Orlando St Hugo 2002 & Petaluma Coonawarra 2002

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Petaluma

Orlando St Hugo 2002 & Petaluma Coonawarra 2002

Post by Petaluma »

Just wondering when these wines will be realesed and if theres been any pre tastings?

Post by Guest »

Haven't seen either of them yet but noticed the 2001 St.Hugo has had a price drop which may mean Orlando are having trouble moving it. Their policy seems to be not to release a vintage until the previous one is fully sold, hence the reason we haven't seen the 1998 Centenary Hill, because they can't sell the 1997.

2002 is a good vintage in Coonawarra although not in the stellar category that many are rating Barossa, Clare, McV and much of Victoria.

Post by Guest »

I have been watching StHugo drop in price for a while also. Leoconfield has dropped about 30% in the past 12 months is it mainly Coonawarra wines?
I would have thought Petaluma 01 would be selling near its usual, though not in the class od 97,98 its not a bad drop for its discounted price of about $41.

Centenary Hill should be the goods cant wait for what will be one of the last 98's released.

Post by Guest »

Everyone is having a price drop to maintain market share.

One I've bought up big on is the 2002 St.Hallett Blackwell, about $8-10 cheaper this year. Peter Lehmann Shiraz and Cabernet have dropped back a few bucks too so I've snaffled those as well.

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

Anonymous wrote:I have been watching StHugo drop in price for a while also. Leoconfield has dropped about 30% in the past 12 months is it mainly Coonawarra wines?
I would have thought Petaluma 01 would be selling near its usual, though not in the class od 97,98 its not a bad drop for its discounted price of about $41.

Centenary Hill should be the goods cant wait for what will be one of the last 98's released.

Had a bottle each of Petaluma Coonawarra 98 and St Hugo 98 recently, though not on the same day. Huge difference in styles but both very good/excellent wines. The french oaked Petaluma more restrained, the american oaked, riper St Hugo a true crowd-pleaser.

daz

TORB

Post by TORB »

In terms of pricing, the 01 St Hugo has been on special at selcted retailers for $27.99 since it was released and I have yet to see it for less.

Orlando releases when the previous vintage is sold out, as does Petaluma so the dates can be when ever..... The 01 St Hugo has been out for close to year but that does not mean anything.
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

Anonymous wrote:
2002 is a good vintage in Coonawarra although not in the stellar category that many are rating Barossa, Clare, McV and much of Victoria.

First time 've seen 02 Coonawarra described this way. Most are calling it poor - SA was very cool in 02 which was a blessing for Barossa/McLaren but a curse for Coonawarra - so cold they had ripening troubles. Only liked a couple of Coona Cabs from 02, Parker and Leconfied I think.

AB

Kieran

Post by Kieran »

Hollick is good too.

Kieran
"In the wine of life, some of us are destined to be cork sniffers." - Dilbert

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

I thought the Majella had good QPR as well.
Max
-----
Avant d’être bon, un vin doit être vrai

Post by Guest »

Petaluma Coonawarra 02 is now around if you know where to look.

JDSJDS

Post by JDSJDS »

I tasted several 2002 Coonawarra wines at cellar doors recently, and the cabs in particular often had a capsicum (green) note to them. I'm not a fan of this profile, so I'm treading carefully here in this vintage.

Handy

Post by Handy »

JDSJDS wrote:I tasted several 2002 Coonawarra wines at cellar doors recently, and the cabs in particular often had a capsicum (green) note to them. I'm not a fan of this profile, so I'm treading carefully here in this vintage.

Totally agree - I found the same thing with many of the 02 Coonawarra cabs I tried at Wine Australia. Not excited about many of the WA cabs either from 02, may just skip buying any cabs from 02 at all.

I spoke to a Petaluma rep in Sydney today who said there will be tastings at several wine shops around the city on Saturday of the new Petaluma releases for the official release. I imagine this will be the case in other cities around Australia.

Post by Guest »

The Majella is pretty good for its price.

Deano

Post by Deano »

If in Adelaide tomorrow, the Edinburgh Hotel in Mitcham are having Petaluma tastings in their cellar tasting room.
Cheers

Post by Guest »

Wont be there but if anyone goes I will welcome reports.

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

TORB wrote:In terms of pricing, the 01 St Hugo has been on special at selcted retailers for $27.99 since it was released and I have yet to see it for less.

Ric, you obviously don't visit my site enough. ;-)
Cheers
Brian
Life's too short to drink white wine and red wine is better for you too! :-)

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

Anonymous wrote:Petaluma Coonawarra 02 is now around if you know where to look.

There are a lot of Petaluma official release tastings (incl Coonawarra 2002 and Shiraz 2003)on this weekend, most capital cities I resume.
Cheers
Brian

TORB

Post by TORB »

Red Bigot wrote:
TORB wrote:In terms of pricing, the 01 St Hugo has been on special at selcted retailers for $27.99 since it was released and I have yet to see it for less.

Ric, you obviously don't visit my site enough. ;-)

Brian, and you obviously don't visit this site enough. :shock: That post was made on 12 April. :P
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

latitude

Post by latitude »

This is turning into the defunct wineprose forum

why the need to advertise your own site or a tasting at an opposition retailer?? the level of self promotion here is bewildering. have some respect for the site owner please.

Post by Guest »

Second that

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

latitude wrote:This is turning into the defunct wineprose forum

Nothing could be that bad and your statement is patently wrong.

latitude wrote:why the need to advertise your own site or a tasting at an opposition retailer??

Gavin is cool with a link to my home page being in my tag line, he's a lot more relaxed about these things than some and I buy a bit of wine from him too. I think most people here would know about my site by now and I'm happy to take off the link if Gavin asks. I don't need to advertise, I'm not selling anything...

I don't think mentioning the fact that there are widespread free tastings of Petaluma new releases without mentioning any store names constitutes anything but a public service.

Maybe leave the moderating to Gavin and contact him for action if you are offended?
Cheers
Brian

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

TORB wrote:Brian, and you obviously don't visit this site enough. :shock: That post was made on 12 April. :P

Oops... :oops:
Cheers
Brian

latitude

Post by latitude »

Red Bigot wrote:

latitude wrote:why the need to advertise your own site or a tasting at an opposition retailer??

Gavin is cool with a link to my home page being in my tag line, he's a lot more relaxed about these things than some and I buy a bit of wine from him too. I think most people here would know about my site by now and I'm happy to take off the link if Gavin asks. I don't need to advertise, I'm not selling anything...

I don't think mentioning the fact that there are widespread free tastings of Petaluma new releases without mentioning any store names constitutes anything but a public service.

Maybe leave the moderating to Gavin and contact him for action if you are offended?

??? There is certainly a mention of a specific store name!

Its not the link that is annoying it is the incessant reference to your own sites

I think it is you that need to appreciate that.

Cue heavy back up...

latitude

Post by latitude »

Red Bigot wrote:

Its not the link that is annoying it is the incessant reference to your own sites

latitude

Post by latitude »

Red Bigot wrote:

latitude

Post by latitude »

sorry Gavin, slipped with the submit button!

TORB

Post by TORB »

Â…. regard to incessant reference to your own sites

I presume as you are mentioning the word “sites” with you must also be referring to mine.

Perhaps when people ask for tasting notes which are located on my site, I should ignore the request because you may not like my response.

Perhaps when people ask for certain information and it is located on my site, I should ignore the request because you don't like it when I mention where it can be located.

Perhaps when people ask when certain information that they know I am writing about will be published, perhaps I should ignore their request because you don't like me mentioning when and where the information will be available.

And I think you need to appreciate that I will continue to take exactly no notice of “drive by posters” coming along who remain anonymous and contribute nothing positive to this site and offer nothing but criticism and negativity.

If Gavin objects to the references to my site, or anything else for that matter, I am sure as he is done in the past, he will let me know, either publicly or in an email.

If you are a regular poster here, and have the intestinal fortitude to give us your name and tell us who you are, then I may take some notice of what you are saying. Otherwise, I try not to engage in conversations and won't lose sleep over criticism, from people who hide behind a phoney handle.

Now lets talk about wine :D and not what people don't like about this place; please! If I want to see negativity, I can watch the news!! :shock:
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

Post by Guest »

TORB wrote:
…And I think you need to appreciate that I will continue to take exactly no notice of “drive by posters” coming along who remain anonymous and contribute nothing positive to this site and offer nothing but criticism and negativity.
If you are a regular poster here, and have the intestinal fortitude to give us your name and tell us who you are, then I may take some notice of what you are saying. Otherwise, I try not to engage in conversations and won't lose sleep over criticism, from people who hide behind a phoney handle.

[b]:

Ah i think theres a name there

Post by Guest »

TORB wrote:
Â…. regard to incessant reference to your own sites

I presume as you are mentioning the word “sites” with you must also be referring to mine.

Perhaps when people ask for tasting notes which are located on my site, I should ignore the request because you may not like my response.

Perhaps when people ask for certain information and it is located on my site, I should ignore the request because you don't like it when I mention where it can be located.

Perhaps when people ask when certain information that they know I am writing about will be published, perhaps I should ignore their request because you don't like me mentioning when and where the information will be available.

And I think you need to appreciate that I will continue to take exactly no notice of “drive by posters” coming along who remain anonymous and contribute nothing positive to this site and offer nothing but criticism and negativity.

If Gavin objects to the references to my site, or anything else for that matter, I am sure as he is done in the past, he will let me know, either publicly or in an email.

Now lets talk about wine :D and not what people don't like about this place; please! If I want to see negativity, I can watch the news!! :shock:

TORB

Post by TORB »

Anonymous wrote:
Ah i think theres a name there

The rubbish in this thread is not worthy of any further response.