Novice questions on 2001 Garlands Saros

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
gbrawley

Novice questions on 2001 Garlands Saros

Post by gbrawley »

I really enjoy Barossa, McLaren Vale Shiraz and Coonawarra Cabernet. Bought a bottle of the above on a suggestion from a web site. It is 88% Cab Franc from Mount Barker Western Australia. Never had cab franc before other than a small amount in a blend. Very strong bite to the wine was that the tannins? Or ??? I am fairly new to this OZ wine thing but really love the wine areas I mentioned above but this bottle will be used for cooking only. Dont want to make this mistake again. I appreciate your input as to your impressions of this wine if you have tried it. Imported from Joshua Tree. thanks :?

bacchaebabe

Post by bacchaebabe »

Personally, I've never heard of it. Might be an export only brand.

Anyone else?
Cheers,
Kris

There's a fine wine between pleasure and pain
(Stolen from the graffiti in the ladies loos at Pegasus Bay winery)

lantana

Post by lantana »

I have drunk Garlands Cabernet Franc (vintage ?) which I thought was an absolute ripper. Cab Franc has it's traditional home in the Loire Valley, Chinon & Bourgeil are appelations that come to mind, there may be others. From memory I think these wines display high acid & are best in warmer vintages where the fruit fully ripens, so the
Very strong bite
that you mention may be high acid rather than tannins, I don't think it's as tanninc as, say Cabernet Sauvignon. By the way, I remember really enjoying some Chinon & Bourgeil wines, a few years ago, they are best with food.

Hope this helps,
lantana