Merlot tasting

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
pstarr

Merlot

Post by pstarr »

This has been an active thread!

To my mind, the interesting question is why Australian producers haven't managed the kind of consistency with merlot that we have with other French varietals. Is it because of the focus on merlot as either a blending element or a drink-now soft-plum varietal?

What is it about St Emillion or Paulliac or the Gimblett Gravels or wherever that we don't match up to?

On the suggestions made, it seems Australian distribution of NZ merlot is very poor, though Kemeney's have a little.

For the wine wednesday session, as well as the earlier wines, I'm leaning towards the Petaluma 2001, the Dutschke Willowbend blend from 2001, Katnook's estate merlot from 2000 and something French I can get easily as my contribution. The latter is proving tricky, but the Gigault Cuvee Viva 2003 (Cotes de Blaye) or the La Fleur de Jague 2001 (St Emillion) are available.

Any other recommendations for French merlots/merlot dominants that are reasonably accessible?
Paul.

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

The Le Fleur de Jague 2001 is an OK wine. Svelte an quite nice but the 2000 is very good. If you email me I can probably slip you into a magnum of the 98 Le Fleur for a good price...I am going to get a couple myself. About $100 I think. Depends on how soon you need it.

The problem/excuse I most often hear in Au is that we have a poor Merlot clone.

GW

lantana

Post by lantana »

Gary W wrote:The problem/excuse I most often hear in Au is that we have a poor Merlot clone.

GW

And overcropping, is anyone trying to produce merlot from really low yielding sites, or won't the marketplace stand that sort of expense for merlot, like it can for shiraz and cab, even pinot noir for that matter, will sell from great low yielding sites, especially Central Otago pinot. What levels does Irvine crop at, for his Grand Merlot?

lantana

redwine

Post by redwine »

My favourite one is the Hare's Chase Merlot from Barossa Valley. Not sure if you can really get it in Australia though. One of the best value for money is the De Bortoli Willowglen Merlot. Here is Switzerland it costs about AUD 10.-- but in a recent Merlot tasting it has beaten wines which cost quite a lot more.

Cheers.

Nick

pstarr

Wild Duck Creek Reserve Estate Merlot

Post by pstarr »

This lineup for the merlothon next Wednesday is shaping up. Thanks for all the suggestions.

I can source a few different vintages of the Wild Duck Creek Reserve Estate Merlot - 1996, 2000 and 2001. Any suggestions on which might be the pick of the three?
Paul.

Nayan

Re: Wild Duck Creek Reserve Estate Merlot

Post by Nayan »

pstarr wrote:This lineup for the merlothon next Wednesday is shaping up. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Would love to hear how it goes. Please post notes.

Regards

Nayan

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Jagged a few '02 Gibson Barossa Valley Reserve Merlot from auction. Friend said it was good. Anyone know of this.

Chuck
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work

rednut

Post by rednut »

2002 Domain Wines Merlot

Vanillan oak, caramel lingering with lots of berry flavours. Lovely aftertaste although slightly soft on the palate. A nicely balanced wine

Started in the main street of Tanunda in 2004. Lovely atmosphere for a quiet drink on a Sunday arvo. Do yourself a favour when in Tanunda.

Domain Barossa is situated in the main street of Tanunda. The cellar door features a Parisian style zinc bar. The cellar door and courtyard are a great location to sample Domain Barossa’s fine wines.
"A woman drove me to drink, and I'll be a son of a gun but I never even wrote to thank her" WC Fields

adrputney

Post by adrputney »

[b]Crittenden Gepetto Merlot 04[/b] is very good, soft and smooth - around $15.