Come in weekly drinking reports

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
TORB

Come in weekly drinking reports

Post by TORB »

Hi Good Peoples,

Its that time of the week again. As stated in an earlier post, I had a 94 Lawson earlier in the week but last night decided to see how the 97 Lawson was maturing. The answer is its all good. In many ways, I prefered the 97 to the 94. The 97 seemes to have less oak and a better tannin structure which build slowly and then hang around for ages. They certainly are long! The flavour is also more attractive with plum, chocolate and mint. The 97 certainly seems less course and more refined than the 94. That was a bit of a surprise as 97 was not a good vintage but it looks like its a case of better winemaking.

Now what have you good peoples been drinking?
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

Post by Guest »

I only had two wines this week.

Tyrrell's Lost Block Cabernet Sauvignon 2002 - excellent quaffer at under $12

Yarra Burn Pinot Noir 1999 - boring.

Post by guest »

Two young hunter shiraz with different flavour but both very enjoyable and good VFM nothing boring with these two and didn't want either bottle to finish.
Comsumed over two nights

Meerea Park "The Aunts Shiraz" 2003
Not giving much away on the nose .The palete rich ripe fruit with some hint of spice building thoughout lovely smooth tannins great mouthfeel.
On second night initially boiled lollies then settled into darker fruit flavours.

Chateau Pato "OPV" Shiraz 2003
Sweet floral old leather nose.Nose repeated on palete Lighter in body to the Aunts same smooth tannins.
On the second night I was surpriced to find how much this wine had improved with richer fuller fruit and a hint of black pepper on the finish.

We will be looking for more 2003 Hunter on this form.

roughred

Post by roughred »

Mainly locals this week...

2003 Warrabilla Reserve Shiraz
Great aromatics.... Who needs Viognier? Lovely and rich, with all those dark berries, and violets and things that Smithy likes to cram into his wines. Fell apart after an hour or so and became quite hard and spiky, but by the next night had opened up again and drank beautifully.

1996 St Leonards "Carlyle" Cabernet
Was a knockout wine on release, and this was the last of the dozen. The wine has never fully integrated IMO, and has always been a little disjointed. A touch of VA on the nose, with some dark cherry, cassis. Still great depth of fruit, but softening to reveal earthy, leathery characters, not unlike an old Hunter Shiraz.

2002 Warrabilla Reserve Shiraz
Thought this would be a good comparison to the 03, drank earlier in the week. Drank at the local pub with a dodgy fishermans basket, not exactly a match made in heaven! Not as rich as the 03, with a more subdued nose. Well structured with some nice bitter chocolate, blood plums and dusty tannins. Great wine, drinking well now.

1999 Leasingham Bin 56 Cab Malbec
Still available through DM's for $16. Nothing outstanding, showing some subtle integration, and bottle age. A nice savoury mouthfeel, with some bitter tannins and an earthy gritty finish derived I assume from the Malbec. Dont know if this is merely reflective of vintage, or yet another instance of a once great value wine being given the corporate makeover.

LL

Post by Guest »

16 Pints of Carlton Draught Friday night.

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Hi all,

Not much of note except for a Serafino '02 McLaren Vale Cabernet.

A unknown brand to me with an unlikely fruit from a warm area this wine was ranked no. 1 cabernet in Winestate's 2004 annual "best of". Left to breath for 3 hour it was a little disappointing at first with nothing to write home about but after a few more hours it's superb fruit emerged and by gosh it was awesome. No need for heavy oak treatment the fruit strutted it's stuff with a wonderful mouthfeel. Not a cool climate style but one of the best cabernets ever to pass my lips. However it needs a lot of time in the cellar and should be more approachable in 5 years when the tannins etc have integrated. I would like to see this up against a Petaluma Coonawarra or St Hugo in a blind tasting. At around $18.00 QPR was in the red zone. One of many great cabernets from a cool year in Barossa and McLaren Vale.

Used the Penfolds '02 Koonunga Hill Shiraz in the red wine sauced which is where it belongs.

Chuck

peterk

a couple of 97s

Post by peterk »

Redbank Sallys Paddock 97
Brick red with cherry,spice and earth on the nose sweet red berry, and spices on the palate and slightly bitter on the finish. a little weedy and thin. not a patch on a bottle drank last week. Same cellar and case.?

Lakes Folly Cabernets
Correctly identified by me as a Coonawarra cab.(not) :)
dark and full colour,lovely nose wich kept opening (decanted 1 hr) over the night. Stacks of fruit Blackcurrant,blackberrys,some earth. Suprisingly light on the mid palate,powdery fine tannins with good length,I dont think the rest will fall over in the next few years. a ok wine.

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

Lindemans Limestone Ridge 1991
Very good, mostly for being in balance, rather than impressing with any one element. Worth probably twice what I paid, but don't tell the merchant!

Broughy

Post by Broughy »

2003 Chalice Bridge Cab/Sav
Sealed under screw cap, brambly nose somewhat closed. Palate pleasant range of mixed berry fruit, a little confused, very short and not overly complex. Could hardly taste any oak. Overall an acceptable drink which goes well with spicy chilli. I found it a little boring but if your not thinking about it too much it would be a good quaffer. I doubt it will change in years to come as it seems not to have the components.

Post by 707 »

Chuck wrote:Hi all,

A unknown brand to me with an unlikely fruit from a warm area this wine was ranked no. 1 cabernet in Winestate's 2004 annual "best of". Left to breath for 3 hour it was a little disappointing at first with nothing to write home about but after a few more hours it's superb fruit emerged and by gosh it was awesome. No need for heavy oak treatment the fruit strutted it's stuff with a wonderful mouthfeel. Not a cool climate style but one of the best cabernets ever to pass my lips. However it needs a lot of time in the cellar and should be more approachable in 5 years when the tannins etc have integrated. I would like to see this up against a Petaluma Coonawarra or St Hugo in a blind tasting. At around $18.00 QPR was in the red zone. One of many great cabernets from a cool year in Barossa and McLaren Vale.

Chuck

Got this in the next Blacktongues line up so I'll be interested to see how a Winestate Five Star job really rates!
Cheers - Steve
If you can see through it, it's not worth drinking!

Post by 707 »

Ian S wrote:Lindemans Limestone Ridge 1991
Very good, mostly for being in balance, rather than impressing with any one element. Worth probably twice what I paid, but don't tell the merchant!

Alot of these late 80s early 90s Lindemans "Trio" are really looking good right now. Just shows the ageing potential for good Coonawarra.

I've had the 91 Limestone recently and found it to be excellent. Well done "Father" Clayfield !
Cheers - Steve
If you can see through it, it's not worth drinking!

Kieran

Post by Kieran »

Chuck wrote:Hi all,

Chuck

Serafino is Steve Maglieri's brand since he sold off the name Maglieri to BB.

Kieran
"In the wine of life, some of us are destined to be cork sniffers." - Dilbert

Post by Guest »

Ian S wrote:Lindemans Limestone Ridge 1991

I had found it to be a little sweet for my palate when i tried it a few months ago. Did it seem sweet or jammy?

Brucer

Post by Brucer »

I tasted the Serafino 02 Cabernet at the Mclaren Vale tasting on Saturday at 60 Darling. I bought a case instantly, and it was the only wine worth buying.
Bruce

Staybaker

Post by Staybaker »

Interesting comments on the Serafino '02 Cabernet (there's an earlier thread here for those interested). Mr 707, when is the next Blacktongues tasting, and what else will be in the lineup?

Cheers, Staybaker. :)

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

[

Kieran

OK, is BB Bugs Bunny or am I just simple!!

Chuck

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Hi 707,

Respect your taste buds. Look forward to your TN's in regular slot.

Chuck

bigkid

Post by bigkid »

Hi all,

1996 Taltarni Shiraz

After a disappointing bottle of this last week we decided to give this another go. I was expecting something reasonably special - JO rates it as a 95 and in its prime drinking window.

The first bottle was a real let down. It was light bodied, something like a pinot. Very little non-descript fruit on the nose with a smokey flavor dominating. Some olives and black pepper on the palate but also some bitterness and no fruit to speak of. Any flavour that was present disappeared immediately after the wine left the mouth. Drinkable, but only just. It had been decanted for three hours.

The second bottle was a marginal improvement, violets and cherries on the nose, some faint jamminess and mild acidity on the palate, powdery tannin. The flavour didn't linger either - gone like a shot once the wine left the mouth. I had thought that the first bottle might have been slightly corked - have to be a bit unlucky to get two out of the same six pack. Either way, it's crap wine - if I'd wanted something thin and tastless, I would have bought a pinot or a chianti :D . Anyway, life's too short for crap wine - I shan't be ordering any more.

2002 Gramps Shiraz

Took up Chuck's recommendation and gave this a try on the weekend - very good value at $12.99 (rec. retail $18.99). Didn't make any notes but it was a big, bold wine, plenty of fruit and a complexity that was nowhere to be seen in the more expensive and older Taltarni. Good drinking now but with enough tannins and acid to lay down for a few years. It is getting hard to come by so I'll shall be picking up a few bottles this week.

Regards,

Allan

707 unlogged in

Post by 707 unlogged in »

Staybaker wrote:Interesting comments on the Serafino '02 Cabernet (there's an earlier thread here for those interested). Mr 707, when is the next Blacktongues tasting, and what else will be in the lineup?

Cheers, Staybaker. :)

F.nose wotz in the lineup, I'm an old bugger and bagged them up a week ago, short term memory loss etc!

Be patient, wait for the TNs from Mark or Ian.

Cheyne

Post by Cheyne »

Pulled a few wines out from the medium term cellaring list over the last week or so, some good, some disappointing and some unusual.

1999 Charles Melton Pinot Shiraz
Medium red, slightest hint of brick around the edges. Cherry and spice dominant aromas. Quite savoury on the palate, not a lot of fruit hanging about, yet still quite enjoyable. Bought this one from the CD on my first Barossa trip based on its obscurity and a curiosity of what would happen to it with a bit of age. It was quite interesting to drink, if not a little too late.

2000 Eyton on Yarra Chardonnay
Bright gold. Has developed some nutty aromas, while still retaining some melon and peach characters. Full bodied, creamy palate without tasting fat or buttery, finished with a gentle hint of acid and lingering finish. The oak did not overwhelm. I really enjoyed this, and IÂ’m still a believer in giving Chardonnay a chance to develop in the cellar.

1999 Hollick The Nectar (Botrytis Riesling)
Deep orange. Funky botrytis nose, a hint of kero behind the marmalade like aroma. Very sweet, orange peel flavours. No real acidity to prevent it from becoming cloying towards the end. Probably should have got to this one sooner, but forgot all about.

1999 Yering Station Shiraz
Medium purple. Distinctly funky, barnyardy characters here, not at all how I remember it being. Showed cool climate spice and pepper and some generous dark fruits, with mellow oak and hints of mocha. Not a lot of length however. IÂ’m still not exactly sure how I feel about this wineÂ…

Kellybrook Champagne Cider
Great nose of spiced apples and cinnamon and a amazingly refreshing on the palate. Finshes almost bone dry with searing intensity. A great palate cleanser between courses or aperitif with seafood. Bottle fermented in the Methode Champenoise style, 9% a/v. Made from Yarra Valley apples.

1997 Pepperjack Cabernet Sauvignon
No formal notes for this one. I enjoyed this, its showing it age and lesser vintage but still had a fair whack of fruit and secondary flavours picked up from the oak. At 8 years old it definitely shows up the current release Pepperjack wines which seem to have become simple, commercialized fruit bombs.

Cheers
cheyne

prester john

Post by prester john »

Cheyne,

It is interesting that you chose to do a TN on the Kellybrook cider experience. They do some wonderful things with those apples. I'm surprised more people don't take advantage of their cider.

PJ.

Kieran

Post by Kieran »

Chuck wrote:[

Kieran

OK, is BB Bugs Bunny or am I just simple!!

Chuck

Umm...Beringer Blass

Kieran
"In the wine of life, some of us are destined to be cork sniffers." - Dilbert

Yalumba Signature 1997

Post by Guest »

Still needs a little time - blackcurrant coming through- I may need to buy a little more of this

Post by Guest »

How about something thrown into the mix that's different than most of the posts you'll see on this forum? I only started building a cellar a few years ago and living in the US, I don't have access to the wide variety of OZ wines you have managed to cellar over the years. And being relatively new into the game, I'm still trying to educate a worn palate to learn when wines taste like sweaty saddles, worn sneakers, cricket ball covers, fish gills, bubblegum, blueberries, or chocolate peanutbutter. You'll find this as a rather bland attempt at a proper TN, but remember, I'm learning!!

My job takes me hither and yon, and a few years back I picked up two bottles in South Africa from a small, well regarded producer, kinda similar to the Barossa gems 707 introduced me to last year. The winery was Veenwouden, and the wine was a '96 Merlot. Many of the merlots I find at home are kind of average tasting, run-of-the-mill efforts. This had a much bigger flavour than expected. The wine was still young, with the tannins still having a bite, and in fact it seemed even more tannic after being open for 2-3 hours. There was plenty of good fruit coming through. I should have decanted the bottle as there was some sediment, some flaky stuff, both when I opened the bottle and then near the end. This bottle was a pleasant surprise, and I gave it 8 out of 10 (I'm a stingy scorer!).

I know most of the wines described here are Aussie, but I thought it might be interesting to write about something a bit unusual. There are a whole lot of really nice wines out there in this wide world of ours! We all need to spread our wings a little and try something different.

Mike M

Post by Mike M »

Sorry, but I forgot to sign in when doing the post. Now I'm legal, so to speak.

Mike
Wine is a never-ending education

peterk

Mt Langi Ghiran Shiraz 1997

Post by peterk »

clean red/purple colour
sweet red fruit nuances,cherry,spice and some earth. a nice nose.
white pepper,spice cherryand a hint of leather on the palate somewhat Craiglee.long length light and sweet on finish but by no means diluted. soft fine tannins drinking well. a good wine. go that cool climate shiraz. :wink:

Post by Guest »

A couple of wines this week. I'm still a bit stuffy after the flu, so not many tasting notes.

2002 Alana Estate Martinborough Pinot Noir: I think I drank this a little early, but still fantastic.

2002 Annies Lane Riesling: Under development and has changed colour to a darker straw. Drinking very well now and unlikely to live past 2007.

2003 Coldstream Hills Pinot Noir: Very delicious, but not in the league of the Alana. I am looking for a lot more pinot in this price range, so I may pick up a few. I have the 2002 and I think I'll leave them until at least 2007. I am open for suggestions for Pinot in the $15 to $25 range.

2001 Nautilus Pinot Noir: picked up at a local botto for about $23. Thoughly enjoyable. Drink now. I do need more NZ pinot!

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Anonymous wrote:A couple of wines this week. I'm still a bit stuffy after the flu, so not many tasting notes.

2002 Alana Estate Martinborough Pinot Noir: I think I drank this a little early, but still fantastic.

2002 Annies Lane Riesling: Under development and has changed colour to a darker straw. Drinking very well now and unlikely to live past 2007.

2003 Coldstream Hills Pinot Noir: Very delicious, but not in the league of the Alana. I am looking for a lot more pinot in this price range, so I may pick up a few. I have the 2002 and I think I'll leave them until at least 2007. I am open for suggestions for Pinot in the $15 to $25 range.

2001 Nautilus Pinot Noir: picked up at a local botto for about $23. Thoughly enjoyable. Drink now. I do need more NZ pinot!

Forgot to login.. that was me!

Post by Guest »

01 Chapel Hill Shiraz - Bouquet hints at trouble with cedar oak going in to bat first. Looked at the label, you're joking, surely not, 27 months in Am. and Fr. oak. Must have been 3rd hand oak I'm thinking to myself. CH report vanilla... nope cedar. Fruit is better on the palate all plums and dark cherry but it's never going to make it. For tree eaters this would be okay if it weren't for the bandaids that cover the fruit. Blech! Bandaids blew off a bit and it became drinkable, but not for me, still too much wood. $15 81/100

cheers,
Simm

TORB

Post by TORB »

Simm,

If it makes you feel any better, its $28 at cellar door. :roll:

FWIW, I didn't notice bandaids when I tried it but I did find the consistency "hard" and generally the wine not very attractive.
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine