TN: 2004 GODOLPHIN by Ben Glaetzer - Barossa Valley

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Attila

TN: 2004 GODOLPHIN by Ben Glaetzer - Barossa Valley

Post by Attila »

2004 GODOLPHIN by Ben Glaetzer - Barossa Valley

I decided to write about this wine because, in a way, it’s PERFECT. Parker already gave the high points of 96-98 and calls this blend “nearly perfect”. He is right on the money, except I think this wine IS perfect. The fruit purity is astonishing. A First Growth Bordeaux Chateau would be happy to claim this wine their own, should it be a mainly Cabernet blend.

This wine is in fact, as confirmed by Ben Glaetzer, a blend of 70% Shiraz picked from over 100 years old vines and 30% Cabernet Sauvignon picked from over 60 years old vines. The blend matured for 15 months in high quality French oak. Bottled unfiltered, the alcohol is at 15% vol.

The label depicting the Egyptian Ankh symbol of “Renewal” while the name Godolphin suggests “Success”.

Colour vibrant fresh and dark with purple centre. Beautifully scented nose of blackberries, blueberries and plum. Sensational, seamless palate of absolutely decadent richness. Seductive and pure velvety Shiraz flavours mixing with delicious and spicy black cherry Cabernet. Silky vanilla oak, ripe tannins and fine acid keeping the perfect balance. OhÂ…itÂ’s so good.
The fruit concentration is quite unbelievable and the charm of this wine is irresistible. Only one year old but open one and drink it anyway. ItÂ’s delicious already and for some reason the high alcohol doesnÂ’t stick out at all. This is the first vintage of the Godolphin and (ex-TyrrellÂ’s winemaker) Ben Glaetzer has done a fantastic job! This wine sells for AU $65 or US $65 in the States where I believe itÂ’s marketed as Amon Ra Godolphin. Worth the money either way.

I must still mention though that I am not certain about its ageing capabilities. There is a 10 year life span for sure but I think it will peak in 2008 in the sense that the fruit richness will probably peak, then start to slowly fade. I donÂ’t recommend too long cellaring because if you loose the baby fat and charm then it wonÂ’t be the same wine as it is now.

The only thing this wine lacks is individual “terroir” distinction but one thing is for sure, it’s an obvious and great Barossa. I always look for spiritual inspiration when I taste and although this wine is perfect, it is like some top Wolf Blass wines; they are impeccable but something spiritual is still missing, if you know what I mean. God’s hand does not shine through here either but it is man made perfection, like the Taj Mahal.

ItÂ’s made such way that it will impress the beginner and the experienced alike and it is drinking already and will do so for many years to come.

Cheers,
Attila

Tasted: December 2005
"(Wine) information is only as valuable as its source" DB

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

Attila,

Thanks for the extensive review of this wine, I agree with everything you say.

This is a technically perfect wine that still retains great interest despite what you describe as perhaps lacking a spiritual element, it's pristine but not clinical.

This is one of the few wines this year that I bought more (despite a price jump due to Parker rating) after tasting it, I love it now and will probably drink it steadily over the next 5 years, maybe leave one or two longer to see what happens with more age.

A great modern example of the classic Austrailan Shiraz-Cabernet blend.
Cheers
Brian
Life's too short to drink white wine and red wine is better for you too! :-)

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

Atilla,

Thanks for the notes. Unfortunately my dozen are slumbering in Sydney. I'd love to be able to get at them ! I think you'll find at release it was much cheaper - I recall paying about AUD40.

As for the US marketing and price, you are correct.

Cheers

Mike

Baby Chickpea

Post by Baby Chickpea »

Attila, also had this on weekend and was impressed. Here is my TN just posted on Parker board (waiting for Adait to get his act together on Auswine for his review of the dinner and wines!):

2004 Ben Glaetzer Godolphin Unfiltered Shiraz Cabernet (Barossa Valley)
15%. The “wine-of-the-moment” here in Australia and all sold out. One smell of this and I guessed it outright. Opulent nose of rich liquorice, jubes, pastilles. No sign of alcohol. Palate is very rich in blackcurrants, with some acidity and tannin that provides structure (that I find rare in these lush high alcohol wines). Classy wine. Excellent wine. I liked it alot. Not sure it will improve much but who cares – this is hedonism. Now, who’s gonna sell me a couple of bottles?
91/100
Danny

The voyage of discovery lies not in finding new landscapes but in having new eyes. We must never be afraid to go too far, for success lies just beyond - Marcel Proust

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

Baby Chickpea wrote:The “wine-of-the-moment” here in Australia and all sold out. ... Now, who’s gonna sell me a couple of bottles?

Sorry Danny, I'm hanging on to mine. There is 1 6-pack on Langtons Exchange for $65, no buyers commission until 31 January.

This is one I took a punt on when I first saw it back in mid-September, it featured a few times on the RBG page during that month, ranging from $39.99 upwards before the Parker points were released.
Cheers
Brian
Life's too short to drink white wine and red wine is better for you too! :-)

Baby Chickpea

Post by Baby Chickpea »

Thanks Brian. Unless I can get it from some of the forum miscreants :wink: , I actually wouldn't mind paying $65 for 2-3 bottles of this if I have to! Real lusty wine :wink:

Oh Brian (or anyone), is the Amon Ra similar or a step up in weight?
Danny

The voyage of discovery lies not in finding new landscapes but in having new eyes. We must never be afraid to go too far, for success lies just beyond - Marcel Proust

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

Baby Chickpea wrote:Thanks Brian. Unless I can get it from some of the forum miscreants :wink: , I actually wouldn't mind paying $65 for 2-3 bottles of this if I have to! Real lusty wine :wink:

Oh Brian (or anyone), is the Amon Ra similar or a step up in weight?

Too late from this miscreant, received and sold out of two parcels of this fine wine!

I think the Amon Ra is up there too, despite Parker's 'faint praise' of the wine.

I sure have both in my cellar
regards

Gavin Trott

DaveB

Post by DaveB »

I'll throw my hat in the ring as well

Ben Glaetzer Godolphin 2004

Giddy up!!
84% Shiraz from 100+ year old vines and 16% 60-90 year-old Cabernet. Aged in 30% new Allier, 30% 2nd year Allier and 40% 2nd year American oak.
Ahhhh Shiraz/Cabs....as Aussie as underarm bowling.......very deeply coloured little number this one....the aromas of stewed berry fruits, blackcurrant, spiced fruitcake, satsuma plum and 'Old Jamacian' chocolate dominate as you poke your nose in the glass.... supported by dabs of licorice, earth, cedar and creamy, quality oak. There is obvious depth and power behind the fruit on the nose.
The initial attack of sweet blackfruits in the mouth has a pleasing weight and as it settles, the wines structure and depth of fruit becomes apparent.. Its 15% alcohol is just barely noticible and the super ripe tannins are sheathed in juicy blackfruits, chocolate and spice. Quality oak usage here too and it should sleep nicely in the cellar. Nice one.......

92 Points

ChrisH

Post by ChrisH »

Thanks for writing this up Attila (and for the other notes from you guys).

Think I will try to find a couple.

Attila

Post by Attila »

My pleasure.
Cheers,
Attila
"(Wine) information is only as valuable as its source" DB

Popov

Post by Popov »

Hi Attila,

Thanks for the great note! It sounded so good I thought I better find myself one.
So I managed to pick up a Godolphin and a couple of Amon-Ra last night.

Cheers
Popov

Raymond W

Post by Raymond W »

Thanks for the notes Attila and Dave. Since I have only managed to get my hands on a solitary bottle of Godolphin, I think I will wait a year or two before I sit back and enjoy this wine. From the notes, it certainly sounds like a ripper.

Cheers,

Raymond

Alan Rath

Post by Alan Rath »

Attila,
Great note. I tried the Godolphin in early December (having bought it up here on spec for $43 earlier in the year), and was very happy with my purchase.

http://forum.auswine.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=4361

I actually think it has a good chance to age incredibly, with pretty high acidity and some nice tannic structure. Agree that I'll probably err on the side of drinking earlier than later, but I intend to hang on to a couple beyond 10 years just to see how my prediction holds.

Cheers,
Alan