NFR: A blatant plug

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
GrahamB

NFR: A blatant plug

Post by GrahamB »

Not forum related and if it is not permitted Gavin, please delete.

I am helping to put together a dinner matching St Hallett wines to food. Stuart Blackwell will be present.

The dinner will be held in Brisbane on the 31st May. Any Brisbane forumites interested, send me a PM.

The menu (Some ideas for you here Brian)

Graham

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

st hallett wine dinner

sparkling: black shiraz n.v.

onion marmalade and semi-dried tomato bruschetta
turkey, brie and cranberry on pumpernickel rounds
bocconcini and prosciutto bites

04 eden valley riesling (2004 best riesling of the year)

steamed scallops with ginger
spanner crab salad with red chilli dressing

04 semillon sauvignon blanc

mango chicken with asparagus wrapped in prosciutto

03 grenache shiraz touriga g.s.t.

muscat glazed duck with roasted pears

01 old block shiraz

eggplant and ricotta rolls smothered with a rich
tomato salsa topped with roasted pine nuts

03 blackwell shiraz

a platter of full flavoured cheeses with assorted breads
Chardonnay: A drink you have when there is no RED wine, the beer hasn't arrived and the water may be polluted

GrahamB

Post by GrahamB »

To follow up on the dinner, a special price list will be offered for all the wines on the table. Not yet available as we are still working on the distributer to get the best prices.

Graham
Chardonnay: A drink you have when there is no RED wine, the beer hasn't arrived and the water may be polluted

Red Bigot

Re: NFR: A blatant plug

Post by Red Bigot »

GrahamB wrote:

01 old block shiraz

I think they could find a better match for the 01 Old Block :-(
Cheers
Brian
Life's too short to drink white wine and red wine is better for you too! :-)

GrahamB

Re: NFR: A blatant plug

Post by GrahamB »

Red Bigot wrote:
GrahamB wrote:

01 old block shiraz

I think they could find a better match for the 01 Old Block :-(

Perhaps, but I am not the chef. They are trained to do these things you know.

Post by Guest »

Perhaps, but I am not the chef. They are trained to do these things you know.

Graham,

Most chefs have very little, if any, formal wine training.

The match which has been described here looks very ordinary, if not completely out of sync. On this (mis)match alone I wouldn't attend.

On further scrutiny, the only match that looks like it may go anywhere is the Black Shiraz match.

I would be interested to know who the chef will be that night, and I know its cheeky, but what age they are too! The chances are that the chef matching the food for the wine is 20 years old and doesn't even drink wine.
If he isn't and he does, then I can't wait for your nights' feedback.

I gladly back Brian on this one.

Your welcome,
Mikey

Handy

Post by Handy »

I actually think that most of the matches look very good, I think the only odd one out is the old block with a tomato salsa based ditch. Riesling and scallops with ginger, semillon sauvignon with asparagus? These sound entirely appropriate to me and quite delicious.

I don't live in Brisbane so won't be able to make this dinner but appreciate you posting GrahamB and Gavin for letting you promote this. I think it would be polite of you to not mention the price list for purchasing these wines that will be distributed after the dinner though as that is a direct conflict with Gavin's wine store.

GrahamB

Post by GrahamB »

Handy wrote:I actually think that most of the matches look very good, I think the only odd one out is the old block with a tomato salsa based ditch. Riesling and scallops with ginger, semillon sauvignon with asparagus? These sound entirely appropriate to me and quite delicious.

I don't live in Brisbane so won't be able to make this dinner but appreciate you posting GrahamB and Gavin for letting you promote this.

I think it would be polite of you to not mention the price list for purchasing these wines that will be distributed after the dinner though as that is a direct conflict with Gavin's wine store.

Point taken Handy and I will not set out any pricing.

I find it interesting that we all have set ideas on what food will match what wine style. A few years ago I would never have tried red wine with Thai food until I tried it. Now I drink red & white wine when I eat Thai, which is every week.

Last night I had a Majella "The Musician" with a Thai Chicken stir fry. Perfect.

The chef by the way is mid to late 30's and loves to experiment with food/wine mixes. At our last event, he was asked to come out of the kitchen to the applause of the guests for a spectacular effort.

Graham

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

GrahamB wrote:I find it interesting that we all have set ideas on what food will match what wine style. A few years ago I would never have tried red wine with Thai food until I tried it. Now I drink red & white wine when I eat Thai, which is every week.

Last night I had a Majella "The Musician" with a Thai Chicken stir fry. Perfect.

Dunno about the set ideas bit, a red bigot breaks a lot of food/wine "rules" all the time, I think I'm the one who started the "Oz Shiraz with Thai" idea many years ago. I still don't see the firmish/oaky young Old Block 2001 going with the listed dish. I may be wrong, but like Mikey it would probably be enough to put me off the dinner rather than take the chance. I'm sure you'll tell us how successful it was anyway ;-)

I'm glad you enjoyed The Musician with a Thai chicken dish, it's a lovely food wine and good value.
Cheers
Brian
Life's too short to drink white wine and red wine is better for you too! :-)