Wineries for Red Bigots in the Lower Hunter

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
bigkid

Wineries for Red Bigots in the Lower Hunter

Post by bigkid »

Hi all.

Yes I know that there is no such thing as a good red from the Hunter..... well except maybe Lakes Folly. But my wife has arranged for a weekend in the area. Any suggestions where budding red bigots might visit around Pokolbin - we're talking real reds, cabernets and shiraz...not that insipid red wannabe pinot noir.

Our friends have suggested:

Allandale - Lovedale
Audrey Wilkinson Vineyard
Capercaillie - Lovedale
Ghost Riders
Tamberlaine
Calais
First Creek Winery - Allanmere
Kelman
Kulkunbulla
Littles
Piggs Peake
Petersons Champagne House
Petersons at Mount View
Saddlers Creek
Tower Estate

Not sure myself, I don't think I have tried any of their wares.

Regards,

Allan

manning

Post by manning »

Did the almost identical trip the weekend before. My definition of a decent red from the Hunter is "one that doesn't taste like a Hunter" - ie, doesn't have that musty, wet horse aroma/taste.

Lake's Folly was excellent, and the other surprise was Gartleman's who made a very tasty Shiraz called Wilhelm. Chatto (at the First Creek cd) made a very decent Hunter Shiraz - the mustiness is still there but has been minimised.

Audrey Wilkeson is swill, and I really didn't care for any of Tower, Capercaillie or Tamberlaine.

TORB

Post by TORB »

Allan,

Over the years I have had a number of good wines from Petersons.
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

GRB

Post by GRB »

Haven't been up there for a few years but Lindemans and McWilliams used to have there SA stuff for tasting so if you are interested in Limestone/St George/Pyrus they may be on a Lindemans. Marsh Estate also make some OK stuff in a good year but they were a bit average when I was there 6 months ago.

Glen
Winner of the inaugural RB cork-count competition
Runner up RB-NTDIR competition
Runner up TORB TN competition
Leave of absence second RB c-c competition

Red Bigot

Re: Wineries for Red Bigots in the Lower Hunter

Post by Red Bigot »

bigkid wrote:Hi all.

Yes I know that there is no such thing as a good red from the Hunter..... well except maybe Lakes Folly. But my wife has arranged for a weekend in the area.

What did you do that your wife would punish you like this? :shock:

Do you play golf or tennis? My advice is pack a good book and some decent reds/bubblies, go, play golf/tennis, read the book, dine at a couple of over-priced restaurants, pack a picnic lunch and find a nice spot to eat/drink, sweet talk your wife to get back in her good books and forget about visiting the wineries. ;-)
Cheers
Brian
Life's too short to drink white wine and red wine is better for you too! :-)

Handy

Post by Handy »

Try Thomas at the Small Winemakers Centre - across from Brokenwood. KISS shiraz very good but priced accordingly.

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

There are some pretty important ones missing from that list:

Tyrrells
Brokenwood
McWilliams

I like the wineries at the Mount View end of the valley too:

Briar Ridge
Mt View
Petersons

Meerea Park is attracting a lot of attention, I've seen a pretty stunning note on their Hell Hole Shiraz recently

Also agreed on Marsh Estate, I'm finishing up my 99's now, early drinking year but still very nice.

AB

Handy

Post by Handy »

and Keith Tulloch for the wine, Audrey Wilkinson for the view

GrahamB

Post by GrahamB »

Handy wrote:and Keith Tulloch for the wine, Audrey Wilkinson for the view

Agree on Audry's view. Forget the wines

Keith Tulloch has some good gear here. Phone ahead and Keith will do a tasting for you. The KT semillon is great (Just tasting for a friend Brian - more hail marys and 707's to follow) and should age beautifully.

Petersons on Mount View Road are good. The 03 Back Block Shiraz if there is any left. They also bring fruit in from other areas. Try some of the Glenesk juice if it is available. I received some Glenesk in a tasting pack and thought it vv good.

Also tasted a drinkable Merlot from a very small producer called Lucy's Run. I bought a few bottles of it. All gone now.

Restaurant prices I thought a bit over the top but they have to make a living.

Graham
Chardonnay: A drink you have when there is no RED wine, the beer hasn't arrived and the water may be polluted

grasshopper

Post by grasshopper »

I tried the unique 2001 "Shiraz Pressings" from Ivanhoe a couple of years back. From memory, it was quite drinkable even as a new wine and was supposed to cellar well.

Cheers,
Andrew

parb

Post by parb »

Give Marsh Estate a go.

They make 3 shiraz, Private bin(best oak, lush, rich etc) and Vat R & Vat S (lighter thab PB, but can also be good). The Vat N Cab Sav can also be good. The whites are also good esp. the semillon(s) & the the Spkl White(100% charddie). I reckon their VP (when made) is also one of the better (outside rutherglen) ones going around. It's a lighter style, similar to the way Pfeiffers is different to others in Rutherglen. Have a great trip.

Parb.

Andrew Jordan

Post by Andrew Jordan »

Definitely agree with Ric, Graham and company regarding Peterson's. Forget the champagne house, tourist trap IMO. But the cellar door on Mount View Road is definitely worth a visit. Have some great reds, and as Graham mentioned below, they will hopefully have a few of their Mudgee range on tasting.

Also worth checking out is the Boutique Wine Centre (across the road from Rothwell Estate I think) on Broke Road. They have a good range including Meerea Park (although I believe the Hell Hole shiraz is now sold out). Other favourites include Tyrrell's, Brokenwood (if you are lucky they may have the Graveyard on tasting - at least ask for it), Lakes Folly and Tempus Two is worth a visit just to have a look at the cellar door. McWilliams also for their Botrytis if you are into dessert wines - one of the best in Oz IMHO - but again you will have to ask for it.
Last edited by Andrew Jordan on Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
AJ

Cabernet is ... and will always be ... KING!

camw

Post by camw »

Definately check out the Boutique Wine Centre which does the tastings for Meerea Park. I've seen some recommendations for Chateau Pato, but you'll need to call ahead for an appointment to taste with them.

manning

Post by manning »

Brokenwood won't allow tasting of the Graveyard, and the rest of their red offerings are (IMHO) quite ordinary.

camw

Post by camw »

manning wrote:Brokenwood won't allow tasting of the Graveyard, and the rest of their red offerings are (IMHO) quite ordinary.

I've been able to wrangle a tasting of the Graveyard off them with some subtle prodding at their cellar door. If you show you are interested and not just there for free booze, you should be able to get a sample.

Andrew Jordan

Post by Andrew Jordan »

manning wrote:
Brokenwood won't allow tasting of the Graveyard, and the rest of their red offerings are (IMHO) quite ordinary.

I've been able to wrangle a tasting of the Graveyard off them with some subtle prodding at their cellar door. If you show you are interested and not just there for free booze, you should be able to get a sample.

And especially if you state that you have bought previous vintages in the past and that after reading the review from Halliday, JO, etc on the current release you were reeeeealy looking forward to trying it and perhaps adding a few bottles to your already exisiting +1,000 bottle cellar ... yada ... yada ..... yada! :wink:
Cheers
AJ

Cabernet is ... and will always be ... KING!

Gary W

Re: Wineries for Red Bigots in the Lower Hunter

Post by Gary W »

bigkid wrote:Hi all.

Yes I know that there is no such thing as a good red from the Hunter.....

Pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft. My arse.

bigkid wrote:Allandale - Lovedale
Audrey Wilkinson Vineyard
Capercaillie - Lovedale
Ghost Riders
Tamberlaine
Calais
First Creek Winery - Allanmere
Kelman
Kulkunbulla
Littles
Piggs Peake
Petersons Champagne House
Petersons at Mount View
Saddlers Creek
Tower Estate

This list rather neatly encapsulates some of the worst the Hunter has to offer. For tyre kickers and busloads of punters looking for sweet wine.

If you subscribe to WFM then read the Sep-Oct 2004 edition with the Hunter Valley Special. If you don't have it then PM me and I will email you it (I am sure Mattinson won't mind as you may feel compelled to subscribe given the quality).

My picks for Red wines (ignoring the best dry whites in Australia...)

Boutique Wine Centre
Meerea Park - 03 Alex Munro is on taste. 96 Points. Every bit good as the Hell Hole but in a bigger richer style. 03 Aunts also very good.
Glenguin - Try the 02 School House Block Shiraz.
Chateau Pato - Sold thru...

De Iullis - Some good 03 Shiraz here.

Mount Pleasant - 2000 Rosehill is beautiful.

Thomas Wine - Small winemakers centre - The 03 Kiss is now gone but the 04 is pretty good...although very oaky (winemaker is South Australian...)

Have a look at David Hook wines - 03 Pothana Shiraz

Lakes Folly 03 ...I think they managed to stuff this in a great vintage. Lets see though.

Tyrrells - 03 Vat 8 Shiraz/Cab is worth a look - not sure if you can taste if not a private bin member.

Lindemans - You can drink the Coonawarra stuff if you feel desperate enough..but I like the 04 Bin Hunter Shiraz - screwcapped and a nice medium bodied dinner style.

Scarborough - 02 Shiraz - bit sweet and savoury but a nice wine....the 03 Pinot is my pick of the reds...nice wine in a dry red style.

some other picks if you have time

Tintilla
Rothvale - Lukes and Tilda's Shiraz both lovely.
Kulkunbulla

GW

Adair

Post by Adair »

1) McWilliams Mount Pleasant: 2000 Rosehill and 2001 OP & OH for a start.

2) Boutique Wine Centre: If you can't find a good red from Robin Tedder (Glenguin) and Meerea Park, you don't have a good palate. :)

These would be my number 1 & 2 if you are looking for reds... and I go to the Hunter a lot and just spent a few hours there on Monday.

By the way, I tasted the 2003 Lake's Folly on Monday as well. Luckily they also had the 1999 on tasting, although for $50 and $60 per bottle respectively, I was not keen although I did buy one bottle of the 2003 to taste over time before I go all out criticising the wine.

Adair
Wine is bottled poetry.

Adair

Post by Adair »

I knew Gary would not be able to resist! :lol:

Good summary.

I note that JO rated the 2003 Capercaillie The Ghillie Shiraz mightly well.

Adair
Wine is bottled poetry.

bigkid

Post by bigkid »

Thanks all, this is helpful - looks like I'll have to go back for another weekend! (Joking RB!) Should be fun though - our cottage has a jaccuzzi in the bush.

Regards,

Allan