Greatest 2000 Vintage Wine to Drink in 2021

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Adair

Greatest 2000 Vintage Wine to Drink in 2021

Post by Adair »

Hello All,

A friend of mine wants to buy a 6-pack of 2000 Penfolds Grange to celebrate their child's 21st birthday in 2021 (obviously born in 2000), especially as they bought a 6-pack of 1996 Grange for their first child (obviously born in 1996). However, I am recommending against this but I obviously need to back up my comments with other recommended 2000 vintage wines.

My first thought was the 2000 Brokenwood Graveyard Shiraz, and a friend recommended the 2000 d-Arenberg "The Coppermine Road" Cabernet Sauvignon. I also thought about Bordeaux, given the vintage, but I think a wine for this purpose should be Australian, as well as possibly something from Central Victoria but nothing specifically strong comes to mind.

So, what are people's recommendations? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Kind regards,
Adair

Andrew Jordan

Post by Andrew Jordan »

Although I haven't tried them, the 2000 Elderton Command and the 2000 Balnaves Tally got some good reviews. Also 2000 Maleea from Majella is not a bad drop. Agree on the 2000 Graveyard, great wine.

However, none of these are from Central Victoria.

AJ

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

If the purse is large enough (which it may well be if considering a six pack of 2000 Grange), Wild Duck Creek Duck Muck? Heathcote is central Victoria at least... you have Jasper Hill as a cheaper option. Ron's 2000 reds are great and I've had some 10-15 year old Emily's Paddocks blends that are phenomenal, no dramas for ageing potential there - could always grab some magnums of the Georgia's if there's doubt.

Away from Vic, Wendouree? Henschke HoG (no idea about vintage reports)?
Max
-----
Avant d’être bon, un vin doit être vrai

Kieran

Post by Kieran »

Hmm...

Yeringberg Cabernet Blend (JO 94, 12-20+)
Lakes Folly (JO 96, 12-20+)
Bannockburn Shiraz (JO 96, 12-20)
Brokenwood Graveyard (JO 96, 12-20)
Cullen DM (JO 97, 12-20+)
D'Arenberg Vintage Fortified Shiraz (JO 95,20-30+)
Dalwhinnie Eagle Shiraz (JO 95, 12-20)
Domaine A Cabernet Sauvignon (JO 96, 12-20+)
Hewitson Old Garden Mouvedre (JO 95, 12-20)
Houghton Gladstones Shiraz (JO 95, 12-20)
Mt Mary Quintet (JO 97, 12-20+)
Mt Pleasant Maurice Oshea Shiraz (JO 94, 12-20; Halliday 97)
Redbank Sally's Paddock (JO 93, 12-20+)
Seppelt St Peters (JO 95, 12-20+)
Stanton & Killeen Jack's Block Shiraz (JO 93, 12-20)
Warrenmang Estate Shiraz (JO 93, 12-20)
Yarra Yarra The Yarra Yarra (JO 96, 12-20)

From everything I've read about 2000 Grange, buying it to cellar for 20 years would be an expensive error.

Kieran
"In the wine of life, some of us are destined to be cork sniffers." - Dilbert

Post by Guest »

Kays Block 6
Majella Malleea
Jasper Hill

Jakob

Post by Jakob »

If it has to be Australian, Meshach is good for 2000, agree on the Duck Muck too, though there's no track record for that long on either. Kieran's on the money with the Cullen, no? How did Wendouree fare at the fold of the millenia? Maurice O'Shea? Georgia's Paddock in a Magnum? :?

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

Gee Adair, given the paucity of 200 generally across Australia I would have gone for Bordeaux as well. If your friend can stretch for a sixpack of Grange, a 6 pack of quality bordeax should be achievable.

If ti has to be Australian, there are some good suggestions already, 2000 Coonawarra should be worth a look: Balnaves Tally, Parker First Growth would do the trick.

Cheers

Andrew

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

Have same issue at hand (birth year of daughter - 2000). Was also interetsted in Victorian, and if possible central Victorian, wine.

Have stashed away (up to a 6 pack in each case);
Hanging Rock Heathcote Shiraz
Craiglee Shiraz
Chateu Leamon Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon
Seppelt St Peters
Heathcote Winery Mail Coach Shiraz

Contemplated, but was too late
Chateu Leamon Reserve Shiraz

No idea if they'll last 21 years, doubt I'll be able to keep my hands off them that long anyway. Trying to at least hold back for significant birthdays etc. Certainly another one drinking well now, although from SA is the Maxwell Ellen St Shiraz (again no idea on aging potential, thoughts welcome). Bordeaux too spendy for moi.

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

What about a VP. Perhaps Rockford might have one for sale soon ?

Mike

Neville Nessuno

Post by Neville Nessuno »

A hard one as birth wines are normally sentimental purchases rather than necessarily rational ones

Will the 21 year old have enough wine nouse at that age to discern Grange from other potentially better purchases? Or will the iconic status dominate.

Is it for show or go, is what I suppose I'm saying? I think this is a real issue. Some of the other wines mooted will probably not be around in 20 years as a label but may outlast the Grange (or not )

My 2c worth is stay with the Grange.

ps where do you get a six pack of 2000 grange

NN

Post by Guest »

graveyard graveyard graveyard.

cm

Gavin Trott

Post by Gavin Trott »

Well, not everyone likes the style, but Wendouree wines from 2000 should definitely last the distance, and still be going strong.

A lot cheaper than Grange, even on the secondary market, and also easier to find. A 6 pack of 2000 Grange may be hard to find?
regards

Gavin Trott

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Gavin

I personally believe that at 21 years most people would be impressed with Wendouree. Keeping in perspective the style and cost. I am not sure about 00 Clare though. Anybody tried?

Another for the long haul is the 00 Red Edge shiraz from Heathcote. Monster wine. Hard to get and a little obscure.

Go Bordeaux 1st Growth. Will be a house deposit for the 21 year old!

Post by Guest »

Neville Nessuno wrote:My 2c worth is stay with the Grange.

NN

It will be dead as a doornail in 2021. Any 2000 Barossa will be.

GW

Adair

Post by Adair »

Anonymous wrote:

NN

GW

Gary,

Peter Gago and Penfolds don't believe so. See here:
http://www.penfolds.com.au/Grange/tastingnotes/Grange2000.pdf

Their drinking window for the wine is 2008-2025. Now who do I believe more? :)

Adair

Adam

Post by Adam »

Wine Advocate #143 (Oct 2002) Robert Parker (89-91) points Drink 2006-2018
Produced from 100% Shiraz, the 2000 Grange was adversely affected by unusual rains in late February and early March, which disrupted the ripening as well as the harvest. The winemaking team at Grange thinks it will be a medium-weight example to drink early. It reveals a deep ruby/purple color, sweet black currant flavors, and plenty of charm, seductiveness, and purity. It should be approachable when released in 2006. Anticipated maturity: 2006-2018.

The Parker review...seems the winemaking team is changing their minds...

Baby Chickpea

Post by Baby Chickpea »

I don't think the 00 Grange will be "dead as a doornail" either. Even the worst Granges I've tasted and drunk have lasted 20 yrs + (and drunk OK-ish if not pretty well) like the 65, 68, 69,73, 74. Even the more recent poorer Granges 87, 89, 92, 97 will go twenty years IMO easy. Take into account that, on average, we are more careful with cellaring than say a deacd ago, then I don't think there is any reason to doubt that the 00 Grange will go twenty one years. the question is how much will it improve, if any? But that's not the point. The point is in good cellars even Koonunga Hill will make 21. But there are better options IMO (2nd growth Bordeaux, fortifieds, Graveyard, etc)
Danny

The voyage of discovery lies not in finding new landscapes but in having new eyes. We must never be afraid to go too far, for success lies just beyond - Marcel Proust

Post by Guest »

Adair wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

NN

GW

Gary,

Peter Gago and Penfolds don't believe so. See here:
http://www.penfolds.com.au/Grange/tastingnotes/Grange2000.pdf

Their drinking window for the wine is 2008-2025. Now who do I believe more? :)

Adair

Peter Gago -

"It's a definitive Grange, albeit a Grange from a very difficult year," he said.

"Mind you, if I had a bottle in front of me tonight, I'd be drinking it."

http://www.finance.news.com.au/story/0, ... 62,00.html

Why on earth would you want to pay top dollar to cellar an inferior vintage? You would have to be nuts. 2000 Graveyard will eat it.

GW

crow

Post by crow »

Or the debut 8h Maker from Saltram.

Adam

Post by Adam »

Im definately with Gary here...for the 400-700 price, you can buy soooooo much better.

Scoobinski

Post by Scoobinski »

Adair,
My vote would be for the 2000 WDC Reserve Shiraz. At $80-100 at auction, is a wonderful wine. From what I have heard of recent tastings for the earlier WDC vintages, the ageing potential is looking promising. I last tried it a couple of years ago, and was spectacular!
Scoob