SWR: Wolfmother and Chevillon

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Aussie John

SWR: Wolfmother and Chevillon

Post by Aussie John »

For all you 40's-something out there who loved Led Zepplin, Cream, Jethro Tull and the like- here is the modern answer to your prayers. Just when I was convinced that the Artic Monkeys had produced the most impressive debut album I have seen, along comes Wolfmother with their absolute mother of a debut. Classic 60's-70's rock and roll riffs, heart pounding bass and drum work, and wonderful touches like the use of the Jethro Tull inspired flute. A magnificent album from start to finish, do yourself a favour and go check it out.

Lucky enough to sit in front of the fire, turn up the volume, and crack a bottle of 2002 Robert Chevillon Nuits St Georges Les St Georges

Sure, this is infanticide, but what a beautiful baby to kill!! All lush, primary fruit, in the red fruit spectrum, minerals, pinot sap, anise and a touch of lavender. Amazing volumes of sweet, but not confected, fruit that soak up the ripe tannins and vanillan oak, the faintest touches of which can be discerned with great concentration. Full on the palate, but retains amazing agility and freshness- no dead grapes here. Wonderful length, unfortunately the bottle disappeared all too quickly with a youthful and very lively goat's cheese.
This is what great Burgundy is all about. On the "new-World" side of the Cote d'Or spectrum, Chevillon's wines would be the perfect introduction to Burgundy for any Aussie Pinophile.
Drink:2010-2025.................................96pts

Baby Chickpea

Post by Baby Chickpea »

Saw them at the Big Day Out earlier this year and they were fantastic! Doing a tour mid year as well I believe.

The Chevillon sounds really good - he has obviously toned down the obvious oak influence from a few years ago.
Danny

The voyage of discovery lies not in finding new landscapes but in having new eyes. We must never be afraid to go too far, for success lies just beyond - Marcel Proust

dlo

Post by dlo »

Baby Chickpea wrote:Saw them at the Big Day Out earlier this year and they were fantastic! Doing a tour mid year as well I believe.

The Chevillon sounds really good - he has obviously toned down the obvious oak influence from a few years ago.

:? ..... always thought Chevillon got the balance pretty well right, Danny ..... these (1er's, particularly St. George, Vaucrains and Cailles) are wines to be laid down for 10 years minimum and (from the better vintages) hold for another decade at least.
Cheers,

David

Aussie John

Post by Aussie John »

Yea Danny...they are fantastic. Mid-year tour only to Sydney :( , so us Melbournites miss out again!!!

Grant

Post by Grant »

While we are into NWR stuff.... Wolfmother absolutely kick ass, but I also saw Hilltop Hoods at the Blues Fest over Easter and they were fantastic...what a show, just electric and heaps of fun, Aussie hip hop with a real identity.... and don't the punters love them!

Other highlights were the Black Keys, Sigur Ros and India Arie.

And the crowd yells, "Its a swan"! :D

Gotta love live music.

Cheers

Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Grant wrote:While we are into NWR stuff.... Wolfmother absolutely kick ass, but I also saw Hilltop Hoods at the Blues Fest over Easter and they were fantastic...what a show, just electric and heaps of fun, Aussie hip hop with a real identity.... and don't the punters love them!

Other highlights were the Black Keys, Sigur Ros and India Arie.

And the crowd yells, "Its a swan"! :D

Gotta love live music.

Cheers

Good taste Grant!!

One of my great new year's eve was had at Falls Festivall with the Black Keys playing the crowd into the new year! the night before, the hoods played the "1 am party set"... great hearing 15,000 yelling "its a swan" at 1:30 am.

Daryl Douglas

Re: SWR: Wolfmother and Chevillon

Post by Daryl Douglas »

Aussie John wrote:For all you 40's-something out there who loved Led Zepplin, Cream, Jethro Tull and the like- here is the modern answer to your prayers. Just when I was convinced that the Artic Monkeys had produced the most impressive debut album I have seen, along comes Wolfmother with their absolute mother of a debut. Classic 60's-70's rock and roll riffs, heart pounding bass and drum work, and wonderful touches like the use of the Jethro Tull inspired flute. A magnificent album from start to finish, do yourself a favour and go check it out.

Whippersnappers!! :evil: Try 50+things!! :lol:

Ya pressed a few buttons here mate. These NWR threads are often quite informative. I'll have to check out these genus lupi.

Led Zepp - II, III, IV, Houses; best overall is III with nary a weak song on the album but plenty of awesome songs on the others. Cream - Live, Best Of, Disraeli Gears - Best Of a great compilation. Jethro Tull - just can't go past Aqualung, brilliant. :roll: Uriah Heep really were forgettable, huh?

Bit late for the above but now you've got me in the mood for music I'm gonna spin my Rodriguez At His Best compilation CD, quietly - EFF'N NEIGHBOURS!!

Stonehaven Hidden Sea cab 00 will have to do as the accompanient.

Cheers

daz

Baby Chickpea

Re: SWR: Wolfmother and Chevillon

Post by Baby Chickpea »

Daryl Douglas wrote:
:roll: Uriah Heep really were forgettable, huh?

Cheers

daz

No way! had some good songs --> eg. Pilgrim is a masterpiece

Spent many a night listening to my brother's LP of Sweet Freedom, Demons & Wizards, and Magician's Birthday.
Danny

The voyage of discovery lies not in finding new landscapes but in having new eyes. We must never be afraid to go too far, for success lies just beyond - Marcel Proust

Aussie John

Post by Aussie John »

While were at it... gotta LOVE Xavier Rudd... he is the Aussie Cat Stevens of this millnium. His latest album, Food in the Belly is also an absolute ripper, not a weak track to be seen. Saw him live a couple of weeks ago- sensational.... his promotion of indigenous culture and rights is to be greatly admired.

Listened to it with a bottle of 1982 Poujeaux, a classic Bordeaux at its peak- all silky, medium weight and great intensity and length. Cigar box and cassis, cedar and spice. Wonderful. A drink-now proposition, this wine is a great example of why we spend all the time, money and effort digging holes in the ground or converting perfectly good basements just to hide bottles and cases of wine for decades on end.