Adelaide Offline in July?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Steve

Post by Steve »

It was my birthday on Monday and all I got was a cold. Hopefully I'm over it before Friday night :(

No pinot from me!

silkwood

Post by silkwood »

glug.com posted they had a "classic example" of Bret fault in a wine. I managed to get them to send me a bottle (many thanks to Mr.Farmer).

I'm not familiar with the fault so it's a good learning experience for me. Should I bring it along to the Offline? I haven't received it yet so I can't tell you what it is.

Cheers,

Mark

Nick

Post by Nick »

Very interested Mark, that'd be great if you could bring it along.

Cheers
Nick

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

silkwood wrote:glug.com posted they had a "classic example" of Bret fault in a wine. I managed to get them to send me a bottle (many thanks to Mr.Farmer).

I'm not familiar with the fault so it's a good learning experience for me. Should I bring it along to the Offline? I haven't received it yet so I can't tell you what it is.

Cheers,

Mark

Well ... that depends if you're going to drink all of it if the rest of us find it totally revolting :wink:

It could be interesting to try, but please bring at least one spare bottle in case it's destined for the spitoon of shame. Believe me, there are wines so revolting that even at the end of the offline after you've drunk way too much you still can't stomach the thought of going back to (ie. Andrew Jordan's St. Francis, rooview's Bodegas Ismael - you guy's are always going to have to make up for bringing that awful crap to an offline! :twisted:)

Cheers,
Ian
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.

Nick

Post by Nick »

Evening All

My wife's now available for dinner for Friday night, so if it's possible to extend the reservation by one, she'd love to come along. If it's too late we totally understand and at least I'll have a driver!

Since this is my first one of these, would you suggest that we bring one decent glass each along with our wines?

Cheers
Nick

silkwood

Post by silkwood »

Don't worry, Ian, I plan to bring other wine :) . I thought some might want to try the "Glug" sample for interest. My post was because I thought those attending would be thouroughly familiar with the fault, in which case I could save it for a different group. On the other hand there might be others attending who, like me, will want to try it.

Cheers,

Mark

Nayan

Post by Nayan »

Jeez, I head up boozing to Clare for a couple of days and this thread goes wild...

Nick - No problems with bringing the lady wife.
David - likewise

So confirmed so far:

Gavin
Shadrach
Steve
Ian
Nick (+1)
Kieran (+2)
Myself
Silkwood

That's eleven definite

Glassware - If you can bring your own glassware, then this would be handy, if not please post here by about 7pm on Thursday so I can organise some XL5s. Also, as far as I am aware decanters are an alien concept at T Chow...
Last edited by Nayan on Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

Nayan wrote:Also, as far as I am aware decanters are an alien concept at T Chow...

This is worth adding here - please open your wines and decant them (if possible) in advance to check they're not suffering any TCA/oxidation fault, and to (hopefully) show them at their best.

As for weird stuff like Brett, DMS, etc, as I mentioned above bring a spare in case it's so revolting it's only good for the Spitoon Of Shame.

Cheers,
Ian

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

Sounds great guys, love to come and meet a few but can't make it anyway. Maybe next time. Enjoy the Chow!
Cheers
Wayno

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

David

Post by David »

We are sorry that an illness inthe family means we wont be able to make it Friday.

We were looking forward to it. Next time.

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

David wrote:We are sorry that an illness in the family means we wont be able to make it Friday.

We were looking forward to it. Next time.

Sorry to hear that David - I hope there's a speedy recovery, and to see you both at the next one.

We're now looking at 11 attending (and Adrian?) - what are people planning on taking so we can try and avoid duplications?:

I've got in mind a 1998 Tintara Reserve Grenache (if that's corked I've got a 1996 d'Arenberg Custodian as a stand-by) and an aged Riesling (1993 Henschke or 1989 Tollana Eden Valley).

Cheers,
Ian.

Nick

Post by Nick »

Definitely bringing a 2001 Fattoria Zerbina Pietramora Sangiovese.

Haven't decided what else yet - might wait and see what others are bringing so we don't double up...

Cheers
Nick

Steve

Post by Steve »

I've a 94 Tim Adams Aberfeldy and a 79 Bullers vintage port ready. Neither are especially interesting, but my old rieslings are of questionable provenance and probably look better in the bottle than they'd taste from the glass...

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

Considering a 1998 Clos de Pape Chateauneuf du Pape, should be pretty interesting, good vintage.

As a back up, hmmm jury's out.
regards

Gavin Trott

Nayan

Post by Nayan »

David - shame you can't make it. But there will be more in the not too distant future.

Adrian - get in touch; we'll do a boozy Sunday lunch sometime

Everyone else - look forward to seeing you all tomorrow evening

Steve

Post by Steve »

The Aberfeldy is potentially trouble... the labels suggest it hasn't been well looked after.

If it's no good, I'll pull out a 96 Mitchell McNicol shiraz.