Peter Lehmann 'The Barossa' Shiraz 2002

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
grasshopper

Peter Lehmann 'The Barossa' Shiraz 2002

Post by grasshopper »

I opened a bottle of Peter Lehmann 'The Barossa' Shiraz 2002 last night. My tasting note writing skills are not quite developed so I won't even try here. However, I must say that this relative cheapie was excellent. The best way I can describe it is that it was extremely smooth and balanced with no harsh aftertaste and great flavour.

I had tried the Heartland Shiraz on the previous night and can say that the Peter Lehmann compares favourably to that.

For all the quaffer drinkers out there, this one might be worth having a crack at. I think I bought a 6 pack in a mixed case for about $12.00 each a couple of months back. I think you can get it for around $14.00 now.

If anyone else has a proper tasting note on this wine then please let me know as I'd like to see what characteristics my palate obviously enjoys at the moment.

Cheers,
Andrew

Post by 707 »

This is typical of what happens in a great vintage when almost all the fruit is of high quality. The 1998 was great here as well as was the 1998 Cabernet.

Excellent value, these wines will cellar and improve.
Cheers - Steve
If you can see through it, it's not worth drinking!

Andrew Jordan

Post by Andrew Jordan »

Steve/Andrew,

Totally agree with both of you. The 1998 Cabernet and Shiraz are both drinking very well right now. Unfortunately we are down to our last case of each. :cry: But the 2002's are just as good and have bought a few cases of each to enjoy over the next 2 - 6 years. IMHO the cabernet is the better of the two ... just.
Cheers
AJ

Cabernet is ... and will always be ... KING!

The lone gunmen

Tasting note...

Post by The lone gunmen »

Yup, its good alright. I dont really write "notes" I just remember the good ones and forget the rest. I liked its ripe berry tones and its meandering length.

bacchaebabe

Post by bacchaebabe »

I had the 98 shiraz of this the other night. Found it a bit too acoholic and disjointed and maybe just a little musty on the nose. Might have been very mildly tainted as the mustiness wasn't evident on the palate at all. At first I thought it was just bottle stink that might blow off but it didn't.

It was Ok but I wasn't super impressed as there was little fruit to speak of.
Cheers,
Kris

There's a fine wine between pleasure and pain
(Stolen from the graffiti in the ladies loos at Pegasus Bay winery)

Davo

Post by Davo »

Brief TNs from a CD tasting earlier this year

Colour - Deep Garnet lighter at the rim

Nose - Violets and vanillin oak

Palate - Mocca, vanilla, Blackberry, soft tannins, mid finish

Overall impression - excellent VFM at $18 CD price