Please Help: Finding an Australian Wine Judge

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
BobFoster

Please Help: Finding an Australian Wine Judge

Post by BobFoster »

I think I had mentioned earlier that I've taken the position as director of the Pacific Rim International Wine Competition in Southern California . This show is in its 21st year and pulls about 2200 wines from the US, Canada, Mexico, Australia and New Zealand. We have always had at least one big name Aussie writer as a judge, as well as judges from Canada and Mexico. For the last few years the Australian judge has been Huen Hooke. Sadly he is unavailable for 2006. Since the competition is in early March, harvest time, I doubt we will be able to get an Australian wine maker to come up. So, what Australian wine writer would you suggest? We need a name that will cause the Australian wineries to know we have the resources to properly judge their wines. (We do have Daryl Groom, formerly with Penfolds and Lehman; and Dan Berger who judges the Sydney wine show.)

So who would you suggest? What person is a good wine judge and would be of appropriate stature that his or her participation would be an enticement for Australian wineries to participate?

smithy

Post by smithy »

8)

Aussie wine judges I'd recommend who may be able to get away during vintage.

James Halliday (You can ask anyway)

Campbell Mathieson (Australian winewriter of the year)

Max Allen

Cheers
Smithy
home of the mega-red

Post by Guest »

Hello Bob

Try having a look here:

http://www.asvo.com.au/wineshows/search.asp

There is a register of wine show judges at the site with details of their relevent experience.

Plenty of good associate judges looking for a decent break as well

All the best

manning

Post by manning »

Torb wants a free trip.

(He'll need his retinue of personal assistants of course.)

Grant

Post by Grant »

See if you can get Tom Carson. Great winemaker and has a very highly regarded palate amongst wine judges.

Also Louisa Rose, Caroline Dunn, Aaron Brasher. Iain Riggs would be perfect but not sure if you could get him.

Cheers

Grant

Post by Grant »

Sorry, forgot to read the whole post. All of those people would doubtlessly be indisposed in March.

What about Tim White?

Cheers

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

Slightly off the wall - Oz Clarke (although UK, a great fan and advocate of Aussie wines).
Ian

Post by Guest »

i have huge respect for Stuart Gregor :D