs. Heres a wine to leave the grandkids.
OK its got 16.5% alc, but don't let that put you off. This is seriously underpriced booze thanks to the split between Sparky and his US distributor . ( It sort of makes the label statement about long term relationships between our 2 countries a bit ironic..but there it is.

The irony is delicious as well!
Yummo!!!

Cheers
Smithy
home of the mega-red

michaelw

Post by michaelw »

1998 Wynns Shiraz (White Label): This was opened last night and is showing as a slightly brick red colour at the moment. It is still showing as quite young, not that different to what I remember it closer to release.

I think this wine still has at least a couple of years left in it. We'll see how it travels again tonight.

I also purchased (and still have) a few 1999 and 2000 of this wine. These haven't overly impressed me on my last tasting of them (upwards of 1 year ago for both of them) so it will also be interesting to see how they travel and to compare them to each other and the 1998.
Ciao,

michaelw

You know it makes sense!

Adair

Post by Adair »

Adair wrote:2004 Occam’s Razor Shiraz - 15% - Heathcote, Vic
Wonderful strong, ultra fine tannins are lost in jam and alcohol. A Shiraz for New World Grenache drinkers. 85/100 (15.5/20)

I have the pleasure of reporting that the remaining glass that has been sitting on my bench for the last 24 hours displays a spectacularly better wine than it was in its first 5 hours.

The sweet raspberry liquorice fruit is now only background noise to an orchestra of powerful, superbly fine tannins that fill the mouth with graphite, slate and wet stone flavours in harmony with supporting pencil and dry spice characters from excellent oak and the Mataro-like fruit, which is now carried with grace and elegance to a long finish.

This wine is going to age superbly but my next bottle is going to be opened soon after 12 hours in a decanter. 94/100 (18.5/20)

Kind regards,
Adair
Wine is bottled poetry.

GRB

Post by GRB »

Angullong Barbera 2005
A variety I had not tried before but I will be checking out in the future, lovely spicey red fruit flavours in a medium bodied wine the was great with food.

Marquis Phillips Shiraz 2004
A bit of heat on the palate and not a great deal of depth or complexity. Not bad for $12 but not a $20+ wine.

Marquis Phillips Sarah's Blend 2004
Shiraz Cab Merlot blend and 0.5% less alc than the shiraz. The extra depth and flavour also hides the heat. Still present but this makes for some pretty good quaffing at $12. On the sweeter side but reasonable complexity and good value if you like them fairly big.

Charles Cimicky Shiraz 1996
Excellent stuff choc tar and coffee with some fruit tucked it there as well. Lovely smooth palate with reasonable length, this one is in the groove now but don't think it will fall over for a couple of years yet.

Water Wheel Cab Sav 2004
All there and a nice wine but just didn't ring any bells for me. Worth a try at
the price.

Seppelt Moyston 2004
This is the real deal great tanin and acid and off sweet fruits backing it up. Way to young at the moment but definately has the goods to go the distance. Need to grab a couple for cellar.

Leasingham Bin 61 2004
Nice enough but I think they have dropped the ball a bit with this label there are better things around at the price.

Leasingham Bin 61 1995
At the end of its life but this bottle was singing, leather, cigar box with just a hint of fruit still hanging in there. Enjoyable stuff but drink up. I have had other bottles recently that were a bit past it.

Glen
Winner of the inaugural RB cork-count competition
Runner up RB-NTDIR competition
Runner up TORB TN competition
Leave of absence second RB c-c competition

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

mattECN wrote:2004 d'Arenberg Footbolt Shiraz - nice savoury fruit flavours, was expecting something a bit more in your face (i.e. big and bold), but thought it was well restrained. Whilst I enjoyed it, it would be better in 1-2 years.

Hmmm, yeah, it is a bit savoury, some licorice too. Maybe that's why this and Taylors Shiraz 04 are my favourite quaffers at present. Excellent value wines when discounted $4-$6, or even more occasionally. They're both sealed with screwcap and may cellar for 5-8 years but why bother when they're cheap and delicious right now. :wink:

Cheers

daz

Roddy

Post by Roddy »

1997 BVE E&E Black Pepper Shiraz - Probably right in its window; medium bodied, jammy stewed redfruit upfront and tons of oak, resolved tannins and not much acid. Nice wine, but a tad too oaky for my palate. 90

1998 Penfolds St Henri Shiraz - Still a baby; lush, soft fruit, silken texture with fine tannins and a wash of acid to freshen up followed by a long finish. Very little oak, yum. 94

2004 Saltram Mamre Brook Cabernet Stunning; Barossa fruit on the front palate, mild oak treatment, lovely chalky tannins giving a solid pucker, great with a lamb shishkebab. Every time I drink it I'm pleasantly surprised at how damn good this wine is. Give it some time. 92

2003 Penfolds Bin 138 GSM Pleasant; Beautiful perfumed nose followed by soft sweet fruits and oak across the mid palate and a hint of grip to finish. Not complex, not as good as the 2004, but enjoyable regardless. 90