TNS: Rockford – 6th October 2003

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Adair

TNS: Rockford – 6th October 2003

Post by Adair »

Hello All,

Sorry PeterP for not posting under your thread. I have a separate point to make so I prefered to post a new thread.

Popped into Rockford yesterday and thought I should give you a quick report of what I found, especially as the 2001 Basket Press was released to Stonewallers over the weekend.

First, Angela is 7 & ½ months pregnant!

Other points:

NV PN/Chardonnay Bubbles ($16): Restrained style – something not expected from the Rockford. Long with fine bubbles and good acid. Excellent winemaking but needs fruit to develop - probably will with time. Recommended with room for higher rating in 12 months. Excellent value now, and probably amazing in 12 months.

2001 Eden Valley Riesling ($17.50): Did not show much typical Riesling floral and lime fruit but this is not the style. This is broad and extractive/phenolic. Excellent balancing acidity. Will age very well. Interesting wine that is Highly Recommended.

2000 Semillon ($16.50): 12 months old oak. Very broad, smooth and mouthfilling. Sweetened butter. Again not much primary fruit but excellently balanced. Given the Barossa Semillion style, this wine is also Highly Recommended.

2003 White Frontignac ($12.50): Not my style but killed the Grant Burge WF for balance. Recommended, if you like the sweeter style.

2003 Alicante Bouchet ($15): Although not my style, I can really appreciate this wine. So cherry and so smooth. Beautifully integrated acidity. The absence of skin contact really makes a difference. I felt that this was a touch sweeter than the 2002. Recommended, if you like the style. I rated the 2002 Excellent. The sugar in the 2003 is slightly out of balance.

1999 Moppa Springs (GSM) ($21.50): One of the few GSMs I like to drink. 1999 was apparently a great Grenache year for quality and quantity and there is still a fair bit of this stuff left. Smooth, savoury and balanced. Highly Recommended - a huge rating from me for a Grenache.

2000 Rod & Spur (Shiraz/Cabernet Sauvignon) (2001 is $32): Too much reliance on oak sweetness. Maybe not enough fruit to balance the oak. Either way, not my "cup of tea", and definitely not in this company.

1997 Cabernet Sauvignon ($35): Really starting to shine. Awesome broad palate with liquorice flavours coming out of the ripe Barossa fruit. With great underlying structure and length. Excellent. Re-release. No label changes.

2001 Cabernet Sauvignon to be released tomorrow ($32).

2001 Basket Press Shiraz ($43): Bottled only last week and as such is not really fair to provide a full tasting note BUT its fruit ripeness, mouthfilling fruit explosion, intensity and complexity showed that it was a top-notch BP and much better than the 2000. The only issue was a lack of a middle palate but I put this down to bottle shock. I am confident enough to rate this Excellent.

NV Black Shiraz August 2003 Disgorgement ($53): Heaven in a bottle. Fruit, spice and bubbles go on forever. Noticeable sweetness but this is consistent with the style and its age. Outstanding. A great disgorgement.

1997 VP Shiraz: This wine has really changed over the past 6 months. I originally rated this wine below the 1996 but the "roughness" of this wine has settled down and the fruit and spice is shining. The structure now carries the very luscious fruit for miles without being the feature. The fortification is hardly noticeable. Outstanding.

Real reason for writing this piece: I visited Rockford with my boss. I was actually working in the Barossa over the long weekend. Yes, believe it! My boss is, relatively, a wine novice. We visited Grant Burge the previous day. He did not buy a thing. I walked out with only one bottle, a 1999 Eden Valley Shiraz - one of the trial wines. Anyway, my boss was absolutely blown away with Rockford's wines. So was I. Except for the 2000 Rod & Spur, all the wines are mouthfilling experiences without cloying the palate. All the wines are balanced, even the ripe 2001 Basket Press. More importantly, all the wines are interesting. They have personality. They do not feel as it they were made to a formula. Subsequently, my boss and I spent more money on Rockford wines yesterday than we care to reveal to our wives. :) :)

My point: It has been suggested that the reason Stonewallers love Rockford wines so much because we feel so privileged to be Stonewallers. This is incorrect. My boss had never heard of Rockford and walked out thanking me for taking him there as he found out why the Barossa was known as such a great wine region. This was even after he parted with a considerable amount of his hard earned. More importantly, I walked out of there happy that I had tasted some exceptional Barossa wines as well as feeling privileged that I had done so!!!

Adair
Last edited by Adair on Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PeterP

Post by PeterP »

Great notes Adair - although I did not agree with the Black Shiraz assessment. Maybe the bottle that we tasted from was too cold??

I too have a story that adds to the power of the service and quality of Rockfords. I was there on Friday (and Saturday) with my 19 year old son who really does not give a fig for any wine or alcoholic beverage for that matter. But after the incredible attention we received from Jo (Joanne) and the lengths that she went to to explain to my son the differences in styles and methods of making each wine, he was totally won over. He now wants to write a letter to Rockfords to thank them for an amazing experience.

Peter

Paul T

Rockfords..my favourite cellar door

Post by Paul T »

..there are many reasons to feel priveledged to be a Stonewaller..but just the opportunity to have access to their great wines is reason enough.Rockfords is easily the warmest, most friendly cellar door i have visited..i fell in love with it the first time i visited as a wine novice..and have returned many times since. Nothing gets me more excited than recieving my new allocation of my various favourites..rubs hands with glee with anticipation. Glad too see you love the Moppa springs..a great drop..but i do like the Rod and Spur..different strokes for different folks i guess.

Paul T

Post by Guest »

I have spoken to the winery and was told that even if you visit the cellar door you will not be able to buy Basket Press shiraz unless you are a stonewaller. Is that true? Thanks.

PeterP

Post by PeterP »

Yes that is correct - not released to the public until March 2004 I think.

Jamie

Post by Jamie »

Has the Stonewaller's newsletter arrived? I got the one re magnums but what of 01 BP?

Post by Guest »

Adair,

From your post, it sounds like your boss (not a stonewaller) managed to get some BP shiraz from cellar door. I might be wrong.

Bob Sherwood

Rockford...

Post by Bob Sherwood »

I mostly read AusWine for insight and hints as to what to buy/look for in The States.

I've got a few bottles of Rockford Pinot Noir, none of which I've opened yet. TN's and the experience described at Rockford make me want to jump on a plane but someone help me to understand what a "Stonewaller" is/means ? I'm not trying to join but just curious.

Thanks.

radioactiveman

Re: Rockford...

Post by radioactiveman »

Bob Sherwood wrote:
help me to understand what a "Stonewaller" is/means ?

Thanks.

Bob,

I guess you could say that a member of the Rockford Stonewall Society has been/is still a loyal and long term customer of the winery. To quote the very first Stonewall newsletter, " The majority of our wine is sold to long-term mail order customers who now make up the membership of the Rockford Stonewall Society."

As a member you get first access to new releases, access to back vintages and some special run wines at cellar door, advanced notice of any special events held at the winery and so on. Many wineries have this type of special membership, but in Rockfords case I guess it has been formalised. Just another aspect of their very personalised service.

Hope this helps

Jamie

Adair

Post by Adair »

Hello All,

Great to see comments on Rockford. To reply to a few of the comments:

To Bob Sherwood - I think the Pinot Noir you have is Rochford (Victoria, Macedon I think - cool climate), not Rockford. Rockford does not have a Pinot Noir in its range. The Barossa Valley is too hot for the grape variety although I did try one from Viking Wines and it was pretty good - very big, of course, but quite silky. The Rochford is not a bad drop either.

To Guest (and I wish you would post your name) - You are correct. My boss was allowed to buy the standard "Stonewallers'" allocation of the 2001 BP. However, this was only because he was with me in the Stonewallers' Room. They do not mind if you are with a Stonewaller. I did however see a Stonewaller as I left bring a group, say 6 friends, into the Stonewallers' Room. I would doubt that each of them would be allowed to buy 6 bottles. The place is very friendly and reasonable.

Jamie - Angela said that the newsletters were sent out over the weekend. I have not received mine yet but I think I would have by the end of this week.

Radioactiveman/PeterP - just want to reiterate your personalised/excellent service comments: After we had finished, Angela looked through her folder of restaurants in the Valley and thought about which restaurant would be best for lunch considering that we had a 2 year old with us who was very active. Then she brought out a map and drew the best way to get there, then gave us 2 bottles to have over lunch! On previous occassions, Angela arranged private tastings at Peter Lehmann and Veritas after we visited Rockford. Yes, the service is excellent.

PeterP - A question that you need not reply to due to its obsurity (actually, you need not reply to any question), what are you favoured Rockford Black Shiraz disgorgements? I rated the August 2003 based on a bit of faith. It was quite sweet and maybe a little simple at the moment but the expolsion in the mouth of this sweet and quite pure fruit was pretty amazing. I am sure this wine will change a fair bit but considering, by my calculation, this disgorgement is made up of a lot of the 1998 BP, I can understand why the richness and length is there now and know that the complexity will come with time.

Kind regards,
Adair

Bob Sherwood

Post by Bob Sherwood »

Adair,

You're right the PN is Rochford (Victoria, Macedon). Teach me to type before I think... sorry.

Adair

Post by Adair »

Bob Sherwood wrote:Adair,

You're right the PN is Rochford (Victoria, Macedon). Teach me to type before I think... sorry.

To be honest, in my early wine days, I actually made this same mistake and told my father that I tried the Rockford Pinot Noir.

Adair

michaelw

Stonewallers

Post by michaelw »

Just out of curiosity, how long does one have to wait to become a Stonewaller? I've been on the mailing list for a few years now and was just wondering
Ciao,

michaelw

You know it makes sense!

Adair

Re: Stonewallers

Post by Adair »

michaelw wrote:Just out of curiosity, how long does one have to wait to become a Stonewaller? I've been on the mailing list for a few years now and was just wondering

Sorry, can't help. I took over my father's membership. I understand that he was a mailing list member pretty early in the piece.

The person next to me said that he has been waiting 15 years. I took this to be a joke but he was obviously expressing that it was a long time either way.

Out of interest, I have the number "31" as my membership number. I understand that this number indicates how long you have been a Stonewaller. The smaller the number (ie. 30 is smaller than 31), the longer you have been on the mailing list (or the earlier you started to be a member).

Does any Stonewaller have a smaller number than "31" and, if so, when did you get on the mailing list? My father does not remember but he thinks 1986.

Kind regards,
Adair

Popov

Post by Popov »

Guys,

I only recently sent an email to join the mailing list and enquired about the "Stone Wallers" and was told that it would take approximately 3 years or so to to become part of that exclusive group.
I get my first newsletter next month and will start counting down the days from there :wink:
Cheers
Popov

PeterP

Post by PeterP »

Adair - my no. is 30 as a matter of coincidence. Although I didn't think that it was a sequential no. of the no. of members listed at that time, as I joined when Rockfords was already going for a few years - I joined in '87 I think.

Peter

Red Bigot

Membership code

Post by Red Bigot »

Guys, I think the number on the end of your membership code is simply a sequence number to differentiate between members with the same first 5 characters of the surname, which is the first part of the membership code. Mine is 01 and I didn't join until about 1990.

Got my newsletter and order form today.
Cheers
Brian
Life's too short to drink white wine and red wine is better for you too! :-)

Dig

Post by Dig »

My understanding is that everyone who was on the mailing list two years ago automatically became a 'Stone Waller' and recieved their key-ring and number and all was good with the world. I thought that subsequent new mail-list custermers became SW's by default. Is that not the case? Any mail-list ppl out there that aren't SW's?

michaelw

Stone Waller

Post by michaelw »

Well I can shed some light on the subject. I got home this afternoon and had a lovely letter in the post.

It contained my Stone Wall membership tag and associated order form and newsletter. This is the 3rd year I have been a customer, so DIg your theory looks like it's on the money!

This marks the beginning of a (hopefully) beautiful relationship.
Ciao,

michaelw

You know it makes sense!

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Congratulation Michael.

What are the prices this year?

BP, Black Bubbles and the Eden Valley riesling most notably.

Cheers.

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

BP $43 (up $2), Black Shiraz $53 (unchanged), EV Riesling $17.50 (unchanged)
Cheers
Brian
Life's too short to drink white wine and red wine is better for you too! :-)

Adair

Post by Adair »

After investigation, it seems that the number at the end of your surname that makes up your Stonewaller membership number has NO correlation to when you became a Stonewaller.

Like michaelw, a friend found out that they had become a Stonewaller yesterday and their number was "surname"21.

So, unless they are being tricky and using some algorithm, it is no more than an identifier.

Adair

George Krashos

Post by George Krashos »

There have been more "Stonewallers" added this year as I understand than in previous years. For a couple of reasons. People who have been on the waiting list-mailing list for a long time have been bumped up to the big leagues, there has been some culling of mailing list customers who haven't ordered in years, and of course, people die .... :wink:

Another reason may be the new set-up that Rockford is in the process of building - alluded to in the newsletter. The old Stonewallers cellar door area (actually a revamped 'overflow' cellar door area) is going to be incorporated with the existing cellar door to make a bigger one. A new Stonewallers cellar is being built near the gates that lead to the amenities in the big back shed. More room may mean more Stonewallers.

For comparisons sake, I am a "29" but only got on the Mailing List in 1999. I was fortunate to be bumped up very swiftly due to regular visits to the winery (on average we go up there every 4-6 weeks), successfully coping with a searching 'chat' with David Kalleske in cellar door one day ("No, we don't sell our wine, we drink it ..."), and I think everyone fell in love with my wife!

My wife and I do feel like part of the extended Rockford family simply because it (along with Charlie Melton) provides wonderful service, a great product and when they get to know you, they make you feel special. Of course, going to lots of Rockford events over the years has helped also. Highlights were the now defunct Chesser Vines picnics, an awesome magnum dinner at the Melting Pot (Rockford actually do their Eden Valley and Vine Vale riesling in magnums - Chris puts away a very few every year), and a Stonewaller dinner at the winery which served up a '76 Shiraz Cabernet made by Robert and a few mates because they had the grapes. As I understand it, they controlled the ferments by chucking in bags of ice ... ahhh, the wonders of Barossa technology!

We feel fortunate, but we support Rockford stridently, send lots of our friends their way and 'spread the word'. I just feel sorry for those Rockford devotees who live interstate or overseas and can't get down to the winery all that often.

-- George Krashos

Muscat Mike

Post by Muscat Mike »

" successfully coping with a searching 'chat' with David Kalleske in cellar door one day ("No, we don't sell our wine, we drink it ...") "

George,
I do not know how long ago you spoke to David Kalleske but they have been selling wine for some time now,mainly O.S. I bought some of their 2002 Shiraz which is WOW. :D
Troy, I think he is the youngest, is the winemaker. The first vintage was 1999.
MM.

George Krashos

Post by George Krashos »

The David Kalleske I'm referring to is the General manager at Rockford. I think there is another Barossa winemaker/owner with a similar name whom I assume you are referring to. Which 2002 shiraz are you talking about?

-- George Krashos

darren C

Post by darren C »

I am number 67, got in about 2 months ago.

Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Adair wrote:After investigation, it seems that the number at the end of your surname that makes up your Stonewaller membership number has NO correlation to when you became a Stonewaller.

Like michaelw, a friend found out that they had become a Stonewaller yesterday and their number was "surname"21.

So, unless they are being tricky and using some algorithm, it is no more than an identifier.

Adair

Correct. I had this explained to me on the weekend: originally, they started at 30, and then changed to working forwards from 01 or was it backwards from 29, and then probably started forwards from a number greater than 40. I got very confused, or was it that gorgeous 97 VP. I'm a "34" and joined around 1988.

Lincoln

Re: TNS: Rockford – 6th October 2003

Post by Lincoln »

Adair wrote:I walked out with only one bottle, a 1999 Eden Valley Shiraz - one of the trial wines.

I'm very interested in this wine - where's the vineyard? Is it the one on Tanunda Valley Road??

Adair

Post by Adair »

Lincoln wrote:I had this explained to me on the weekend: originally, they started at 30, and then changed to working forwards from 01 or was it backwards from 29, and then probably started forwards from a number greater than 40. I got very confused, or was it that gorgeous 97 VP. I'm a "34" and joined around 1988.

Thank you Lincoln,

That now all makes sense. Angela said a few years ago that the number "31" meant that I was an early member and the fact that you are a "34" and joined around 1988 is in line with my father remembering that he (we) joined in 1986.

Mystery solved!

Thanks again,
Adair

P.S. Yes, that 97 VP is sensational and you would have lost interest in the Stonewaller conversation after putting it in your mouth. :)

Post by Guest »

Adair wrote:P.S. Yes, that 97 VP is sensational and you would have lost interest in the Stonewaller conversation after putting it in your mouth. :)

Actually also had the '87 Peter Lehmann King Port on the weekend too - that is a very very very smart wine.