wine labels

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
escargot

wine labels

Post by escargot »

Could anbody provide me with some advice on preserving wine labels. I have re-read some old threads but would love to here some do's and don't so my wine labels stay intact.
I have two libeherr wine fridges and both have alot of wine inside. Obviously the bottles are closely stacked, with bottles with aging potential stacked on the bottom of shelves.
I read on previous posts to be careful of cling wrap, and certain types of paper. Maybe the bottles will never be resold or sent to auction but I would like to get into good habits should I wish to offload the wine down the track.
I would love to have cellar space to give each bottle space but this is not possible whilst renting.
Would love to hear how other collectors with wine fridges protect their lables!
Cheer :D

Kieran

Post by Kieran »

Attila has written that he keeps his wines wrapped in newspaper, to keep the labels pristine.

Kieran

SueNZ

Post by SueNZ »

What is wrong with cling wrap?

escargot

Post by escargot »

I read a past post from Adam that stated,

"Dont wrap your bottles in cling wrap intending to protect the label...it removes a large portion of the gold embossing on labels when removed...grrrr....just found out the hard way."

Newspaper does not sound like the best solution either. I can't imagine long term cellared bottles not picking up some of the print, especially with white labelling.

Maybe the bottle will not mark :roll: at all but better to be safe than sorry!!!!

Adam

Post by Adam »

Indeed that was what I found...works for a short period of time, but I have found that the cling wrap strips some of the printing, especially gold embossing, also risk of moisture getting in and not being able to escape as cling wrap cannot breathe.

Adam

Post by Adam »

BTW: Whats wrong with tissue wrap??

escargot

Post by escargot »

Another warning in a prvious thread (perhaps to your post, cannot remember) warned some tissue paper with acid could affect the bottles.
Living in Brussels I don't like my chance of finding out whether the paper is acid free - my French is dreadful!!!!