Torb, is it just my impression or

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Serge Birbrair

Torb, is it just my impression or

Post by Serge Birbrair »

you GENUINELY dislike anything French?

http://www.torbwine.com/pa/2005/The%20M ... Dinner.htm

TORB

Post by TORB »

Serge,

It's just your impression. Those TN's were made by two of the attendees, not by me. It is only the conclusion that is mine.

I love good French wine, be it Bordeaux, Burgundy or Rhone. The only issue is there is a lot of overpriced crap out there. If I spend $50-150 a bottle on OZ wine, there is a very high probability I will get something very good. If I spend that much on a bottle of French wine, its still a crap shoot.
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

Post by Guest »

TORB wrote:Serge,

If I spend that much on a bottle of French wine, its still a crap shoot.

no pun intended?!! :wink: :wink: :lol:

Serge Birbrair

Post by Serge Birbrair »

TORB wrote:Serge,

It's just your impression. Those TN's were made by two of the attendees, not by me. It is only the conclusion that is mine.

I love good French wine, be it Bordeaux, Burgundy or Rhone. The only issue is there is a lot of overpriced crap out there. If I spend $50-150 a bottle on OZ wine, there is a very high probability I will get something very good. If I spend that much on a bottle of French wine, its still a crap shoot.

Torb,
I enjoyed the read and check your site for insights,
thank you for clarifications. I understand you completely.

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Serge

It is important to note that the price of French red is exorbitant in Australian and distorts QPR unfairly.

I believe the French to be catching up in the QPR stakes versus Australian premium wine. But I think the high Australian dollar, the amount of unsold Australian premium wine on export markets and domestic economy pressures will see an adjustment. Australian premium wine will be forced back to becoming outstanding QPR.

Serge Birbrair

Post by Serge Birbrair »

JamieBahrain wrote:Serge

It is important to note that the price of French red is exorbitant in Australian and distorts QPR unfairly.

I believe the French to be catching up in the QPR stakes versus Australian premium wine. But I think the high Australian dollar, the amount of unsold Australian premium wine on export markets and domestic economy pressures will see an adjustment. Australian premium wine will be forced back to becoming outstanding QPR.

Jamie, I understand the economics of it, my interest was, however, in the emotional aspect of it.

Muscat Mike

Re: Torb, is it just my impression or

Post by Muscat Mike »

[quote="Serge"]you GENUINELY dislike anything French?

No Serge that is me :!: :!:
MM.

Serge Birbrair

Post by Serge Birbrair »

Muscat Mike wrote:
Serge wrote:you GENUINELY dislike anything French?

No Serge that is me :!: :!:
MM.

Mike, I was in your shoes, untill we took the trip to New York and Paris and exposed ourselves to Bordeaux. Our limited knowledge of CdP and Rhone Valley, plus some bad luck with St. Emilion, was the main reason why we didn't like anything French. With the help of fellow board members, we discovered "terra nova" for us.

As the result, 5 cases of California Merlot went back to the store and was replaced with French Cabs/Merlot mixes and California Cabs.

We still hang to our Australian Shiraz, though. Foxy and Marquis Phillip are IRREPLACABLE with hot spicy Thai food.

Muscat Mike

Post by Muscat Mike »

I think if you tried my shoes you would have room to spare.
My dislike of things " French" arises from Mururoa Atoll and the sinking of the Rainbow Warrior.
MM.

bacchaebabe

Post by bacchaebabe »

Serge,

"Foxy" isn't a term that anyone else uses for Fox Creek Wines. Makes you sound like a tourist. No offence -just a thought.
Cheers,
Kris

There's a fine wine between pleasure and pain
(Stolen from the graffiti in the ladies loos at Pegasus Bay winery)

Serge Birbrair

Post by Serge Birbrair »

bacchaebabe wrote:Serge,

"Foxy" isn't a term that anyone else uses for Fox Creek Wines. Makes you sound like a tourist. No offence -just a thought.

bacchaebabe, I am LESS than a tourist...I never been to Australia
:(
I learned "Foxy" term on this board from Chow Chow. No offense taken, on top of being less than a tourist, English is not my native language, so feel free to correct me, I learn from it.

Serge Birbrair

Post by Serge Birbrair »

Muscat Mike wrote:I think if you tried my shoes you would have room to spare.
My dislike of things " French" arises from Mururoa Atoll and the sinking of the Rainbow Warrior.
MM.

well.....Germans did a lot to my "tribe", which doesn't prevent me from having German friends or drink their wines (not red, though, they suck! :)

we ALL have our prejudicies, and combating them can be lots of fun
:)

lantana

Post by lantana »

Muscat Mike wrote:I think if you tried my shoes you would have room to spare.
MM.

Yeah & don't forget Marie Antoinette, French rugby forwards, the Vichy Government & snails!

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

Serge wrote:We still hang to our Australian Shiraz, though. Foxy and Marquis Phillip are IRREPLACABLE with hot spicy Thai food.

Serge, this is the most insightful thing you've said in weeks. ;-)

I've been telling people for years that Aus. Shiraz that isn't too tannic or oaky is a brilliant match with genuine Thai food. To that you can add Aus Durif (or at least Warrabilla Durif). The fruit sweetness and balance of the good examples of these wines makes a great match with many spicy food as well as Thai.
Cheers
Brian
Life's too short to drink white wine and red wine is better for you too! :-)

bigkid

Post by bigkid »

Brian,

Just tried the Warrabilla Durifs last night, the Parola's and the Reserve. The Parola's was a mind blowing experience, but had not thought of matching with Thai. Will give it a good try when the case I ordered today arrives.

Regards,

Allan

Serge Birbrair

Post by Serge Birbrair »

bigkid wrote:Brian,

Just tried the Warrabilla Durifs last night, the Parola's and the Reserve. The Parola's was a mind blowing experience, but had not thought of matching with Thai. Will give it a good try when the case I ordered today arrives.

Regards,

Allan

Alan,
when your mouth is on fire, good Australian Shiraz works like a fire extinguisher. You NEED all the alchohol you can get to wash away the spice, no "sissy wine" would do it. We tried others, but they either lack alchohol, or fruit, or acidity. Shiraz is just perfect!

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

Serge wrote:

Regards,

Allan

Alan,
when your mouth is on fire, good Australian Shiraz works like a fire extinguisher. You NEED all the alchohol you can get to wash away the spice, no "sissy wine" would do it. We tried others, but they either lack alchohol, or fruit, or acidity. Shiraz is just perfect!

I agree with these comments. While I may say that the higher alcohol wines tend to stick out like dogs balls in a Blacktounges line-up (where the wines are only accompanied by some cheese/nibbles), there isn't a better match for spicy food.

I've also found (young) Grenache to be a particularly good match for Mexican food - that slightly sweet/minty/porty edge, mid-weight body, and highish alcohol seems to work well with the hot twang of Jalapenos!

Cheers
Ian
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.

Serge Birbrair

Post by Serge Birbrair »

Ian, I learned this trick with alcohol long time ago, when I was trying to put down the fires in the mouth with water. It didn't work! The guy at the table told me to drink vodka instead, I thought he was nuts, but followed his advice anyway. Vodka did the trick right away and he explained to me that spice on the tongue is oily, water doesn't dissolve the oils, but alcohol does!

Post by Guest »

lantana wrote:Yeah & don't forget Marie Antoinette, French rugby forwards, the Vichy Government & snails!

Careful Lantana or I might get on my high horse about noxious weeds.
MM 8) :wink:

TORB

Post by TORB »

Anonymous wrote:Careful Lantana or I might get on my high horse about noxious weeds.
MM 8) :wink:

Well said Mike, :wink: and I am willingto bet there are not too many people on this forum that take a size UK13 or US14 shoe size. :shock:
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

GrahamB

Post by GrahamB »

n4sir wrote:
Serge wrote:

Regards,

Allan

Alan,

I've also found (young) Grenache to be a particularly good match for Mexican food - that slightly sweet/minty/porty edge, mid-weight body, and highish alcohol seems to work well with the hot twang of Jalapenos!

Cheers
Ian

This fits with my favourite red with Thai - Rockford Moppa Springs

Graham
Chardonnay: A drink you have when there is no RED wine, the beer hasn't arrived and the water may be polluted

escargot

Post by escargot »

Torb - what are some good examples of Aussie Shiraz to match with Thai?
Cheers!

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

escargot wrote:Torb - what are some good examples of Aussie Shiraz to match with Thai?
Cheers!

I'm not TORB, but I guess you mean me anyway, since I'm the one pushing the Shiraz/Thai barrow. How many do you want? here are some that I've tried, not necessarily as young wines, some would be a little aggressive on first release, better with a few years of age.

Berrys Bridge 1998/2001
Best Bin O
Charles Cimicky
Charles Melton
Dalwhinnie
d'Arenberg Laughing Magpie
Eden Springs
Gemtree Uncut
Heartland Directors Cut
Heathcote Winery Mailcoach
Huntington Estate
Killerby
Kirrihill
Marius
Maxwell Ellen St
Mitchelton Print
Noons
Petaluma
Pikes
Rosemount Hill of Gold
Seppelt Chalambar
Tahbilk
Taylors
Thorn Clarke Shotfire
Turkey Flat
Tyrrells Rufus Stone
Warrabilla
Zema Estate

and there are a lot more...
Cheers
Brian

scottv

Post by scottv »

I had the 2003 Glaymond Shiraz cleanskin with Thai last week. Loved it.

Cheers

Scott

escargot

Post by escargot »

Sorry, I did mean you Brian. Thanks!

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

scottv wrote:I had the 2003 Glaymond Shiraz cleanskin with Thai last week. Loved it.

Cheers

Scott

Still waiting on mine to arrive, thanks for the recommendation re Thai food for this one.
Cheers
Brian

GrahamB

Post by GrahamB »

Red Bigot wrote:
scottv wrote:I had the 2003 Glaymond Shiraz cleanskin with Thai last week. Loved it.

Cheers

Scott

Still waiting on mine to arrive, thanks for the recommendation re Thai food for this one.

Me too. Should be here around 8am tomorrow. Do you think it will be too soon to open one tomorrow night? I could wait til Friday (if you think it could have bottle shock) when we are going out to Thai one on.

Graham
Chardonnay: A drink you have when there is no RED wine, the beer hasn't arrived and the water may be polluted

scottv

Post by scottv »

Graham,

Mine arrived in Townsville at work on the Friday morning. Had it on Friday night 10 minutes after getting home. (Was a very bad day :twisted: )

Thought it was good but in saying that the next bottle (a week later) was better. But the second bottle was decanted for a couple of hours.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Scott

GrahamB

Post by GrahamB »

scottv wrote:Graham,

Mine arrived in Townsville at work on the Friday morning. Had it on Friday night 10 minutes after getting home. (Was a very bad day :twisted: )

Thought it was good but in saying that the next bottle (a week later) was better. But the second bottle was decanted for a couple of hours.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Scott

I can set my watch on the Fastway guy. He was here right on 8am. Does it every time. Home from work late tonight so didn't open anything myself. Did get to taste the new Grant Burge Nebuchadnessar [sp] though. Needs some open time to show it's class which it seems to have heaps of.

Might take a Moppa Springs tomorrow night at Forever Thai here in Brisbane.

For Brisbane Thai eaters - we did try Thai Wi-Rat in the Valley on Monday night. Not a patch on Forever Thai or My Thai.

Graham

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

GrahamB wrote:For Brisbane Thai eaters - we did try Thai Wi-Rat in the Valley on Monday night. Not a patch on Forever Thai or My Thai.

Graham

I really liked Wi Rat last time I was there (and yes, its the name of the Restaurant, not one of the entrees). Yalunba Viognier worked well with the food.

u r too fussy mr butcher!