Request: TN Thomas Hardy 1999

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
St. Henri

Request: TN Thomas Hardy 1999

Post by St. Henri »

Just recieved a bottle of this. It says the on the label the fruit was sourced from the Magaret River. Since this is my favourite region for cab/sav and 1999 was an excepional year. I was hoping has any one tried this wine and how does it stack up to the other premium wines in that region ie. cullen, moss wood etc.
Thanks in advance :P
Henri
"People are afraid that they do not know how to taste. They prefer to lean on rules. With rules you don't have to think; you don't have to taste. You just have to follow the rules - and they will destroy you every time.

Steve

Post by Steve »

St. Henri,

Gees, a SINGLE bottle?! Any serious wino would tell you a minimum of three bottles is the norm. Unless this is a questionable bottle.

Why don't you crack open the bottle and post the TN. Remember to decant because it is still very young.

Still got 24 bottles of the 1996 Thomas Hardy Cab Sauv (Coonawarra) lying in the cellar. Probably try one before Christmas.

If Hardys are getting grapes from MR for the 2001 Thomas, I will be stocking up say five dozens :lol:

Cheers,
Steve

Tom A

Post by Tom A »

St Henri,

I tried the 1999 Thomas Hardy a few months back, it was classic MR cabernet, that earthy dark blackcurrants,mulberries and cedar combined with a classy oak handling. I recall it being (what these days seems) low alcohol (13.5%???). The tannins were not forceful but all class, with a good lingering finish. It was in a tasting hosted by Bill Hardy up against the likes of the 1999 Jack Mann and 1999 Eileen Shiraz, 2000 Reynell and 2000 E&E. It may not be as long a keeper as the Jack Mann but for me it was my wine of the night.

As for the Cullen Vs Moss Wood Vs Thomas Hardy, well what a dinner that would be!! Does not have the opulence and richness of the 1999 Moss Wood, and certainly lacks the fineness and tightness of the 1999 Cullen, probably falls stylistically between the two. I would want to avoid making the choice between them. In the short-medium term the Moss Wood is stunning and will remain the crowd pleaser (the 14.5% alc does concern me even though I haven't noticed it when drinking it), however I'm guessing that with some long term cellaring the Cullen's may come out on top. Either way, as a parachial West Australian :wink: , their all fantastic drinks.
Enjoy the bottle,
cheers
TA

St. Henri

Post by St. Henri »

Thanks Tom for those great notes. It seems the wine is just as I hoped and stellar MR cab/sav. As far as the Moss Wood, Cullen, Thomas,Jack Mann match up, well I'm sure i'll do that in the futre with those wines which I have in the cellar. :lol:
Cheers
Henri
"People are afraid that they do not know how to taste. They prefer to lean on rules. With rules you don't have to think; you don't have to taste. You just have to follow the rules - and they will destroy you every time.

Davo

Post by Davo »

Perhaps you should throw a Gralyn Cab Sauv into the mix, as I believe that is where the grapes were sourced, and it is not exactly a shrinking violet of a wine either.