Leasingham Bin 61 1996

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Davo

Leasingham Bin 61 1996

Post by Davo »

Still hanging strong and opening slowly over a couple of hours.

A bit of bricking at the very edge otherwise colour is still that deep garnet black.

Nose of plums and blackberry.

Heaps of drying tannins with the first glass which overwhelm the soft sweet dark fruit but with the third glass this has all come good an is beautifully balanced, or more likely the palate has become more tolerant of the tannins.
Lovely fruit in a wine that is still very youthful for its near on 10 years.

Going to be doing well in another 5 to 10. Bloody good wine for one twice the price paid at release.

PaulSheldon

Post by PaulSheldon »

The Bin 61 is certainly an old favourite of mine, but it can be a bit hit and miss after some bottle age. I recently opened a 97 and a 99. The 99 was great, much the same as the 96 you just described, but the 97 was well and truly over the hill. A friend of mine recently opened a 98 and had a similar experience to my 97. I still have a few 97, 98 and 99 left so will report on how they go over the next few months as I intend to open a few.
Paul

Davo

Post by Davo »

Paul, I am halfway through a box of the 98's and I can't say any have disappointed.
Maybe we should get together for a mini-vertical one night?

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

Agree with Davo. A great ine for the price. I opened the 94 Bin 61 and the Classic Clare the same night. We all preferred the Bin 61.

TORB

Post by TORB »

I would say "this wine used to be." Based on the last couple of vintages I have tried the wine is now very different.
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

PaulSheldon

Post by PaulSheldon »

I would be seriously interested in a mini vertical, my friend with a few in his collection has suggested it in the past but with the recent disappointments we thought maybe we would leave it. I have the 97 and 99 still (and possibly a 2000 but not sure from memory), I will check with Ken and see what he has and let you know.
Paul

Davo

Post by Davo »

Paul, I have 96s and 98s

Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Davo wrote:Paul, I have 96s and 98s

Have you tried the '02?

Davo

Post by Davo »

Yes. Tried it at CD this year. Rated as excellent but as I have not yet seen it on special anywhere have not yet bought it.

Just my opinion of course.

Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Davo wrote:Yes. Tried it at CD this year. Rated as excellent but as I have not yet seen it on special anywhere have not yet bought it.

What's a good price nowadays?

Craig(NZ)

Post by Craig(NZ) »

I thought the 1995 was a ripper of a wine too. Absolutely massive, loved it

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

Lincoln wrote:
Davo wrote:Yes. Tried it at CD this year. Rated as excellent but as I have not yet seen it on special anywhere have not yet bought it.

What's a good price nowadays?

Mostly $18-$19, maybe down to $17, looks like $14-$15 days are gone...
$25 RRP now I think.
Cheers
Brian
Life's too short to drink white wine and red wine is better for you too! :-)

PaulSheldon

Post by PaulSheldon »

I think it might even have been the 95 that originally got me into the Bin 61. That was back when it as around $14 on special.

Davo, I have secured a 00 so we now have 5 vintages, 96-00, plus I can throw in a 99 Classic Clare Shiraz for comparison.

All we need to do now is get organised :-)
Paul

Davo

Post by Davo »

The boys on *forum are organising an offline for Thursday the 27th Oct at Gavinos in Subi with a fixed menu ~ $80.

Would that occasion suit?

Or would you prefer something less formal such as a barbie at my place when the weather warms up a little?

PaulSheldon

Post by PaulSheldon »

Not being a member of *forum I don't know if there is a theme/quality of wine stipulated so I don't know if that would be appropriate. I will email you directly to discuss.
Paul