The legend you've always wanted to drink-Let's do this.

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Attila

The legend you've always wanted to drink-Let's do this.

Post by Attila »

What about a wine you've heard about, read about but never drunk? The dream bottle you've been wishing for but were not able to get and perhaps never will?

To start with me, I saw the KRUG Rosé NV at David Jones yesterday for $500 and I though I'd love to have it for Christmas with organic strawberries and barbecued prawns. (Looking at my current financial state it will not happen)

What is your dream bottle?

Post by Guest »

To many 2 choose from - Petrus + Romanee Conti (or Leroy Richebourg)are the two I most idolise to taste!

Barry

Peter H

Post by Peter H »

My dream bottle is a bottle of Chateau Latour.

I bought a bottle a couple of years ago after waiting over 20 years before I could afford/justify a bottle and it will be another 20 years before it is mature enough to drink... I could be setting myself up for one of the biggest disappointments of my life.

Peter.

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

Peter H wrote:My dream bottle is a bottle of Chateau Latour.

I bought a bottle a couple of years ago after waiting over 20 years before I could afford/justify a bottle and it will be another 20 years before it is mature enough to drink... I could be setting myself up for one of the biggest disappointments of my life.

Peter.

Hi Peter

I've achieved this one, a few years ago, 1970 Chateau Latour, a classic vintage and a wonderful wine that opened up continually over 6 hours.

Same night, second dream wine, the famous Peppermint Patty, (Mildara Cabernet) that actually held its own surprisingly well.

Love to try a good vintage of both Petrus, and D'Yquem though.
regards

Gavin Trott

Steve

Post by Steve »

Hi all,

I would say either the 1822 or 1893 Chateau d'Yquem (which you can still buy for more than $30,000 and $6,000 respectively).

Tried the 1983 Ch. d'Yquem (750ml) last Saturday. Lost for words - such a smooth wine (velvety).

Cheers,
Steve

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

For mine, a DRC from a great year.

ChrisH

Post by ChrisH »

Along Barry's train of thought, and adding the word "mature".

A La Tache and a Petrus from a good year at the peak of their maturity.

regards
Chris

Adam

Post by Adam »

I would love to try the 1961 Latour a Pomerol....apparently an absolute freak wine from a normally average estate...shame is thousands upon thousands of dollars now. :cry:

George Krashos

Post by George Krashos »

Mine would have to be the supposedly unmistakeable 1945 Chateau Mouton Rotschild or (for an Aussie slant) the 1955 Wynns Micheal Hermitage.

-- George Krashos

Guest.....guessed?

Dream wines

Post by Guest.....guessed? »

How about Henri Jayer 1978 Richebourg?

Drank the '61 first growths with Palmer as well and the Latour was unquestionably a firty year wine.....just to reach it's drinking plateau....seriously. Got a feeling 1990 may be the same. Palmer '61 is one of the sexiest wines I've encountered.

Although Barolet wines from the 1930 have been stunning.

There are many great wines/bottles but always endeavour to share them with wonderful, understanding people....great wine doesn't taste as great as it should when consumed with wankers.

And any d'Yquem from a good+ year, even as recent as 1990, is sublime. More subtle than is often expected when under 20 years old.

How about Craiglee 1872, or Yeringberg 1900?

All the best.

MartinC

Post by MartinC »

WDC Duck Muck, Greenook Creek R.R Shiraz & 3Rivers.
MC

<i>"If our life on earth is so short, why not live every day as if it were our last. This is the path to happiness and spiritual enlightenment"
Omar Khayyam 1048 -1122</b>

SueNZ

Re: The legend you've always wanted to drink-Let's do this.

Post by SueNZ »

Attila wrote:To start with me, I saw the KRUG Rosé NV at David Jones yesterday for $500 and I though I'd love to have it for Christmas with organic strawberries and barbecued prawns.

I've never had Krug of any flavour and seeing that Dom Perignon Rose 1992 was one of the most delicious bubblies that I've ever enjoyed - sublime with strawberries by the way - I'd love to join you in that bottle of Krug. Do they do vintage Rosé as well?

I'd also like to try one of the great Bordeaux first growths from one of the most hyped years. Was it '61 or '63?

Others include the La la La's.

Cheers,
Sue

Adam

Post by Adam »

Sue,

Krugs Rose is MV (Multi vintage...wa#ker way of saying NV). They dont do a vintage rose.

FWIW I havent tried it but I have not heard good things about Krugs Rose. Im going to a Krug dinner next friday where they are serving the Vintage 1990, 1988, 1982, MV Rose and MV (No Krug Collection or Close de Mesnil unfortunately)...I will let you know how the rose is!

Most hyped vintage in Bordeaux?? 45 and 47 must come close.

Cheers, Adam

Kieran

Post by Kieran »

Chateau D'Yquem from a good year. (I haven't done my research on what constitutes a good year, since they're all out of my price range).

On a more mundane level, maybe Chambers Rare Tokay.

Kieran

bacchaebabe

Post by bacchaebabe »

For a single choice it would have to be a '67 D'Yquem but those 1800 vintages also sound very tempting. I've had a '66 and it was amazing but '67 is supposed to be a classic.

Would have loved a '63 Grange for my recent birthday but these things don't always work out unfortunately. :roll: Had to be content with a couple of '63 VPs and wouldn't mind having as many more of them that come my way.

Can't wait to try my Malcolms when the time is right and a 45 Cheval Blanc isn't supposed to be too bad either. :wink:
Cheers,
Kris

There's a fine wine between pleasure and pain
(Stolen from the graffiti in the ladies loos at Pegasus Bay winery)

Paul T

Post by Paul T »

Being a pinot freak..a DRC from a great year or for the aussie slant the best vintage og Bass Phillip Reserve Pinot noir.....would not complain with either.

Cheers

Paul

kenzo

yum yum yum

Post by kenzo »

I'd love to try:

From Oz:
- Woodley Treasure Chest series - and keep the bottles/labels for display!
- A selection of wines made by Preece, O'Shea, etc - well any of those great makers of the 40's and 50's. I'm sure others can list more.
- 1955 Michael
- 1963 Peppermint Patty
- A Grange from the 50's, or failing this, a taste of the '71.
- 1872 Craiglee shiraz - my birth year + 100!
- another bottle of the first fortified that Trevor Jones put out, with the av. age of material at 50yrs - the one that got 100 Arpy points. Had it once and it was delicious!
- some Seppelt 100yo fortified.
- 1990 HoG (had the 1996, and would love to try a more mature example)
- A full lineup of the Rares from Rutherglen
- 1972 Seppelt Show Reserve Sparkling Burgundy (my birth year).
- 1987 LEAS chardonnay (have it lined up for Christmas!)
- 1991 Wynns Centenary - tried and enjoyed
- 1982 John Riddoch - tried and loved

From OS:
- 1947 Cheval Blanc
- 1961 Ch Latour
- 1972 DRC RC
- 1982 Petrus
- any pre-phylox 1st Growth
- 1961 La La's (obviously not La Turque - the '85 will suffice!)
- 1978 JL Chave Hermitage
- early 1970's Stag's Leap Cask 23 (the one that put it to the Bordelais)
- 1989 Beaucastel Hommage a JP
- 1985 Sassicaia
- any top notch Barolo over 20yrs age - an '85 Monprivato in 2 yrs time would do!
- any decent TBA from '76 or earlier
- any Henri Jayer '78 or '85
- Any Quinta do Noval Nacional oporto from the 1930s

etc etc etc - if extremely wealthy one could have a lot of fun with this list!

Cheers,

S.

Phil Shorten

Best ever

Post by Phil Shorten »

They would have to include......

- DRC from a good year at its peak (#1 choice)
- 1st Growth from a good year at its peak
- Cheval Blanc from a good year at its peak
- Petrus from a good year at its peak
- d'Yquem from a good year at its peak (got half a bottle stashed so that's one down)!
- Salon at its peak
- Hermitage La Chapelle from a good year at its peak (stashed and sorted)
- JL Chave Hermitage from a good year at its peak
- Ch Rayas from a good year at its peak

Would also throw in old Madeiras and Tawny Ports!

Way I look at it, you only live once, so bugger the expense!

Cheers
Phil

SueNZ

Post by SueNZ »

Adam wrote:Sue,

Krugs Rose is MV (Multi vintage...wa#ker way of saying NV). They dont do a vintage rose.

FWIW I havent tried it but I have not heard good things about Krugs Rose. Im going to a Krug dinner next friday where they are serving the Vintage 1990, 1988, 1982, MV Rose and MV (No Krug Collection or Close de Mesnil unfortunately)...I will let you know how the rose is!

Most hyped vintage in Bordeaux?? 45 and 47 must come close.

Cheers, Adam

Adam,

MV, huh? That's an interesting twist on NV.
I'll look forward to your report. Have a great time and let those bubbles do fantastic things to your mouth.
People say they get quite heady on bubbles, I think it is because as well as the alcohol, it's the explosion of CO2 in your mouth that adds to the sensory effect.

Cheers,
Sue

Guest in a bag

Post by Guest in a bag »

Multi vintage sounds like a smarter way of saying non vintage. After all, why say that something is NOT something when you can say it IS something? And most Champagne is multi vintage.....more Champagne is multi-vintage than vintage.

78 Chave is a brilliant wine. 82 Petrus too. There are so many great wines. James Halliday makes a habit of drinking them all and publishing to make us realise how unfortunate we all are!

But it's like climbing the mountain....great to see the view from the top with all that knowledge and perspective but where do you go? And wasn't the joy of the journey up the most exhilerating aspect of it all anyway?

daz

Post by daz »

1968 Chateau Tahbilk Special Bin 51 Cabernet Sauvignon

simm

Post by simm »

daz wrote:1968 Chateau Tahbilk Special Bin 51 Cabernet Sauvignon

Hi daz,
Now for me that's looking a little more realistic, along with the Michael 55. I haven't tried any of the untouchables so I can't follow the lead :cry: Peppermint Patty I could look into but I don't think it would be a dream wine (no idea really).

Will have to think longer on this one....

best,
simm.

"I ain't drunk! I' still drinkin' !!"

GraemeG

Post by GraemeG »

simm wrote:Peppermint Patty I could look into but I don't think it would be a dream wine (no idea really).
best,

Well, I'm too honest for my own good. 18 months ago I was helping clearing out the cellar of a friend of a friend (his father had died, & he was looking for wine-savvy folk to help). Well, the cellar had the Mildara Cab Sav from 63 (two), 66 (three), 67 (three). All three wine labels looked identical. The levels in the 63 were perfect - the later 2 wines not so good. We were usually opening one each of every low-fill bottle we could find (I posted about 60 TNs on the old forum).

Well, we opened a high shoulder 67 and 66. The 67 was gone, the 66 was still drinkable, with allowances! BUT, I said, as we got them all out - "This 63, in good condition like this - it's worth $300. But the 66 &67 would struggle to $75." Which was prety well true. But I just couldn't bring myself to cheat and encourage the opening of a mint condition 63 on the grounds that I wanted to taste it, and no one else quite knew the value of it...

As for my dream wines - same as everyone elses, as it turns out. Oh, except no-one's mentioned my classic birth-year wine yet - the 64 Latour.

cheers,
Graeme

PaulSheldon

Post by PaulSheldon »

Chateau Lafitte-Rothschild, Paulliac - from a classic vintage. I saw a poster of an open bottle of this sitting on a very old wooden table in a dusty cellar, next to a glass with some of the wine sitting in it. It captured my imagination.

On the more realistic level, the 86 Grange, which I am hoping to try next Friday night at Friends in Perth, if they still offer it by the glass. Can't quite butter up for a whole bottle with Christmas so close :-)
Paul

michel

Post by michel »

PaulSheldon wrote:
On the more realistic level, the 86 Grange, which I am hoping to try next Friday night at Friends in Perth, if they still offer it by the glass. Can't quite butter up for a whole bottle with Christmas so close :-)

Paul
If you try it post a vibe as it is the only Grange I own and I want to open it for a special occasion. This is the vintage that Penfold says the corks are generally crap. Check out the cork it you can.
thanks
michel
International Chambertin Day 16th May

Noel B

Post by Noel B »

Michel,

Are you trying trying to scare me by drinking my two dozen of 86 Grange?

The last time Penfolds Clinic inspected my Granges, there is nothing wrong with the corks. My only concern is the 76 Grange which are not 'Clinic-ed'

Christmas Grange mini vertical includes: 60, 63, 71, 76, 78, 79, 83, 86, 90, 91, 93, 94, 96, 97, 98. (50 guests - my contribution 6 bottles of 86 Grange)

Cheers,
Noel

michel

Post by michel »

Noel B wrote:Michel,

Are you trying trying to scare me by drinking my two dozen of 86 Grange?

Noel

I kid you not.
Winefront Monthly and someone else told me that Duval said 86 corks were bad. I am happy to be corrected.
I only have two bottles but was considering taking them to the next clinic and asking for recorking as Duval has been reported in the media as saying they are bad.
I would love to know how you fare.
all the best
michel

Noel B

Post by Noel B »

Michel,

Thanks for the advise. I'll contribute the 6 bottles of 86 Grange to our Christmas dinner and send the rest to the auction houses next year.

Cheers,
Noel

Popov

Post by Popov »

Michel,

Not that I have any '86 Grange unfortunately, but I have also heard the same.
Cheers
Popov

michel

Post by michel »

Noel B wrote:Michel,

Thanks for the advise. I'll contribute the 6 bottles of 86 Grange to our Christmas dinner and send the rest to the auction houses next year.

Cheers,
Noel

No NO NO
Noel
I said the corks are dodgy but not the wine
I would assess the wines regularly and look how they drink this weekend.
dont rush Noel
cheers
michel