It's that time of the week again...

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
TORB

It's that time of the week again...

Post by TORB »

Hi Good Peoples,
Tiime to your weekly drinking reports.

The Tatachilla 1998 Shiraz that I had over two nights during the week is drinking really well and won't get any better, although it should last for a while.

The Classic McLaren2001 Latesta Cabernet that I tried last night was not quite as good as expected. Whilst it was a good wine, it was not up to the standard of the previous bottle I had tried. After it had been open for about four hours and I had been scratching my head wondering if it was in a hole or not, I detect a little oxidisation that should not have been there, so it looks like the dreaded cok has struck again. Whilst there was nothing wrong with it, indeed, most people would think it was a lovely wine, I knew it should taste better, and that's the insidious thing about corks.

On Thursday I opened a Sevenhill 2001 Shiraz. What a waste, the wine was far more useful than expectedand I have extended its potential drinking window for another couple of years.

Now what have you good guys and girls went up to?
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Hi all,

Haven't been drinking much serious wine lately with plenty of excellent cleanskins being the main focus. With the markets awash it's our duty to reduce the stockpile. So go for quantity!!

However did try the 2000 Murdoch Cabernet at lunch friday. First bottle was corked and the second had little time to open and served a little warm but the potential was there. Quintisential Coonawarra cabernet at its best. I'll leave mine in the cellar for a while yet although am concerned about the corks. I would be happy with all wines to be non cork although a recent article suggested higher quality reds are better under cork.
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

1997 Petaluma Tiers Chardonnay - not normally a chardy fan, but this is a good drop. Lashings of peach, honey and toast. Decent length and not falling apart yet.

2003 Chateau du Tertre (Margaux) - loads of mulberry and violet on the nose with fairly ripe fruit on the palate. It'll be interesting to track the longevity of these 03 Bordeaux.

2001 Wynns Cabernet (Black Label) - a little greener and more herbaceous than the last bottle

1995 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne - unfortunately corked, but on a big positive, they're going to replace it with the just released 96.

1996 Cos d'Estournel - big mistake. This was closed and way too young to drink. After a few hours, coffee and cedar on the nose, but the palate remained tight and tannic. Look again in 5 years time.

Serge Birbrair

2003 Chateau Talbot, Bordeaux

Post by Serge Birbrair »

One of the best young Talbots I had. $35 well spent.Perfumy Bordeaux, that was new to me. '03 vintage has plenty of pleasant surprises.

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

A long boozy Saturday afternoon BBQ with a bunch of guys celebrating an impending (second time around) wedding with the groom while the ladies did afternoon tea at the Hyatt before rejoining us to have some real food (gourmet sausages and red wine). There were several other bottles of red and even a couple of white drinkers, these were the highlights:

Penfolds Bin 707 1990, still powerful and quite youthful, but seemed a little disjointed, probably in it's shell a bit at the moment before the final leg to maturity. Oak didn't stand out though, looks like the fruit will last the distance.

Cofield Sparkling Shiraz NV (crown seal): A nice reliable drop, with a bit of older material in there, fairly lean and finishes clean with just the right amount of fruit sweetness.

Peter Lehmann 8 Songs 1998: Yummy rich Barossa shiraz, smooth as silk, long finish, about at it's peak drinking for my tastes, but may improve a little yet and will hold for years.

Bleasdale Frank Potts Cabernet blend 1998: This was better a year or two ago I think, the formerly rich fruit is starting to fade slightly and the acid sticks out a bit, probably a drink soon proposition based on this bottle.

Di Fabio Estate MclarenVale Bush Vine Shiraz 1996 (a CellarMasters brand): A good example of what CM used to be able to produce for $15 delivered, this one is still warmly rich and vibrant under the mature overtones, definitely drink now, may hold for a while yet.

Leasingham Classic Clare Cabernet 1996: Good varietal definition, looks like this one is starting to come into it's drinking window too, nice drop, but I prefer the richer fully mature shiraz from 96.

Wolf Blass Brown Label Shiraz 96: Another $15 wine at release that has made the 10 years with ease. Fully mature now, the oak has receded back into the wine and the fruit has triumphed, far too easy to drink late in the afternoon.
Cheers
Brian
Life's too short to drink white wine and red wine is better for you too! :-)

Raymond W

Post by Raymond W »

I have not posted for a while because of work and moving to a new flat closer to the train station in Seta. Now, I am only 20 minutes from Kyoto Station.

Anyway, below are the wines that I have had over the last two weeks.

Domaine Chandon de Brialles Savigny-les-Beaune 1er Cru Les Lavieres 1996 (cork)

Initial nose of stale oak with some forest floor and cherries. After an hour, it opened up more and the oak had morphed into something a little nicer, but there was still a hint of some stale oak in the nose. Sour cherries and herbs with a reasonably long finish. This wine was not as silky as a Simon Bize Savigny-les-Beaune 1er Cru Les Serpentieres (sp?) 1994 that I had over Christmas. However, since I have just moved to a new flat, I cannot find the TN that I took of the Simon Bize wine, but just from memory, it was a very elegant and silky wine with a lovely nose that had me glued to the glass.

Turkey Flat Grenache 2003 (screwcap)

Some blueberry and lollypop-like aromas with a hint of something that smelt almost like a Sao cracker. A hint of sweetness on the finish.

Domaine Des Espiers Cotes du Rhone 2003 (cork)

Purple. 70% Grenache and 30% Syrah. Initial nose of Pinot-like farmyard pong with some oak showing. There was some dark fruit in the background, but it was the farmyard and oak that dominated the initial nose. There was a hint of liquorice and bitterness on the finish. After an hour, some sour cherries on the palate. There are ample tannins to suggest that this wine can do with a few more years of cellaring. Maybe, I should get another one and cellar it for a few years and see if it gets better. For my personal tastes, I think I would pay an extra 1,000yen or A$11 and get the Torbreck Steading 2002

Cullen Diana Madeline 2002 (screwcap)

I didnÂ’t take any notes for this as I took this to a French restaurant in Kyoto last Friday. I know that I was committing infanticide with this wine, so asked the waitress to decant the wine. It was very closed at first, and only started to show its wares of leafy tobacco, plum, and blackcurrants after three hoursÂ…just when we were leaving. It is a lovely perfumed wine that just evolved and evolved. If this is from a weaker vintage, I wonder what the 2001 will be like in 10 years. I donÂ’t have the wine-tasting experience and know-how to do this wine justice or to describe it proper, so will revisit the other bottles of 2001 and 2002 left in my cellar in 5 to 10 years when I am more experienced and worthy.

Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc (screwcap)

A very nice SB with everything in the right place. A lovely intense aromatic nose. Just loved it.

Cheers,

Raymond

GRB

Post by GRB »

Hewiston L'Oizeau 2001 Shiraz Reasonable wine from a tough vintage, showed some of the stressed fruit characters that I have seen in other 01 SA reds but not as bad as some. Improved a little on the second night.

Seppelts Chalambar 1999 Order a glass of this at a restaurant with lunch on Friday. When it arrived it felt warm to the tough :x , and did not show well due to this. When the waiter enquired about our meal I mentioned that the wine was quite warm. He didn't seem concerned by the fact and stated that it was just room temp and there was nothing they could do about it :shock: :x :x . Needless to say I won't be hurrying back to Bel Paese.

Fox Creek Pethick Rd Shiraz 2002 Cellarmasters only label I think, nice drop with good complexity and nice berry fruit and choc on the palate. Definately good for cellarmasters but true to form I don't think it is built for the long term. Good crowd pleasing BBQ wine though.

Marius Shiraz 2003 Lovely stuff, blue and black berry's on the nose with some spices and oak influence as well. Lovely smooth palate, with berrys, choc and some of the spice from the nose following through. Doesn't have a huge amount of tannins so I don't think it will be a 10 year plus proposition but I think it still has room to improve over the next 5 or so. Glad I have some tucked away to find out.

Glen
Winner of the inaugural RB cork-count competition
Runner up RB-NTDIR competition
Runner up TORB TN competition
Leave of absence second RB c-c competition

simm

Post by simm »

01 Wolf Blass Langhorne Creek Cabernet - Excellent dense ruby glossiness, but if anyone was wondering where all the Huon Pine went, it's here, all of it, in this bottle. After the 01 Shiraz showed more controlled oak use than previous vintages I thought to give the Cabernet a go. I simply wasn't prepared. This variety just doesn't devour oak in the same way Barossa Shiraz can. The combined front of American oak and Langhorne Creek fruit means your tastebuds really do go for a walk amongst the gun trees. But you slowly become acclimatised - or is that resignation - and there behind that trunk, ah ha! Berries, small and black and blue. You take a break on a sand stone outcrop, open up a bitter chocolate energy bar, dig your fingers into a patch of loam and begin to think of things other than heartburn. 87/100 'it is what it is' W.B. points.

02 Pegasus Bay Pinot Noir - After 2 hrs this thing really steps right up into the ring and isn't waiting for the bell. It floats like a butterfly and dominates by degree with dense red and black cherry, exotic spices, bitter undergrowth and just plain sexiness. You're too afraid to take more than a sip... at first. Then the monsoon coffee beans, bold fruits, and carob put the sap in its place just next to the hedge-row oak that underpins the whole design of it. 93/100. And works very well with Danish Salami. BOING!

03 Vintage Cellars GSM - Attractive barnyardy nuance disappears all too soon, but leaves an earthy, this side of sump aroma. There are hints of coriander seed underneath the busty, peppery fruit, and the body is neither thin nor really silky. It somehow handles the 14 alc. 86/100 and a steal for $10/btl
simm.

"I ain't drunk! I' still drinkin' !!"

andyc

Post by andyc »

Domaine des Aubusieres Demi-Sec 1999
This is such a classy drop. Honey, nutty and with the acid just so perfect. I bought this as part of Ultimo's frozen container back in 2001. I really admire them for levelling with their customers and charging about a third of full retail on this shipment (insurance I presume took care of the rest). Anyway this the fifth bottle and everyone of these and various red Burg's have been superb.

Brokenwood Semillon 2000
This had turned a bit broad for me.

St huberts Pinot Noir 2003
Maybe too warm here in Melb at the moment to taste but this tasted of nothing (to quote from my sis in law - quite the foodie when presented with a summner pudding on Xmas day).

Cumulus Climbing Cab Sav 2003
A nice cab from Orange that has good blackcurrant flavours and nicely judged oak. Accompanies food, doesn't dominate (a good thing)

Andrew Jordan

Post by Andrew Jordan »

2003 Schwarz Shiraz Nitschke Block
A deep, dark very serious Barossa shiraz. Aromas of ripe dark berries and plums, this wine straight away packs a punch and gives your palate a real work out. Mouth coating and very full-bodied, this concentrated wine seriously delivers with flavours of chocolate and dark fruit. Well balanced, smoooth with fabulous length ... definitely a stand out from the 2003 vintage. Still a babe and will only get better with some bottle age. A little heat on the finish but none-the-less a pleseant surprise. Get some in your cellar if you can still find it!

2001 Howard Park Cabernet Sauvignon Scotsdale
Very enjoyable WA cabernet. Decantered for 3 hours prior to consumption. Lots of black fruit, blackcurrant and spice on the nose and palate mixed with flavours of well handled French oak. Very smooth and drinking very well now with a medium to long finish of fine, silky tannins. A very elegant, very classy wine from a great vintage. You will not be unhappy with this wine! Glad I have a few more of these in the cellar. Drink over the next 3-6 years with confidence.

2005 Kanta Riesling
Originally had this at a off-line with Gavin in Adelaide last year. Was impressed then but having the opportunity to drink a bottle over some good Thai food cemented that fact that a Red Bigot can enjoy a white... now and again. :shock: This is a great drop and I don't even like Aussie Riesling!

Had the following at a BBQ at a mates place while playing cards and talking about the forth-coming Aussie Rules season:

1991 Seppelt Show Sparkling Shiraz - Great example of aged sparkling red. Lots of gamey, complex characteristics but very enjoyable and disappeared as soon as it was opened. No sign of the Brett Monster here!

N.V. Elderton Shiraz Ashmead Family Reserve - Not as complexed as the Show, but still very nice. A blend of three vintages of Command (1994, 1996 and 1997 but don't quote me). Lots of upfront fruit, more than the show, and a bit sweeter as well. Could still do with a few years of cellar time to gain some complexity but drinking very well now if you like that upfront sweet fruit flavour.

1996 Peter Lehmann Bacl Queen Sparkling Shiraz - As posted before a favourite and held it's head high even with the previous 2 wines. Very enjoyable.

2002 Kalleske Greenock Creek Shiraz - Had a bottle of this a couple of months back and this bottle was similar to that one. Still my WOTY so far! Absolutely mind-blowing stuff.

2001 Rockford Basket Press Shiraz - drunk way too early but the host was insistent on opening it and hey ... I wasn't going to complain. Still a youngin' but definitely has potential there to be a great BP in the future. Went well with the BBQ lamb.
Cheers
AJ

Cabernet is ... and will always be ... KING!

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

Apart from Blacktongues duties for the first red tasting of the year (notes to come) and a sample of something I'm forbidden to talk about yet, there were these:

1998 Brands Laira Vineyard Coonawarra Cabernet Merlot: While the fill level was into the neck and there was no sign of seepage during storage, the wine had stained one side to the cork suggesting this could be an advanced bottle - there’s no crusting. Dark (to almost inky red) with a pink/violet rim. Lifted mint, coal, and later buttery herbs and cedar, very much like the 1991 straight Cabernet. The palate featured medium weight but persistent and ripe cassis/raspberry fruit shot with dried herbs and spice, finishing with a tingly/minty finish and a hint of coal. While this bottle may be slightly advanced I’d say drink now while the fruit’s still there and before that 14% alcohol takes control.

Like an old dog with a bone he won’t let go of, I revisited the controversial Quartage – previous tastings were just after the Adelaide Wine Show results from a batch under cork that may (or may not) have been destined for overseas markets.

n4sir wrote:2004 Thorn Clarke Shorfire Quartage: Dark to inky red/purple. Very primary herbal/blueberry Cabernet fruit that’s been lavishly oaked, at first spicy, then creamy, nutty and finally sweet with cloves. Like the nose it’s the spicy French oak that takes the lead on the mid-weight palate – if there’s any fruit it’s well in the background. It’s amazing that a wine with no real fruit, depth, complexity or length on the palate could be so highly regarded at the Adelaide Wine Show – surely the wine that they awarded three trophies to (four if you include the Winemaker) couldn’t have been this ordinary?

This latest bottle was from the newest batch, under screwcap and with the four trophy stickers on the right side of the label.

2004 Thorn Clarke Shotfire Ridge Quartage (Screwcap): Dark to (almost) inky purple with a bright violet rim. At first this smelled extremely yeasty, much like a fermenting must of freshly crushed grapes and yeast, and this took a good decant and some time to blow off. After this it was the familiar malty blueberry scents, pleasant enough but simple, and after a lot of breathing blueberry/blackcurrant with just a dash of black cherry, iodine and licorice. The medium weight palate opened with syrupy/jammy blueberry fruit & spicy oak and a hint of black olive, before dropping away to leave a massive, Kenworth-sized hole mid-palate – the “other” varieties aren’t showing a sign of filling this void. There’s a secondary wave of jammy fruit but the finish of the wine is very dry, with the fine tannins and that 14.5% alcohol just sticking out on the finish with breathing. Another worrying aspect of the wine was the slightly metallic finish, which like the jammy aspects and heat intensified with time. The final verdict was that while this bottle wasn’t as bland as the other batch I still have my reservations; what I’ve tried has been quaffable but far from outstanding.

Cheers
Ian
Last edited by n4sir on Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

02 Leasingham Bin 61 Clare Shiraz
Dark, with some purple in there. Nose of dark berries with a touch of vanilla. Palate follows through with the dark berries, plum and dusty vanilla tannin. Only medium weight and medium length, but yummy all the same. 85-86.

NV (2004 Disgorge) St Hallet 'The Black' Sparkling Shiraz
Dark, dark. Hint of raisin/sultana on the nose. Dark cherry fruit with ample sweetness (dateloaf?). Finish medium to long. Not overly tannic. Scrumptious with the roast pumpkin, caramelised onion and fetta parcels I made last night :D . 89?

PS GRB - Concur about the Marius Shiraz. Brilliant stuff.
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

griff

Post by griff »

We took the excuse of some rain recently in Sydney to open a couple of VPs this week. After a year in the UK I am kind of missing the cool temperatures.

1994 Duff Gordon VP (Oporto): Owned by Osbourne so not a totally unheard of Port. Picked it up in New York for a GREAT price of $19 US. Quite a ripe tasting Portuguese VP. Savoury cherry/plum on the nose with hint of Liquorice. Carries though on the palate with good balance between sweet, savoury and spirit. Intense finish that lasts and lasts. Overall a charming port that was great value at the price but definately not up there with the great port houses though.

1994 Oak Barrel (wineshop in Sydney) cleanskin shiraz VP (barossa): Slightly cloudy purple-red colour. Has an australian style porty nose (I don't know how else to describe this - sweet fruit that is boosted with alcohol but has none of the savoury characters of the above). Very sweet blood plum palate with chocolate sauce. Like dessert in a glass! Too sweet but value at $13.99.

cheers
Bartenders are supposed to have people skills. Or was it people are supposed to have bartending skills?

DaveL

Post by DaveL »

When I'm not at work, or lurking here, I coach highschool athletics (track specifically). This weekend has been the state championships and my kids ran very well, taking 7 Gold, 4 Silver and 5 Bronze Medals - real medals ;)

To celebrate we went to 9nine, a Japanese fusion restaurant in Northbridge (corner of Lake and Bulwer for the locals). Sat down to a four course Omkase and a 1995 Pewsey Vale The Contours Reisling. God bless the good ship Stelvin and all those who sail her. Took about half an hour to open up and then gave us the lime, honey, and spice I want in a Reisling with some age. Went beautifully with the food.

I had a very interesting conversation with the owner who told me he want to change the place into a sort of byo wine bar. Maintaining a very reasonable $3 per head corkage and changing the menu to Entree's (and Sushi/Sashimi platters) only. To encourage people to bring their favourite wines and pick a few small dishes to match their selection. If this goes ahead I'll be eating there a whole lot more!
Ground control to Major Tom, take your protein pills and put your helmet on.

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

98 Henschke Mt Edelstone- I found a cooler serving temperature helped mute the brett . Nice wine but what could have been?

Chatsfield Mt Barker Shiraz 01- Nice wine. Nothing overdone. Smokey blackberry, plums and oak. Soft, slightly burnt blackfruits in a mid weight package. Pulls together well.

Craiglee Cabernet Sauvignon 1997- Freak Sunbury cabernet. It blows the superb shiraz from the same year, out of the water. Only 200 cases made- and I have one of them!

Leasingham Classic Clare Cabernet Sauvignon 1997- A lesson in how bad, new and overdone oak, ages with a vintage below par.

Melton Nine Popes 1997- Needs some air to bring out polished, meaty, confectionary notes. Simple flavour profiles, helped along with Japanese food. High acids accentuate raspy grenache like fruit tannin & flavour persistance. Not at all bad.

Turkey Flat 98 Butcher's Block- Funky cherry-berry with some pinot like gaminess. Pinot like fruit flavours and complexity, a hint of oak and tannins resolved. Great fun wine. Remnants fell apart on day 2- drink up.

Veritas Christa Rolf Shiraz 2000- American export. A delightful quaffer and of considerable, unexpected quality.

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

GRB wrote:Seppelts Chalambar 1999 Order a glass of this at a restaurant with lunch on Friday. When it arrived it felt warm to the tough :x , and did not show well due to this. When the waiter enquired about our meal I mentioned that the wine was quite warm. He didn't seem concerned by the fact and stated that it was just room temp and there was nothing they could do about it :shock: :x :x . Needless to say I won't be hurrying back to Bel Paese.

Glen
I've had this before with a bottle of Oddero Barolo. We had amazing patience to explain to the waitress why we wanted an ice-bucket. This must be one of the few "wine truths" that everyone knows "Red wine should be served at room temperature". However they seem to think this means whatever the temperature of room currently is - or for some restaurants, the temperature of the kitchen.

It's getting to the point now, where I'll only drink wine when the restaurant has at least a passing interest in the subject. At least they can't cook bottled water, which is becoming a regular alternative.

Ian

parb

Post by parb »

Bowen Estate Shiraz 2001- heaps of bottle stink, that blew off after 30mins. May have been a little oxidised, with that 'sherry' like taste underneath it. Just not as good as I thought It should be
Wynns black Label Cab 2001 - very nice
Penfolds Bin389 1997 - drinking very well, should have decanted, but still great with BBQ rib fillet.
Morris Durif 1994 - very plush and rich. Smooth and balanced. A great end of meal drop.

GRB

Post by GRB »

Ian S wrote:
GRB wrote:Seppelts Chalambar 1999 Order a glass of this at a restaurant with lunch on Friday. When it arrived it felt warm to the tough :x , and did not show well due to this. When the waiter enquired about our meal I mentioned that the wine was quite warm. He didn't seem concerned by the fact and stated that it was just room temp and there was nothing they could do about it :shock: :x :x . Needless to say I won't be hurrying back to Bel Paese.

Glen
I've had this before with a bottle of Oddero Barolo. We had amazing patience to explain to the waitress why we wanted an ice-bucket. This must be one of the few "wine truths" that everyone knows "Red wine should be served at room temperature". However they seem to think this means whatever the temperature of room currently is - or for some restaurants, the temperature of the kitchen.

It's getting to the point now, where I'll only drink wine when the restaurant has at least a passing interest in the subject. At least they can't cook bottled water, which is becoming a regular alternative.

Ian

Well here is the rub, they had a very good wine list with several vintages of Grange and St Henri, as well as many other wines of this quality. I saw them decant a St Henri for another table while I was there.

Problem as I see it is that they are paying lip service to being a wine restaurant as most of the wines are in a pretty wooden rack that is under bright lights right in front of everyone that walks into the place. It is not airconditioned as far as I can tell, as they had all the doors open. The wine was warmer than the already warm room temp and my guess is that had it sitting on a shelf above the stove or something like that.

Glen (voting with my feet)
Winner of the inaugural RB cork-count competition
Runner up RB-NTDIR competition
Runner up TORB TN competition
Leave of absence second RB c-c competition

prester john

Post by prester john »

Mike Hawkins wrote:1995 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne - unfortunately corked, but on a big positive, they're going to replace it with the just released 96.

Mike, needless to say, this is a spectacular champagne and vintage. On the one hand I'm sorry to hear it was corked, but on the other hand I'm glad to hear it will be replaced. Can you suggest or advise whether the 1996 is at least close to the stellar 1995? Despite 1996 being a widely-acknowledge fine vintage, my initial guess would that 1996 would be not quite on a par with the 1995 vintage (for this champagne house only).

Best,

PJ.

grahamg

Post by grahamg »

Voyager Estate Cabernet Sauvignon Merlot 02
The first night I found this very herbacious and the tannins were agressive and stuck out a bit. I didn't really like it. The second night it was much better, the tannins were softer and nice lighter fruits came to the front.

Cape Mentelle Cabernet Sauvignon 01
Had this is December and really loved it. But something was wrong with this one. Closed at first and never really showed much. At the end it really fell apart and had something like a tariness and the finish was bitter and drying. Had this along side the second day Voyager and the Voyager was way better. What's worse than a faulty bottle of wine? Not being skilled enough to recognise it till you're half way through drinking it. :evil:

Elvispga

Post by Elvispga »

Dinner at Ecco in Brisbane was superb with great service and food.

Laurent Perrier Champagne 1996 I loved this. Started out with a big wack of citrus especially green apple. After a little while in the glass it settled down and was a beautifully balanced wine. Could have gone on drinking it all night.

Cloudy Bay Pelorus NV (I think NV) This was quite a change up from the Laurent. It seemed like the fruit was too overpowering. Not my style I guess.

Fermoy Estate Cabenet Sauvignon 1999 This was a little ripper. Beautiful dark plum and cassis fruit. Tannins were very balanced and it was drinking well. Wish I had some left as this was my last bottle.

d'Arenberg Laughing Magpie Shiraz Viogner 2001 This was a brute. Very dark inky purple. A subtle floral nose with plenty of dark fruit. However, it seemed to resist opening up. Even after and hour decant and 45 minutes swirling around in the glass. Tannins were still very pronounced which I was surprised about.

We served the Laughing Magpie at our wedding a week ago and it was well received. (Our reception was at the Shores Restaurant at The Spit in Sydney. Exceptional service and food if you're in the Wedding Reception market.)

We also served;

Seppelt Original Sparkling Shiraz 2002 I loved this and must buy some more.

Chandon Brut NV Didn't get to try this on the night, however my Wife (geez that is strange to type) said it was quaffable!

Madfish Chardonnay 2004 I'm not a big Chardy fan but this seemed ok.

Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc 2005 We almost ran out of this. Beautiful stuff.

Clos Piere Pinot Noir 2005 A nice Yarra Valley Pinot.

Phew. It was a great day but boy did it go quickly. Glad it is all over now.

Cheers
Elvis

Max

Post by Max »

DaveL wrote:To celebrate we went to 9nine, a Japanese fusion restaurant in Northbridge (corner of Lake and Bulwer for the locals). Sat down to a four course Omkase and a 1995 Pewsey Vale The Contours Reisling. God bless the good ship Stelvin and all those who sail her. Took about half an hour to open up and then gave us the lime, honey, and spice I want in a Reisling with some age. Went beautifully with the food.

So the food was bang on then? Marie and I have been meaning to try this place out for ages - your post has ushered me to get a move on!

Any other Perth people had experiences with this 9Nine? Is corkage payed on the bottle or per person?

cheers
Max
www.yum.org.au
food, drink and life in western australia

DaveL

Post by DaveL »

Hey Max. The food was very good, though having eaten there a fair few times (living in North Perth makes it just so convenient) I was really looking forward to trying some dishes that aren't on the menu.

We started with Sashimi Tuna that had been marinated in chilli oil, served with diced sashimi tuna mixed with diced avocado and tapanade and fresh buckwheat noodles. Then roasted vegetables stuffed into a bean curd skin, topped with cheese and grilled, served with a white miso sauce. Next up was sliced duck and seared scallops again with a miso sauce, I'm a real sucker for the contrast of salty freshness with the rich earthy duck flavours. We finished with a whole tempura soft shell crab, stacked on top of a piece of tataki tuna, and mashed kumara. Topped with spicey barbeque sauce and caviar infused with chilli oil.

Corkage was $3 per head, and they'll even allow byo boutique beers on request!

I think I recall you being familiar with Tsunami in Mosman Park, well the head chef and owner of 9nine was the original head chef for Tsunami! I really enjoy his mediterranian take on Japanese fusion, compared with the French/Japanese fusion you get at Tsunami.
Ground control to Major Tom, take your protein pills and put your helmet on.

Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Laurent Perrier NV Champagne: a bit sweet for me
Primo Estate Joseph Sparkling Red NV:Opulent, liquer of dark fruits, real depth of flavour. 89/100
1998 Leeuwin Estate Art Series Riesling: simple with candied fuit and little acid. Almost tasted like a bland desert wine. 83/100
2001 Leeuwin Estate Art Series Chardonay: Excellent chardonay with peach, nuttiness, slight citrus notes and long acid finish.Wow. 93/100
2001 Mongeard- Mugneret Vosne Romanee: Real sappy/twiginess, hints of forrest floor, fruit slightly fading but quite complex without any wow factor. Probably a year too late. I dont get Burgundy. 86/100
Houghton Gladstone Cab Sav: only had a brief taste and it showed enough for me to e uspet about missing out :( Very nice cab sav
1999 Penfolds RWT Shiraz: This could be one of the best Barossa Shiraz I have had the fortune of trying recentley. This wine had everything I love in Barossan Shiraz: bold fruit, elegance and complexity. Great spectrum of blackberry And dark plum flavours with spice, chocolate and leather lurking in the shadows. French oak and powdery tannins frame a wine which can only get better with time in the cellar. But drinking soooo well now. 96/100
2002 De Bortoli Noble One:as good as usual.90/100
Premierships and great wine... that is what life is all about

Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Opened a bottle of the 1996 Lindemans Museum Release St George Cabernet Sauvignon and boy was I surprised. Beautifully balanced with fruit and tannin's intergrating perfectly.
With the last few releases of St George (and also Limestone and Pyrus) not really impressing this was a welcolme surprise.

Cheers
Anthony
Good wine ruins the purse; bad wine ruins the stomach
Spanish saying

bacchaebabe

Post by bacchaebabe »

Pick of the week last week was a 99 Wild Duck Creek Springflat Shiraz. Nice dark colour still with no signs of bricking at all. Huge fruity nose and explosive on the palate. Blueberries, plums, little bit of anise but the overall impression was bucketloads of flavour. Mt friend commented that "This shits all over anything else that dares to put shiraz on the label". Quite a recommendation from someone that loves their wine but hasn't really had much opportunity to get right into it but knows what she likes. Very good stuff drinking very well indeed. Distinction.
Cheers,
Kris

There's a fine wine between pleasure and pain
(Stolen from the graffiti in the ladies loos at Pegasus Bay winery)

Max

Post by Max »

Had the chance to look at a few wines this week, got stuck into the Penfolds Bin wines last week and really liked the 311, 407 and 128.

Tasted some pretty smart white wines at my regular Monday and Tuesday tastings. Some detailed tasting notes and some impressions, culled from different places!

2005 Villa Maria Cellar Selection Savuignon Blanc Lively, pure intense and tight palate full of varietal vegetative flavours, magnificent succulence and intensity.

2005 Catalina Sounds Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc New one to me from NZ - any one have any details? Lovely bright tropical fruit nose, juicy and full tropical fruits on palate with a nice passionfruit tinge. Long tart finish of impressive length!

2005 Kim Crawford Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc Tight, long and zippy palate filled with more tropical fruit characters. Fruit-driven and relatively simple, but hard to fault as a drink to be enjoyed now.

2004 Stefano Libiano Sauvignon Blanc Fragrant, floral nose. Touches of almost-caramel characters in the mouth accompany delicious juicy tropical fruits that fade into succulent green bean on finish. Lovely mouthfeel

2005 Ata Rangi Sauvignon Blanc Hailing straight out of Martinborough comes this beautiful wine from a producer better known for its benchmark pinot noir. The seduction begins with this wine’s intoxicating nose of fragrant garden aromas, moving deliciously from lavender to basil and a half-dozen different scents in between. The basil character shines through in the mouth, and together with classically ripe sauv blanc tropical fruit flavours, makes for an elegant, balanced and juicy wine that’s ideally suited to the basil and coriander flavours favoured by Thai cuisine. Just how popular is this savvy sauv blanc? According to the winery’s website, they’ve already sold all their stock of this wine – obviously Ata Rangi’s customers and cellar door visitors are all blessed with impeccable taste.

I'll post some red wine impressions a little later...
www.yum.org.au
food, drink and life in western australia

Baby Chickpea

Post by Baby Chickpea »

bacchaebabe wrote:Pick of the week last week was a 99 Wild Duck Creek Springflat Shiraz. Nice dark colour still with no signs of bricking at all. Huge fruity nose and explosive on the palate. Blueberries, plums, little bit of anise but the overall impression was bucketloads of flavour. Mt friend commented that "This shits all over anything else that dares to put shiraz on the label". Quite a recommendation from someone that loves their wine but hasn't really had much opportunity to get right into it but knows what she likes. Very good stuff drinking very well indeed. Distinction.

I love this wine Kris! :D Just so fruity, with lovely oak and tannin on the margins. Will last well. But so delicious now. Lovely strcuture too. The 2005's are supposed to be his best ever (out in May)! For $30 odd bucks, great value too.
Danny

The voyage of discovery lies not in finding new landscapes but in having new eyes. We must never be afraid to go too far, for success lies just beyond - Marcel Proust

bacchaebabe

Post by bacchaebabe »

Hey Danny, yeah, it really was very good. Like a slap in the face - an enjoyable one if that's possible but just so full of flavour.

Looking forward to the new releases and very glad they've moved their release time to May out of the peak hour of November. Hoping to get a slightly wider range offered to me this year - there seems to be good stocks - my standing order only has the Springflat, the Alan's cabernet (also tried recently and a stunner) and the Blend.

Been ordering since the 99 release but only just started drinking some of them and it's all been good so far.

I doubt I'll be offered the duck muck yet but would definitely like to try the reserve shiraz. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Cheers,
Kris

There's a fine wine between pleasure and pain
(Stolen from the graffiti in the ladies loos at Pegasus Bay winery)

Baby Chickpea

Post by Baby Chickpea »

bacchaebabe wrote:Hey Danny, yeah, it really was very good. Like a slap in the face - an enjoyable one if that's possible but just so full of flavour.

Looking forward to the new releases and very glad they've moved their release time to May out of the peak hour of November. Hoping to get a slightly wider range offered to me this year - there seems to be good stocks - my standing order only has the Springflat, the Alan's cabernet (also tried recently and a stunner) and the Blend.

Been ordering since the 99 release but only just started drinking some of them and it's all been good so far.

I doubt I'll be offered the duck muck yet but would definitely like to try the reserve shiraz. Keeping my fingers crossed.

The other wines are a step up in concentration: Shiraz Pressings, Shiraz Reserve, Reserve Cabernet, Reserve Merlot (never seen a straight merlot though????), Sparkling Duck and Duck Muck!
Danny

The voyage of discovery lies not in finding new landscapes but in having new eyes. We must never be afraid to go too far, for success lies just beyond - Marcel Proust