Pinot Noir buyers guide...

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Paul T

Pinot Noir buyers guide...

Post by Paul T »

or any tasting notes of pinots from anywhere appreciated. I have truly fallen in love with this grape (even though it tends to be expensive and hit or miss in quality/dollar stakes) and would appreciate any tips on what to buy and what to avoid. I prefer the funkier feral types with sweet ripe fruit but all those complexities that make pinot noir so intrigueing.

Cheers

Paul

Paul T

Post by Paul T »

Well i'll start with a few of my favourites..i just intended this thread to be a place to post on pinots in one spot..

Debortoli Yarra Valley Pinot Noir 2000 - An excellent wine. Cherries with a touch of barnyard funk on the nose.Beautiful ripe fruit, nice balanced use of oak, a long smooth silky finish. Great wine.

Sticks Yarra Valley Pinot Noir 2002 - A medium bodied Pinot....bouquet fairly restrained with plum and cherries with a hint of toasty oak. Upfront fruit intensity on the palate shows great structure as the wine hits it stride into a long lovely finish that shows the first hints of pinot complexity..i think this wine will improve for another 4 or so years..a bargain at $18.95.

Waipara Springs Pinot Noir 2001 - A bargain from NZ, medium bodied with beautiful nose of cherries with a light touch of forest and smoked bacon. Great balance on the palate with plenty of flesh on the backbone of silky tannins. Really good value at $24

Waipara Springs Reserve Pinot Noir 2001 - A great wine.Will stand well in any company.It has lovely ripe plum and black cherry notes with a touch of smokey oak and savoury hints on the nose. A soft rich palate of sweet fruit, fine tannins and a lengthy finish. Nice pinot complexities..i love this wine.

Anyone else have any favourites..with so many average pinots out there i thought this thread could help people avoid some of the duds.

Cheers

Paul

ChrisH

Post by ChrisH »

Let's see Paul, if we stick to Australasia, some of my favourites include Felton Road, Ata Rangi, Gibbston Reserve, Pegasus Bay, Coldstream Reserve, Bannockburn, Diamond Valley and Bass Phillip.

Actually, 2002 appears to be so good in NZ you would probably be hard pressed to pick too many bad ones.

regards
Chris

Paul T

Post by Paul T »

Thanks for the reply Chris..i have 2 bottles of 2001 Ata Rangi which i am saving for a suitable dinner and are looking forward to trying as i have heard many good things.

I definately agree with you on the producers you have listed..i have tried all except Pegasus Bay and all make great wine.

Thanks for the reply.

Paul

Cheyne

Post by Cheyne »

Hey,

Some of my fave Pinots by region include:

Tasmania (from a recent trip down there)
Elswhere vineyard
No regrets
Tinderbox
Pooley
Pipers Brook
Domaine A/Stoney Vineyard (also amazing Cabernet)

Mornington Peninsula:
10 minutes by tractor
Main Ridge
Paringa Estate

Yarra Valley:
Coldstream Hills
Yeringberg
Green Point
Yarra Track
Yering Station

I'm a bit of a Pinot nut, love the stuff

Cheers

SueNZ

Post by SueNZ »

Paul,
As far as NZ goes Central Otago Pinot is getting all the hype from 2002 - big colour, big flavour lots of alcohol, but I don't think you should overlook Martinborough in this vintage although some of the heavyweights from 2002, e.g. Martinborough Vineyards, are not being released until next year when they will be even more impressive with that extra bottle age. Some wines that I've seen from Martinborough so far, like Ata Rangi (sorry no TN yet) are offering more finesse than I've seen from Central Otago - perhaps it is the benefit of vine age. The second tiers from Ata Rangi (now labelled Walnut Ridge) and Martinborough (Te Tera), both under $30 wines, are so classically pinot - villages rather than Grand Crus if you want comparison.

That said, some wines to look out for that I've really enjoyed in the last few months are
Peregrine Central Otago 2001
Kawarau Reserve Central Otago 2001
Martinborough Vineyards Pinot Noir 2001
Neudorf Moutere 2002
Wither Hills Marlborough 2002

I've a big tasting of 2002 pinots coming up next week sometime so will report .

In the meantime you can also look at the notes on my website
www.wineoftheweek.com/tastings/pinotnoir.html. There are about 55 wines from 2002 already and over 80 wines from 2001 reviewed on that page.

Cheers,
Sue

DaveB

Post by DaveB »

Hi Paul,

Re: NZ Pinot's

Sue is spot on...the 2002 Central Otago pinot's are whoppers, big brooding buggers, the picks for me so far would be.
2002 Pisa Range Poplar Block
2002 Carrick
Martinborough does seem to have more finesse,the Ata Rangi the 2001 is excellent, the 2002 is a bit closed at the moment and I have tried a barrell sample of the 2003 and it is going to be awesome. Martinborough and Palliser are always good also.

I think Waipara pinot's are going places...Waipara Springs, Pegasus, also a winery called Waipara West make great stuff. Thet don't export to OZ though....I used to work there and I'm doing vintage there in April so if you want send me a PM and I'll bring you a bottle back so you can try.

Cheers

Dave

BobMac

Post by BobMac »

Paul,

Personally I can only affors Pinots in the $30 range and under. So my picks:

Caledonia - They make three Pinots, and all are exellcent for the price range. There is a Mt Macleod (i think) for around 20 ish, the Caledonia Pinot for 30 ish and the reserve for 40 ish. Recommend them all.

Paringa Est - The expensive stuff of course is good, but for mid 20's they have a grey label pinot (not sure the name) that is a good drop! Well worth it.

Coldstream Hills - Wasn't a fan of the 02, but previous years have been good for mid-late 20's.

St Huberts - Absolutely loved the 01 Pinot. Slightly bigger in style than other valley pinots, but nonetheless a top pinot for mid 20's.

And out of intrest had the Stoneleigh Pinot the other night. Quality stuff for around $16. Good 'quaffing' Pinot!

Cheers

Paul T

Post by Paul T »

Thanks guys for the replys.

Cheyne - No Regrets do indeed make a great pinot..small quantities but quality stuff.I am also a fan of the Stony Vineyard Cabernet..very elegant wine. Tasmanian wines just seem to get better and better. I am also a big fan of Stefano Lubiano's wines..the Primavera Pinot noir 2002 at $25 is great value.Beautiful wine and i cant wait to try his more expensive pinot if the cheaper one is as good as it is.

SueNZ - Thanks for the reply. Great site.I had been there before but didn't read the pinot tasting notes..thanks for the link.

I have a couple of bottles of Martinborough Vineyard 2001 Pinot Noir left..its the best pinot i have tried. We had it at a pinot/duck dinner party (my wife and some good friends who are chefs prepared the food to match the wines) and it was the high light of the night..we had Villa Maria reserve 2001,Bass Phillip estate 2001, Wedgetail Estate 2001, Waipara Springs reserve 2001 as well and the Martinborough was easily the wine of the night.Absolutely amazing wine.A friend of mine has moved to NZ and is making wine with his brother who is head wine maker at Isabel estate and their pinot is delicious though i havn't tried the vintage they have done but i liked the Isabel 2001 - nice funky wine.

DaveB - Thanks for the offer Dave..that is very kind..i'm sure we can work out a suitable trade..and i agree the Waipara pinots are getting very good.

BobMac - I'm the same in the affordability stakes but i do lash out sometimes..probably a bit too often but i luckily get a good discount at work and the odd bottle thrown to me by reps..being works resident pinot lover. I definately agree on the Stonleigh..great value..as is the Montana varietal and Reserve..NZ is producing very good cheap pinot..i can only think of De Bortoli's Windy Peak in Oz that represents such good value for money..the 2001 WP Pinot was bloody good drinking for $10.

Thanks again guys for the replys..also feel free to post any wines not to buy..as we all know there are some shockers out there.

One i dont like is Artemis 2001 Pinot Noir from Mittagong in the Southern Highlands of NSW..the bottle gives no indication of anything but variety and vintage..with some hippy drivel about earth sun and moon...and living in Byron i usually have no problem with stuff like that..but it makes it very hard to sell the wine at work (especially when i dont like it..i basically hope someone buys it while i'm not around..as i wont recommend it to anyone). Very little varietal character..basically a very average dry red for $40. Avoid. I have been uniformally unimpressed by all the wines i have tried by this vinyard whose other wines are sold under the Mundrakoona label.I dont normally bag wines but i have a problem with wine sold at expensive prices that is very average and the Artemis Pinot Noir 2001 is an expensive lesson in mediocrity.

Cheers

Paul T

Post by Guest »

Maybe try the Pegasus Bay (NZ) 01 Pinot. Very funky, and available from $40 or so. Even TORB might like this one.

Kieran

COOLClimax

Post by COOLClimax »

Paringa Est - The expensive stuff of course is good, but for mid 20's they have a grey label pinot (not sure the name) that is a good drop! Well worth it.

Bob,

The grey label is the Paringa PE Pinot Noir (PE = Peninsula Estate, I think), which is not all Estate grown.

Regards
CC

Paul T

Post by Paul T »

Salitage Pinot Noir 2001 - This wine is simply amazing. Consumed this alongside a 2000 Paliser estate with a duck/mushroom soup..sensational. Nose has smoky bacon, truffles (real truffle smell for those that have smelt real truffles..not truffle oil...) with earth undergrothy funky smells. A lean palate with just enough flesh on the backbone.Nice long finish..superb wine.Well done Salitage

MartinC

Post by MartinC »

If my memories served me rite, here r some recomended...

OZ: Mostly middle of the road.
Stephano Lubiana Primavera, Diamond Valley Blue Label - Good.
Never had the Cleveland P/N fr Vic. but it's the only P/N which Ric Einstein bought.

NZ: My top 3 P/N in order.
1)Fromm "Clayvin Vineyard" - Outstanding, by far the best N.World P/N I ever had. This wine has beaten the DRC in some blind tasting in Europe. Dubded the "La Tache" of New World. To me it's "liquid sex"
2)Kawarau Reserve - Excellent
3)Kaituna Valley, Canterbury - Excellent

Not forgetting, Te Kairanga Reserve - V.Good too, Burgundian characteristic.

Rgds,
MC

<i>"If our life on earth is so short, why not live every day as if it were our last. This is the path to happiness and spiritual enlightenment"
Omar Khayyam 1048 -1122</b>

Paul T

Post by Paul T »

Hi Martin.

I too am a fan of Stephano Lubiana Primavera ..great value at $25. really good wine.Have you had his more expensive pinot? If so how does it compare?

Cheers

Paul

MartinC

Post by MartinC »

Hi Paul,

No, havent had their flagship. Australia's P/N is a holy grail so I never spent too much on it. I normally stick to those mid-range <$30. Tassie 9th Island is good too.

I love my P/N with Chinese cuisine such as Peking Duck or Suckling Pig. The acid cut right through the fats and the wine is delicate enough not to overpower the dish.

Bon-appetit,
MC

<i>"If our life on earth is so short, why not live every day as if it were our last. This is the path to happiness and spiritual enlightenment"
Omar Khayyam 1048 -1122</b>

Paul T

Post by Paul T »

Peking Duck....MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Great food for pinot..i totally agree Martin..

Cheers

Paul

Post by Guest »

does anyone know anything about the scotchmans hill 'norfolk' vineyard pinot?
it's about 3 times the price the regular, and I had one on monday night.

It has a nice, slightly complex nose of ripe red fruit, touch of underbrush, quite primary and very clean - maybe too clean.
On the palate, the fruit is ripe, middish acidity, threatens to turn a shade of strawberry jam - but doesn't, a touch of earth, quite good concentration, but the mid palate lacks a certain vigour or energy. The finish is long, but this is mostly acidic, the flavour profile does not continue through. very pretty wine, but the palate is a little unstructured, certainly the sevre is there to buffer the tannins, but where is the tannin?
reminded me of the 2000 vintage Volnays in some ways, pretty red fruit, except it lacked really the acid balance or tannin to drive things home. note the back label suggest cellaring for 10 years (!!!?), I'd give it 2.5 years at most.
Very well made, reminds me of the felton rd regular, lacking the earth or plummy choc character of the block 3 or 5.
Though I'd say they were aiming for Bass Phillip, and I'm not sure that's good enough at this price. (Nor is BP but's that another matter)

Suspect the price reflects the handling, low yields and expense gone into production, not the quality itself.
Could do, much, much better in Burgundy for same price - Michel Lafarge for one.

Would appreciate any info anyone had on this wine, as I tried it out of curiousity only.

Michael.

GraemeG

Post by GraemeG »

Paul T wrote:Hi Martin.

I too am a fan of Stephano Lubiana Primavera ..great value at $25. really good wine.Have you had his more expensive pinot? If so how does it compare?

Cheers

Paul

Paul,
Happy timing! I was at Lubiana CD last weekend & bought 2 of the Pinot. The 2001 Primavera I felt to be very sharp and a bit thin, perhaps for my taste. Maybe I miss the oak. The 2001 'regular' bottling (at $39 - still not pricey for pinot) had a much greater impact - some of that voluptuous velvety silkiness that I want in pinot. I was quite impressed. Incidentally, Primavera is going under screwcap (for 02 or 03, not sure which).

Was less impressed by the 03 Riesling than the 01 which I drank a year or so ago. The pinot gris I felt was also a bit bland, but the sauvignon blanc was very impressive - a little bit of grass, a little bit of passionfruit. Very nice.

cheers,
Graeme

PaulV

Post by PaulV »

Much preferred the regular Lubiana 01 pinot to the 2000 - not as butch - better middle palate and finish - very good wine.

Paul