Best cabernet at around $20

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
The more the better

Best cabernet at around $20

Post by The more the better »

I am looking to buy some cabernet as I have realised that my shiraz fetish is out of hand. Although I love shiraz, I do enjoy a good cabernet for a change.

Some comments on the best value cabernet at around the $20 mark would be greatly appreciated.[b][/b]

Andrew Jordan

Post by Andrew Jordan »

Some of my favourites around the $20 mark which are still avaliable:

2002 Peter Lehmann
2002 Richard Hamilton Hut Block
2004 Red Nectar
2003 Penley Estate Phoenix
2002 Saltram Mamre Brook (although becoming hard to find)
2001 Wynns Black Label

Hope this helps

AJ

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

It's hard to get a decent cabernet under about $25.

The 2003 Penley Phoenix is Ok, just a tad simple.
2001 Wynns Black Label is Ok at the current depressed prices arouns $17-$19

Heartland Langhorne Ck-Limestone Coast Cabernet 2004 offers quality well in excess of it's $15 price.

Howard Park Leston Cabernet 2003 at around $25 is worth a try.

Majella Coonawarra cabernet 2003 has been seen on special down to about $26 or even less.

Robertsons Well Coonawarra cabernet 2003 may be worth a try as a cheap option.

Leconfield Coonawarra cabernet 2002 can be had in the low $20's and is worth a try.

Rosemount SR Cabernet 2001 has been selling under $20 case price.

Mildara White Label Coonawarra cabernet may be worth a try, but I haven't tasted the latest releases (2002/2003).
Cheers
Brian
Life's too short to drink white wine and red wine is better for you too! :-)

The more the better

thanks for that. I have had my eye on the elderton 2002 cab sav. Any thoughts ?

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

The more the better wrote:thanks for that. I have had my eye on the elderton 2002 cab sav. Any thoughts ?

Yes, I forgot about that one, definitely good value at around $20 case price.
Cheers
Brian

Staybaker

Post by Staybaker »

Another few goodies worth trying:

Murray Street 2002
Hollick 2002
Serafino 2002
Wolf Blass Heritage Release 2001

... all around the $20-22 mark.

Cheers, Staybaker. :)

roughred

Post by roughred »

Certainly the Majella drinks far beyond its price point, worth the extra $6-$8 past the $20 limit. Also look out for the Serafino Cabernet from McLaren Vale. Still some 2002 around if you look hard enough which is ridiculously good value. And dont forget good old Wynns Black Label. A proven performer in the cellar that I have seen I have seen at around $18 recently. There are also some really cheap Wynns Cab Magnums that I have seen in at Dan Murphys.

LL

Billy Bolonski

Post by Billy Bolonski »

What about the Jim Barry 'The Cover Drive'?

I have seen this down below $15 on special.
Philosophy, I'm in it for the money.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Billy Bolonski wrote:What about the Jim Barry 'The Cover Drive'?

I have seen this down below $15 on special.

Billy,

You're right, this Clare Valley / Coonawarra concoction does represent fairly good value (at rock bottom price), but I find it too medicinal. I think the '02 d'Arenberg High Trellis Cab Sauv is the best value sub $20 cab on the market, and agree with Brian and others that the '02 Elderton is worth a go too.

I know that the '02 Wolf Blass Yellow Label Shiraz (and '03) has had very good feedback around various circles, what's the Cab like?

Cheers,
Max
-----
Avant d’être bon, un vin doit être vrai

Post by Guest »

Maximus wrote:I know that the '02 Wolf Blass Yellow Label Shiraz (and '03) has had very good feedback around various circles, what's the Cab like?

Cheers,

I still haven't't got used to the merged Wolf Blass colours and varietals, I've never noticed the Yellow Label Shiraz 02, but I see the 03 advertised. I don't think the YL cab is in the same class as the other wines being mentioned here.

I don't like the JB Cover Drive much either and wasn't too impressed by the 03 High Trellis Cab when I tasted it in May.

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

Hmm, having trouble logging on today, doesn't seem to stick, that was me.
Cheers
Brian

The more the better

I really appreciate the feedback. The Serafino is one I have not tried that I am also keen on. The D'arenberg wines are also ones I have stayed away from due to various conflicting reviews. I want wines that are drinking well now and will improve over the next few years.....by which stage they will be gone.

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

Palandri is not too bad either, especially when on sale at $16

Andrew Jordan

Post by Andrew Jordan »

We had the 2002 Orlando Gramps Cabernet Merlot with BBQ Ribs last night. Wasn't too bad for under $20.

AJ

Rudy Wolf

Post by Rudy Wolf »

2002 Namre Brook
2002 Kaesler ($5 more)
2002 Turkey Flat ($5 more)
2002 Elderton
2001 Wynns Black
2002 Balgownie ($5 more)
2001 Houghtons Margaret River ($5 more)
2001 Alkoomi

The Barossa Cab are not overly varietal in 2002, but they are extremely plush any juicy in a rustic way.

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

Rudy Wolf wrote:The Barossa Cab are not overly varietal in 2002, but they are extremely plush any juicy in a rustic way.

Rudy, I thought the cool 2002 Barossa/McLarenvale vintage produced cabernets that were often more "varietal" than normal for these warm-climate regions. I didn't buy many as I still prefer MR, Coonawarra and Yarra for my Cabernet styles.

I do agree the 2002 Mamre Brook cabernet is not overly varietal, but it is a lovely wine if you can still find it, but avoid the 2003, it's not in the same class. I thought the 02 Elderton Cab had pretty good varietal character though.

I don't think I tried the 2002 Kaesler cabernet, but the current 2003 is not the best of efforts frrom that winery.
Cheers
Brian

Staybaker

Post by Staybaker »

I recommended the 2002 Murray Street Cab. Sauv. in my post above, but didn't mention how impressed I was with this wine, which seems to me to offer great value for money. I've not seen it mentioned anywhere on the boards, so was wondering if anyone else has tasted this wine?

Post by Guest »

Red Bigot wrote:
Rudy Wolf wrote:The Barossa Cab are not overly varietal in 2002, but they are extremely plush any juicy in a rustic way.

Rudy, I thought the cool 2002 Barossa/McLarenvale vintage produced cabernets that were often more "varietal" than normal for these warm-climate regions. I didn't buy many as I still prefer MR, Coonawarra and Yarra for my Cabernet styles.

I do agree the 2002 Mamre Brook cabernet is not overly varietal, but it is a lovely wine if you can still find it, but avoid the 2003, it's not in the same class. I thought the 02 Elderton Cab had pretty good varietal character though.

I don't think I tried the 2002 Kaesler cabernet, but the current 2003 is not the best of efforts frrom that winery.

RB, found my listed 2002 Barossa cabernets not overly varietal. Touches of chocolate and liquorice which I guess is varietal by Barossa standard but more akin to a cab/shiraz by overall standards.

Agree 03 Kaesler cab is average.

smithy

Post by smithy »

8)

Coverdrive was good but not stunning.
At the risk of being boring how much is the 02 Jacobs Creek Limited Release.(ie the middle 1)
Not a bad little no with good oak, varietal cab charachter, good colour and tannin.

Cheers
Smithy
home of the mega-red

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

smithy wrote:At the risk of being boring how much is the 02 Jacobs Creek Limited Release.(ie the middle 1)
Not a bad little no with good oak, varietal cab charachter, good colour and tannin.

Cheers
Smithy

The 2002 is about $11.99-$12.99 street case price and with some bonuses at some places.

Of course the 2002 and 2004 Warrabilla Reserve Cabernets are Ok to at $20, or even $30 for the luscious 2004 Parola's Cabernet. :-)
Cheers
Brian

BA

Post by BA »

Staybaker wrote:I recommended the 2002 Murray Street Cab. Sauv. in my post above, but didn't mention how impressed I was with this wine, which seems to me to offer great value for money. I've not seen it mentioned anywhere on the boards, so was wondering if anyone else has tasted this wine?

Is this the pressings ?? I tried there range and was impressed, the pressings cabernet made it into the cellar. This is a newcomer with some interesting wines and worth watching.

BA

Staybaker

Post by Staybaker »

BA wrote:Is this the pressings ??

Hmmm, not familiar with "the pressings", so no, I don't think so. But I reserve the right to be wrong!

Post by Guest »

Mamre Brook and Moodah Brook most years.

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

Anonymous wrote:Mamre Brook ... most years.

Be wary of Mamre Brook Cabernet 2003, it seems to polarise people, I hate it (tried 3 bottles) and so do quite a few others I know, whatever the case it's not nearly as good as the 96, 98, 2002 vintages of this line.
Cheers
Brian