You know the drill - it's Sunday again

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
TORB

You know the drill - it's Sunday again

Post by TORB »

Hi Good Peoples,

It seems like it was only seven days since we did the last what have you been drinking report. :P Time flies when you are having fun. :)

The weather is warming up in NSW and this week saw the start of the Sparkling Shiraz season. I just love that stuff; its easy drinking, satisfying, refreshing and a great drink that you don't have to think about to enjoy.

Last night I had a bottle of Bullers Reginald 72/91/92 blend it was fabulous. A big wine with huge amounts of flavour, even the younger material is now starting to take on real aged characters.

Now what have you guys been drinking? Vibes, notes or lists welcome.
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

GRB

Post by GRB »

Good drinking week this week in Melbourne for work so bottle shop and BYO all on expenses :D

Grosset Polish Hill 2005
Lime citrus nose, Layered palete with wonderfull acid balance. Started with limes and citrus and endered minutes later with honey. This wine changed character as it slowly warmed to room temp. Excellent

Leo Buring Leonay 2005
Limes and mineral nose, nice complexity and a lovely crisp finish. This is a lovely wine but the Grosset was better.

Mr Riggs Shiraz 2004
Berrys plums dark fruit. Deep purple colour, nice fruit on palate great balance with a long finish. Nicely structured and should improve.

Grant Burge Filsell 2003
Dark Purple , Coffee, Plums, Berrys, and Chary Oak. Good Length and complexity but the oak from the nose seems to protrude through a bit much for my taste. May settle down in a couple of years but I just don't think I like this style much.

Alkoomi Frankland River Shiraz Vionier 2003
Berry Fruit and Apricots on the nose. Medium weight wine with a nice round finish. Vionier is noticable on the palate as well. Nice wine but I still don't think I am a fan of this blend.

Annie's Lane Copper Trail Shiraz 2001
Great nose with choc plums berrys and some oak. Layed palate that follows through well from the lovely nose with fruit choc and oak and dusty tanins, great balance, a truly impressive wine one for the to buy list.
Winner of the inaugural RB cork-count competition
Runner up RB-NTDIR competition
Runner up TORB TN competition
Leave of absence second RB c-c competition

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

Tonight: 1994 Alois Hein Brauneburger Auslese (Mosel-Saar-Ruwer).
Cost around £7.
Still very youthful straw colour. Very much tropical fruit in evidence, with peaches to the fore, apricots and mangoes battling it out with grapeyness. Some petrol on the nose and plenty of sweetness and acidity. Really quite a lot there, but was surprised at the tropical fruit flavours (just starting to re-discover German Riesling - the last decent one I had, I was aged 14, which was a long time ago!).

Last 2 weeks
Various wines in Italy, can only remember a fraction, as many were casual glasses in wine bars with a plate of formaggi or Salumi (and even some Trippa, which was ... interesting). No notes taken.

1997 I Censi IGT, Puglia (Primitivo I think, but might have been Negroamaro grape). For €9 in a restaurant this was pretty stunning, as it had aged beautifully, with aged characters creeping up on the fruit but far from engulfing it. Bought a bottle of the '00 vintage to take home at €5.40

2000 Cappello Di Prete (Candido I think). In a wine bar in Ferrara (Emilio-Romagna, Northern Italy), we thought it good to taste a wine from next weeks region (Puglia). Again, really interesting and swept away my fears of 16% alcohol bruisers I'd been worried we'd see in Puglia. Again great value and bought a bottle of this when we made it to Puglia

2004? Venturini Baldini Lambrusco (di Grasparossa?).
One of the things I'd looked forward to was trying "real" Lambrusco (as against the hideous supermarket creations). For those that like Aussie sparkling shiraz, this would be worth a try, as the fruit has decent depth and complexity. However this is a dry (or very nearly dry) wine and for me (though this is very much a matter of taste) a more serious wine for it. Works fantastically at cutting through the fat of salami, lardo, despite being quite light in alcohol c. 11%. Cost about €7 - I'd pay up to double that if I could find it in UK. Will search out those that are available.
We had a bottle from a different (unknown to me) producer in an Indian Restaurant in Ferrara. Whilst clearly an inferior wine to the Baldini, it was still decent and did work well with the Swordfish & Chicken Tikka. Had to help the waiting staff identify the bottle we'd chosen from their racks :roll:
(p.s. 1st "non Italian" restaurant in Italy for us - Michelle had a stinker of a cold, so curry seemed the logical choice. Very odd experience, but surprisingly good food. We turned down the offer of the Indian wine).

Rivera (I think) 2001 Primitivo Di Manduria 14%
Almost a "Monty Python Cheese Emporium" moment in the restaurant, as they didn't have our 1st 3 choices off the list, but seemed eager to offer this one. Well I probably should have made a comment at the end, as whilst not a bad wine, really wasn't that interesting & was the first instance of a primitivo with the alcohol noticeable. Still the starter was a pretty stunning collection of dishes & the mains were great. Clearly a good chef and a less capable head waiter!

Many others tasted, including a very impressive (and cheap) Locorotondo DOC white which was like a complex sauvignon blanc (yes I know that's an oxymoron!); Rosso di Montalcino from Col D'Orcia which as our 1st Rosso di M, made a good impression;a great Amarone; stuff from Molise, Sardinia, Tuscany. and a few from Emilia Romagna (mainly Colli Bolognesi).

Six bottles lugged back, including a Bellei Sparkler from E-R, together with Patriglione and Donna Lisa Salice Salentino from Candido as our holiday "trophy wines".

Lots of nice produce brought back as well.

Sorry for the length of this :oops:

Ian

markg

Post by markg »

Just getting over a mouth ulcer so havn't had much that didn't taste like vinegar lately.

2002 Greenock Creek Cabernet
Very cocoa/berry flavoured, almost a bit thin, not as good as I have remembered having in the past

2001 Seppelts Victorian Premium Reserve Shiraz
Very nice. Top wine at the price paid ($11.90 if I remember correctly)
Cheers
-Mark Wickman

WICKMAN'S FINE WINE AUCTIONS
FREE membership, LOWEST auction commissions in Australia.
Now accepting wine for our next auction.
http://www.wickman.net.au

Twitter: @WickWine
YouTube: WickWineAuction

Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Hi everyone,
highlights this week were a Produttori del Barbaresco 1995 which was a good change to many of our australian reds. Dry and savoury with plenty of acidity and tannins. Drunk over 2 nights and was hitting it's straps by the 2nd night.
I have also been drink my with through 2005 vintage Rieslings, with another bottle of Mesh (tight, restrained, minerally) and Leo Buring Leonay (loads of lemon, tangy acidity and immaculate length) being the highlights.

cheers
anthony
Good wine ruins the purse; bad wine ruins the stomach
Spanish saying

Jakob

Post by Jakob »

GRB wrote:Grant Burge Filsell 2003
Dark Purple , Coffee, Plums, Berrys, and Chary Oak. Good Length and complexity but the oak from the nose seems to protrude through a bit much for my taste. May settle down in a couple of years but I just don't think I like this style much.

I bought 3 of these on release, and have already had two thinking the first was served too warm. With the second had Friday night, it's feels like it's just not a good Filsell (yet?). I normally love it, the 2002 was first rate and I'm happy to have some stashed away, but this seems like it's been watered down and had a shot of vodka thrown in, in comparison.

Haven't been taking notes recently, here's a few impressions with the more unusual ones first; Sherwood Estate, near Kempsey, has done well with the 2002 Shiraz, medium bodied, sweet but not sour-sweet fruit, well judged oak and surprisingly great length. Much enjoyment. Very Good? The 2003 Reserve Chambourcin is a bigger wine, again well made, but needs some breathing or a few years laid down. It has some real Old World characters to it, with gamey, spicy, slightly green roasted herby (not in the bad way, hard to explain) notes with mostly red fruits. Very Good, will improve, give it 5 years and it should go 10 no problem. Merilba Estate is in New England, the whites are already showing well, and the reds are coming on steam, some 2004 barrel samples looked absolutely fantastic, the Chardonnay will be great, the Shiraz even better. The already bottled lower-end 2004 Shiraz (labelled Ration Hill, from memory) has a pinch of Durif thrown in, giving it incredible complexity for a $10 wine. The white blend in the same tier (really should have taken notes, doh) punches above it's weight again, nothing poking out, really pleasant drinking (and I don't drink whites). Also, the 2003 Shiraz was Very Good without a doubt...enough fruit to handle the oak. The 2002 Cabernet still needs some time to integrate, but it looks better than it did a years ago; I think the fruit will soak it up in time, and it should be Very Good+ in 18 months or a few more years. Definitely a winery to look out for! Interestingly, Petersons have apparently set up shop in New England too, a local bottle shop had the 2004 Merlot, weighing in at a silly 15% alc. Not a bad drop, certainly not a girl's blouse Merlot, but too much alcohol and not enough fruit, though good length.

Some current release stuff, and some younger cellared wines. 2003 St. Hallett Faith is not up to the level of the 2002, though not bad quaffing at, what $13. 2002 Mitolo Jester is pure enjoyment right now, velvety smooth with black fruits, pepper and really just sings out McLaren Vale. 2002 Leasingham Bin 61 is just getting better and better, while Pennies Bin 28 same vintage doesn't seem to be going anywhere, leave for a while. 2001 The Willows Shiraz has improved over the last year, still has those lovely unusual herbs and spices, cinnamon and cardamom. Very good length, give it another few years and it may turn into something great. 1999 Wendouree Shiraz Malbec is very approachable with a few hours of breathing, great marriage of the two varieties, good depth, complexity and length. Given a few more years, it'll come together well I think. 2000 Mount Pleasant Rosehill is pure Hunter goodness, best with food I think, went great with home made Armenian-style pizza. The 2000 Greenock Green Alice's is good but not great, I don't think it'll go anywhere, the 2001 is different, bigger and better. Disappointing next to the very good 2000 Apricot Block. The 1998 Morris Durif is coming along nicely, typical (what used to be) big Durif, just started developing some dried fruit characters (raisins and dates), plenty of length. More time, again. 1998 Wolf Blass Yellow Label shows how good this used to be, toasty oak, yes, but plenty of fruit to go with it and very good length, too. Very Good. Wynns John Riddoch 1997 is not a great JR, but Very Good+, obviously needs a bit of time, great length and all the right aromas and flavours, but not enough of it there to every be one of the best (not probably better ones)...that's more in praise of the best vintages than criticism of this one.

Couple of Bordeaux. 1983 Leoville Poyferre is an absolute stunner, plush, rich, sumptous, excellent length, mouthfilling, wonderfully complex, could masquerade as a Margaux with the floral notes. Excellent+, none left again, doh. 1981 Chateau Margaux, my second bottle of this vintage, is also Excellent, incredible length, gravelly tannins, dark and milk chocolate, red berries, not as floral as the Leoville, ironically. 1970 Mouton, sinking soaked cork, low shoulder, just something wrong with the bottle from the start. At first, septic, acidic (urine, ugh) nose, takes an hour to (mostly) blow off. Take a deep breath and try a sip, excellent balance, but still that off smell, there's some fruit red left, tannic, but this is cleary a completely dud bottle. My first badly described bottle from this auction house, and sadly, one of the most expensive I've bought :cry:

Sorry for the lack of posts lately, many and varied things going on, hope to make more of a contribution to the forum again some time soon.

Happy Drinking :D

Jakob

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

The last week of drinking was actually extremely quiet for me, with only a taste of Â’03 Carrick Pinot and Â’04 Felton Road Block 6 Chardonnay to my name. The former wine was pleasant as per the previous sample I tried 2-3 months ago, although the three day oxidation was now becoming apparent. The Block 6 Chard was released by Felton due to Block 2 sustaining heavy frost damage that would normally be used to create the blended chardonnay. As a result, more time and money was spent making the Block 6 a rare and unique wine. It has twelve months in French oak, 20% of that new. There is minimal intervention during the barrel ferment process. The nose is really good, cool and suave yet brimming with high quality fruit. The oak is apparent, but not obtrusive. In the mouth, there is plenty of acid that almost conceals the barely noticeable residual sugar. The alcohol is evident, not in the form of heat but you can tell this is a big 14% chardy. Not yet balanced, IÂ’d probably have trouble working through a bottle. Definitely needs time, balancing out in maybe 2-3 years to become a great wine. It has now sold out at cellar door.

In the previous week, I spent six days in paradise with four very good friends in the Whyambeel Valley, just north of Port Douglas. There were a lot of good wines drunk, some that surprised and some that didnÂ’t live up to expectation. With no time for proper notes, IÂ’ve included very brief impressions below.

NV Rockford Black
How does the saying go, once youÂ’ve had black you never go back? IÂ’m sold. This was my first Rockford Black experience and definitely will not be my last. A superb wine, with sweet fruit oozing to every crevice of my mouth. Thankfully, this stuff is not overly fizzy and foaming like some sparklings can be, allowing full oral appreciation. My teeth were doing mexican waves. The finish goes on and on, every second longer demanding another sip. One of my top five wines for the trip.
2000 Brokenwood Graveyard Shiraz
This was served blind, and picked with the aid of options. Best described as a dormant giant, we gave this maximum opportunity to shine and it just didnÂ’t. Is this going through a dumb phase? I sure hope so.
2004 Keith Tulloch Semillon
This was our first wine of the trip, and a great way to start things off. Surprisingly developed for such a young Semillon.
2003 Henschke Joseph Hill Gewurztraminer
My first Joseph Hill. A pretty good Gewurz, but asking a bit much at the upper end price bracket. Turned a bit ‘dishwasher liquid’ with extended time in the glass.
1994 Wendouree Cab Malbec
Highly anticipated, an anticlimax of sorts ensued. Nose was overflowing with liquorice, trace amounts of earth, black cherry, mint and spice in the background. An enjoyable wine, tannins still chewy but I would presume quite developed. This was very good, but didn't blow my head off like I thought it might.
2001 Palacios Propiedad (Rioja)
A very enjoyable Spanish wine is all I can recollect.
1999 Leasingham Bin 61 Shiraz (magnum)
Openly labelled the “goon of the trip”, this beasty was perfect for late night drinking once our taste buds and noses were in oblivion.
1992 De Bortoli Noble One (half)
Cork crumbled and required some makeshift extraction. This didnÂ’t show well, nose oxidised and a little bit sickly on the palate. Bought at auction, put down to a bad bottle.
1999 St Hallett Blackwell Shiraz
I missed this. Too busy nursing my Â’66 Bin 389 and hoping, waiting.
2003 St Hallett Faith Cab Sauv
My first Faith Cab Sauv experience. Just like the Shiraz, this is great value Barossan juice. Bottle was gone in no time.
1999 Leeuwin Art Series Chardonnay
Very typical LEASC. A wine that in hindsight probably needed some food with it. Still delicious and top rate though.
2004 Felton Rd Block 3 Pinot
This is very different from the standard pinot of the same vintage. Whilst the standard pinot has fruit to boot that is spilling out of the glass (and needs lots of time), I found the '04 Block 3 more approachable. Tropical North Queensland heat affected this to begin with, but after a quick chill in the freezer this pinot was caressing my tonsils as it flew down the throat. Nose of restrained fruit, mocha, earth and game, with Blair's talents coming to the fore in the mouth, the oak integrated wonderfully. Reaffirms my love of this variety.
2004 Cigale GSM
In elite company, this just didn't stack up. Very "GSM'ey", an okay enough wine but not a highlight.
1988 Trimbach Gewurztraminer (half)
WhatÂ’s old Gewurz meant to taste/smell like? This was varietal, but plain and simple. Maybe it was past it at seventeen years of age, but there was nothing off about the wine, just nothing impressive.
1996 Pol Roger Rosè
A real treat, this was sipped like an old gentleman until my schizo animalistic consciousness took over and I reverted to the devouring of my prawns. Great food match. If I’m going to drink Rosè, let this be it.
2002 Riversleigh Petit Verdot
Surprisingly, this petit verdot varietal was not offensive. Good fruit on the nose and the palate, tannins starting to integrate and a short to medium finish. Good wine for later in the night.
2001 Tatachilla Foundation Shiraz
After tasting this wine with the folks back in August, I had to try it again very soon. I'm a big fan of the '01 Foundation, especially the palate which is packed full of juicy fruit full of texture. The nose promises more with age, evident by the way it opened up on the second night. Not a 10-20 year wine, but it'll be singing in five years.
2004 Crawford River Riesling
This was drunk along side the Pol when we had the prawnorama. Couldn't have picked two better wines to go with the food.
1998 Tyrrells House Block Shiraz
Options bastardry. Yes this is Australian, yes this is Shiraz, yes this is Victorian. Or not. This is Hunter Valley Shiraz unlike any other I have tasted. Super stuff, it was one of my top five for the trip. Need to try and source some more.
1999 Penfolds Bin 389
Nothing jaw dropping about this wine, but I do enjoy the style. A good Shiraz Cab blend that needs more time. A lot more time.
1966 Penfolds Bin 389
This was served blind. Discussion lead to Australia, Shiraz and about 10-20 years old. At nearly 40, this 389 still has amazing colour. Smells and tastes like an old wine, but it just didn't reach the heights that others have reported. Consulted with Adair re decanting time, and as per the recommendation a watchful eye was kept on the wine for the ensuing 3-4 hours after decanting. Nothing spectacular eventuated. I came back to it after 8 hours and it was on the decline. Unfortunate. Bought at auction.
1998 Torres Mas La Plana
A decent spanish wine that confused me in all aspects when served blind. More options bastardry.
2000 No Regrets Pinot
Good Tassie pinot. Very different to pinots of other regions, very distinct. Herb and fruit nose, the alcohol showing as it warmed. A quick chill and this was back to top form. Lurvly.
2000 Gaja Sito Moresco
This was served blind, and confused everyone. Definitely had an old world nose, but was it Italian or Spanish? The real surprise came in the form of the third grape variety. Besides Cabernet and Merlot, this had one third Nebbiolo which I couldnÂ’t detect at any stage. A Gaja Piedmont beast, youÂ’d also suspect a fierce tannin structure but this was mellow and ready for immediate drinking. Class wine and enjoyable, it was a real bugger to analyse and pick.
1998 Fromm Pinot
One of the oldest pinots I've tried. After some initial bottle stink, nose was fantastic. Very complex, fruit still hanging on with herbs and spice. Seamless in the mouth, with a tasty finish. Fell over as the day rolled on, the fruit clocking off early, but still a nice curio.
2001 Elderton Ashmead Cab Sauv
This was a bit of work. Oak was prevalent, especially on the nose, more subdued on the palate. Good quality fruit that wasn't over ripe, as the vintage might suggest. Needs more time.
2002 Wolf Blass Black Label
Great fruit intensity, with the surprise to discover that there's a bit of Malbec in this (10+%?). Again, drunk way too young, come back in ten.
1996 Te Mata Coleraine Cab Merlot
I was looking forward to trying this, and it didn't disappoint. One of my top three wines of the week. Great nose, soft and gentle mouthfeel with plenty of flavour. Moreish finish with loads of length. There was nothing green and nasty about this NZ cab. Great drinking now, it will continue to delight for at least another five years.
Charles Melton Sparkling Shiraz
Subdued fruit, but well made. This could never compare to the Rockford, and at $10 less, why bother?
2003 Kalleske Old Vine Grenache
Corked.
2001 Roda I
A Spanish monster that failed to open up. Disappointing considering the price tag.
1998 Wild Duck Creek Alan's Cabernet
Fantastic stuff. Nose of redcurrant, wild berries, cigar box, spice and a little bit of smoky oak. A really complex nose. Fruit bombards on the palate, tannins initially quite fierce that dye down with some air time. Long finish.
2004 Kaesler Old Bastard
Ridiculous amont of fruit. I could smell this from across the room and was afraid that I might turn into a blackcurrant if I stood too close. I was sweating this for several days afterwards. The ultimate definition of cassis, this was hedonistic liqueur. One shot would be enough. This barrel sample promises great things, and a very long lived life.

Well, if you've made it this far, top marks. A little longer than intended. We had all those wines, coupled with a case of Coopers Sparkling, and some Boags, Labatt Blue, Bluetongue and I forget what else. A great trip.

Cheers,
Max
-----
Avant d’être bon, un vin doit être vrai

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

2004 Old Plains Adelaide Plains Shiraz (The Power of One)

Yum, very yum!

:lol:
regards

Gavin Trott

Sean

Post by Sean »

deleted
Last edited by Sean on Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sean

Post by Sean »

deleted
Last edited by Sean on Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

action2096

Post by action2096 »

Just a couple from me. Again no tatsing notes just impressions.

Cimicky Autograph Shiraz 2002

Deep & Dark showing plenty of black fruit. The tannins & oak are there but not overly prominent and seems to hide the 14.9% alcohol with ease. Very nice stuff.

Moondah Brook Shiraz 2004
Picked this up to try as as i've been reasonably impressed with the chardonnay & verdelho as quaffers in the past however this is definetly not going to be on the purchase list in future. Thin...green..Yuk..

Okay it was only $11 but tasted more like a $5 wine to be honest

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Sean wrote:Give yourself top marks mate.

Did you guys take all that wine with you on the plane to NQ? Or was there one heck of a local bottleshop? :)

Actually, there is a very impressive bottle shop at Smithfield just ten minutes north of the Cairns Airport. They have a big liquor barn section, then a wine buyers dream section that is this great big enclosed aisle with temperature controlling ducts and everything. Quite sophisticated really for an odd job Cairns liquor outlet. Prices weren't exorbidant either, and the range was excellent. Krug on the shelf at $200/bottle seemed a decent price.

As for freighting the wine, one of the attendees has contacts witihin Cathay Pacific, so we were able to ship up 3-4 cases. The rest was carried on, complete with clinking Riedel glasses and decanters... :roll: :oops:

We didn't even get through all the planned wine either. I came back with an '04 Godolphin and '97 1er Cru Sauternes, someone else went back with a '94 Howard Park Cab, someone else a Katnook Odyssey...
Max
-----
Avant d’être bon, un vin doit être vrai

Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Ulithorne Frux Frugis Shiraz 2003
Seemed corked. No fruit on nose or palate and no finish to speak of. Disappointing.

Voyager Estate Cabernet Merlot 2001
Got home late from work Friday night and the old man left half a bottle of this behind the bar !I was immediately excited and promptly finished it off while watching Rage. CanÂ’t mention enough superlatives for this wine, especially when picked up at $32 a bottle. Classic MR cab sav nose of cassis, dried herbs and dried earth/gravel. Palate was pristine with blackberries, plumbs and earth with well integrated oak and super-fine tannins. I am very happy to have a six-pack stashed away as it should be a beauty in the long term but it is drinking so well now.

Seppelt Vintage Fortified GR27 Shiraz Tinta Molle 1997 (375ml)
While buying a few top end bottles for an upcoming dinner picked this up for $9.90 at a large corporate chain for a cheeky Thursday night tipple. Not bad. Showed raisiny and concentrated shiraz flavours but had a disconcerting pine needle/strong cedar/pineÂ’oÂ’clean flavour that was off putting. This pine needle flavour was less evident on Friday night with the 2nd half of the bottle but was still disconcerting. Not too bad for $9.90 though.

Charles Melton Nine Popes 2000
Normally a Barossa favourite but was hard to like. An obvious result of a tough vintage, the bouquet showed very little fruit and seemed quite lifeless and the wine was not corked. The palate followed on from the bouquet with stewed plumb and prune notes but was not up to the normal complexity often found in good vintages of the Nine Popes with an absence of meaty, chocolate and spice characters that are present in a good Barossa GSM.
Last edited by Jordan on Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Premierships and great wine... that is what life is all about

Adair

Post by Adair »

Maximus wrote:1966 Penfolds Bin 389
This was served blind. Discussion lead to Australia, Shiraz and about 10-20 years old. At nearly 40, this 389 still has amazing colour. Smells and tastes like an old wine, but it just didn't reach the heights that others have reported. Consulted with Adair re decanting time, and as per the recommendation a watchful eye was kept on the wine for the ensuing 3-4 hours after decanting. Nothing spectacular eventuated. I came back to it after 8 hours and it was on the decline. Unfortunate. Bought at auction.

Sorry to read this. Although not in any way to lightening the disappointment you would have felt, I guess these disappointments are a part of the wine game, especially when buying from auction (worse if not). I will invite you to an offline in 2035 to open one or a couple of my 1996 Bin 389s!

Kind regards,
Adair
Wine is bottled poetry.

macau fan

Post by macau fan »

It was an eventful week ‘winewise’ – however, besides the release of the Advocate’s 161 ratings; there was an event over here in Singapore - with the “Wines for Asia 2005”.

This event was where wineries were showcasing their wines for corporate and retail interest in Asia. Bordeaux 2001s, Italians (E. Romangna area), Spanish, Argentineans, Chileans, Kiwis & of course – the Australians. I believe that the American wines were also represented. But there was too much to sample overall and too little time.

Limiting my observations to the Australian list, a few wines caught my attention. Off the top of my head – David Treager, Hahn, Blackjack, Mad Dog, Brothers-In-Arms & Pillar Box were all yummy. On the other hand, there were a couple which tasted quite acceptable. Virgara SavBlanc from Adelaide Plains and Whale Coast Wines – which is the first time that I am seeing them presented (or even heard of them). Rather decent wines!

On a separate note – I had been keeping the Leasingham Classic Clare Shiraz since the 1993 vintage to the 1997 vintage. Did not buy any after that 97 vintage as prices crept up to unacceptable levels? My biggest purchase then as a beginner was the 1996 vintage with half a case. Over the years - all of my 1996s were damaged. Hoping for a pseudo miracle – I kept a surviving one for a vertical. Last week I opened 1993 – not great - but a good wine. 1995, 1996 & 1997 were all spoilt. I did not open the 1994 as it was the Jimmy Watson winner and I was hoping it can be different? (OK – a fridge is a good idea and I just managed to get one 4 years ago – my fault).
On a dissatisfied note, my group of friends decided to open a horizontal of the 2003 Greenock Creek. The Alice’s Block, The Apricot Block and the 7-Acre plus the Cabernet Sauvignon. Oh wow – hard to describe. They tasted the same? Massive black fruit palate following the aromas. Well, I felt that the Apricot was the best currently, with the 7-Acre seeming to have more layers hidden under the fruit. The Alice’s seemed a little simple? But the CabSav had a very aggressive green streak running the entire length of the palate.
We were all Greenock Creek fans after trying their earlier vintages over time. Especially the 1997 7-Acre; this was almost elegant on release and put on increasing weight over the years. However, the current 2003 releases are already hefty; and it would be rather hard to imagine how much more weight they can amass?

Best Regards

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

Anthony wrote:Hi everyone,
highlights this week were a Produttori del Barbaresco 1995 which was a good change to many of our australian reds. Dry and savoury with plenty of acidity and tannins. Drunk over 2 nights and was hitting it's straps by the 2nd night.
I have also been drink my with through 2005 vintage Rieslings, with another bottle of Mesh (tight, restrained, minerally) and Leo Buring Leonay (loads of lemon, tangy acidity and immaculate length) being the highlights.

cheers
anthony

A good choice. The Barbaresco co-op puts out some really good quality wines. Keep an eye out for their single vineyard wines as well (Asili, Montestefano, etc.). Not a massive price hike up from the standard bottling.
Ian

darby

A sparkling red and a riesling

Post by darby »

[b]1996 Paulletts Polish Hill Riesling[?b/]
This wine was yellow but still fresh, more citrus than kerosene. The cork was in good condition. A lovely wine that showed what aging can do. It has been 'cellared' in an above ground cupboard in a house in Central Victoria which means that it may be developing more quickly than others of its vintage.

grahamg

Post by grahamg »

This is two weeks worth of notes -

Ivanhoe Shiraz Pressings 2003
Basic berries, good concentration and balance. GOOD, but a bit boring

Cape Mentelle Zinfandel 2003
sweet, dark berries, floral, citrus peel, big body and length, mouth filling but slight astringent finish. GREAT, full on and a little interesting

Stonier Reserve Pinot Noir 2003
rose petal, lightish body, some of that pinot forestry taste, slightly astringent and chemical finish. GREAT, not quite the complexity hoped for, will try again soon.

Penfolds Grandfather Port
warm spicy raisins and oak, honey sweet spices, long mellow finish. GREAT, for value would go with Sepelts vintage 21 year old for half the price.

Rosemount Estate Show Reserve Shiraz 2001 (McLaren Vale, Langhorne Creek, Currency Creek)
Dark spice, concentrated, licorish, dark berries, mouth filling with good balance. GOOD, a bit boring.

Cape Mentelle Cab Sauv 1992
Floral, elegant, medium weighted well integrated tannins, peaked and in decline. EXCELLENT, with more complexity and depth I would give "outstanding".

Andrew Jordan

Post by Andrew Jordan »

Had a pretty good week this week on the wine front, but nothing like Max's wine Odyssey above! 8)

2003 Schubert Goose-yard Block Shiraz

Finally got around to cracking one of these over dinner the other night. Deep purple in colour, the wine initially didnÂ’t give much to the nose, very closed. Probably thinking back should have decantered for a couple of hours. But after some serious swirling in the glass it began to open up a little bit, with aromas of chocolate, plum, blackberry and coffee. This is a beauty and is a classic wine in the making. Great mouth feel and balance was my initial reaction Â… could easily drink this all night Â… not like some of the other ball-tearers coming out of the Barossa these days where 1-2 glasses is enough. But donÂ’t be caught thinking that this is not a big wine, because it is. Very concentrated upfront fruit, with lashings of rich black fruits and dark chocolate. However, very smooth and elegant at the same time. Soft, silky tannins and a wonderfully long finish. This wine will definitely improve with some age on it, but boy is it drinking very nicely right now. Will be hard to keep my hands off in the short term! Another winner from the so-so 2003 Barossa vintage and worth every Mr Parker, Mr Halliday, Mr Whoever point. In fact take any criticÂ’s score and add 2, itÂ’s that good!!

1999 Justin Isosceles (Cabernet, Cabernet Franc, Merlot blend)

Bought this back from the US with us. The 1997 of this wine came #6 in Wine Spectator Top 100. Although not in the same class as the 1997 I took this to a brown paper bag night during the week and it showed admirably, being voted in the top 3 wines of the night out of 18. Not a complicated wine. Dark, dense purple garnet color. Elegant with a wonderful bouquet of black fruits, cedar, and vanillia. Mouthcoating entry which continues to highlight the fruit, followed by sweet silky tannins and a bit of oak. Medium finish. Have a few more and will probably drink them in the next couple of years as IMO it has peaked and will not get any better.

2002 Orlando Gramps Shiraz - mid-week quaffer

1998 Peter Lehmann Cabernet - another mid weeker which is drinking very well.

2002 Seppelt Sparkling Shiraz - always a winner, especially this time of year!

Dinner on Saturday night with some good friends:

N.V. Elderton Sparkling Shiraz Ashmead Family Reserve

Started the evening with this. From memory blend of 3 vintages of material taken from the Command ... 1994, 96 and 97 ?? although not sure. Was very popular with the girls. Lots of upfront fruit, sweet but not overly so. Really liked this. Gobbled up in record time! :shock:

1994 Orlando Cabernet Sauvignon St. Hugo

Probably my favourite wine year on year and this bottle showed why. Decantered for 1 hour. Colour was bright, crimson red. Lovely nose, with some mint, leafiness, and capsicum coming through. The palate was smooth covering the tongue with chocolate and sweet berry flavours, finishing with silky tannins. This went really well with the barbequed sirloin we were eating at the time, and the wine disappeared very quickly. Very glugable as my wife would say. Was WOTN for many at the table. Great example of Coonawarra cabernet. At 11 years old this wine has definitely peaked but still has a few years left in it yet I feel.

2000 Grant Burge Shiraz Meshach

Decantered also for 1 hour. Probably needed more time to show itÂ’s best. Colour was a rich ruby red. The nose was more distinct that the St Hugo, lots of fruit and spice with some vanillin oak in the background. The palate was definitely in your face, but not as much as I remember the 1999 vintage of the same wine. This vintage was definitely softer, more approachable now, then compared to the 1999. Lots of dark fruit, chocolate and oak flavours envelop the palate. Tannins were soft and silky and it had a medium to long finish Â… but something was missing Â… just didnÂ’t have that WOW factor for me. Although a very nice wine, could not justify paying the $90AU cellar door asking price for this wine. Picked this up at auction for just over half of that which is more in the ball-park. The winery gives this a 20+ year drinking window. I think by then, I will have drunk the rest of mine!
Last edited by Andrew Jordan on Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:56 am, edited 4 times in total.
Cheers
AJ

Cabernet is ... and will always be ... KING!

Gregoire

Post by Gregoire »

1997 Leewin Art Series Chardonnay (LASC)
Way, way, past it. Deep golden colour, suspiciously so in fact. Honeyed, rather pleasant but totally 1-dimensional sweetish nose typical of cheaper chards just kept too long. Similar palate. Honeyed, simple. About the only LASC thing about it was the length. Opened another from my 6-pack. The same! Purchased direct from cellar, and cellared well. Worrying to say the least. I was expecting so, so much more! Have contacted winery about this...

1998 Leewin Art Series Chardonnay
My backup number two after the above. Much, much better. Tight. Complex. Enjoyed every drop.

1995 Noble One (375ml)
Absolute magic. Wow! WOTN.
Let the kids out!

Gregoire

Post by Gregoire »

And my-oh my didn't I miss one.. must have been too focussed on those 1997 Leeuwins!

1996 Henshke Mt Edelstone Shiraz
Decanted two hours prior, as I learned last time. Wonderfully complex nose of tobacco, tar, chocolate ... Smooth, long palate. Fine tannins. Definitely ready to drink. A terriffic drop. My last, I think.
Let the kids out!

Deejay

Post by Deejay »

Trip down to Margaret River for the weekend - tasted too many things to give detailed impressions as I am not a note taker. Went to the Langtons Barrel tasting prior to the auction, lots of the premium cabernets there. Cullens were the standout for the barrels, their 2004 looks magnificent already and should be out of the barrels in a few months and then released in another year or so. Houghton's Jack Mann was also very good. Some of the others were less approachable at the moment such as the Moss Wood, it will be interesting to try these vintages again in a few to ten years.
Wine of the trip went to the Woodlands Kevin Cab Sav 2002 (around $70) that definately gave all the Cabs at the Langtons thing a good run for their money and then beat them in the balance and palate length. Picked up a dozen of their Cabernet Merlot ($16.50 case price) which in QPR was an absolute no-brainer.
Tasting with 3 young ladies including one from Northern England who changed my terminology from "Easy Drinking Style" to "Ooh, I can neck that dead quick" far more refined. Great weekend as usual down there.

Andrew Jordan

Post by Andrew Jordan »

Wine of the trip went to the Woodlands Kevin Cab Sav 2002 (around $70) that definately gave all the Cabs at the Langtons thing a good run for their money and then beat them in the balance and palate length.

Deejay,

I didn't know the 2002 was released yet? I thought the 2001 Kevin was just released which is also a great wine from all reports. Have you had the 2001 and if so how do the 2 compare?

Thanks in advance.
Cheers
AJ

Cabernet is ... and will always be ... KING!

Deano

Post by Deano »

2002 Rockford Rod & Spur...very nice the next day.
1998 Parker Terra Rossa Cab Sav...not much depth, little dissappointed.
Cheers

Deejay

Post by Deejay »

Sorry, it is the 2001 - as I said, I don't take notes. This is a very good wine. Another thought I didn't mention above were that the Voyager Cab Merlot is great qpr compared to alot of the other flagships - I hope it stays that way - the guy from voyager reckons there is no plan to increase it.

Rob

Post by Rob »

Dom Pérignon Enothèque 1988
This is an incredible wine. The mousse, the colour, the taste and the nose all bound together to give you a wine that will linger in your mind long after is has been consummed. The wine was disgorged in 2002. The colour is bright and sparkling yellow. The aroma showed toast, nuts and a hint of burnt chocolate to compliment the toasty aroma. The palate is very clean and concentrated, with yeast, citrus (subtle citrus) and mineral character. The mousse is extremely fine and consistent. The wine sit in a glass for more than a hour, but the bubbles was so consistent like it has been pumped into it. This is a succulent wine and I wish it never ends.

Domaine Trapet Gevery-Chambertin petite chapelle 1er Cru 1976
This wine is fantastic. Directly from the cellar of Louis Trapet. The colour was bright showing no sign of browing. The nose was full of berries in particular blue berry. The palate is still very refreshing and not tired at all. Cassie and cedar on the palate with smooth fine tannins and very balanced oak treatment. It is at its peak. a great wine.

Penfolds Grange 1980
I was given a glass of this wine to try by the sommelier. The wine was dark inky red. Not much nose, no primary fruit left. very disjointed, tanninic and tired. I don't think this wine has been cellared properly, no wonder there is still half of a decanter full at the end.
Cheers
Rob
"The red liquid circulating in my body is actually red wine, not blood."

Adair

Post by Adair »

Rob wrote:Penfolds Grange 1980
I was given a glass of this wine to try by the sommelier. The wine was dark inky red. Not much nose, no primary fruit left. very disjointed, tanninic and tired. I don't think this wine has been cellared properly, no wonder there is still half of a decanter full at the end.

Definitely badly cellared. It was wine of the night at a reasoanably respectable wine dinner 2 months ago: http://forum.auswine.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=3925

Great notes on the 1988 Dom Enothèque and 1976 Gevery-Chambertin.

Adair
Wine is bottled poetry.

jacques

Post by jacques »

Rob wrote:[ Penfolds Grange 1980

Open one last week with a 1980 Hill of Grace. The Grange is so powerful and still taste very young, need to wait for at least another five years. On the other hand, although the Hill of Grace have a great nose , it tasted like that it had past it peak for at least 5 years already. Got it from auction and not sure whether it is due to the poor cellaring.

davidg

Post by davidg »

Probably should have waited to sunday to post this.. but by then I'd remember even less...

Quite a few wines were brought out for a long seasonal lunch. Sorry, no tasting notes... a few recollections on those that stood out for one reason or another... In no particular order..

Wynns John Riddoch 1993 - Coonawara
Oddly enough this was the first time I had had the JR.

Salitage 1998 - Pemberton

Stoniers Reserve Pinot Noir 2001 - Mornington
My first corked wine in over a year. I thought my run of good luck was going to last forever. What little that I did taste led me to believe that there was a fair bit of Brett hiding in it too.

Narkoojee Lily Grace Chardonnay 2003 - Gippsland
A number at the lunch really liked this. I was not amongst them. I simply did not get this wine.

Paternoster Pinot Noir 1998 - Emerald
Not like any Pinot I have ever had before.

d'Arenberg Noble Traminer Riesling 1992 - McLaren Vale
A very fine botrytis wine. Rich, viscous with the strong stonefruit characteristics. visually marred by an over abundance of tartrate.
David G

"I'm going to die with a twinkle in my eye cause I sung songs, spun stories, loved, laughed and drank wine"