Q:Henschke Mount Edlestone 2001 and Wirra Wirra RSW 2002

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Guest_Anders

Q:Henschke Mount Edlestone 2001 and Wirra Wirra RSW 2002

Post by Guest_Anders »

Hi,

My name is Anders and I have asked a few questions before on this forum. I live in Sweden and I see that the Swedish monopoly will release 2 wines that I have tried and anjoyed (previous vintages) when I was living in Asutralia.

Henschke Mount Edelstone 2001 aprox AUD 90.00
Wirra Wirra RSW 2002 aprox 63.00

Any thoughts on the wines and the prices? I know that the prices can sometimes be a bit high, but we are not allowed to privately import wine to Sweden, so.....

/Anders

Post by 707 »

Anders, save yourself some money here, the 2002 RSW is a fantastic wine, far superior to the Mount Edelstone so I'd be going that way.
Cheers - Steve
If you can see through it, it's not worth drinking!

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Anders,

I prefer the '01 Mt Edelstone (probably a lone sheep in a field of cattle). I found the RSW a little green and heavy on the oak, although it did improve with 48hrs in the bottle. What style of wine do you enjoy? The RSW and Edelstone are pretty different..

The prices are expensive - they cost 30% less in Oz (which is to be expected?? I dunno).

Cheers,
Max
-----
Avant d’être bon, un vin doit être vrai

Gues_Anders

Post by Gues_Anders »

Thank you to both Steve and Max.

YEah, I figured that the prices were a bit high compared to Oz, but that's life. Some OZ wines are pretty well prced over here, but motsly I find that there's a difference of 15 - 25% (Sweden being more expensive).

As for the wines I like, mostly BIG flavoursome reds, but the Mount Edelstones I have tried have been excellent food wines, so "elegance" goes down well too.

Enjoyed the the Duck Muck 2000, Stonehorse Shiraz 2002 and a bottle of Clerc Milon 1986 the other day, all very different, but all very good and very enjoyable just the same. Unfortunately the Stonehorse was soemwhat "killed", as it was opened after the Duck Muck.

Thanks again, /Anders

escargot

Post by escargot »

Hi Anders,
I lived in Oslo for a few years and quite often went across the border to Gothenburg to stock up on wine and beer. From what I recall the wines on offer were a little limited (could be different in Stockholm). I now live in Brussels and got my hands on some Wirra Wirra and have tried both. For me the Wirra Wirra is a great wine so stock up whilst you can.

Adair

Post by Adair »

I have had both wines and both wines are excellent.

Yes, they are different in styles.

Even at those prices in Australia, I reckon they would be worth one or two bottles, especially the RSW for controlled ripeness and depth, so given that you are drip-fed our wines, I reckons you at least have access to some of the better ones.

Adair

P.S. Here is my short tasting note of the 2001 Henschke Mount Edelstone Shiraz, taken at a Henschke dinner on 16th September 2004: Beautifully perfumed and intense sweet spice and fruitcake Shiraz fruit with a very noticeable amount of anise. Great balance throughout the wine aided by fine, ripe tannins. Broad without needing to rely on power, although enough is there. Nice caramel on the finish.

...and I had the 2002 RSW yesterday.

Adair

Guest_Anders

Post by Guest_Anders »

Thank you to escargot and Adair,

Looks like I will be hanging on the door when they open on Monday, since there aren't many bottles available of either of the wines.

I will definately go for a couple of bottles of the RSW, and we'll se about the Mount Edelstone.

I was lucky to pick up a few bottles of the Amon Ra 2002 and 2003 and Peter Lehman's Stonewell 1998 last year.

Thank you for your help and input.

Anders

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Guest_Anders wrote:Thank you to escargot and Adair,

Looks like I will be hanging on the door when they open on Monday, since there aren't many bottles available of either of the wines.

I will definately go for a couple of bottles of the RSW, and we'll se about the Mount Edelstone.

I was lucky to pick up a few bottles of the Amon Ra 2002 and 2003 and Peter Lehman's Stonewell 1998 last year.

Thank you for your help and input.

Anders

Anders,

Very, very jealous of your '02 Amon Ra acquisition. I have a case of the '03 and purchased an extra bottle with it to try now, and it was exquisite. The '98 Stonewell is also a very, very good wine. I am bitterly disappointed that I didn't buy more when I could have, resorting to the secondary market now and paying for it.

Cheers,
Max
-----
Avant d’être bon, un vin doit être vrai