Barossa eateries whilst doing tastings

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
scuzzii

Barossa eateries whilst doing tastings

Post by scuzzii »

Hi Folks,

My wife and I will be heading to Adelaide for the June long w'end. Day 1 is a tour of Barossa and Day 2 is Adelaide Hills and McLaren Vale.

Looking for suggestions on nice lunch eateries. Some advice has been to eat at Peter Lehman or Kaesler (as we will be visiting there for tastings).

Any views on these two and suggestions on other spots?

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
John

You're dead a long time..

Andrew Jordan

Post by Andrew Jordan »

rooview wrote:d'Arrys Verandah is at d'Arenberg winery which I'm sure will be one of your stops. Need to book ahead for both. d'Arry's has a wonderful view over the Vales.

Agree with Adrian on d'Arry's Verandah. A must stop for lunch in McClaren Vale and make sure you take your camera with you!
Cheers
AJ

Cabernet is ... and will always be ... KING!

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

I second the Star of Greece recommendation in McLaren. Only 10 minutes from the Vale. The view is superb, the food also (moderately exy).
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

Lunch At Coriole has been rewarding for us too, although its been a couple of years now.

AB

tex0403

Post by tex0403 »

Peter Lehmanns do an excellent ploughmans lunch which they call the weighbridge platter, great local fresh produce. Dried friuts almonds, apex bakery bread, great condiments and linkes meats.
Kabminye also do a great lunch and also produce an excellent well priced shiraz 'the hubert'. It is on krondorf road up past rockford and meltons on the right.
If you want cafe style food Cafe Blonde is your place to go it is located in angaston.
bar vinum is also recommended but is better for dinner as is peppers at the hermitage.

DaveB

Post by DaveB »

Barossa: Bar Vinum is excellent...as is Kaesler

McLaren Vale: Russels Pizza, The Victory Hotel, The Salopian Inn (is Pip still there though??)

scuzzii

Post by scuzzii »

Thanks everyone. Plenty to consider. Somehow I don't think I can go wrong. Can't wait to get there. 75% of my cellar is SA..

Going to d'Arenberg, Wirra Wirra and Maxwell wineries in McLAren Vale (2nd day). Also on 2nd day, in Adelaide Hills, Hahndorf hill winery and Bridewater Mill and the german pub. Hopefully we can get to taste some of the great cheeses up there.

Day 1 is Penfold (private tasting room), Peter Lehmann, Rockford, Kaesler, and maybe some of these Two Hands, Grant Burge, Kies, Veritas.

Will be a special time and our tour operator has been very patient with me trying to decide wineries.... :roll:
Regards,
John

You're dead a long time..

tex0403

Post by tex0403 »

I would definitely recommend two hands great cellar door.