If I moved to SA could I still follow the Swans? My SA trip

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
scuzzii

If I moved to SA could I still follow the Swans? My SA trip

Post by scuzzii »

Howdy,

Just arrived back in Sydney from a loonnnnnggg weekend in SA. What a great place to visit (and I suspect live). Ended up buying 3 cases of wine and I tried almost all of the wines on offer at each winery (much to the frustration of our tour operator...)

Day 1 Barossa (McLaren Vale write up tomorrow)

Penfolds was our 1st stop. Private tasting tour where a wine educator took us through the Penfolds complex. It is gigantic. I can't remember all of the figures he threw at us but I'm sure the Bureau of Statistics want some of them back. We stood in one of the barrel sheds and it holds 1000's of Barrells of wine. As far as the eye can see its barrells and more barrells. Impressive winery. We tasted some of the wines in a private room which was nice but I just can't get excited about Penfolds wines. They stopped at St Henri (sighe). They do put their money where their mouth is though and I'm sure we need big players like Penfolds representing Aussie Wines. 6/10

Next stop was Keasler. We had lunch there and I'm not sure if it was the theme of the day but i had the biggest Venison shank I've ever seen. I could not finish it. Nice restaurant which had a nice fire going. Then we rolled along the path to the cellar door. Was impressed with the Bogan, Stonehorse was good but not great and I think the Cab Sauv was between good and very good. Purchased the Bogan and 2 Cab Sauv's. Old Bastard was not on offer for tasting. 8/10

Torbreck was next. A great list of wines and great staff behind the counter. Nice fresh cellar door and a welcoming feel compared to Penfolds and Keasler as all wines were on offer for tasting. Loved them all, even my wife purchased a bottle of "Steading" which is saying something about their reds (very much a White drinker). As much as I tried (and I insisted on trying the Runrig and Descendant a few times :lol: ) I couldn't pick the difference (except price). I can't recommend visiting Torbreck enough. Very friendly and generous. I even purchased a "Wine Dogs" book (in memory of Teal who was the vineyard dog). As you can guess, I left there in a good mood. I had never met Teal... :P 9.5/10

Rockford soon changed that. Rockford was one of 2 wineries I was really looking forward to visiting (Kaesler was the other). Staff were almost rude and a very limited tasting range on offer (I can accept that wine runs out). Couldn't taste Basket Press and only had Magnums on offer for purchase (which I purchased). Before I get bombarded with people defending Rockfords, can I say I was disappointed in that I know I missed out on tasting some great wine in the Basket Press and it had been known for a few weeks there was none left (the Tour Operator didn't even know they were now open on Sundays!!). The lady who was "serving" us was more interested in talking to her sister and brother-in-law. Not once did she tell us anything about the wines.. 4/10

And then there was Charles Melton.. Disappointment gone, great service and great wines. Loved the Father-in-Law, loved the Rose of Virginia and in my view the Cabernet is their best.. Met the cats (at that stage I was asking the cats when their book was coming out..). Great log fire and great conversation with the staff. I liked the fact you could also order a full glass of the wine. I did try the Cabernet a few times and was very tempted to order a full glass but the tour operator was clock watching and wanted to get us to Kies. 9/10 (more subjective than objective I'd say). Not big but good at what they do and they enjoy people coming and trying their wines.

Kies was our last stop. I'm sure they cringed when we got inside and saw my big Barossa smile that had been building all day (read dark teeth and red wine stained smile). It was 4.59pm and they let us in. Tried all of their wines and some fortifieds (the frozen fortified is a must). They then offered to ship the wines we'd collected throughout the day with the ones we purchased from them and then we had a coffee to end the day. Great senes of humour and great service. Loved the Monkey Nut Merlot and their $25 Shiraz (can't recall the name but will know when my wine arrives...). 8.5/10

Loved the Barossa and had a great time. Will be back.
Regards,
John

You're dead a long time..

Kieran

Post by Kieran »

Well, I live in Sydney but follow the Crows, so I guess it could be tried in reverse. I don't see many games though.

Kieran
"In the wine of life, some of us are destined to be cork sniffers." - Dilbert

wineguy

...another Swans supporter

Post by wineguy »

Seems that you are more annoyed with Rockford because you couldnt get Basket Press than anything else, but you managed to get some anyway, lucky bugger. My friend was up there on Sunday too, she said it was pretty busy but got good service. I think you're being a bit harsh, dont you?
"Life's too short to drink bad wine."

Davo

Post by Davo »

Small hint

If you want the best from CDs do not go as part of a tour group.

Always have had excellent service at Rockfords, but service can certainly be variable anywhere, but it often depends on how you present to CD staff. Mind you the CD staff can also have an off day.

scuzzii

Re: ...another Swans supporter

Post by scuzzii »

wineguy wrote:Seems that you are more annoyed with Rockford because you couldnt get Basket Press than anything else, but you managed to get some anyway, lucky bugger. My friend was up there on Sunday too, she said it was pretty busy but got good service. I think you're being a bit harsh, dont you?

Might be a bit harsh but as I said, the lady never spoke to us except to ask us what wine we were up to. Anyway, I'm sure the wine will do all the talking.
Regards,
John

scuzzii

Post by scuzzii »

Davo wrote:Small hint

If you want the best from CDs do not go as part of a tour group.

Always have had excellent service at Rockfords, but service can certainly be variable anywhere, but it often depends on how you present to CD staff. Mind you the CD staff can also have an off day.

The tour was my wife and I and a driver...
Regards,
John

Post by 707 »

Well of course Adelaide is the best place to live, we tour all the wine regions regularly, just ho hum for us!!!

Of course you can live here AND barrack for the Swans, I've done those two things all my life, I just wish I could see the Swans live more often ...... maybe when I PERMANENTLY retire I'll spend some time each winter in Sydney just to see the reigning premiers in action more often.

There is of course nothing better than beating the Adelaide Cows or Poor Powa at Footy Park here in Adelaide when you're one of only a few hundred in the crowd barracking for the Swans, sheer joy.

Cheers, Steve
Cheers - Steve
If you can see through it, it's not worth drinking!

Davo

Post by Davo »

scuzzii wrote:
The tour was my wife and I and a driver...

Then perhaps you should have made that clear in your initial post.

Jordan

Post by Jordan »

thanks for the notes scuzzii. Sounds like a good selection of wineries, what vintage rockford BP shiraz magnum was available?
Premierships and great wine... that is what life is all about

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

707 wrote:Well of course Adelaide is the best place to live, we tour all the wine regions regularly, just ho hum for us!!!

Of course you can live here AND barrack for the Swans, I've done those two things all my life, I just wish I could see the Swans live more often ...... maybe when I PERMANENTLY retire I'll spend some time each winter in Sydney just to see the reigning premiers in action more often.

There is of course nothing better than beating the Adelaide Cows or Poor Powa at Footy Park here in Adelaide when you're one of only a few hundred in the crowd barracking for the Swans, sheer joy.

Cheers, Steve

He's back.....

..... for now anyway! :D

Cheers,
Ian
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.

wineguy

Post by wineguy »

wineguy wrote:
Seems that you are more annoyed with Rockford because you couldnt get Basket Press than anything else, but you managed to get some anyway, lucky bugger. My friend was up there on Sunday too, she said it was pretty busy but got good service. I think you're being a bit harsh, dont you?

Might be a bit harsh but as I said, the lady never spoke to us except to ask us what wine we were up to. Anyway, I'm sure the wine will do all the talking.

I used to work in CD's in Tassie and some CD staff make a judgement call about whether a customer wants the full spiel or just to be left to themselves, you can usually get the vibe early on. I guess this poor woman copped your wrath for making the wrong call. You should also know that in my experience on this and other boards Rockford has its finger on the pulse and will have read this by now I reckon. I think if you had a genuine complaint about the service you should talk to the winery concenred, its very easy to make an anonymous complaint on an interent forum where they have no chance to reply. As I said in my first reply sounds like you lashed out at staff becuase you couldnt get BP Shiraz.
"Life's too short to drink bad wine."

Davo

Post by Davo »

My only problem with Rockford is that I have never made it on to the witing list for the junior mailing list let alone the junior mailing list let alone the Stonewallers.

Oh well, I guess I will just have to continue my annual trip iver from Perth to order my supplies.

Good excuse for a long weekend in paradise anyway.

GRB

Post by GRB »

Will have to wait and see, but I emailed Rockford asking to be put on the mailer, and they sent a reply a few days later saying the current list for sale is on the way and if I put in an order I will be put on the mailer. Sure enough the letter turned up a couple of days later and there are a few good looking wines at reasonable prices. No BP or Black but I will probably grab a 6 pack at least and maybe a dozen of what is on offer. Was told I would be put on the standard list if I purchased, guess I just have to wait it out to be a Stonewaller. So far great service and I can understand if they limit the sale of the icon wines to regular customers, regular buyers deserve it. The wines they are offering are at very reasonable prices so no complaints.

Glen
Winner of the inaugural RB cork-count competition
Runner up RB-NTDIR competition
Runner up TORB TN competition
Leave of absence second RB c-c competition

scuzzii

Post by scuzzii »

Jordan wrote:thanks for the notes scuzzii. Sounds like a good selection of wineries, what vintage rockford BP shiraz magnum was available?

Hi mate,

2001 vintage.
Regards,
John

scuzzii

Post by scuzzii »

I guess this poor woman copped your wrath for making the wrong call...

.... As I said in my first reply sounds like you lashed out at staff becuase you couldnt get BP Shiraz.[/quote]

Could I pls clear the air here. Yes I was disappointed with not tasting BP but to be honest I would have got over that as I purchased some anyway... However, not sure the lady received my wrath. I never complained on the day and did not say anything to the person invovled. I was just expecting a good experience as Rockfords was one of two wineries I went to SA to visit. I can understand people wanting to defend Rockfords and I can appreciate people have an off day. I just found it suprising she was talking to her sister and brother in law when I assumed she was serving us. I would have bought far more if I had been treated OK.

Anyway, I left with a magnum of BP, 2 Cab Sauv's and 1 Rod and Spur. Looking forward to drinking them.

Having the magnum over a lunch this week with 2 work colleagues. Can't wait.

This isn't a personal attack, it is just my notes on the experience I had. No doubt my experience is out of the norm.
Regards,
John

Jordan

Post by Jordan »

scuzzii wrote:
Jordan wrote:thanks for the notes scuzzii. Sounds like a good selection of wineries, what vintage rockford BP shiraz magnum was available?

Hi mate,

2001 vintage.

thanks. looking forward to the 2002 BP magnum release.
Premierships and great wine... that is what life is all about

griff

Post by griff »

Don't worry about those guys. They are just Jealous!
:twisted:

Curious in how your McLaren Vale trip went :)
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

roughred

Post by roughred »

Yeah I must add there have been some pretty tedious replies to this.

Well done for going to the trouble to write down your unabridged thoughts. I didn't read anything unfair to Rockford, just an appraisal of a Cellar Door experience - not exactly lashing out as someone suggested.

Look forward to your thoughts on the wines.

LL