TNs: 'Anything but Shiraz' Vancouver off-line

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Mishy

TNs: 'Anything but Shiraz' Vancouver off-line

Post by Mishy »

1)Served with citrus marinated Albacor Tuna and basil roasted red pepper macki
-2002 Yalumba Hand Picked Riesling, Eden Valley
Green tinging, diesel and lemon nose, bone dry buttery viscous mouth-feel, flinty, smoky and citrus acid finish
Decent

2)Served with salmon and shrimp roullad on a mushroom and pesto mousse with creme fresh beurre blanc. This looked like the Carmen Miranda
-1999 Leeuwin Estate, Margaret River, Riesling Art Series
Very deep golden, one would interpret some serious age from this visual. Earthy smoke and limes, goat cheese and schist, bone dry and extremely pleasant with some lovely richness on the palate.

3) Served with demi-glazed lamb on a bed of some hickory smoked vegetables
- 1998 Clarendon Hills Blewit Springs Old Vines Grenache
Candied strawberry, licorice, soft oaky coconut and a nice meaty texture, The texture and colour deceived me into thinking of something beyond a Grenache, very full bodied and rich.

4) Served with hangar steak in a peppercorn sauce and drizzle of truffle oil, with garlic mash
- 1996 Glaetzer Malbec Cabernet, Barossa Valley
I brought this and tasted another bottle earlier in the week. There was some leakage from the cork, huge sediment. Big and stinky barn nose, just as I recall from the last bottle, although it seemed a bit thinner than the last bottle, perhaps there was some slight oxidization from the leakage.

5) Served with wild mushroom risotto
-1993 Penfolds Bin 707
Big and tight, very Cabernet nose of current, iron, cedar and some mocha oak. This was extremely intense and primary with strong peppery tannic support. No were near ready, needs cellar time and/or much more decanting. Excellent

6) Served with blue goose organic flat iron steak with pecans, sun-dried tomato's, and a veal stock and cranberry compote
- 1987 Ch. Tahbilk Cabernet Sauvignon (Victoria)
Rubber and lead, streak of VA, deep colour core and slight bricking. Soft tannins, very approachable and silky mouth-feel, mineral and raisin current fruit finish. Quite impressive at this age.

7) Served with red tuna and a black olive and tomato 'gastrique'
- 1999 Leeuwin Estate Cabernet Art Series (86% Cabernet Sauvignon, 11% Petit Verdot, and 3% Malbec).
I loved this wine, someone suggested this to be brooding, over the course of 2-3 hours it was indeed brooding and finally started to emerge, fortunately I saved this. The chocolate oak opened up to envelope this in richness. The black fruits are ripe but depicted a seriousness of a Bordeaux with stony gravel tannins. It's hot on the nose.
Excellent

Served with seared veal liver in an apple Madeira reduction and caramelized pearl onion lardon
1998 Virgin Hills, Victoria (Cabernet, Shiraz, Malbec, Merlot)
Ok, who brought the Shiraz blend ED ? Not only were the rules violated it was done by the organizer of this off-line. Awkward nose of dark pruney fruit, smoke and band-aide. Lean-ish palate of cooked vegetables, and some hot alcohol rhubarb acidity. Definitely a food wine that benefited from the earthiness of the liver onion lardon. The finish seemed compromised by the acid.

9) Served with a selection of beautiful French and Italian white cheeses
-1996 Henschke Cyril Henschke Cabernet
Great big Porty nose and palate, extremely tannic as I'm finding comes with these '96s, the fruit holds out and opens up eventually with lovely sweetness. Acidity is on the low side and I think the tannins are disjointed and a bit abusive to the fruit.

10) Served with the remainder of the cheeses
-CampbellÂ’s Rutherglen Muscat (NV)
Oh-oh, I LOVED this little wine. Yummy nose of strawberry tea, far to easy to drink with light-ish to medium viscosity, soft acid but not cloying but refreshing. I think Bob and I could've drank two more bottles of this . I loved smelling it, it was just so pretty and pleasant.
Great way to end a a tasting.
Well behaved women rarely make history

escargot

Post by escargot »

Mishy - I had saliva dripping from my mouth reading that menu- looked delicous!!! :lol:
Will have to re-read the post now to concentrate on the wines.

Mishy

Post by Mishy »

Escargot,
You'll be happy to keep noted, I'll be posting the pictures of the dishes as soon as they're uploaded, today or tomorrow :D
Very pretty food, we missed the first course picture tho, too busy eating it !!
A pic of the bottles will replace it.
Well behaved women rarely make history

bacchaebabe

Post by bacchaebabe »

My God! Did you actually eat ALL that? Won't need to eat for the rest of the month. Sounded rather decadent which is my favourite kind of meal.
Cheers,
Kris

There's a fine wine between pleasure and pain
(Stolen from the graffiti in the ladies loos at Pegasus Bay winery)