One Wine to Taste - Teusner 'The Riebke' Shiraz 2005

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Michael McNally

One Wine to Taste - Teusner 'The Riebke' Shiraz 2005

Post by Michael McNally »

Forumites

I thought I might try a new weekly/fortnightly "One Wine to Taste" thread where a wine is nominated for tasting that weekend, then those that wish to can source a bottle, and we can all compare notes. I suggested this to Gavin and he is happy for me to run with the idea.

This week I propose we try the Teusner 'The Riebke' Barossa Shiraz 2005. I have had my eye on it at my local (The Grape, Indooroopilly, Brisbane) for a while. It should be available for around the $20 mark.

I wasn't sure if the wine was widely available so I checked the website. A list of outlets that sell it is available at: http://www.teusner.com.au/sales.php
I rang the winery to see if the list was up to date (these things often aren't) and was told that it is pretty much so, but they would add a few outlets this afternoon or tonight. If people want to let others know where the wine is available as they find it, I think that's good too.

I would suggest that the people who participate in the discussion of this week's wine can select the next wine amongst themselves. I am normally a control freak :shock: , but that wouldn't work for something like this. Obviously the more readily available the wine (I don't seem to have followed this advice myself here :?: ), and the more reasonable the pricepoint, the more people will participate.

Happy to hear feedback about this idea.

Cheers

Michael

PS Before people ask, no, I have no connection with Teusner Wines whatsoever.
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

Hey

Sounds a great idea, comparing tasting notes and feedback about the wine.

Might even get our resident 'professionals' to join in, Campbell, Gary W, TORB etc?

I have mine and would be pleased to join in?

Who else?
regards

Gavin Trott

GRB

Post by GRB »

Damn, just posted my note from trying this wine last week. Oh well nothing like being ahead on homework :D :roll:
Winner of the inaugural RB cork-count competition
Runner up RB-NTDIR competition
Runner up TORB TN competition
Leave of absence second RB c-c competition

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

GRB wrote:Damn, just posted my note from trying this wine last week. Oh well nothing like being ahead on homework :D :roll:

Bonus marks to you!
regards

Gavin Trott

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

I reviewed it last week. Happy to contribute to next week etc
Do I post the note now? or later.
GW

Michael McNally

Hi Gary

Thanks for asking. Maybe later would be better :shock: ? If someone like your good self posts a note before we go out and get it, we might not go out and get it or it might skew people's opinions? I don't know. Really. If you want to post you are of course welcome to. It's a free (sort of) country :D . See I can not be a control freak when I really try.

Michael

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

Righto. Well I will taste it again and do another note. I have another bottle at the office. Had a bit of a snuffle with the last one anyway.
GW

scuzzii

Post by scuzzii »

I was lucky enough to buy 2 bottles of this wine from Gavin last week so count me in. I doubt I'll describe the wine as professionally as some others but happy to give my "Drink, Drank, Drunk" version.... :wink:
Regards,
John

You're dead a long time..

Steve

Post by Steve »

I'll try to hunt some down in the next few days :)

Finney

Post by Finney »

Hi All, I don't write complex notes, but am happy to contribute. It just so happens I have my 1st bottle open as we speak....

IMO.......I find the Oak and Fruit a little disjointed on the nose and some lifted alcohol. On the front and back palate I can get some complexity and some soft tannins happening, but a tad disjointed and some hollowness and lacks the overall complexity I was expecting.

I would suggest at the price range, the wine is near the mark. Can you get better value for money, YES. Can you get worse value for money, YES.

Would I buy more of this vintage and wine? Probably not!

Will I enjoy the others I bought? Yeah sure, wine is a journey that is to be experienced. They won't be being tipped down the sink like one bottled last night!!!!

Do we have a new rating system?

Regards

Finney (Craig)

tex0403

Post by tex0403 »

From what I understand you can't find the fruit and oak disjointed becaused unless it has changed in 05 it is an unoaked shiraz

Finney

Post by Finney »

If that is correct, I am :oops: but I am sure I could get oak on the nose.....? Can anyone clarify?

Grant

Post by Grant »

Riebke sees some old oak..... Joshua is the one that is un-oaked.

Cheers

Finney

Post by Finney »

Just to clarify and show I don't need to trade in my nose after all....."Fermentation was completed in tank and old oak of various ages. The finished wine then matures in these older barrels for around 12 months."

Regards

Finney

Michael McNally

Tasting the Riebke now. Probaby not the best time to taste, as I seem to have picked up a cold and I am exhausted after the emotional rollercoaster ride that was the 2-2 draw with Croatia. Still; tasting note from 1 hour ago:

Decanted 1 hour. Dark red/black. Nose of dried blackberry, black mulberry and a hint of charcoal (though either the nose is muted or I am not smelling very well :shock: ). Seems moderately oaky on the nose. Vanilla oak in the background is the first note I make. Juicy plummy dark fruit, nice acid balance and restrained tannin. Nice medium finish, mildly savoury. Honest straightforward wine. Very Good. QPR: medium.

Not sure if it is to be aged, but a year or two might be interesting. Looking forward to reading your thoughts

Michael

PS It is getting better in the glass. I rate it a bit more than an hour ago.

Gary W

Post by Gary W »

Teusner ‘The Riebke’ Ebenezer Shiraz 2005

It is cold and quite horrid at the moment in Sydney..and I am still shaking ‘the cold that won’t bugger off’ so what better wine to open than a big ripe sunny Barossa shiraz.

Vivid purple red. Fragrant, dark cherry, summer berry pudding with pleasant meaty coal dust overtones and the barest hint of creamy spicy oak. On the palate a lush wine packed with warm sweet dark fruit but not so sweet that it cloys (like many). It has an attractive meaty character as well. Throw in some fine powdery tannins that give shape but don’t dominate and you have a rather lovely mouthful of Barossa goodness. Powdery tannins close on a sweet and sour finish. A heartwarming and very satisfying drink.

Rated : 91 Points
Tasted : Jun06
Alcohol : 14.5%
Price : $20
Closure : Screwcap
Drink : 2006 - 2010

scuzzii

Post by scuzzii »

I tried this wine on Friday night (unaware) and Sunday night.

It was quite funny on Friday night, we went to a wine bar in Sydney called "deVine" and after our icon lunch earlier in the day were still "thirsty" for some quality wine. We'd had a few cleansing ales after the icon wines so we were sure we'd be OK for more wine (much to the disappointment of my wife calling every 30mins)..

The reason I was unaware of the wine on Friday night was because the menu listed it as Teusner "Ebenezer Rd" Shiraz. I had not tried any of the Teusner wines previously so thought I'd try it out. Of the 5 different wines we tried Friday night, it was the second best (all at $9-$11 a glass).

I love the wine bar concept, just not many of them around in Sydney that I'm aware of. deVine will be a frequent stop.

Opened the wine Sunday night and let it breathe for 1-2 hours in the boittle. After smelling it and checking the bottle I realised it was in fact the same wine as Friday night. Nice ripe berry nose and dark purple colour. I don't normally like them too ripe but this was very pleasant and not too sweet. It is a wine that I suspect is produced as a drink now wine as I thought it was quite forward and on the bigger side. I think in 3 years it will have settled nicely as very drinkable wine that fights above its weight. I reallly enjoyed the wine both times and would rate it as a close 8/10 and very good value for money. Look for it, it is worth it. The Riebke has forced its way into my top list for $20.

I will be getting a few more bottles from Gavin in the near future.
Regards,
John

You're dead a long time..

Michael McNally

scuzzii wrote:I think in 3 years it will have settled nicely as very drinkable wine that fights above its weight.

John

I concur. I tried the rest of the bottle the next night (Saturday), and it had held up better than I thought, still very sound. I would revise my "not sure if it is to be aged". Three years sounds about right.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Gavin, did you try it?