Under $10 reds.

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Ratcatcher

Under $10 reds.

Post by Ratcatcher »

What do people buy under $10?

I enjoy a glass of white but I honestly can't tell the difference between a $12 bottle and a $50 bottle so it's an absolute waste of money for me spending big $ on whites so I usually stick to the $6 - $12 range.

Hanwood Chardonnay, Windy Peak, Jacobs Creek, Lindemans Bin, Siegersdorf, Peter Lehmann, Houghtons etc and I keep an eye out for Elizabeth, Tahbilk Marsanne and the odd discounted Riesling. All great drinking in whites IMHO. I've tried Petaluma and Bannockburn etc and while I'm sure they are much better I can't see that they are 5 times better in the way a $50 red is (generally) clearly 5 times better than a $10 red.

Which leads me to the point of my posting. What about reds?

What do people think is a good quaffer/cooking red for $10 and under? And include those ones that are normally $12 - $15 that are regularly discounted to $10 and under.

When I'm looking for a office party red or a cheap red to slosh in a casserole that I'm happy to drink a glass of to finish off the bottle I think:

Sacred Hill, Hanwood, Bastion, Stepping Stone,

What are the others out there that won't rip the taste buds of your tongue on the way down?

Post by Guest »

La Font French Merlot $7. Best wine under $15 for my tastes though you need to hurry up and get the 03 as the 04 is not as good. I think there could have been some hail damage in that part of France in 04 so this could be the reason. I have already bought 60 bottles of the 03 thats what a bargain I beleive it is.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote: I have already bought 60 bottles of the 03 thats what a bargain I beleive it is.

Variety is the spice of life...

Post by Guest »

Ha Ha agree totally there are'nt too many wines that I have more than a couple of bottles of however for $7 and maybe even upto $15 nothing gets close.

bigkid

Post by bigkid »

Ratcatcher,

I was drinking whites for years until I got my gout under control.

A couple of years ago I bought a pallet of Eliot Rocke Estate 2001 unwooded chardonnay (12 cases - OK, OK, I know, I'm a bit of a piss pot - but I suspect one or two others on this forum are also given the length of some of the posts in Ric's Sunday Drinking List).

I got it for about $5.50 a bottle when it retailed for $11-12 because it was the end of a run before they changed livery - new labels etc. I got a pallet because delivery for 12 cases was about $50 but delivery for 11 cases was over $100 - go figure. It is a quaffable drop, melon fruits and a bit of the malolactic thing going on. I haven't touched it since I have been on the red again. I have a case and a half left, happy to send it to you for the freight. Email me if you are interested - If not, no probs.

Regards,

Allan

Shiraz Man

Post by Shiraz Man »

I like the Deakin Estate Shiraz year in year out. The Deakin Estate Chardonnay is also very good, usually with lovely melon, and tropical fruit flavours.

I have also been very impressed with the last few releases of McWilliams Hanwood Shiraz.

Kieran

Post by Kieran »

Under $10 isn't that bad. Aside from auction specials and cellar door clearances, Annie's Lane has been discounted that low; Jacob's Creek Reserve goes pretty close with magnum deals; Wynn's Red Stripe/Shiraz go close. And there's the Long Flat regional range, Windy Peak and St Hallett Gamekeepers. And some of the better cleanskins from reputable dealers.

Kieran
"In the wine of life, some of us are destined to be cork sniffers." - Dilbert

MatthewW

Post by MatthewW »

Others that are in that range at times and at times have been good include the Leasingham Bastion reds, the Stonehaven stepping stone cab sav, the Seppelt Victorian reserve shiraz, Hardys Oomoo, the occassional cleanskin such as the Trevor Mast shiraz and a shiraz/viognier I got from one of the chains.

Matthew

BA

Post by BA »

Ratty,

The Huntington Estate HB (home bottling) reds are unbeatable. It's a mailing list only, and they sell it in bulk containers, or for $98/case. Can be a little vintage dependant, but the good years really blow away all the cheap riverland reds.

cheers
BA

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

On my budget you have to look out for good $15 wine on special particularly 2002 where the fruit is good. Try Yalumba Mawsons Cabernet. Superb fruit from the newly emerging Wrattenbully area near Coonawarra. Or Leasingham Bastions '02 Cabenet - again great fruit that needs little else and Steppingstone '02 Cabernet - young over irrigated fruit but well made.

Chuck

Christo

Post by Christo »

Sub $10 - pennies Koununga Hill range, especially the Shiraz Cab... cellars well for a few years. My 98's are fantastic 2002... should hold a few years as well.

$10-12 - dont mind the metala shiraz cab as a quaff as well.
c
"You are what u drink!"

gobblemonster

under $10

Post by gobblemonster »

i reckon the 2003 Angoves Limited Release [proves they have a SOH!] Petit Verdot is pleasant and well worth finding. good fruit, a little backbone and stelvin seal. it may not be heaven in a bottle but for around $8 [at my local Ritchies] and IF your not a snob, you can't really go wrong. yes agreed, both Deakin and Zilzie Estate[Tempranillo] make decent budget vino also.

roughred

Post by roughred »

I've recently discovered the cheap international aisle of our local (insert name of large national grog chain here). Have really been enjoying some cheeky little Italians from the Zonin range, such as the Negromano and Primitivo. At about $8 they are food friendly and not simple and over confected. Have had similar success with some Tempranillo's and Garnacha's from Spain, all sub $10.

Post by Guest »

When on special all are sub $10 and quality stuff:

Leasingham Bastion - straight cabernet and shiraz/cabernet blend. Exceptional value. '02 fruit is good.

Pennies Koonunga Hill - Shiraz and Shiraz/Cabernet blend.

Yalumba Mawsons Wrantanbully Cabernet.

Steppingstone Coonawarra Cabernet.

Pirramimma Stocks Hill Shiraz.

With Shiraz all the rage now quality Cabernets and blends are great buying.

Chuck

action2096

Post by action2096 »

IMHO you tend to get a much better QPR if you can edge into the $10-12 range rather than the sub $10

A few that can often be found in this range that i reckon are pretty good would include

Jacobs Creek Reserve
Ingoldby
Seppelts Victoria
Yalumba Barrosa 02 ( Down as low as $12 )
Mcwilliams Phillip (Only if you like Hunter Shiraz though)
Gramps 02 Might be a push but i'm pretty sure i've seen it around at approx $13-14 with 13 to the dozen

If your looking to buy right now vintage cellars have the Maglieri at 2 bottles for $20 which i reckon is about a good a deal as you'll get anywhere

mphatic

Re: under $10

Post by mphatic »

gobblemonster wrote:i reckon the 2003 Angoves Limited Release [proves they have a SOH!]

Limited.... to the amount that they can sell

smithy

$10 reds

Post by smithy »

8)

Guys,

Has anybody tried my $10 cellarclub 04 Shiraz/Durif.
I love it, but would love to get some feedback.
Over half of it sold in the first week.

Cheers
Smithy
home of the mega-red

Red Bigot

Re: $10 reds

Post by Red Bigot »

smithy wrote:8)

Guys,

Has anybody tried my $10 cellarclub 04 Shiraz/Durif.
I love it, but would love to get some feedback.
Over half of it sold in the first week.

Cheers
Smithy

Andrew, I unscrewed the cap on one last night, we are finishing it tonight, with a fiery Texas chilli dish that has been maturing since I made it on Tuesday. I don't know how you get so much juicy fruit in one bottle, it is just bursting out, but not at all jammy or over-ripe. The nose is a little more subdued the second night, but the fruit is still all there on the palate, no sign of heat from the 15% a/v, no rough edges, just lacks a little of the viscosity and body of the Reserves/Parola's. I think I will have 12 happy friends who shared an 11-case buy of this, a real bargain at $10, thank you.
Cheers
Brian
Life's too short to drink white wine and red wine is better for you too! :-)

Jakob

Post by Jakob »

Under $10, I tend to go for mega-specials, or the less popular varietals, or regions, just to try something new. Try a Petit Verdot, Durif or plain Malbec, for example? While you won't get a great wine, you're more likely to find something interesting than with a Cabernet, Shiraz or Merlot at that price point.

Post by Guest »

Yeah Couldnt agree more. Its the lesser known varities that will always be at a fairer price. Most wineries can clear shiraz at higher prices.

Davidc

cheap reds

Post by Davidc »

I reckon the best way to acheive good $10 reds is to buy a mixed case from one of the big discounters.

If you get something like the Siegersdorf Riesing at about $6/blt with some other $8-10 whites and then throw in some Seppelt Chalambar or Mamre Brook etc at $18.50 you average down to around the $10 mark.

Cheers
David

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

Anonymous wrote:Yeah Couldnt agree more. Its the lesser known varities that will always be at a fairer price. Most wineries can clear shiraz at higher prices.

Not these days, there is a huge excess of cabernet and shiraz, mainly (but not all) from youngish wines, lots of crap, but some real gems if you look hard enough and usually much better than the early efforts with odd varieties that were planted in the wrong place and badly made or from a bad vintage. The good examples of the less common varieties still attract a reasonably good price, some from novelty value, some because the are actually very good wiines.
Cheers
Brian
Life's too short to drink white wine and red wine is better for you too! :-)