couple of old reds found at the back of the cellar

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
mb

couple of old reds found at the back of the cellar

Post by mb »

i have found two forgotten reds at the back of a few boxes behind the cellar. the first is a st henri 89...i'm sure this will be worth trying anyway even though i see the 89 has been given a bad rap by some. the other is a miramar mudgee shiraz 91. any good?

Chris Judd

Post by Chris Judd »

Hi and welcome!

You keep the 91 Mirrimar and I'll be very happy with the 89 St Henri. Off vintage but true to style and quite delish. Haven't looked at one recently so can't say how they're currently travelling. ...anyone?

Cheers
Chris

GRB

Post by GRB »

JO has the Mirimar drinking from 2003-2011 so you might be in luck here as well.

Glen
Winner of the inaugural RB cork-count competition
Runner up RB-NTDIR competition
Runner up TORB TN competition
Leave of absence second RB c-c competition

DJ

Post by DJ »

89 St Henri was one of the best 89s out of South Australia. I drank my last bottle about 2 years ago and it had just started to fade. I'd drink the 89 pretty soon. Neverthelss it has been a fabulous wine, the tannin and fruit were in very good balance, from memory of a St Henri retrospective in 2001 the 89 was very much in style. The 89 St Henri was one of the most approachable St Henris of that period 88 still has too much tannin and may not ever come into balance. 86 is the classic and still going strong.
David J

Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake 1Ti 5:23

wine.hcg

Post by wine.hcg »

I had the 89 recently as well -- was still a fine drop
BUT
the magnum of 86 St Henri I consumed for my 50th was REALLY something special.

mb

Post by mb »

thanks for teh feedback....i'll crack them soon and report back with some amatuer TN's