touring Australian wine regions - restaurant choices?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
macca

touring Australian wine regions - restaurant choices?

Post by macca »

Hi,

I'm planning a trip to Australia later this year and would like to visit one of the wine regions near either Adelaide or Melbourne while I am there. I'm not too picky about types of wine and enjoy all of them equally. Originally I was leaning towards Barossa but a family member in Brisbane is recommending Yarra over Barossa citing reasons such as a much better choice of restaurants in the Yarra region compared to Barossa. He seems to think that Barossa is lacking in this regard. This could influence my plans as I intend to enjoy both good food and good wine on this trip.

What opinions can the group offer here? Is the choice of restaurants (both lunch & dinner) in the Yarra region really that much better than Barossa? Can anyone who has visited these regions offer any other thoughts on Barossa vs Yarra?

Thanks,
David

TORB

Post by TORB »

There are a gazillion winery restaurants open in the Yarra Valley at lunchtime and whilst majority of them serve good food, there are not too many that serve truly great food.

On the other hand, there are not as many winery restaurants in the Barossa, but overall if you're only going to be there for a few days, there are more good restaurants than you can possibly handle.

Have a look at the last May Tour Diaries for more details.http://www.torbwine.com/tours.shtml
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

macca

Post by macca »

rooview wrote:When you are getting a little closer to coming, post again for suggestions (at either destination)... Hot air baloon rides, tours of cellars/wineries, quality producers or where just to get the best food.

I'll certainly do that. Thanks for taking the time to respond rooview. I appreciate it. I am still researching on the web but your input and the winefront link you gave me was also very useful and interesting.

macca

Post by macca »

Thanks for your input Ric. Looks like I now have plenty of reading material for the weekend. :)

Paradox

Post by Paradox »

Heh heh.

I'm from NZ so I have no affiliations but I reckon this one's easy.

If you want food and city life, stay in Melbourne, and do a brief trip to the Yarra Valley. It's a good day out, there are some interesting things to see and taste, the wines are pretty good and the food is ok. Melbourne food itself is fantastic, and it's a great city.

But if you like wine go to South Australia/Adelaide. Adelaide restaurants are very good, and I like Adelaide's laid back style. The wine areas though are brillliant. The Barossa is probably the best place in the world to do cellar door tastings and the quality of wine is as good as it gets. There is a lot to do in the South Australia wine regions, and there are some very good restaurants there as well. Plus it's an interesting place to stay.

Personally. I'd prefer to spend my time in Melbourne city (and skip the Yarra) and in the Barossa/McLaren Vale/Clare areas for the best of both worlds. But honestly, you won't be disappointed with either, so just see what works best for your trip.

Cheers
Rob

DaveB

Post by DaveB »

Bar Vinum is no more..... I believe Bob is planning to have a cellar door there for his and Chris Ringlands wines and utilise the restaurant for functions.
The Stocky and Greenock pubs have super food now.... Bar Vinum staff have moved on to the Stockwell pub and the food is super. 1918 is very good though a bit variable, Vintners is excellent as well...dont forget to go to the growers market for the best bacon and egg roll in the universe...Magies Pheasant farm is good too as is Salters at Saltram. For coffee head to Cafe Blond in Angaston.

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

A place called Brasserie Moustache (I think) got a good write-up in yesterday's Weekend Aussie. It's in Keyneton and offers French cuisine. A friend recommended it also so could be worth a try.
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

Davo

Post by Davo »

DaveB wrote:Bar Vinum is no more..... I believe Bob is planning to have a cellar door there for his and Chris Ringlands wines and utilise the restaurant for functions.
The Stocky and Greenock pubs have super food now.... Bar Vinum staff have moved on to the Stockwell pub and the food is super. 1918 is very good though a bit variable, Vintners is excellent as well...dont forget to go to the growers market for the best bacon and egg roll in the universe...Magies Pheasant farm is good too as is Salters at Saltram. For coffee head to Cafe Blond in Angaston.

Fully agree and totally endorse the Stockwell Hotel.

Sensational food for the price. Their only problem is the corkage for BYO. At $8 per person it is very exy if 2 people share 1 bottle over dinner. However they do stock a reasonable selection of local drops at not too unreasonable prices.